Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carminemarotta's World Of Many Styles
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Cosmin Lupu
Pages: 1, 2, 3
carminemarotta
Cosmin
I think next lesson should be this:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...-Slash-Chords/#

Right?

Thanks
Carmine
carminemarotta
Cosmin,
regarding the Gilmour lesson. There is a part of the lesson played very very high on the neck, even the 22th fret. It seem there is no sustain there, let alone the very narrow frets. Any suggestion on how to play up there?

Thanks in advance
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Mar 31 2012, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cosmin
I think next lesson should be this:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...-Slash-Chords/#

Right?

Thanks
Carmine

Hey Carmine! This one is very good, so I think you should go for it!

Cosmin

QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Apr 1 2012, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cosmin,
regarding the Gilmour lesson. There is a part of the lesson played very very high on the neck, even the 22th fret. It seem there is no sustain there, let alone the very narrow frets. Any suggestion on how to play up there?

Thanks in advance
Carmine

Carmine, do you think you can you record yourself while playing that part? I am curious to see how you tackled it so I can offer some advice smile.gif

I think that the guitar may have less sustain if you don't fret it hard enough with your left hand, but let's see the vid wink.gif

Cosmin
carminemarotta
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 1 2012, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Carmine! This one is very good, so I think you should go for it!

Cosmin

Ho Cosmin, how are you?

I have a question for you. I think I already know the answer but will ask anyway. In the BR lesson the basic rhythm is

1 (Strum G/B) & 2 & (Strum G/C) 3 & 4 &

He added extra strums in between. Is it fine to play the second strum of the bar with an upstroke?

Thanks
Carmine

PS I am playing with a "free rhythm", not following all Bear is doing in the video. As soon as I like one take I will post. I am a bit struggling with the inverted chord at the end of the second part

2nd ps I will take my time, I do not want to rush. I think that playing better at the begineer will speed up the learning process at the end. however, as my mentor, your should force ( dry.gif ) me to finish something
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine! The only thing which I can force you to do, is finishing a take as good as possible, not as fast as possible wink.gif try to respect Bear's movements exactly at first so that you may be able to learn the lesson in its entirety and then, we can switch to variation if you would like smile.gif

Looking forward to the vid biggrin.gif

Cosmin

QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Apr 3 2012, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ho Cosmin, how are you?

I have a question for you. I think I already know the answer but will ask anyway. In the BR lesson the basic rhythm is

1 (Strum G/B) & 2 & (Strum G/C) 3 & 4 &

He added extra strums in between. Is it fine to play the second strum of the bar with an upstroke?

Thanks
Carmine

PS I am playing with a "free rhythm", not following all Bear is doing in the video. As soon as I like one take I will post. I am a bit struggling with the inverted chord at the end of the second part

2nd ps I will take my time, I do not want to rush. I think that playing better at the begineer will speed up the learning process at the end. however, as my mentor, your should force ( dry.gif ) me to finish something

carminemarotta
Thanks Cosmin. Unfortunately i can quite follow Bear rhythm and the tab doesn't help. But will try more.

Regards

Carmine
carminemarotta
Cosmin
the Bear Rose lesson 16 is getting me a bit stressed. Does it happens that you can not quite play a lesson?
I am still struggling, among other things, on the chords on bars 24 and 25.
Anyway I recorded a take at slower tempo:

http://youtu.be/fswTTaa7ubE

Not proud of it, but at least something.

Thanks in advance
Carmine

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 1 2012, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cosmin
Carmine, do you think you can you record yourself while playing that part? I am curious to see how you tackled it so I can offer some advice smile.gif
I think that the guitar may have less sustain if you don't fret it hard enough with your left hand, but let's see the vid wink.gif
Cosmin

Cosmin,
as for your request, short video of the "choked" sound
http://youtu.be/02zBKksdUMY

Regards
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine!

I think the take on Bear's lesson was good aside from some tempo problems, caused by the fact that you didn't change the chords in time smile.gif otherwise it sounds pretty good. A bit more flow would be great, but that will come with more practicing wink.gif keep on workin' on this one and it'll be there!

As for that bend, it looks like the guitar is not set up properly and the strings are vibrating against the neck, causing the lack of sustain. My advice would be to take it to a guitar tech for a proper setup and it'll be a whole different world wink.gif

Let me know what thoughts you are having on this

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Cosmin
I have been quite busy to practice the lessons to be posted in the REC. It was really worth doing it. Now we know much better on what to concentrate. I think tempo is major issue together with more fluidity in changing chords.
I was thinking to follow this lesson to tackle both:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Easy-AC-DC/
but any other you would suggest will be fine. What i would like to do with you, first of all, is analysing the backing track, how to "listen" to it, getting the feel and/or reading the tab while listening the track. This is my idea but you have more knowledge and you are my mentor, so please let me know what is the best thing to do. Fell free to change the lesson, if you think there is something better. keep in mind that I will continue studying the old ones.

Thanks and have a great day
carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine, this lesson is very good! smile.gif

The thing is that, once you will grasp rhythm you will understand a lot of complex pieces for certain wink.gif

I suggest we tackle it together in bits so let's go for part one first smile.gif have you already went through the lesson?

Cosmin
carminemarotta
I just checked the chords progression. With part 1 do you mean the video 2 (the 1 is a spoken video)?
thanks a lot
Carmine
carminemarotta
Cosmin
reading the tab of the AC/DC lesson, let's say in bar 5, but it repeats until bar19, the G chords (or the cool.gif should sound longer (on the and of 3 and on 4) than the A (or the E) chord (just on the and of 4). However listening to the performance I get the impression that the second is longer than the first chord. Maybe I am wrong but can you check?

Thanks
Carmine
carminemarotta
On the above I wrote B but the emoticon appeared. Sorry
Cosmin Lupu
hey Carmine, I was referring to the first part of the lesson, not the speech smile.gif I'll give you a hint biggrin.gif the recording is what matters wink.gif ALWAYS. use the tab as a map, but use your ears mostly.

We are talking about the first part of the lesson, right? The E and A chords are longer in duration than the G and B chords. Try to tap your foot when playing, it'll offer a very good rhythmic support smile.gif

Let's try and record each part separately smile.gif what do you think?

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Thanks Cosmin,
when ready will post here the first part

Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Perfect mate! biggrin.gif
carminemarotta
Cosmin
can you start giving me some tips on how to play in time with a backing track? Is there any lessons here at GMC to tackle just this issue?

Thanks in advance
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
hey Carmine! Playing in time is an ability which is developed in time. I for one, had a lot of trouble playing in time when I was in my teens - 13-14 years of age, as I never took the time to understand rhythm or practice diligently. In time, I started listening to rhythms, breaking them up in pieces and most of all understanding drumming smile.gif writing drums REALLY made the difference.

Now before starting to write drums, you should try to understand the pieces of music you are learning - by applying the art of listening. Here's some tips:

- Listen to a piece of music and count the beats while listening.
- Break the piece into parts
- Each part has its rhythmic details in the drums and bass track which you need to focus on and keep in mind so that you can corelate with your movements when you play smile.gif
- Try tapping your foot when you're playing - it'll take a while to get used to, but it'll bring tremendous benefits smile.gif

Let's try and apply these concepts in the first part of the AC/DC lesson smile.gif let's see, what would be the details which you are going to work with from the backing track?
carminemarotta
Hi Cosmin.
First of all I wish you a good week.

Regarding the Ac Dc lesson. The first part has just the drum going on and I think the G and the B are on the off beat.

As you may have seen I posted few video in the rec with the lead beginner lessons. I should play that lessons better but how do you suggest to proceed? Keep playing them untill I master or have a break, learning something else and then going back to them?

Thanks in advance
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine, thank you man!

You know, usually until you grow your skills a little more, you could focus on one direction to get things done easier and faster smile.gif for instance, if you could cover some more of these beginner rhythm lessons, your progress will reflect later on in your lead playing. You will have a better sense on playing leads in time and understanding the way the rhythmic subdivisions are working wink.gif

Be persistent in your journey, Carmine, as you have seen, progress is coming, slowly but SURE FOOTED!

Cosmin

carminemarotta
Cosmin

so i went back to the Bear Rose's pentatonic beginner lesson.

Here my take:

Hope the timing is better. Please let me know, when you have time.

Thanks in advance.
Kindest regards
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
hey Carmine, it is DEFINITELY better, almost perfect I'd say - it needs a bit more flow, but that will come with thime smile.gif out of what I am hearing you have recorded against the lesson where bear is playing too, right? If I am right, I say this is a good exercise and you did very well man!

I think that you can start working on another one and try a take of this one a bit later when you are feeling more confident and that flow will appear too smile.gif Do we have a deal?

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Tranks a lot Cosmin,
Yes, usually I play against the lesson, not the backing track, since my long term aim is to play along my favourite tunes. I am going to study the Ac dc lesson and there is another Bear Rose lead on minor scale, unless you suggest something else.

Did you have any chance to see my second take on the bending lesson on the rec?

Thanks a lot and have a great day
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine, for now it's ok! 2 ongoing lessons are quite enough, so let's focus on those wink.gif

Keep up the good work and keep practicing man! Just graded ya tongue.gif

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Cosmin
this is my first take of the first part of the easy AC DC lesson. Lack of fluidity is something I noticed. A lot of room to improve, please explain me, if you can, how. I could not play the first E chord. Thanks a lot in advance. have a good night
Carmine

Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine! Your rhythm seems solid and tight, the only issue is that you are having A TINY bit of latency when striking the chords.

The only way to deal with this, is to understand the timing a bit better - tapping your foot to the ground will always let you know when to strike the chords and it will provide a steady internal clock wink.gif

I think counting out loud while playing would be a little difficult? (tried it myself just now)

let me know how it goes

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Cosmin
thanks a lot. it seems that the take is better of what I thought, good to know. What do you mean with "a tiny bit of latency"? Was I a bit late on some beats?

Once again thanks a lot.
Regards,
carmine
carminemarotta
Cosmin
I had a look at the beginner solo lesson (http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginners-Corner-20-Beginner-Solo/)
I recorded myself, will be very nice to have your comments. By the way. Once I master the lesson I would like to take a recording for the REC, but will it be fine to post in the REC section something not perfect like this one?

Thanks in advance, have a good reaming of the day.

Regards,
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Apr 19 2012, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cosmin
thanks a lot. it seems that the take is better of what I thought, good to know. What do you mean with "a tiny bit of latency"? Was I a bit late on some beats?

Once again thanks a lot.
Regards,
carmine

Hey Carmine, yes, a bit late, but a VERY SMALL BIT biggrin.gif a little more focus will get things done wink.gif

Regarding the take, you can post anything in the REC section - you will get feedback from all of us and you will be able to focus on the things which need more attention. The purpose of the REC section is to evolve, based on the observation of people with more experience, which is always a good thing smile.gif

The take is ok - I would work a bit more on the bends and the overall flow of the piece - I see you are starting to bend with the wrist, but it's not entirely there wink.gif focus on this and you will get a better take for certain smile.gif

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with wink.gif

Cosmin
carminemarotta
thanks Cosmin.

have a great day and a great week end.

Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
All the best Carmine! I wanted to congratulate you on your consistency and REAL improvement man! Keep it up! It's a pleasure to work with you!

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Cosmin
thanks for the kind words and encouragement.
While I continue to work on the easy AC DC lesson, I need a suggestion from you.
I really see a lot of improvement in my playing so what i should do now? Keep working on the lessons posted, start learning some theoretical lessons (Ivan has posted a lot of tutorial on this), doing some hands workout (kind of Ben's lessons) or try my own favourites (the David Gilmour tutorials for example)? I know it should be a mix of all, but time is limited. What is the best way to reach my aim of playing my favourite tunes?

Once again thanks for all the help.

Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine! In my opinion, you should stick around with the sort of lessons you are practicing now smile.gif it's a level which needs a bit more work to be completed so to say. After that you can advance to more complex concepts both theoretical and practical. Bear's lessons proved useful, so stick with them a while more wink.gif

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Cosmin
thank you very much for your comment on my last REC.
I was tapping my foot and I think I know where my problem is. While playing a chord I am thinking next one to play, should be fine. But actually I do not think about next chord, I worry about next chord. I still I am not relaxed when I play, generally. I am really tense when I record. Of course I have to improve, and a lot, the technical aspect, however I think also this tension aspect will play a role. What do you think?

Wish you a great day. Regards,
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine smile.gif I suspected there would be a little tension involved, when shooting the takes wink.gif

I suggest that you record as often as possible and why not, play in front of friends and family - it will be pretty tricky at first, but you will get used to having an audience - be it a real one or the folks online here at GMC smile.gif

Try this, it will be fun! What are you currently working on?

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Thanks Cosmin,
will follow your suggestion. Actually I started playing always with the camera on, so it will be an use.

Regarding lessons. I am studying:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginner-Spring-Tune/

Probably I should also start another lesson, I want to have a break from the lessons i was on earlier to came back to them later on. Any suggestion?

Regards
Carmine
carminemarotta
EDIT:
actually I will try to learn some songs now. Just for fun. I will keep you informed

Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Oh, alright Carmine - you know, you can record and send me anything in this thread, so if there's any particular song you'd like to share with me, please go ahead smile.gif

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Cosmin, goodmorning.

Can you let me know, anyway, next lesson we will work on, please? I will start listening to it and internalize it. A very important part of the learning process, often neglected by me. As I said, I will go back to the previous lessons after on.

Have a wonderful day,
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine - let's try a combination of melodies and articulation, ok?

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/D-Minor-Bending/

I am striving to push you just a bit with this one smile.gif it'll be a little more difficult but with a little work, you'll be there for certain.

what do you think?

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Nice and (but) challenging. Thanks.
I have already two questions.
1) D major scale: There is an E note "out of the box", how do you play it when learning the scale? Do you shift your hand so that first finger is on the 9th fret of the G and then go back to the "normal" 10th position, or else?
2) Can you help me with the tone of amp/effects?

Once again thanks.

I wish you a lovely week end,
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine! Glad you like it man smile.gif

yes, that E note is played with the index finger indeed, then the F with the middle finger and the G with the pinkie smile.gif

regarding the sounds - first things first, what are you using to record?

all the best and let me know

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Cosmin,
I am using a POD HD 500.

Carmine
carminemarotta
Dear Cosmin,
I have post a video in the rec with the "spring tune".
Also, I have started Ben vibrato odyssey 5, the basic vibrato lesson. I am also on the lesson you suggested me plus today Sinisa lesson, seems great, do you think is worth trying it as well since I love riffing?
Regarding tone, I really would like to learn about different guitar sounds. I need to do "in my way", I mean,
I play just in my living room with headphone, nothing fancy. Just would like to recreate kind of blues, rock sounds, so when I play Gilmour I know how to use the compressor and when playing U2 I know about delay and so on.
I use, as said, pod hd 500. I have few modelling software.also a small valvetronix vox, a small and tiny Marshall with few Boss pedals and the line6 echo park for the Edge delay.

On another matter, I will send you, today a pm, I hope you can read it.

Have a great Sunday and thanks SO much for all your help. Regards,
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine, I think you did a VERY good job on the Spring tune. Your progress is boosting somehow laugh.gif I really don't know what you're doing at home but it's obviously result oriented biggrin.gif

The tone you used is very good (the one in the beginner Spring tune) the best advice I can offer, since I have a feeling that you are already using this, is to use your ears when creating your tones - compare with the result you are aiming for and always start from the main elements: bass, mids, highs and gain. These are the only things I am using when coming up with a raw tone. There are all sorts of parameters involved when you want to use an EQ, but I don't have any experience in telling you exactly what to tweak for a certain result. If you need more info on using an EQ I would strongly suggest you to PM Tony Miro here on GMC. He is a sound engineer biggrin.gif

All in all keep up the good work man! Sinisa's lesson looks like a challenge, I think it may be a bit too much at this point, but hey, who says you can't try?

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Goodmorning Cosmin, how are you?

here my question for today. I think I know the answer but really would like to listen to an answer from someone who has far more experience and ability than me.

I have studied a lesson for the REC (an old Santana lesson). I could play it from beginner to the end at full speed but I did not like it. So I guess, instead of rushing and try to record soon I should slow it down it a bit and try more. But, assuming I am correct, how? Just playing slower and then move up gradually or something else?

Thanks in advance. Have a great day. Regards,
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine smile.gif I think that slowing it down and trying to get a hold of all the sensibilities in the piece, with your newly acquired skills, will offer a totally different result, a much better one smile.gif

Yes, go with it this way and when you think it's at the top notch level and what's more important - you are feeling good with what you recorded, give me a shout and we'll analyze it together smile.gif

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Cosmin
here the Santana (by Lucio Antolini) lesson played at 75 bpm. The actual lesson is 100bpm. There is a lot to improve. However I think that some part of it are difficult to play at slower speed.

Regards,
Carmine
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Carmine,

first of all take care at the bends, as a great number of them are under the tone and it is very noticeable especially while recording against the track.

I think this would be the main issue right now - let's take care of this, k?

Cosmin
carminemarotta
Ok.

Will try more.
Thanks for letting me know.
Regards
Carmine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.