Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recording Advice
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Sparrow
Hey everyone I want to start recording but my computer I have now won't let me! Fortunately I have some money saved from my good old tax return, so I can start to fix my situation biggrin.gif

I have a budget of $2000 and I'm looking to buy/build a new computer that I will use ONLY for recording different instruments and mixing songs. I might need to get a monitor speaker to mix songs on properly (I have heard if you mix on headphones then the songs will sound bad when played on a stereo) and some other things too, surely. So where should I start?

I want to get a full blown song editing program like protools or cubase, and a computer that can run all that stuff. Plus whatever else I will need. It's really intimidating trying to figure out where to start with all this, because all the guides on the internet say different things.

Anyways, it would be great if you guys could help me with this wink.gif
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (Sparrow @ Jun 20 2012, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey everyone I want to start recording but my computer I have now won't let me! Fortunately I have some money saved from my good old tax return, so I can start to fix my situation biggrin.gif

I have a budget of $2000 and I'm looking to buy/build a new computer that I will use ONLY for recording different instruments and mixing songs. I might need to get a monitor speaker to mix songs on properly (I have heard if you mix on headphones then the songs will sound bad when played on a stereo) and some other things too, surely. So where should I start?

I want to get a full blown song editing program like protools or cubase, and a computer that can run all that stuff. Plus whatever else I will need. It's really intimidating trying to figure out where to start with all this, because all the guides on the internet say different things.

I've already pitched in a bit here with advice on spending most of it on the computer as it's the center of the modern studio and an interface/multi fx pedal, decent headphones. But as this questions comes up constantly I thought it would be a good idea to get some group feedback.

So feedback everybody!!!

Todd
maharzan
13" macbook pro - 1200
Logic - 200
KRK 8" - 500

See you can easily surpass that budget. If you are recording guitar, you will need another DI box that might cost you another $100-$500.

But you could obviously buy a desktop in a much cheaper price and more powerful I guess. I am into mac so suggesting that. smile.gif
JesseJ
My family as a Macbook Pro and they are amazing computers. I highly recommend them.
VilleFIN
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 21 2012, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My family as a Macbook Pro and they are amazing computers. I highly recommend them.

I just bought 4 gb ram more for my Macmini and it was totally worth it. Now reaper and other music software opens faster and they run smoother. So if you buy an Apple buy extra memory.
SirJamsalot
Most computers these days are powerful enough for home recording. I still use a computer I bought like 7 years ago with only 4 mb of ram. It has dual processors, but it's by no means as fast as computers these days. Running windows XP, I record in Cubase 5.

I was using Firestudio Mobile, a firewire audio interface, but it burned down after 2 years, so I decided to save a little processor power by purchasing an M-Audio Audiophile interface card for like a 100 bucks. Only 2 ins/outs but I have also have Mackie soundboard so I can route what I need, plus I never record more than 2 things at once anyways - usually just a line in for my guitar, then I'll record vocals at a later time.

It's a low budget solution ~ and it has been working fine for me.

Computer - Audio interface and a microphone are all you really need for the essential package. Good headphones / speakers come a bit later when you really want to start the trek of getting a good mix.

Chris!

oh! and I should also add - count on a single recording project to consist of a directory of unused audio files : that is, you'll record solos several times, but use only one in the end - so count on eating drive space. If you value your music, you'll get a back-up drive in case your main drive bites the big one - and back up your files daily. Just sayin biggrin.gif
Zoot
I'd recommend against going down the laptop route and the Mac root. More bang for your buck in desktop land and more free, good and useful VSTs out there for a PC - and Apple are the spawn of the devil, (oops - couldn't help it, just slipped out).

Get a nice new i5 CPU, (doesn't have to be top of the line spec on the CPU), get as much RAM as you can afford and the best audio interface you can afford. Don't rely on on-board sound card for anything. They all suck.

Todd's suggestion of a guitar based multi-fx audio interface is good if all you're doing is recording guitar, but you tend to pay for the integration and features of the guitar stuff and the actual audio interface side is relatively cheap and nasty. If you don't have a amp/pedal collection that you like, then this can be a good way to go. If you already have a rig that rocks, just get a decent audio interface and a mic.

If you do go for an audio interface, get something that handles 4 ins and 4 outs - much more routing possibilities and flexibility when recording that with 2 in/2 out configs.

My two cents.

Ciao!

Z.
Todd Simpson
This is a KILLER little music rig.

ONE BIG THING TO KEEP IN MIND WITH NEW MAC LAPTOPS!

*THE NEW MACBOOKS USE SOLDERED RAM! So forget upgrading, you have to buy it from APPLE and they SOLDER IT TO THE MOTHERBOARD. Thus, stuffing ram in has to be done when you buy it so it's another $100 (not bad price though) to take it to 8 GB where it will stay.

*GET APPLECARE! One repair can easily cost the PRICE OF THE WHOLE LAPTOP if a motherboard fails after warranty for example. Another $250.

So MACBOOK PRO 13 Inch (The starter one)
2.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide (English)
AppleCare Protection Plan

$1550
U.S.

But this still leaves $350 to play with so I"d say go for it!

quote name='maharzan' date='Jun 20 2012, 10:39 PM' post='591288']

13" macbook pro - 1200
Logic - 200
KRK 8" - 500

See you can easily surpass that budget. If you are recording guitar, you will need another DI box that might cost you another $100-$500.

But you could obviously buy a desktop in a much cheaper price and more powerful I guess. I am into mac so suggesting that. smile.gif
[/quote]

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jun 21 2012, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most computers these days are powerful enough for home recording. I still use a computer I bought like 7 years ago with only 4 mb of ram. It has dual processors, but it's by no means as fast as computers these days. Running windows XP, I record in Cubase 5.

I was using Firestudio Mobile, a firewire audio interface, but it burned down after 2 years, so I decided to save a little processor power by purchasing an M-Audio Audiophile interface card for like a 100 bucks. Only 2 ins/outs but I have also have Mackie soundboard so I can route what I need, plus I never record more than 2 things at once anyways - usually just a line in for my guitar, then I'll record vocals at a later time.

It's a low budget solution ~ and it has been working fine for me.

Computer - Audio interface and a microphone are all you really need for the essential package. Good headphones / speakers come a bit later when you really want to start the trek of getting a good mix.

Chris!

oh! and I should also add - count on a single recording project to consist of a directory of unused audio files : that is, you'll record solos several times, but use only one in the end - so count on eating drive space. If you value your music, you'll get a back-up drive in case your main drive bites the big one - and back up your files daily. Just sayin biggrin.gif

More good points! I hope we are not confusing you too much though. "Buy a Mac!" "No Buy a PC"! But all of this is part of the journey. At some point you have to make some sort of decision and sort of go for it and shortly thereafter you'll figure out what you might have done different, or might do different next time. This if your first buy in, so your just starting out in "Home Studio Land", there will be many more upgrades/changes as technology evolves. It's a moving target, so try out some other recording rigs/software and see what feels best for you.

JesseJ
A Mac also Comes with garageband and thats what I use to record I have never used cubase or anything so I cant tell you how it would compare but I like garageband .
Mike RR24
I actually went with a Boss BR-1600 Multitrack Digital Recorder for $1599.00 It came with a package that included a MIC stand. An okay $100.00 Mic Audio-Technica AT-2020 and 2 KRK 5inch monitors. I love it. I realize this is not a computer based DAW but me being new to recording I needed this all in one solution. I'm able to make some pretty good CD's off of it also.

I hear the PC ones are better and I have a 2010 modem Mac Book Pro but I just did not want to have to figure out the software.
The Garage Band is not real good for recording at all. It pretty much a toy imho. This BR-1600 was a short learning curve. Just throwing that out there. biggrin.gif
Rammikin
Macbook Pro's are nice, but you definitely get a lot more bang for your music making buck with an iMac. The quad cores are especially valuable when multitracking. Plus you get the nice, high quality large display. Unless you need portability, the iMac is an excellent computer to host a digital audio workstation and it would leave you money left over for software and monitors.

I swear by Genelec monitors myself, but Adam and KRK make some excellent monitors as well.

Cubase, Logic, ProTools, and Digital Performer are all excellent and you can't go wrong with any of them. But choosing a DAW is like getting married. It's a significant commitment, not just of money, but of time as you learn to use it, so you want to make sure you're compatible with each other. Do some research to find one that fits the way you think about making music.

Depending on whether you'll be mic'ing an amp, using an outboard guitar processor like a Line 6 Pod, or using an in-the-box amp simulator, you might need an audio interface to get audio from your guitar into the computer.

P.S. Somebody mentioned RAM being soldered in a Macbook Pro, but that's only true in the new Retina model.
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Sparrow @ Jun 21 2012, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am running a iMac the new one and it works great! If you want to create a studio as a business than you need a super powerful computer, but for a home studio iMac will do! I would suggest getting a decent computer and a good audio card! That what will make your sound! You can run Logic instead of Pro tools so you won't be limited on the tracks and won't have a delay when recording!
I can help you out more with this if you want! smile.gif Let me know!
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jun 21 2012, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely right Chris. Whilst having a more powerful computer is nice and may help speed things up and allow you to have more track count it is not essential. Seriously, years ago we seemed to manage on analogue 16 track split consoles but now adays home recording 'needs' unlimited track counts? Any reasonably up to date pc or mac should be able to cope with a properly set up audio project in a daw.

QUOTE (Mike RR24 @ Jun 22 2012, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually went with a Boss BR-1600 Multitrack Digital Recorder for $1599.00 It came with a package that included a MIC stand. An okay $100.00 Mic Audio-Technica AT-2020 and 2 KRK 5inch monitors. I love it. I realize this is not a computer based DAW but me being new to recording I needed this all in one solution. I'm able to make some pretty good CD's off of it also.

Nice idea - a digital multitrack can be a really good if you have no previous experience as it is more immediate and obvious. Signal path/work flow and so on are not often that obvious in a daw.

As Zoot says if you go the daw route you need to invest in a good quality ad/da audio device. Think about what your needs are - the number and types of inputs, types of connections, number and types of outputs, bit depth and sample rate and so on. Cheap AD/DAs will often have both limited features and will also be based around poor quality pre-amps, chip sets and algorythms for the convertors. Spending a bit more here can often improve the quality and also give you a more flexible unit that you will keep for longer before it needs to be upgraded.
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (Sparrow @ Jun 21 2012, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want to get a full blown song editing program like protools or cubase, and a computer that can run all that stuff. ...

Just to add that neither PT nor Cubase are a guarantee of a good final project. One of the worst mixes sent to me to master recently was recorded and mixed on a high end Pro Tools HD system by pro engineers. One of the best was from a home studio that used an old basic 16 track version of RML. In the case of the last one the engineer didn't have an unlimited number of tracks and toys but he knew how to get a good result with what he did have.

Arguably the rise in the use of DAWs has resulted in a lowering of standards as it seems that there are fewer and fewer people who actually know, understand or perhaps care about issues like correct gainstaging, signal flow, bouncing, how and why effects and dynamics work and so on. Similarly few now seem able to listen critically to their own mixes to identify issues let alone understand what needs to be done to improve their mix. I have to say that this includes a lot of people I've come across who studied some college/university course or other about music production.

What I'm getting at is that it isn't just about getting gear, it's about learning how to use it properly. Sometimes it is easier to learn the basics on more limited, and less intimidating, equipment then by jumping in to the deep end.
maharzan
I absolutely agree with iMac. How did I forget that ? smile.gif Maybe coz I am so used to doing all the work in my pro. Theres a major power problem down here and laptops are the only way to go. smile.gif
VilleFIN
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 22 2012, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a KILLER little music rig.

ONE BIG THING TO KEEP IN MIND WITH NEW MAC LAPTOPS!

*THE NEW MACBOOKS USE SOLDERED RAM! So forget upgrading, you have to buy it from APPLE and they SOLDER IT TO THE MOTHERBOARD. Thus, stuffing ram in has to be done when you buy it so it's another $100 (not bad price though) to take it to 8 GB where it will stay.

Off topic but that's very ridiculously !! See now Apple forces customers to buy "their" expensive memory.
I just bough 4 GB Kingston ram for the 25 euros. Apple charges 4 GB for like 100 euros. And I mean one chunk of memory. Two 4GB memory blocks is 200 euros. blink.gif I can get two blocks for 50 euros !!

Okay it's the new Macbook Pro with Retina display. It's comes already with 8 GB memory and you can max it to 16 GB. But still...if this is the future. To Hell with it !! dry.gif
Sparrow
Thanks for all the advice guys! I am reading the thread and trying to figure out what to do!
Sparrow
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 22 2012, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to add that neither PT nor Cubase are a guarantee of a good final project. One of the worst mixes sent to me to master recently was recorded and mixed on a high end Pro Tools HD system by pro engineers. One of the best was from a home studio that used an old basic 16 track version of RML. In the case of the last one the engineer didn't have an unlimited number of tracks and toys but he knew how to get a good result with what he did have.

Arguably the rise in the use of DAWs has resulted in a lowering of standards as it seems that there are fewer and fewer people who actually know, understand or perhaps care about issues like correct gainstaging, signal flow, bouncing, how and why effects and dynamics work and so on. Similarly few now seem able to listen critically to their own mixes to identify issues let alone understand what needs to be done to improve their mix. I have to say that this includes a lot of people I've come across who studied some college/university course or other about music production.

What I'm getting at is that it isn't just about getting gear, it's about learning how to use it properly. Sometimes it is easier to learn the basics on more limited, and less intimidating, equipment then by jumping in to the deep end.

This is what I am scared of! I will buy something very complicated and will be in over my head. I think it would be best to learn on the most basic thing first. I have no idea about gainstaging, signal flow, bouncing flow. So much to learn! What is RML? Can I still buy an old 16 track RML thing?

I am running a iMac the new one and it works great! If you want to create a studio as a business than you need a super powerful computer, but for a home studio iMac will do! I would suggest getting a decent computer and a good audio card! That what will make your sound! You can run Logic instead of Pro tools so you won't be limited on the tracks and won't have a delay when recording!
I can help you out more with this if you want! Let me know!

On the other hand, so many people are recommending Mac, even though it is known they are the devil tongue.gif. An Imac would be nice, I don't need to have a laptop. Alex you must know all about making good mixes laugh.gif So I would need some help!
Rammikin
QUOTE (WeePee @ Jun 22 2012, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Off topic but that's very ridiculously !! See now Apple forces customers to buy "their" expensive memory.
I just bough 4 GB Kingston ram for the 25 euros. Apple charges 4 GB for like 100 euros. And I mean one chunk of memory. Two 4GB memory blocks is 200 euros. blink.gif I can get two blocks for 50 euros !!

Okay it's the new Macbook Pro with Retina display. It's comes already with 8 GB memory and you can max it to 16 GB. But still...if this is the future. To Hell with it !! dry.gif

Of course, things in life are never that simple smile.gif. The Retina model has soldered RAM and no optical drive. But that's precisely what makes it so light and thin. For some people that is an excellent tradeoff.

Todd Simpson
All of this is why I urged you to start a thread. It can be overwhelming at first when you realize that there is not one "Best" answer. The important thing to do is actually get started. Instead of blowing your entire wad, of 2k, I'd suggest maybe starting small so you can start figuring out what works for you and what doesn't.

You can get a very cheap PC laptop and run Reaper using a cheap interface and at least get going on recording. In terms of ease of use, it's really hard to beat the imac which comes with Garage Band and makes a great first DAW. Some important tips.

1.)I LOVE my macbook, but as they have recently changed them to make then NON UPGRADEABLE I would not suggest it as a "First Computer". Pricey, no upgrades option, etc.

2.)The cheapest iMac makes a great starter solution. Comes with Garage Band, can run Reaper, later on you can get in to LOGIC or CUBASE, PRO TOOLS, etc. And it's about the same price as a laptop but with much bigger screen.

3.)PC is a valid option and far cheaper. If you already know the PC, this is a good way to go. No garage band, but you can jump in to REAPER.

4.)Good headphones are a MINIMUM, until you decide on decent monitors.

5.)Any audio interface will do as your "First Interface" again, your just getting started and you just need some experience at this point so you can start the journey.

Todd

QUOTE (Sparrow @ Jun 22 2012, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what I am scared of! I will buy something very complicated and will be in over my head. I think it would be best to learn on the most basic thing first. I have no idea about gainstaging, signal flow, bouncing flow. So much to learn! What is RML? Can I still buy an old 16 track RML thing?

On the other hand, so many people are recommending Mac, even though it is known they are the devil tongue.gif. An Imac would be nice, I don't need to have a laptop. Alex you must know all about making good mixes laugh.gif So I would need some help!

Rammikin

On the topic of mixing, I would highly recommend "MIxing Secrets for the Small Studio" by Mike Senior. That should be required reading for any recording musician smile.gif
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Sparrow @ Jun 22 2012, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get Mac it's is more stable and reliable! For a budget of 2K I would suggest this combination:
iMac will be around 1300 http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac
Logic 9 you can find it anywhere from $250 - 500 http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB795Z/A
For the sound card I would go with Apogee the best quality out there! Recording studios running pro tools but composers Logic and apogee!
There are two options:
Two channel duet
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/a...terface-regular You can find one in Mint condition or previous generation for $300
Or Gio for guitar recording
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/a...-controller-mac this one new for $400 used for $250

I found this to be the best combination and very good equipment that will not loose the value!
Let me know if you have any questions!

Rammikin
Many great ideas on this thread. On the subject of audio interfaces, I'll just add: the choice of an audio interface depends greatly on what you'll be plugging into it.

If you're using an outboard guitar processor like a Line6 Pod, then you may not need an audio interface at all. The built-in audio interfaces on recent Macs are actually quite good.

If you're using an in-the-box software amp simulator like Guitar Rig or Overloud TH2, then you don't need an audio interface with mic preamps and you can simply use something like an Apogee Jam.

It's only if your'e micing an amp that you'll need mic pres. You could either use a mic preamp and run the output from that directly into a Mac, or you could get a combination audio interface/mic pre (there are many to choose from, for example a Focusrite Scarlett) if you'd rather not use the audio input on your computer.
thefireball
Indeed, it is possible to have a humble setup and still record. I, for one, have a Dell Inspiron 1545: 2.1 GHz Dual Core with 8GB of RAM that lags just a little bit with Reaper, but not by much. (I have so much on this laptop, but it is the only PC I have. sad.gif Things are REALLY REALLY TIGHT for me right now. I use a POD GX from Line 6 as an interface, through POD Farm 2 and a few expansion packs. I do have Alesis M1Active Mk2 monitors, but where I am temporarily staying right I have no place to put them like I did at my old house. So I have ..... earbuds again.... >_> . But that's okay, because I take it into my car stereo and listen for a better mixing reference.

Even so, I'm not the one mixing and mastering my stuff. WideK is doing my mixing and mastering when it is all done. I know it would not be recommended by some engineers (since he most likely uses software instead of hardware for mastering, but he is probably one of my only options. I also know of Keith Merrow, and he has about the same prices, but I am afraid to use him. I have heard that nasty distortion Tony has talked about on some threads here at GMC. I hear it clearly in his latest work. Probably only because of the knowledge I have gained here at GMC....what little that may be. biggrin.gif Otherwise, I probably wouldn't notice. It's just a distortion you hear on top of his distorted guitars... like... clipping! I have never heard that from WideK... huh.gif ? So, I dunno. If you have the money to get it done right and professionally, then I would say go for it! But I have a limited budget. Oh, and btw, I use a bass vst happy.gif because I have not a real bass guitar. And I use EZdrummer DFH pack, AND some free synth vsts I have found on the internet to spice up the tracks.

I am working on my first EP and will release it on bandcamp.com. I literally JUST started work on my EP - like, a week ago.

Go for whatever floats your boat man! Windows or Mac...something will work for ya! Good luck!!!

-Brandon Burch
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jun 23 2012, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many great ideas on this thread. On the subject of audio interfaces, I'll just add: the choice of an audio interface depends greatly on what you'll be plugging into it.

If you're using an outboard guitar processor like a Line6 Pod, then you may not need an audio interface at all. The built-in audio interfaces on recent Macs are actually quite good.

If you're using an in-the-box software amp simulator like Guitar Rig or Overloud TH2, then you don't need an audio interface with mic preamps and you can simply use something like an Apogee Jam.

It's only if your'e micing an amp that you'll need mic pres. You could either use a mic preamp and run the output from that directly into a Mac, or you could get a combination audio interface/mic pre (there are many to choose from, for example a Focusrite Scarlett) if you'd rather not use the audio input on your computer.

Even if you are running a processor it's better to have preamps! You can use a processor like POD and run it through the preamp and you will get better sound!
The way preamp work is basically boosting up your signal without boosting noise and coloring the signal! That's pretty much it!
So you can run preamp with anything! You can even plug in your pedalboard into preamp and will get a huge difference in the sound!
Saoirse O'Shea

Sparrow - RML produce a DAW that few people seem to have heard of: http://www.sawstudio.com/products_sawstudio.htm

It's probably closer in layout and workflow to an old analogue in-line console than any other daw on the market and so for those who apprenticed on analogue it may be more intuitive and immediate. The guy who sent us his project mixed it on RML specifically because, a bit like me, he apprenticed in studios way back before daws existed. It's not however a cheap or visually pretty option.

There are however plenty of options and if you're on a limited budget I'd strongly recommend Reaper if yu want a more standard but full featured daw. You can download and assess/test a full working copy of Reaper and if you like it a single user license is only about $60 - don't assume from the price though that it's some basic daw, it's very capable and can hold it's own against full version of PT/Cubase whatever.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jun 22 2012, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the topic of mixing, I would highly recommend "MIxing Secrets for the Small Studio" by Mike Senior. That should be required reading for any recording musician smile.gif

Completely agree - Mike's book is highly recommended

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 22 2012, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Apogee the best quality out there! Recording studios running pro tools but composers Logic and apogee!

Apogee is a good choice for macs. It is not the 'best quality' however but more at the top end of the 'prosumer' tree. Other good 'prosumer' convertors come from the likes of MOTU, RME, Lynx, PT-HD. Good 'prosumer' that have say 8 or more in/out with preamps tend to be in the $1500 range.

Some recording /mixing studios are PT-HD based but many are not.

Best quality is a bit subjective but the convertors here would include Lavry, Prism, Cranesong, Forsell, Mytek. Those are all however above your budget - they all cost over $4000.

One of the real and very noticeable differences in quality between pro and 'prosumer' occurs if you clip the ADC. 'Prosumer' equipment goes in to nasty distortion stragiht away whereas pro equpiment doesn't. Us mastering engineers use this ability to drive the ADC to help you achieve higher levels of gain without things getting nasty. If you look at Fireball's post the nasty distortion he mentions is quite probably due to clipping a 'prosumer' ADC.

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 23 2012, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... it's better to have preamps!...

Very true

The way preamp work is basically boosting up your signal without boosting noise and coloring the signal! ...

Not really Alex. Preamps boost noise when you use them to boost signal - the way to minimise an increase in the noise floor is to gainstage properly. Also, preamps colour the signal. There's a world of difference in the colour that a Neve imparts to a Focusrite ISA. The issue tends to be whether you like the colour that the preamp imparts.
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 23 2012, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... is doing my mixing and mastering when it is all done. I know it would not be recommended by some engineers (since he most likely uses software instead of hardware for mastering, but he is probably one of my only options. ...

The issue tends to be more about objectivity then the sole use of software. It is very rare to find a mix engineer who is objective enough to be able to master projects that they have mixed even if they leave some time between the two. Someone who places a mix for mastering normally thinks that it is already of sufficient quality and that they have done the best that they can. As such they are not objective enough to critically listen to it.

Unless the engineer has separate studios for mixing and mastering then one or the other or both will end up compromised as the two have different requirements with regard to acoustic treatment and monitor type and placement. I have to say that as a minimum any good mastering engineer should tell you what their monitoring chain - convertors and monitors etc - is if asked. If it's one that is recording/mixing based then be careful. If you can't hear it then you can not master it.

With regard to only using software.

It's quite possible to do good work only using software. Experienced pro mastering engineers however often use hardware as it allows us to get a more natural sound and a wider and deeper stereo stage and so on. Mastering hardware is considerably more expensive than software though. Any mastering engineer who uses hardware is thus also much more likely to have been in the business for some time and have plenty of real experience.

It is also very easy to butcher a project using software. Far too many people claim to be able to master but do little more than use a preset in some software package. Presets don't work in mastering. Software that tends to really be good enough for mastering also tends to be relatively expensive - not as expensive as hardware but more than standard vsts. Much of it is made and sold as individual, specific vsts rather than suites/packages. So you might buy a specific eq or compressor or limiter but you would rarely, if ever, buy them as an 'all-in-one' vst. It's possible to get good results from an 'all-in-one' but you need to spend time using, experimenting and learning what works and what doesn't rather than just use the presets.

Mastering hardware to look out for includes:

Convertors from - Prism, Lavry, Forsell, Mytek, Cranesong...
Monitors from - ATC, PMC, K&H, the Nautillus, Focal, Event, Lipinski...
EQs - Great River, Sontek, Cranesong, Millenia, Gyraf, GML, Maselec, API...
Comps - Maselec, Manley, Millenia, API, Thermionic, Cranesong, Elysia...
... and so on

Software:
Flux, Sonoris, Elephant, Algorythmix...

What tends to be missing in the above are names that are highly regarded in recording/mixing - mastering hardware/software is not the same as recording/mixing.
thefireball
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 23 2012, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The issue tends to be more about objectivity then the sole use of software. It is very rare to find a mix engineer who is objective enough to be able to master projects that they have mixed even if they leave some time between the two. Someone who places a mix for mastering normally thinks that it is already of sufficient quality and that they have done the best that they can. As such they are not objective enough to critically listen to it.

Unless the engineer has separate studios for mixing and mastering then one or the other or both will end up compromised as the two have different requirements with regard to acoustic treatment and monitor type and placement. I have to say that as a minimum any good mastering engineer should tell you what their monitoring chain - convertors and monitors etc - is if asked. If it's one that is recording/mixing based then be careful. If you can't hear it then you can not master it.

With regard to only using software.

It's quite possible to do good work only using software. Experienced pro mastering engineers however often use hardware as it allows us to get a more natural sound and a wider and deeper stereo stage and so on. Mastering hardware is considerably more expensive than software though. Any mastering engineer who uses hardware is thus also much more likely to have been in the business for some time and have plenty of real experience.

It is also very easy to butcher a project using software. Far too many people claim to be able to master but do little more than use a preset in some software package. Presets don't work in mastering. Software that tends to really be good enough for mastering also tends to be relatively expensive - not as expensive as hardware but more than standard vsts. Much of it is made and sold as individual, specific vsts rather than suites/packages. So you might buy a specific eq or compressor or limiter but you would rarely, if ever, buy them as an 'all-in-one' vst. It's possible to get good results from an 'all-in-one' but you need to spend time using, experimenting and learning what works and what doesn't rather than just use the presets.

Mastering hardware to look out for includes:

Convertors from - Prism, Lavry, Forsell, Mytek, Cranesong...
Monitors from - ATC, PMC, K&H, the Nautillus, Focal, Event, Lipinski...
EQs - Great River, Sontek, Cranesong, Millenia, Gyraf, GML, Maselec, API...
Comps - Maselec, Manley, Millenia, API, Thermionic, Cranesong, Elysia...
... and so on

Software:
Flux, Sonoris, Elephant, Algorythmix...

What tends to be missing in the above are names that are highly regarded in recording/mixing - mastering hardware/software is not the same as recording/mixing.

mellow.gif I don't know what to do, Tony. (Only because of my very limited budget) Maybe I should get someone else to mix my stuff and then get someone else to master. WideK knows of me and remembers me well and I would hate to not use him at all. I already told him I want him to mix and master my stuff when it's ready. (I'm just too nice, I guess.) biggrin.gif I wonder if he is a capable masterer. Tony, what do you think of his quality of his latest work? I know you have critical ears because you are trained, but honestly, I love the way his stuff sounds. But Kreepmaster, eh...I have to say I don't like the way his stuff is done. It's like his drums are fighting with the rest of his mix! sad.gif

Take, Sithe Aye, who mixes and masters his own stuff. My ears are satisified with his result. I think his material is amazing! Anyway, WideK is the only of these three dudes I mentioned in this post that offers services.

-Brandon
Rammikin
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 23 2012, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even if you are running a processor it's better to have preamps! You can use a processor like POD and run it through the preamp and you will get better sound!
The way preamp work is basically boosting up your signal without boosting noise and coloring the signal! That's pretty much it!
So you can run preamp with anything! You can even plug in your pedalboard into preamp and will get a huge difference in the sound!

Can you use a preamp with a processor like a Pod that already amplifies your guitar signal to line level? Yes, it's possible to do that. Does a preamp boost signal without boosting noise? No, that's simply impossible with the physical laws that govern our universe smile.gif. Should the original poster buy a preamp from his $2000 budget if he's using a processor like a Pod? I wouldn't recommend it since that would be redundant so he'd probably be better off spending that money elsewhere.
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jun 23 2012, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you use a preamp with a processor like a Pod that already amplifies your guitar signal to line level? Yes, it's possible to do that. Does a preamp boost signal without boosting noise? No, that's simply impossible with the physical laws that govern our universe smile.gif. Should the original poster buy a preamp from his $2000 budget if he's using a processor like a Pod? I wouldn't recommend it since that would be redundant so he'd probably be better off spending that money elsewhere.

I probably didn't explain it right! This way will be easier! smile.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone_preamplifier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preamplifier
Should the original poster buy a preamp from his $2000 budget if he's using a processor like a Pod?
My advice was to get a soundcard that has preamps built on instead of going with apogee Jam I only suggested the next level of soundcard! The original question was to get a home studio for 2K
This is the best solution for this amount of money IMHO! The reason is simple all devices are working fine together and designed to do so! So what is the point of trying to invent a wheel if you can get simple and reliable equipment for the amount of money!
smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 23 2012, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sparrow - RML produce a DAW that few people seem to have heard of: http://www.sawstudio.com/products_sawstudio.htm

It's probably closer in layout and workflow to an old analogue in-line console than any other daw on the market and so for those who apprenticed on analogue it may be more intuitive and immediate. The guy who sent us his project mixed it on RML specifically because, a bit like me, he apprenticed in studios way back before daws existed. It's not however a cheap or visually pretty option.

There are however plenty of options and if you're on a limited budget I'd strongly recommend Reaper if yu want a more standard but full featured daw. You can download and assess/test a full working copy of Reaper and if you like it a single user license is only about $60 - don't assume from the price though that it's some basic daw, it's very capable and can hold it's own against full version of PT/Cubase whatever.

Completely agree - Mike's book is highly recommended

Apogee is a good choice for macs. It is not the 'best quality' however but more at the top end of the 'prosumer' tree. Other good 'prosumer' convertors come from the likes of MOTU, RME, Lynx, PT-HD. Good 'prosumer' that have say 8 or more in/out with preamps tend to be in the $1500 range.

Some recording /mixing studios are PT-HD based but many are not.

Best quality is a bit subjective but the convertors here would include Lavry, Prism, Cranesong, Forsell, Mytek. Those are all however above your budget - they all cost over $4000.

One of the real and very noticeable differences in quality between pro and 'prosumer' occurs if you clip the ADC. 'Prosumer' equipment goes in to nasty distortion stragiht away whereas pro equpiment doesn't. Us mastering engineers use this ability to drive the ADC to help you achieve higher levels of gain without things getting nasty. If you look at Fireball's post the nasty distortion he mentions is quite probably due to clipping a 'prosumer' ADC.

Very true

Not really Alex. Preamps boost noise when you use them to boost signal - the way to minimise an increase in the noise floor is to gainstage properly. Also, preamps colour the signal. There's a world of difference in the colour that a Neve imparts to a Focusrite ISA. The issue tends to be whether you like the colour that the preamp imparts.

Again didn't explain myself right:)
I was suggesting apogee because it is better than Mbox or LE for the money you will spend on it!
From my experience Apogee mostly used by composers for arranging and producing for mixing and recording pro tools!
I am getting away recording for big LA studios with Ensemble a few mics and Avalon preamp and everybody seem to like it!
I don't think it's about equipment as much as about ears! smile.gif
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 24 2012, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again didn't explain myself right:)
I was suggesting apogee because it is better than Mbox or LE for the money you will spend on it!
From my experience Apogee mostly used by composers for arranging and producing for mixing and recording pro tools!
I am getting away recording for big LA studios with Ensemble a few mics and Avalon preamp and everybody seem to like it!
I don't think it's about equipment as much as about ears! smile.gif

Hi Alex -neither of those articles disagree with the point that boosting using a preamp will raise the noise floor. As Rammikin states it's a physical law. You can only minimise/control for this by proper gainstaging. One of the issues that we see all the time in problem mixes is that many people do not seem to understand gainstaging.

I'm not suggesting that you can't get a good recording/mix using an Apogee. They're one of the better 'prosumer' interfaces. What I am stating though is that they are not the best convertor available based on the quality of the conversion. (If you want to define 'best' by some other parameter such as value for money you can of course come up with a different end result.)

WRT conversion quality: An ideal AD/DA would induce no distortion and be perfectly flat in the pass band up to the transition band. That ideal is not achievable but as an ideal the closer you come to it the better the AD/DA. So the 'best' AD/DA is whichever comes closest to the ideal. Mastering AD/DAs are generally designed to physically separate filters and convertors in order to come as close to the ideal as possible but that comes at a price. Lavry/Cranesong/Forsell/Prism etc all cost considerably more than an Apogee. From what I remember of the Ensemble design they use a single chip for conversion and filtering. That is a compromised design common in 'prosumer' and consumer AD/DA and it's done to keep costs down. It often leads to ripple distortion and other issues. If you multiply process a signal through the Ensemble you can often hear a small amount of induced ripple distortion and other artefacts. Small amounts of ripple in recording and mixing can be acceptable and is often mistakenly thought to be 'musical colour' but it is not good in mastering.

If someone wants to hear what convertors sound like, why mastering engineers pay $000s for convertors, and particularly the difference between a 'prosumer' and a mastering AD/DA, then they should go to a mastering studio.
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 23 2012, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mellow.gif I don't know what to do, Tony. (Only because of my very limited budget) Maybe I should get someone else to mix my stuff and then get someone else to master. WideK knows of me and remembers me well and I would hate to not use him at all. I already told him I want him to mix and master my stuff when it's ready. (I'm just too nice, I guess.) biggrin.gif I wonder if he is a capable masterer. Tony, what do you think of his quality of his latest work? I know you have critical ears because you are trained, but honestly, I love the way his stuff sounds. But Kreepmaster, eh...I have to say I don't like the way his stuff is done. It's like his drums are fighting with the rest of his mix! sad.gif

Take, Sithe Aye, who mixes and masters his own stuff. My ears are satisified with his result. I think his material is amazing! Anyway, WideK is the only of these three dudes I mentioned in this post that offers services.

-Brandon

Sorry Brandon but I can't really comment as I don't know what he did as we have no 'before' mixing/mastering to compare with the end result and we also don't know what the client/producer wanted from the mix/master.

You need to listen critically and not be affected by whether you like the music, guitar tonality etc. Too often people get carried away with how much they like a song or the vocalist or whatever and are not objective about the mix and so don't really think about whether the balance is good, levels appropriate, mistakes corrected, etc.

It's also worth remembering that mastering isn't first, last and always about processing to achieve a given sound. It's more about ensuring quality of the end result and that it is fit for purpose. Unintended signal distortion/clipping and shearing as far as I'm concerned can rarely be fit for purpose and of requisite quality. Good communication between the engineer and the producer is really important. Critically listening to a mix and discussing issues and intentions with the producer is, to me, a basic requirement for a master. So if you ask the engineer to critically comment on the mix they should do so.

If you decide to use him to do the master and someone else to do the mix (or vice versa) I'm sure he'll cope. It's part of this business and one of the earliest lessons that any pro engineer learns: you haven't got the session until you've done the work and been paid.

Ultimately if you like his work and he fits your budget for mixing or mastering or both and you can work and communicate with him then use him.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.