Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roots, Rock, Reggae Video Collaboration
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Cosmin Lupu
Cosmin Lupu
Oy fellow GMCrs smile.gif

this month, it's time to start grooving easily over a reggae influenced beat! Lay back, enjoy the sunshine and maybe put in a bit of sorrow while playing over this track. After all it's a combination between reggae grooves and the fiery rock chops you guys will come up with!

Chord progression: Am Em Gm Em

Scales: A Aeolian, A Minor Pentatonic, A Blues even a bit of A Dorian if you manage to emphasize it over the Am Em combo smile.gif as we discussed in the video chat sessions on modes, there can be found modal progressions within progressions. Such as this case here - Am Em can be a Dorian progression (A Dorian is derived from the G major scale)

Tempo: 75 BPM

Please submit your takes before May 20th 2012

Preferable material format:

Audio - wav. (one take with the backing track/ one take with the guitar only, no effects)
Movie - avi.

Try and develop melodies and themes with this one and let's see how many of you are into reggae and rock here!

Cosmin
norules
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 5 2012, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oy fellow GMCrs smile.gif

this month, it's time to start grooving easily over a reggae influenced beat! Lay back, enjoy the sunshine and maybe put in a bit of sorrow while playing over this track. After all it's a combination between reggae grooves and the fiery rock chops you guys will come up with!

Chord progression: Am Em Gm Em

Scales: A Aeolian, A Minor Pentatonic, A Blues even a bit of A Dorian if you manage to emphasize it over the Am Em combo smile.gif as we discussed in the video chat sessions on modes, there can be found modal progressions within progressions. Such as this case here - Am Em can be a Dorian progression (A Dorian is derived from the G major scale)

Tempo: 75 BPM

Please submit your takes before May 20th 2012

Preferable material format:

Audio - wav. (one take with the backing track/ one take with the guitar only, no effects)
Movie - avi.

Try and develop melodies and themes with this one and let's see how many of you are into reggae and rock here!

Cosmin

im up for having ago at this. reggae / rock is my favourite genres. no effects? does that mean just clean guitar? id like to use my pedals for it...
Ben Higgins
I'm doooooooooooown for this !! cool.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Awesome Ben! It's always an honor to be fighting side by side biggrin.gif

QUOTE (norules @ May 5 2012, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im up for having ago at this. reggae / rock is my favourite genres. no effects? does that mean just clean guitar? id like to use my pedals for it...

If you want to use distortion in your take, you can send me the track with the distortion on, but no reverb, delay or other effects smile.gif I will take care of those, k? smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Here's a bit out of my take biggrin.gif

Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 14 2012, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a bit out of my take biggrin.gif

That's some sexaaay playing C ! cool.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Thank you B-man biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey guys! How are you faring with the takes? There are three days left until the takes should be sent smile.gif and I am looking forward to seeing what you got for me biggrin.gif
Dinaga
Hey mate. smile.gif Here's my take smile.gif

http://www.4shared.com/rar/A1VGD0pY/Reggae_collab.html
Cosmin Lupu
Thanks D-man biggrin.gif lots of nifty tricks in your bag I see tongue.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Mates, tomorrow is the last day when I accepting takes on this one, so let's wee what you've got biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Alright guys! The entries are over and it seems it's me and Dinaga for this one smile.gif Let's make the next one count!
Cosmin Lupu
Here's me recording my take for the collab tongue.gif

Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 23 2012, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's me recording my take for the collab tongue.gif

That is a great solo ! smile.gif

I'm sorry I didn't get around to participating in this collab, it was such a cool backing !!
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Ben, thanks man! 'No problemmo' as our Austrian friend would say biggrin.gif next time, next time!
Dinaga
Cosmin, that was a BLASTIN take! The last run is simply an amazing mix of bending and legato! Very, very melodic and your solo makes mine look like a little girl xD
Cosmin Lupu
Thanks man, but I don't agree on the little girl part biggrin.gif I analyzed your take and your melodic sense is developing from one collab and recording to another wink.gif you are on a very ascending path my friend! Cheers to you!
Dinaga
Great to hear that, Cos! Thanks a bunch, it means a lot. smile.gif Looking forward to the final mix. smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Dinaga @ May 24 2012, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great to hear that, Cos! Thanks a bunch, it means a lot. smile.gif Looking forward to the final mix. smile.gif

It's almost done man tongue.gif It's great working with ya biggrin.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 25 2012, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's almost done man tongue.gif It's great working with ya biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing this ! Will be just the right music for the sunny weather smile.gif

I'm also sure that the D-Man is gonna kick ass - he always does !
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 25 2012, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking forward to seeing this ! Will be just the right music for the sunny weather smile.gif

I'm also sure that the D-Man is gonna kick ass - he always does !

Yes he does wink.gif biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey guys and gals! Theeeeee final miiiiiixxx is hereeeeeeeeeeeeee biggrin.gif

Since only myself and the D-man were involved, I shall say that his take was very melodic and diverse, nicely executed and having a natural direction in general. The bending is accurate too!

The vibrato could be a bit wider and more expressive, but that's a thing coming in time smile.gif no rush. Dynamics are the thing which you should focus on - not having each note sound linear, but raising tension where it's needed - for instance, at second 0.34, you bended in a very expressive manner biggrin.gif that's very, very good man!It was a pleasure and honor working with you mate!

Now, I shall be thinking about the new one these days and let it loose upon you next Monday!

Cosmin
Ben Higgins
Oh that was superb !! cool.gif

Perfect soundtrack for these sunny, warm evenings..

Dino, your guitar playing is ass kickingly good. Nice, bright tone and great pick attack !
Dinaga
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 28 2012, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys and gals! Theeeeee final miiiiiixxx is hereeeeeeeeeeeeee biggrin.gif

Since only myself and the D-man were involved, I shall say that his take was very melodic and diverse, nicely executed and having a natural direction in general. The bending is accurate too!

The vibrato could be a bit wider and more expressive, but that's a thing coming in time smile.gif no rush. Dynamics are the thing which you should focus on - not having each note sound linear, but raising tension where it's needed - for instance, at second 0.34, you bended in a very expressive manner biggrin.gif that's very, very good man!It was a pleasure and honor working with you mate!

Now, I shall be thinking about the new one these days and let it loose upon you next Monday!

Cosmin

Thanks for the feedback C-man smile.gif
I will pay more attention to the dynamics in the future. The first part of the solo was thoughtful, in the second half I seem a bit lost.

And you really can notice every detail - I think that my vibrato should be wider too! As you said, it comes in time and it's not easy at all, but as long as I concentrate on the vibrato it should improve, right? biggrin.gif It's probably the single MOST overlooked aspect of guitar playing - many guitarists think it's easy but it's an art of its own!

Oh that was superb !!

Perfect soundtrack for these sunny, warm evenings..

Dino, your guitar playing is ass kickingly good. Nice, bright tone and great pick attack !

Thank you so much, B-Meister! smile.gif I'm so happy you liked it smile.gif
Opetholic
You guys both kicked axe with your takes !! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Opetholic @ May 28 2012, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys both kicked axe with your takes !! smile.gif

Thanks! Mert, will you join the next one man?
Opetholic
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 29 2012, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks! Mert, will you join the next one man?

I don't know Cosmin tongue.gif I have looked at previous collaboration takes, especially if D-man submits anything, my takes would sound like a child's game biggrin.gif I think I enjoy better listening to the great stuff you guys come up with smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
C'mon man smile.gif we'd love to have you onboard!
Opetholic
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 29 2012, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
C'mon man smile.gif we'd love to have you onboard!

Ok smile.gif I will try to come up with something for next time. But don't expect anything like your or D-man's takes smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Man! No worries! It has to be fun, remember? tongue.gif
gregc1
Man just saw the video. Really really good, wow.

LOVED the style and feel of both solos, you guys should have let it go for 5 minutes! Dinaga, hats off to you brother, it's getting hard to distinguish that student/instructor line.
Cosmin Lupu
smile.gif Hey Greg! Thanks man! Will this be meaning we'll have you with us for the next one?
Dinaga
Wow man, thanks! smile.gif I really hope there'll be many more GMCers on the next collab! smile.gif
Yash
Wow Dinaga, You were awesome mate. I liked your solo more than Cosmin's (It was a bit harder to understand for me.) Your solo was very emotive and I love your tapping. biggrin.gif Cheers
gregc1
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 1 2012, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile.gif Hey Greg! Thanks man! Will this be meaning we'll have you with us for the next one?

Haha! I do have yet to join a collab so that may be a good time to start. biggrin.gif

When will the next one be?
Cosmin Lupu
Hehehe! I am starting the next one on Monday wink.gif I will trumpet it in the forum so, you'll know for certain wink.gif
gregc1
Sounds good. I'll keep my eye out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.