Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unique And Amazing Solo
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Cosmin Lupu
Guys, I was going through some older music I got and bumped into Freak Kitchen's self titled disc released in 1998 and found this incredibly emotive song which features one of the most interesting and hair raising guitar solos I have ever heard. Check it out at min 02:50

I think Mattias' melodic sense is out of this world and the note choice is at least unusual - I don't think it sounds like anything I would've expected to hear and it kind of took me by surprise even after having listened to it a few hundred times at least over the years.

What is the most unique solo you have ever encountered and what made it sound unique to you - note choice, phrasing? I will take some time to analyze it and see what Mr. Eklundh did here smile.gif

Opetholic
Yea this was quite interesting Cosmin smile.gif Thanks for sharing. The most unique solos for me were Tom Morello's solos when I first heard them. He makes some impossible sounds with his guitar. So I guess for me it is the note choice and the weird stuff/noises you make with your instrument biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jul 17 2012, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea this was quite interesting Cosmin smile.gif Thanks for sharing. The most unique solos for me were Tom Morello's solos when I first heard them. He makes some impossible sounds with his guitar. So I guess for me it is the note choice and the weird stuff/noises you make with your instrument biggrin.gif

If we're dealing with Tom's work, I just HAVE to share this:

Also check out the first comment laugh.gif
Opetholic
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 17 2012, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we're dealing with Tom's work, I just HAVE to share this:

Also check out the first comment laugh.gif

Oh wow that's a brilliant idea biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I will try it next time I turn my amp on tongue.gif
I lolled at the first comment haha
TreyDeschamp
Paul Gilbert's solo in Superheroes

Paul Gilbert's solo in The Last Rock and Roll Star (starts at 2:37)

Ben Higgins
Very nice solo. Mattias is an amazing player ! smile.gif

Pretty much anything of the Surfing with the Alien and Flying in a Blue Dream records did it for me back in the day..

Solo from 1:30... that whammy bar lick used to blow my head off ! biggrin.gif

Max Sokolov
This guy amazed me some time ago with note choice)
This is kind of weird playing))
Solo from 2.30

derper
Listening to that Paul Gilbert solo, reminds me of the first time I heard (my first Metal album EVER, 8yrs old!!) the Megadeth "Rust In Peace" album. Nearly every sings Friedman solo on that album is absolutely creative, intense, melodic and just astonishing.

So, my answer is every Freidman solo on the "Rust in Peace" album. To this day, I still find him to be one of the most unique and creative metal solo players. But....I listen to way more jazz than metal now that I'm an old man (31). dry.gif
gregc1
Here's one of my all time favorite solos. It's Steve Morse on Deep Purple's Ted the Mechanic.

It starts at the 1:45 mark.

I guess it's nothing earth shattering but I love how he uses the frantic muted lower note runs mixed throughout and then his smooth AP and "floaty" tapping on top of the marching, nod-your-head beat is just exquisite to me. Also his use of harmonics fits right in.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Jul 17 2012, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's one of my all time favorite solos. It's Steve Morse on Deep Purple's Ted the Mechanic.

I guess it's nothing earth shattering but I love how he uses the frantic muted lower note runs mixed throughout and then his smooth AP and "floaty" tapping on top of the marching, nod-your-head beat is just exquisite to me. Also his use of harmonics fits right in.

Oh yes, I love this one as well wink.gif One of my favorite solos from Steve Morse, indeed.
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Jul 17 2012, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a wicked solo ! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.