Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refinishing My Esp!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
The Uncreator
So I have begun today the arduous process of refinishing my ESP SC207. Since I am waiting a few weeks for my new DiMarzio's to show up, thought I would make progress shots in this thread to show you as I go!

Here is the first set of coats I did as a test. I primed it by sanding the clear coat off with 320 grit sandpaper up to about 600 grit by hand, then cleaning and wiping down with alcohol
Click to view attachment

What the finished color will look like (minus the clear coat). A bit darker after I touch it up though.
Click to view attachment

Going to start the body sometime soon here, will keep you updated through the whole thing!
Pourliver
The color is really cool man ! It would look cool with a dark blue gradient effect. biggrin.gif
thefireball
Good luck with it man!!
The Uncreator
QUOTE (Pourliver @ Jun 23 2012, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The color is really cool man ! It would look cool with a dark blue gradient effect. biggrin.gif

Actually the black undertone of the previous finish looks really cool. Might try a gradient on a test body sometime.
The Uncreator

Neck is finished for paint, just clear coats now!
Dieterle
a fine job you made !
smile.gif
Slavenko Erazer
I always like to watch guitar luthier work-outs wink.gif
Good luck with whole procedure wink.gif
Ben Higgins
Looks sexy as hell !! biggrin.gif
The Uncreator
How many of you would do this to your only guitar tongue.gif

Wind picked up pretty bad when I was spraying, drying the body instantly in small areas creating blotches.

Sanded lightly with 1500 grit paper, then recoated to fix blotches. Here is the first coat.

And coat number two

Some evening to do but another coat or two and it will be good, ready for clearcoating!
VilleFIN
Very nice ! Just wondering do you hit those pick ups with pick when playing ? I have single coil pick up in the middle in my guitar. I kept hitting it so I lowered it and that worked happy.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 25 2012, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not me ! I wouldn't trust myself !! tongue.gif
Sensible Jones
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 25 2012, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guilty as charged, sir!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Hope you manage to even out those blemishes mate! I really like that colour!
The Uncreator
Looks fantastic now, took four more coats to get it even. As for the middle pickup it never got in the way, I also never used it so thats why its missing. It will be filled in.

I REALLY want to rout it for a neck pickup but I just dont have the trust in myself when it comes to extensive woodwork like that. If I had a template or way to make one I might try it.
The Uncreator

Super terrible lighting, camera is uber poop. Will be borrowing better camera for final pictures. Cavity needs to be filled, new chrome hardware is missing still, and completely forgot to order a ring for the pickup, which makes it look weird now. But hey, this is pretty close!
Todd Simpson
Congrats! Eddie van halen just left his early guitars with their "DIY" bits as is and it became a style. So even if you leave it with a pickup missing, no pickup cover, etc. It still works as a customized DIY Battle Axe!

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 2 2012, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Super terrible lighting, camera is uber poop. Will be borrowing better camera for final pictures. Cavity needs to be filled, new chrome hardware is missing still, and completely forgot to order a ring for the pickup, which makes it look weird now. But hey, this is pretty close!

The Uncreator
Higher quality pics, but first, I had to get these:

My nephew Liam, we had to trick him with bits of food to stand still, otherwise he was grabbing all over the guitar, still trying to get his fingerprints off laugh.gif

My niece and nephew, although he seems sad that his sister is around, haha

Ok, to the outside pics with better lighting:

Look at dem fingerprints, nothing to wash it off with at the time but I couldnt resist letting them take pictures with it

And my niece had to model again smile.gif

Ben Higgins
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 4 2012, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My niece and nephew, although he seems sad that his sister is around, haha

I think he's sad because she's already figured out how to use 2 hands on the fretboard ! wink.gif
Dieterle
Hey the two LITTLE Ones look cute ! smile.gif

and that guitar is well done !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.