Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lukaszdrazeksbootcamp
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Todd Simpson
Todd Simpson
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=473580

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

Practice!
Todd
Lukasz Drazek
My first approach on mission 1

Todd Simpson
Congrats on taking on your first Mission Soldier! Here is where you did your DRILL BOSS proud!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Consistent strikes, Nice!
2.)Consistent Tempo, also Nice!
3.)Wide range of fret choice!

Here is where half your squad got killed.

PURPLE HEART
1.)You have good speed, precision, string traverse, all working well together! The only thing that is keeping your from your first MISSION BADGE is just a tad of focus on the right hand. I want to see you take a crack at playing this with tighter hand motion meaning less distance up and down after each strike of the string. Focus also on PALM MUTING, try to plant your hand on the bridge for a slight mute to make each strike more distinct. Also, being able to play at speed, without allowing the hand to go 'Free Range" is a challenge unto itself. Typically, players can either play slow and with palm mute, precision, or faster with more pick hand swing. What I"m trying to get you to achieve is the speed that you are showing here combined with the muted, palm planted on the bridge, each note distinct, relaxed hand approach that I can see you are capable of.

Here is a quick vid. Watch my right hand here and notice how it's moving briskly, but never gets too tense, never swings to far wide, but tries to go just past the string after a strike then return. This results in a sort of "shreddy" sound that is well suited to Alternate Picking.

In short WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER! But we need MORE VIOLENCE! smile.gif Take one more pass and focus the camera on your right hand a bit more so I can see how it's holding up UNDER FIRE! !!!!

FIGHT!!!!!!...I mean....PRACTICE!!!!!!!

Todd
Lukasz Drazek
Todd Simpson
NNIIIIIIIICCCEEE!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Consistent strikes, Nice!
2.)Consistent Tempo, also Nice!
3.)Tight Control of pick hand and it's nice and planted to the Bridge, never drifts, AWESOME!
4.)Impressive speed!

The only skip is around :21 in the vid but you really nailed what I was talking about with right hand so I can chalk it up playing so much your blood is wetting up the strings!

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE CLEARED MISSION 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is your FIRST MISSION BADGE!

Click to view attachment

Onward Soldier!
Todd

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ May 17 2012, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Todd Simpson
QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ May 17 2012, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Soldier you are on a MISSION! smile.gif Actually several MISSIONS. As you complete one mission/lesson, start on the next! So Do one Lesson/Mission at at time, making a video example for each workout in a given lesson. If there are four examples, then you have to master all four and make videos so it gets CRAZY hard later on. For now, there are mostly one example per lesson. So start on your next!

All of the lessons/Missions are listed at the bottom of this page in the wiki! Get Moving Solider!

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...-_Shred_Journey

Todd
Lukasz Drazek

Im back to practice! lesson 2 in my performance biggrin.gif
Todd Simpson
Well fought Soldier!!! You are really coming along here in BOOTCAMP!!!!

Let's debrief.

Soldier, after careful consideration, I've determined you have shown valor in the face of the enemy!! You just

LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Clean strikes
2.)Good hand synch
3.)Very even timing/playing

Nice!!

Todd

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Jan 27 2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im back to practice! lesson 2 in my performance biggrin.gif
Lukasz Drazek
Mission 3 on 160 bmp:
Todd Simpson
Well fought Soldier!!!! The goal of this mission is to play all six notes in an even way then March up the neck. And guess what, YOU FREAKING NAILED IT!!!! You just....

!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Clean Strikes
2.)Killer Synch
3.)Impressive Speed

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Feb 5 2013, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mission 3 on 160 bmp:

Lukasz Drazek
Mission 4 -170bpm

Todd Simpson
Soldier!! Plug that thing in to an amp/vst/anything! Don't be afraid to add a little gain/distortion. I want to see you palm muting every single note. It looks like your fingers are moving in the right direction! IF I can just hear what your playing, we could have ourselves a MISSION!!!!

Todd
QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Feb 8 2013, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mission 4 -170bpm

Lukasz Drazek
Ok, sorry for that here new one:
Todd Simpson
Soldier, I hate to keep having you cover the same ground over and over, but now that I can hear the guitar, the metronome seems to be fighting you a bit. The pattnern itself is a bit odd in terms of timing. Try this, set your metronome to clicks only (without accent notes) and strike exactly on each click, speed up or slow down the metronome to find the right spot and try to make one pick strike per click. Your close Soldier!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Feb 8 2013, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, sorry for that here new one:

Lukasz Drazek
Im trying do one pick on each click but there was too many clicks and it was hard for me, so i count notes on pattern (10 notes) and set metronome on that way: Accent click click click click. What u think about this? If its wrong i will practice like u said on exacly on each click. Go take a look:
Todd Simpson
Well Fought Soldier!!! You got the TIME thing down!!! I was wanting you to lock to the metronome and you did smile.gif So congrats Soldier, you just ....

!!!!!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Spiff Hand Synch
2.)Precise Strikes
3.)Deadlocked To Metronome

Well Fought Soldier!!!!! ONWARD!!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Feb 9 2013, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im trying do one pick on each click but there was too many clicks and it was hard for me, so i count notes on pattern (10 notes) and set metronome on that way: Accent click click click click. What u think about this? If its wrong i will practice like u said on exacly on each click. Go take a look:
Lukasz Drazek
Lesson 5:
Todd Simpson
Nice one Soldier!!! And Nice guitar!!!

You have clearly spent time on the shooting range! It's showing in your playing. Good precision, one shot one kill!!! In short You just

LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Clean Strikes
2.)Military Precision
3.)Bunker Quality Stability on Right hand.

Click to view attachment

[/b]
QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Mar 9 2013, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lesson 5:
Lukasz Drazek
Mission 6 - 160 bpm:
Todd Simpson
Nice work here Soldier!!! I can see you have been shooting to kill!!! Keep this up and you'll make MASTER SARGE in no time!!!

Let's DEBRIEF.

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Great hand synch
2.)Impressive precision/speed
3.)Left hand planted to bridge.

In short.. you just ......

!!!!! LEVELED UP !!!!!!!

Click to view attachment

Fight on Soldier!!

Todd

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Mar 17 2013, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mission 6 - 160 bpm:

Lukasz Drazek
Mission 7:
Todd Simpson
Well played Soldier!!! I can see you are making good gains and your technique is quite spiff!! Share with us your practice routine and any tips and tricks so that other Soldiers in Bootcamp can gain from the knowing. Share and share alike Soldier! smile.gif

As a matter of fact, I'm so Impressed that I"m going to TURN IT UP A NOTCH!!!!! You nailed lesson 7 Soldier, but I want to make you earn this one so do a pass using DOUBLE PICKING and bonus points if you do a pass using QUAD PICKING!!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Mar 20 2013, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mission 7:

Lukasz Drazek
My daily routine looks like this.I have aim what i need to achieve. Good thing is that our practise cant be boring!
1. Trying figure out some songs (something like a little warm up).
2. Practise our missions.
3. Practise 1/2/3... GMC Lessons

What i can say. Hmm, I noticed that exercise brings better results if we split our time into parts. For example practise 1h/2h/3h... and then take a rest. Play volleyball, go on university, ect. And then Practise again. Number of parts depends on how much time you can sacrifice!
And the most important think is HAVE MOTIVATION! My motivation is contest where you can win gear (guitar, Amps, ect). Thats motivate me so hard! I cant give up. My best sentence: "Quitter - never wins and a winner - he never gives up." (I dont know that is good translations that sentence but i think u understand what im talking about smile.gif

Lukasz
Lukasz Drazek
Double pick - 200 bpm:

Todd Simpson
Nice work Soldier!!!!! Very clean and precise.

Let's Debrief!!!

Soldier, I"ll just cut straight to it.... you just.....

LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Clean Strikes
2.)Strict Precision
3.)Tight hand synch

Click to view attachment

Lukasz Drazek
Mission 8:

Btw. It's my first record with Pod Studio GX:)
Todd Simpson

NICELY DONE SOLDIER!!!! You are really getting a good handle on planting your right hand on the bridge and articulating the pick using mostly your thumb/first finger. This is an advanced technique and can be leveraged to great effect smile.gif Some folks find they simply can't play in this manner. I'm glad to see you have incorporated it in to your style so well!!!

Also, welcome to the wonderful world of guitar emulation! smile.gif Which plugin are you using? Pod Studio? Don't be shy about trying out Scuffham amps, Amplitude, and Overloud as well!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Even and Solid Pacing!!!
2.)Great right hand placement and technique!!
3.)Good Precision/Speed!!!!

In short Soldier, you just......

!!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Click to view attachment

Onward Soldier!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Dec 16 2013, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mission 8:

Btw. It's my first record with Pod Studio GX:)

Lukasz Drazek
Mission 9:

Im using Pod Farm 2
Todd Simpson
This is well played soldier!! But I noticed you were playing the doubles "off" the best rather than "on" the best making it tough to ell if they were in synch? Try to play one more time "on" the beat meaning that when you hear a click, make a pick strike instea of striking in the gaps between clicks. Also, try to do one verions of the dreaded QUAD PICKING the way!!!! Let me know if you'd like me to make a quick demo video of what I'm talking about smile.gif

I"m only pushing you this hard because I see real skill in your playing and I want to help you bring it out!!!

PUSH IT SOLDIER!!!

Sarge.

Todd

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Dec 24 2013, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mission 9:

Im using Pod Farm 2
Lukasz Drazek
OK then smile.gif I will try work on it as a REAL SOLDIER!
One question how should i play it? I mean double picks, 3 notes per click? in 4/4 Like i playing in video or in other way?
Notice that, when i havent accent, im playing properly this pattern "on" beat (2 notes per click) in other ways im messy, dont know why. Its kinda weird when i need play doubles pattern (3 notes per click)
Same question with quad picking

Luke
Todd Simpson
Without confusing your futhe, this viedeo may may help. Listen to the pick strikes in the context of the baclking clicks.

Let me know if this clears things up a bit? Also bring this up in our next vid chat!

Todd

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Dec 26 2013, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK then smile.gif I will try work on it as a REAL SOLDIER!
One question how should i play it? I mean double picks, 3 notes per click? in 4/4 Like i playing in video or in other way?
Notice that, when i havent accent, im playing properly this pattern "on" beat (2 notes per click) in other ways im messy, dont know why. Its kinda weird when i need play doubles pattern (3 notes per click)
Same question with quad picking

Luke
Lukasz Drazek
There we go biggrin.gif How about it?

Todd Simpson
Nicely done Soldier!! I can see you've been putting in time in the KILL BOX!!!! Let's Debrief!!!

Soldier, no need to sugar coat it, you just.....

LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Very good placement of right hand and mute
2.)Good articulation using the fingers for picking
3.)Tight hand synch

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Dec 27 2013, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Todd Simpson
SOLDIER!!! This is your CALL TO ARMS!!! You maxed out at LEVEL 9 but I think there's more fight left in you!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Dec 27 2013, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lukasz Drazek
Mission 10:

Todd Simpson
NICELY DONE!! Soldier, you are really coming along in you BATTLE SKILLS!!! I'm impressed by your DOUBLE PICKING as well!!! You have a very good right hand placement and your overall form is very good. Your picking is even and precise. Enemies Beware!!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Single and Double Picking are Spot on!
2.)BATTLE READY palm mute!
3.)ONE SHOT ONE KILL precision!

In short Soldier, you just......

!!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Apr 12 2015, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mission 10:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.