Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Languages
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Michael AC
Aside from English, I am curious as to what language is most widely spoken by members since we are such a diverse group.

In that language is there a specific dialect or flavor?

The Uncreator
Aside from my expert Engrish, I can vaguely understand German. Terrible at writing it, and I probably only use the proper article (der, die, das) about 1/3 of the time laugh.gif
del-4fr53e3
I speak Norwegian and English. At school I studied French for 5 years (but I am lousy at it and I don't remember much). I've also been learning japanese for a couple of years, but I am only learning smile.gif
PosterBoy
Slowly learning Portuguese (Brazilian) I'm not good at languages though sad.gif
Gitarrero
Besides english I can speak german (my mothertongue). Since I am from the northwest (called Muensterland) I can speak with a northern dialect, which would still be very understandable even when you just learned the language. Now I live in the southwest where people speak a really weird dialect and I honestly don't always get what they say laugh.gif
I used to be good at french, I can still read it at a good level and also understand most of what people would say to me in french, but talking in french is pretty tough smile.gif
I am learning spanish at the moment, and I gotta say I understand pretty much when I read or listen to someone, I think it's because some words are similar to the french or even english words, just pronounced differently.
I also speak a tiny bit of japanese and am cuurently working on that as well.
snackajacks
In the netherlands we speak dutch but where I live in the south, we have an dialect called 'limburgs' it sounds like
the german language. My education is in english because its an international one. Further I have learned some words french.
edguy
Well i'm speaking, ich spreche, je parle, English, Deutsch (German) and française (french).

But i hope no one try to speak french with me, because i learned it in school and forgot almost everything.

Where i live in Germany the people speaking two different dialects depending on the different regions in the state "Baden-Württemberg":

Badisch oder Schwäbisch (Baden or Swabian).

I try to avoid to speak one of these two dialects and speak standard german instead (high german, gitarrero called it northern dialect smile.gif
llibach
Being from Wales which is part of the U.K I speak English of course but my first language is Welsh which we speak at home and the main language in my part of the country.
Saoirse O'Shea
Irish, Castellano and English:

Irish - but I'm very rusty as no one that I know speaks any.

Castellano (or what most people think of as Spanish). I tend to use the Andaluz dialect - I drop 's' that are on the end of words and pronounce things like 'j' as harder than someone from outside of Andulicia might. I sometimes go with the very local version, which is very fast and full of local slang.

In Castellano people say, 'Buenos dias'
In Andaluz it's, 'Bueno dia'
Very local version is, 'Bue'.

English - very rusty...

My wife can speak English, Castellano and French, my daughter can speak English and Castellano and my mother can speak Cantonese, English, German, Russian and Arabic.
Ben Higgins
Apart from my native English I can do a little bit of German.. enough to make myself understood.

Most of the French I did at school I've forgotten.

A little bit of 'dojo' Japanese wink.gif

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 14 2012, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can vaguely understand German. Terrible at writing it, and I probably only use the proper article (der, die, das) about 1/3 of the time laugh.gif

Yeah, I could never get my head around the Der, Die, Das thing either laugh.gif

Das Auto
Der Mann
Die Frau
Sensible Jones
Aside from English I am quite fluent in Sarcasm!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Seriously though, I have a very basic level of French, German and Spanish.
Remember......
Google Translate is your friend!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Gitarrero
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 14 2012, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Google Translate is your friend!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

No it's not laugh.gif
Todd tried it once to write me something encouraging in german...the result was hilarious laugh.gif
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jan 14 2012, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it's not laugh.gif
Todd tried it once to write me something encouraging in german...the result was hilarious laugh.gif

That was me being fluent in Sarcasm then!!
wink.gif
laugh.gif laugh.gif
Daniel Realpe
I speak spanish , english, and understand portuguese quite a bit like 80%, and I understand Italian probably 50%...but that's built in because those languages are pretty similar to spanish,

Fran
Just spanish smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
My main language is Spanish... and I'm still learning English!! smile.gif
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Fran @ Jan 14 2012, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just spanish smile.gif

laugh.gif
jstcrsn
can anyone give me some help speaking " Female"
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 14 2012, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, sure..

Silence = You've done something wrong.

laugh.gif
Michael AC
That is pretty amazing. It is broader than I expected. It also seems that if you are from Europe it is more natural to learn multiple languages.

I have thought it would be good to learn another language, but honestly I think I would loose it like many have said about French.

With all of that it is amazing how music transcends it all.

Thanks for everyone's input. I suppose being in America, it will be good to learn Spanish.
jstcrsn
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Jan 14 2012, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. I suppose being in America

it might be necessary to learn beggar or homeless
I am sorry,that was just to easy
MonkeyDAthos
Português (Portugal) and Rusty English but enough to handle movies without subs tongue.gif !
Dinaga
I know English and Bosnian. That kinda includes a big part of Serbian and Croatian as well, then. smile.gif
I learned German back in school and I can talk and understand a little of it. But I think it's a waste to forget it so I might take up a German course to learn it well...

Yeah mate, learning that one as well! To add up to Ben's response, Homer has some wisdom biggrin.gif

El Fortinero
In fact it is because in all America the majority of the countries share the same language (Spanish)- all the countries but Brazil (Portuguese) USA (english) Canada (English and french) and some countries from the Center.

Another amazing thing is that Latin America is like a big country, there is no rivality among us, and that's really cool, for instance we consider the other countries as our Latin brothers ( there was always and idea to "unify" all Latin America in one)

I can speak Spanish and English and as Daniel said Italian and Portuguese are easy to understand to us if they are spoken slow

PosterBoy
I thought there was quite a lot of rivalry between Brazil and Argentina or is that just in football?
El Fortinero
Just in football, but it´s a nice rivality. It´s imposible no to like Brazilians, they are such good people.

Many Argentinean are angry with the Chileans because they betrayed us in the falkland war in 1984 ...but that's my opinon only.. we can´t blame all the people for goverment decisions...
Alexiaden93
- Norwegian and Romanian from parents.
- English from British school and International Baccalaureate.
- French from French school (lycée, troisième to seconde).
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Jan 16 2012, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Norwegian and Romanian from parents.
- English from British school and International Baccalaureate.
- French from French school (lycée, troisième to seconde).

.. and Ben-ism ! biggrin.gif
Alexiaden93
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 17 2012, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.. and Ben-ism ! biggrin.gif

Forgive my ignorance, Master Ben. I did not mean to offend your Holiness. unsure.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Jan 17 2012, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgive my ignorance, Master Ben. I did not mean to offend your Holiness. unsure.gif

Not at all, disciple Alex.. you were merely being modest and protective of the religion of Benism.

laugh.gif
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 17 2012, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not at all, disciple Alex.. you were merely being modest and protective of the religion of Benism.

laugh.gif

Are your Disciples 'Benists'??? How does one become a Benist???
huh.gif
Michael AC
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 14 2012, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it might be necessary to learn beggar or homeless
I am sorry,that was just to easy

No sorry needed when you speak the truth... smile.gif
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 17 2012, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are your Disciples 'Benists'??? How does one become a Benist???
huh.gif

Not a card carrying disciple myself but I believe that the initial steps include:

First you have to put all temptation aside.
As spiritual leader Ben has very kindly taken it upon him self to save us from temptation so you may give him all of your money and guitars. He will look after them for you.

Second, you then need to learnthe correct obeisance.
You must turn to face Devon and Cornwall three times a day and headbang to Run to the Hills.

Third you must affirm your love of dogs, horses, Marmite and all things Maiden.

Those three should set you on the rigth path to Benism cool.gif

SirJamsalot
C#, C, Java, Javascript, SQL (MS, Postgres, Sybase, Oracle and MySQL dialects) HTML, Python, Visual Basic, PERL, Assembly (though a bit rusty), HTML, Action Script, c-shell, Korn, LISP... been a while, but I even remember some Pascal!

oh, and Engrish
Gitarrero
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 17 2012, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a card carrying disciple myself but I believe that the initial steps include:

First you have to put all temptation aside.
As spiritual leader Ben has very kindly taken it upon him self to save us from temptation so you may give him all of your money and guitars. He will look after them for you.

Second, you then need to learnthe correct obeisance.
You must turn to face Devon and Cornwall three times a day and headbang to Run to the Hills.

Third you must affirm your love of dogs, horses, Marmite and all things Maiden.

Those three should set you on the rigth path to Benism cool.gif

Don't forget you have to do all these things while doing push-ups with a basket full of donuts for your master on your back.
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jan 14 2012, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it's not laugh.gif

Hey now! wink.gif Man my German is really, really, bad. I'd like to learn Gaelic oddly enough. Which I gather isn't that far from Welsh! As I posted previously I"m descended from the English/Scottish Border Reavers and many spoke "Border Tongue" with bits from Scottish Gaelic, English, and whatever else they could steal.

After that, I'd still like to learn proper German!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.