Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mad's Mad Rhythm Corner
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Cosmin Lupu
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Cosmin Lupu
Hey buddy biggrin.gif Welcome to your thread wink.gif

Let's see what we can do to improve things smile.gif improvisation is a long journey - the same as learning how to speak fluently and natural in a foreign language, being expressive and truthful!

Tell me, have you ever done any ear training exercises? And please let me know what lessons from GMC are you working on at the moment smile.gif

all the best

Cosmin
mad
AWESOME, THANKS!

Ok, beside my warrior tasks in ben's guitar bushido temple, I'm working on ben's vibrato odyssey - lessons.
When I grab my acoustic I'm doing sinisa's acoustic arpeggios.
I didn't have any professional ear training excercises, I just did some silly pitch recognition games I found on the internet..

Well, yes.. it's a long journey - let's start biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Good morning there mate!

In order for things to evolve in a healthy order, you should be able to know your neck and be able to talk about notes on the neck not numbers wink.gif tabs are good in order to make things simple when communicating over the internet, but in a real situation when you're talking to someone with an instrument in hand, speaking in terms of notes will help A LOT!

My recommendation would be to start with this series:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Improvising-Workshop-1/

and in parallel do ear training exercises smile.gif and we should start with this one:

- find a note on the neck (C for instance, on the 3rd fret, A string)
- play the C note and immediately after it, a D note
- play the C note and then SING the D note smile.gif and play it again on the guitar, to check if it's accurate

Try this with the other intervals around C (D was it's 2nd) see how accurate you get when singing. Once you can sing a note, it means you internalized it and you can sing it again -> that's the first step to being able to recognize what you are singing biggrin.gif and being able to lay down on the guitar, the stuff you are hearing in your head. Pretty lengthy process but it's worth EVERY minute spent!

What do you think about this?

Cosmin
mad
What I think about this?
That's great and I'm starting right now!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Feb 16 2012, 08:52 AM) *
What I think about this?
That's great and I'm starting right now!

Let's rock n roll! I'm here for guidance and I was also curious if you would like to set a goal of let's say 4 lessons/ month for which we would work together so you can get a 10/ piece wink.gif

Is that doable? biggrin.gif

mad
Man, that would be really awesome.. but we should start with easy ones - even for those I need some time. So nailing down 4 lessons a month + guitar bushido temple + time for my new goal to become a more musical ear (I reserve 15mins a day especially for this) will be tough. Just give me a lesson to start with - I'll post my progress on that particular lesson here, until you say it's ok for a REC..

GoGoGo biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Feb 16 2012, 09:03 AM) *
Man, that would be really awesome.. but we should start with easy ones - even for those I need some time. So nailing down 4 lessons a month + guitar bushido temple + time for my new goal to become a more musical ear (I reserve 15mins a day especially for this) will be tough. Just give me a lesson to start with - I'll post my progress on that particular lesson here, until you say it's ok for a REC..

GoGoGo biggrin.gif

That sounds perfect! What do you prefer? Lead or rhythm?
mad
We sould start with rhythm.. I'd like to go more into lead when my ear is more trained - hope that makes sense..
Cosmin Lupu
Ok wink.gif it does make sense, as I think a good rhythm player can become a good lead player much easier biggrin.gif

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-metal-rhythm/

this one - it may seem easy, but that's why I want you to chug your way with it as smooth and tight as possible wink.gif let's take it from here and see where we are biggrin.gif please take a look over it, practice it, till you feel ready, record it and let's discuss on it

Of course, it's important that you also like it biggrin.gif so the fun level will be greater wink.gif
mad
Like it, very basic stuff, let's rock!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Feb 16 2012, 10:24 AM) *
Like it, very basic stuff, let's rock!

Perfect! Looking forward to helping you making it sound perfect biggrin.gif
mad
Ok so far for the REC-take.. currently I'm just struggling a bit with the fast power-chord to open-chord changes in the galloping section.. But I'm isolating and fixing the problem wink.gif going to upload a take for you to check next night!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Feb 20 2012, 09:55 PM) *
Ok so far for the REC-take.. currently I'm just struggling a bit with the fast power-chord to open-chord changes in the galloping section.. But I'm isolating and fixing the problem wink.gif going to upload a take for you to check next night!

Awesome mate! biggrin.gif Let's see whatcha got!
mad
hey cos, i did a few takes with some parts that are too sloppy - I will record another take this night for you to have a look at it!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Feb 22 2012, 11:15 AM) *
hey cos, i did a few takes with some parts that are too sloppy - I will record another take this night for you to have a look at it!

Perfect, I'll be in front of the PC in about 5 hours! wink.gif
mad
OK - that's the best of the last 10^5 worst recordings.
I'm still struggling with several chord changes, muting etc.

Need more practice...
mad
Update on ear-training: I'm able to sing along the c-major scale. I did this: played the major-scale on the 5th string starting on the 3rd fret and tried to sing the note I'm hearing. stopped the note ringing and checked with a mic-tuner, if I'm really singing the correct note wink.gif
then I started to increase the intervalls starting from C while singing the notes. Then I did the same but I sang the note before I played it.. it turned out quite easy after a few minutes. Then, I started to play all the chords in the C major scale and was able to sing along it - that was quite an amazing experience, never did that before (don't know why - everyone playing an instrument should do that biggrin.gif )...

So, I'm making some progress wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Feb 22 2012, 09:00 PM) *
OK - that's the best of the last 10^5 worst recordings.
I'm still struggling with several chord changes, muting etc.

Need more practice...

Not bad man! Actually it's very good! There are slight tightness slips here and there but with a little more practice, I think you can get a straight 10 in the REC section! I think this one can go there as well smile.gif would you like to expose it there?

QUOTE (mad @ Feb 23 2012, 07:56 AM) *
Update on ear-training: I'm able to sing along the c-major scale. I did this: played the major-scale on the 5th string starting on the 3rd fret and tried to sing the note I'm hearing. stopped the note ringing and checked with a mic-tuner, if I'm really singing the correct note wink.gif
then I started to increase the intervalls starting from C while singing the notes. Then I did the same but I sang the note before I played it.. it turned out quite easy after a few minutes. Then, I started to play all the chords in the C major scale and was able to sing along it - that was quite an amazing experience, never did that before (don't know why - everyone playing an instrument should do that biggrin.gif )...

So, I'm making some progress wink.gif

hehehe! Very good! It;s wonderful if you can do that! Now a next step wink.gif would be to focus on a certain type of interval, perfect fifth let's say and do the following:

1) Play C and its 5th -> G
2) Play G and it's 5th -> D
3) Play D and its 5th -> A

see, you're practically ascending from 5th to 5th biggrin.gif and so on until your ear gets accustomed to jumping from one tonality to another.

Repeat the same process with every interval type tongue.gif it does WONDERS!

Let me know what else can I help you with - I think we can jump on to another lesson as well, if you'd like!
mad
In my Metal Metrics 4-REC Ivan said, for rhythm I should make my right hand more floating. I thought, I give it another shot and keep an eye on that, this is what I got..

And yes, I'll continue with the intervals, let's see where I'm going from here smile.gif
Next lesson please tongue.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Feb 23 2012, 10:07 AM) *
In my Metal Metrics 4-REC Ivan said, for rhythm I should make my right hand more floating. I thought, I give it another shot and keep an eye on that, this is what I got..

And yes, I'll continue with the intervals, let's see where I'm going from here smile.gif
Next lesson please tongue.gif

Mate, this take is very very good, aside from some slight timing issue at 0.29, I think it's great!

Let's see now biggrin.gif since your gallop needs a bit more care, I thought this could be a good one to tackle, as it also has some single string lines with a little vibrato implemented wink.gif

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/beginners_metal_riffing/

Would you like to give this a shot?
mad
Definately! So , I'll prepare a take on that one and afterwards my galloping should be more in time, then I'll do another take on marcus' lesson and hopefully have two recordings for the REC tongue.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Feb 24 2012, 09:00 AM) *
Definately! So , I'll prepare a take on that one and afterwards my galloping should be more in time, then I'll do another take on marcus' lesson and hopefully have two recordings for the REC tongue.gif

Awesome! Please don't be shy if you have more questions, k? I'm here for ya smile.gif
mad
hey man! just a short update: got the new lesson up to speed, just two parts need to be played a bit more tight biggrin.gif
love the new thread titles laugh.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hehehehe biggrin.gif yours was raised at the net and ready to hit as they say in volleyball tongue.gif glad to hear that and looking forward to seeing what you have prepared biggrin.gif
mad
ok, that's not my best take - but the best recorded so far.. will try a better one tomorrow!

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Feb 29 2012, 09:26 PM) *
ok, that's not my best take - but the best recorded so far.. will try a better one tomorrow!

Hey mad! This is not bad at all! you need to check the guitar as it seems a bit out of tune and tighten up the playing a bit. All in all, if you insist a bit and pay attention to the timing, you'll get this one on the checked list wink.gif let's see one more take and we shall move on, k? Give me your best shot!
mad
OK, here's my best shot for today tongue.gif

I'll keep working on that, but now I need a new challenge cool.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Clearly a lot smoother than the previous one wink.gif now, this one will help you work out your note separation skills

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...guitar1-drop-d/

what do you think about it?

Cosmin
mad
Thanks! Do you think I can post it as a REC? I'm not aiming for a 10, but it'll make space for new stuff (or do you think it won't pass?) - I'll keep practicing though.
The new one looks fun, too. Will give it a try and let you know!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Mar 2 2012, 09:34 AM) *
Thanks! Do you think I can post it as a REC? I'm not aiming for a 10, but it'll make space for new stuff (or do you think it won't pass?) - I'll keep practicing though.
The new one looks fun, too. Will give it a try and let you know!

It will pass with a good grade wink.gif post it man, go ahead!
mad
This is a first take with just the first two patterns.. thought I share my progress so far for today.

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Mar 3 2012, 03:05 AM) *
This is a first take with just the first two patterns.. thought I share my progress so far for today.

Very good man! Top observations: you are playing very clean and defined - low register from high register! Awesome! I'd suggest a bit of attention towards the end, on the intonation of the bass notes wink.gif rather than that, it's going very very good! Looking forward to the next take and I do believe I shall push you a bit with the next lesson, level wise wink.gif

Congratulations on being so prolific - almost 3 lessons nailed wink.gif
mad
Here we go..

Your mentoring and Bens Bushido Temple is motivating me kickasswise - next one please tongue.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Mar 3 2012, 01:53 PM) *
Here we go..

Your mentoring and Bens Bushido Temple is motivating me kickasswise - next one please tongue.gif

Glad to know! Am I being wrong or it's already 3 '10's in a row? biggrin.gif

How about this one?

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/metal-...ms-with-octave/

biggrin.gif time to push you a bit wink.gif

Cosmin
mad
Oh yes - octaves - always like the sound of them.. getting right to it!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Mar 5 2012, 11:24 AM) *
Oh yes - octaves - always like the sound of them.. getting right to it!

hehehe biggrin.gif let's rock!
mad
Man, these fast octave shifts are challenging. But got it down @85bpm so far.
I'd like to do one acoustic-lesson per month as an additional assignment - do you think that's OK?
Though we should start there with a simple one, too (I'm still struggling with Sinisas Arpeggios to bring it up to speed and sound good and in time tongue.gif ). What do you think?
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Mar 6 2012, 10:28 AM) *
Man, these fast octave shifts are challenging. But got it down @85bpm so far.
I'd like to do one acoustic-lesson per month as an additional assignment - do you think that's OK?
Though we should start there with a simple one, too (I'm still struggling with Sinisas Arpeggios to bring it up to speed and sound good and in time tongue.gif ). What do you think?

Sure thing mate smile.gif sounds very good, it will lighten up the spirits from all that heavy riffing. This one seems very interesting, not too difficult to play but theory booked biggrin.gif what do you think? And those shifts in the beginning seem awesome biggrin.gif
mad
Good morning!

Here's a take @full speed, so you can see my progress on the metal rhythm lesson. Far from perfect, but I think I'm getting to it soon tongue.gif

Maybe I can make another Take for the acoustic lesson
(http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Acoustic-Arpeggios/) later. I play that one on a steel-string guitar - would it be OK, even for REC?
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Mar 7 2012, 10:29 AM) *
Good morning!

Here's a take @full speed, so you can see my progress on the metal rhythm lesson. Far from perfect, but I think I'm getting to it soon tongue.gif

Maybe I can make another Take for the acoustic lesson
(http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Acoustic-Arpeggios/) later. I play that one on a steel-string guitar - would it be OK, even for REC?

Hey Marc! biggrin.gif it sounds great man - a little more flow is what I'd like to hear from this take, and I believe you could achieve that by trying to move your head more towards the bridge when palm muting wink.gif

Sure, a take of the acoustic lesson would be nice as well, post it here first so we can discuss it biggrin.gif

all the best

Cosmin
mad
Thanks!
I tried to record my acoustic-take but there seems to be a problem with the audio hardware. I can barely hear the acoustic guitar in the recording, but the input levels are all on max unsure.gif
This is my hardware: behringer C-1 mic into m-audio fast track pro usb.. I'll try to figure out what the problem is, or maybe I post it here in the forums..
mad
Morning!
Here's a take @ 70bpm recorded with my webcam - still got probs with my mic.
At full speed it gets too sloppy, so I still have to practice.

What do you think about this so far?
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Mar 8 2012, 08:08 AM) *
Morning!
Here's a take @ 70bpm recorded with my webcam - still got probs with my mic.
At full speed it gets too sloppy, so I still have to practice.

What do you think about this so far?

Mate, you are ok, till 0.53, where it looks feels you are tensing up a bit smile.gif but that's because you are not relaxed with the tempo YET biggrin.gif nothing which a bit more practice won't settle smile.gif I like it! Let's see some more biggrin.gif

Cosmin
mad
Hey Cos! After the v-chat yesterday I thought maybe it makes sense to do a funk-lesson as next assignment - what do you think about that?
BTW at weekend I'll try your timing developing excercise mentioned yesterday - looks promising smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Mar 9 2012, 08:23 AM) *
Hey Cos! After the v-chat yesterday I thought maybe it makes sense to do a funk-lesson as next assignment - what do you think about that?
BTW at weekend I'll try your timing developing excercise mentioned yesterday - looks promising smile.gif

heeheee biggrin.gif how about this one?

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...6-funk-basics1/

it's perfect if you're a beginner at funkin' biggrin.gif

cheerios

Cosmin
mad
Oh yes.. will give it a try for sure!
Cosmin Lupu
Alrighty smile.gif let me know how it goes wink.gif
mad
Hey maestro! I wasn't able to practice the last couple days, but today I'll come back to it and post a few takes soon!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Mar 14 2012, 07:36 AM) *
Hey maestro! I wasn't able to practice the last couple days, but today I'll come back to it and post a few takes soon!

Let's rock my friend! smile.gif
mad
OK, here is another take for the octaves-lesson:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.