Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mad's Bootcamp
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Todd Simpson
Pages: 1, 2
Todd Simpson
HERE IS A DIRECT LINK TO YOUR BOOTCAMP!

http://bitly.com/madsbootcamp

Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

Practice!
Todd
mad
Sir, here is my first attempt on drill-lesson 1:

mad
For some reason the video wasn't in sync with the audio (must be youtube prob)..
here is the same uploaded again:

..should be up shortly..
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (mad @ Aug 4 2012, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For some reason the video wasn't in sync with the audio (must be youtube prob)..

..should be up shortly..

I see it's working! I'll give this a listen Soldier! If you notice lag, please feel free to shoot me a PM and declare you've drawn first blood in a mission!

Todd
Todd Simpson
Alright Soldier! Let's do this!

Here is where you honored our Fallen.

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Ballistic Speed
2.)Clean strikes
3.)Aggresive Style

You've done time in the trenches Soldiers and it shows! Precision, Speed, aggression, all there!

Here is where half your squad got killed.

UN-MARKED GRAVE

1.)Floating Hand Syndrome
*When you hit speed, your right hand lifts a bit and loses it's mute. This results in notes sorta going blurry which is a shame since youve got great speed and holding the mute would give it a very percussive feel. Look @ time index 2:00 to see what I mean.

2.)Cement Boots
*You get points for speed and precision but once you hit your stride you park your left hand in the same spot and don't move about much. The good news is this is easy to fix. Watch the original vid again and notice how I randomly bounce around to different frets. the point of this is to teach you to "Stick The Landing".

In short Soldier, take this mission head on and refine your BLACK OPS fingers skills and YOU WILL LEVEL UP!

Todd

QUOTE (mad @ Aug 4 2012, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..should be up shortly..
mad
Todd - I'd like to continue my mission, here's my next take for your first lesson..

Todd Simpson
First off, NICE SHIRT!!!!! smile.gif Second, WELL FOUGHT!!!!! Glad to see you back in KILLING FORM!!!!

You sir have just ......

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Good hand synch
2.)Planted Palm Mute
3.)Assasin Quality Picking

Click to view attachment

Don't forget to sign up for the SIX DEMON BAG COLLAB!! You ready for it Soldier!!!

http://bitly.com/sixdemonbagcollab

QUOTE (mad @ Aug 17 2013, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Todd - I'd like to continue my mission, here's my next take for your first lesson..

mad
Thanks Todd!

I'll give that collab a try for sure - so what's exactly my next mission smile.gif
Todd Simpson
Every mission from here on in is to follow the lessons from 2-200 playing each example and having it debrief by yours truly!!! This going to get harder as you go since the lessons start having 6 or 8 examples once you reach a certain point. smile.gif

Here is the direct link to every lesson!

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...-_Shred_Journey
Todd

QUOTE (mad @ Aug 18 2013, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Todd!

I'll give that collab a try for sure - so what's exactly my next mission smile.gif
mad
Here's my take on your second lesson, sergeant.

Todd Simpson
Well fought Soldier!! Nice Axe and killer Guitar Rack!!! I have to say, buying a guitar rack for my studio was one of the best purchases I ever made.

Giving it a listen now!!

QUOTE (mad @ Aug 21 2013, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my take on your second lesson, sergeant.

mad
Thanks Todd!
Already preparing for Mission3 smile.gif
Todd Simpson
Drilling and Killing!!! I watched this vid a few times looking for mistakes and i'm happy to say it looked good!! I think I can cut to the chase and tell you..

You sir have just ......

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)tight right/left hand synch
2.)Planted Palm Mute (every note clean and muted)
3.)Very even pacing (not rushing or dragging)

Congrats Soldier!!!! Here is your latest BATTLE SHIELD!!
Click to view attachment

ONWARD!!!q
Sarge

QUOTE (mad @ Aug 22 2013, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Todd!
Already preparing for Mission3 smile.gif

mad
And here's mission3..

Todd Simpson
Well fought Soldier!! I think you are ready for SPECIAL ASSIGNMENT. You've got the hang of this so let's turn it up a notch. Try this same mission..

1.)Double Picked (Pick each note twice)
2.)Quad Pick (Pick each note four times)

This will take a bit of work but your KILL RATIO will thank you smile.gif

SARGE

QUOTE (mad @ Aug 23 2013, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And here's mission3..

mad
Hey Todd,

is this what you meant:

Special Assignment1 @ 90bpm

Special Assignment2 @ 90bpm

Todd Simpson
I can see you have been putting time in at the firing range Soldier!!!! Your skills as a warrior and getting sharper by the day! I see blood on the fretboard!!! In short, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Very clean picking
2.)Killer job on Hand Synch
3.)Doubles and Quads are precise and clear

You just CRUSHED IT Soldier!! Get ready, these get tougher!!!

In Honor of this victory, here is your latest BATTLE SHIELD!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (mad @ Aug 24 2013, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Todd,

is this what you meant:

Special Assignment1 @ 90bpm

Special Assignment2 @ 90bpm

mad
Sarge,

this one was indeed quite tough for me..
Anyway, mission4:

mad
Aaand next one..

mad
Here's mission6 with some bonus biggrin.gif

Todd Simpson
Nicely played Soldier!!!! You have clearly gone beyond the "Basics" and I want you to start EARNING IT!!!!!!

You've got this MISSION down cold Soldier. So I want to see you bleed a bit!!! Soo........

SPECIAL DETACHED DUTY

*Reload your guns and ...

1.)Play this mission using DOUBLE PICKING
2.)Play this mission using either TRIPLE or QUAD picking, Dealers Choice!!!!

I applaud your enthusiasm in going for the next few mission!!! We only Debrief one at a time, but feel free to forge ahead and we will tackle them one by one!

Todd

QUOTE (mad @ Aug 31 2013, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sarge,

this one was indeed quite tough for me..
Anyway, mission4:

mad
thanks drill sergeant!

Guns reloaded - here's mission 4 with double and triple picking

Todd Simpson
Nicely done Soldier!!! I think you are ready to push the envelope a bit here. A couple of things to try.

1.)Pick a different drum beat that's as uncomplicated as possible. With multipicking especially, a simple click, or snare/kick pattern is best just because it lets you lock to a drum/click and removes the push/pull of a back beat. Straight clicks are fine.

2.)PUSH THE SPEED A BIT SOLDIER!!! You have good technique here, I think your precision will allow for increased pace if you unleash it a bit!!

FIGHT HARDER!!!!!

SARGE!!!

QUOTE (mad @ Sep 4 2013, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks drill sergeant!

Guns reloaded - here's mission 4 with double and triple picking

mad
Yes Sir!
mad
Sir, mission update!

Todd Simpson
I must commend you Soldier on your rugged persistence. Your outright refusal to yield even when the road got longer as you marched!!! You sir have just ......

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Very tight picking pattern (zero hand wag)
2.)Planted Palm Mute
3.)Pick articulation and Speed/Traverse are top notch

Soldier you just KRUSHED IT!!!!!

Click to view attachment
mad
Thanks, Sir!

Now here's my try for mission5:

Todd Simpson

This is very well fought per usual Soldier!!! As you DRILLED AND KILLED on your Special Duty assignment, I'd like to see you do the same on this MISSION. Keep all of your technique in tact and RELOAD For..

1.)Double Picked Version (pick each note twice)
2.)Dealers choice Triple or Quad Pick.

Try to push the metronome to your max rate where you can still play clean, not missing notes, but where you feel you are at the edge of your control. It's at this point that progress often happens smile.gif

SARGE

QUOTE (mad @ Sep 5 2013, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, Sir!

Now here's my try for mission5:

mad
Mission update!

Private mad
Todd Simpson
Soldier, I continue to be impressed with your progress!!! I knew you could do it and you did it!!!! Well fought!!

Let's Debrief!!...

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Very little hand wag, nice tight picking pattern!
2.)Precise Strikes!!
3.)Very clean and evenly played.

Soldier, you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

You are zooming up through the ranks Soldier!!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (mad @ Sep 8 2013, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mission update!

Private mad
mad
Thank you Sir!

Here's Mission 6:

Todd Simpson
Well fought Soldier!! You are KNOCKING THEM DOWN as soon as you take aim!!!! Clearly some time at shooting range!!!!!!

Let's Debrief!!...

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Solid picking technique and it keeps getting better
2.)Precise articulation and getting better each time
3.)Timing is very tight and also keeps getting better

Soldier, you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

Your on track to to come the Highest Ranked Elite Sniper we have Soldier!!

Click to view attachment
mad
Thank you, Sir! Mission7 will be accomplished soon!
mad
Sir, Mission7!

Todd Simpson
This is quite well fought Soldier!! All of the elements of WAR are in Balance! I think you can KRUSH this thing with some ADVANCED PICKING!!!

PREPARE FOR SPECIAL DETACHED DUTY

1.)Try this using DOUBLE PICK
2.)Try this using the dreaded QUAD PICK (Four strikes per note)

You will have to EARN THE CRAP OUT OF IT on Quad Picking as the pattern is so long, many Soldiers forget where they are in the pattern. But I have seen great things in your playing and feel the NEED FOR SPEED!!! I mean, Precision!!!

Todd

QUOTE (mad @ Sep 14 2013, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sir, Mission7!

mad
Sir, Mission7 - double and quad picked:

Todd Simpson
Drilling and Killing Soldier!!!! You Multipicking is on a tear!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Double Picking!
2.)Quad Picking!
3.)Technique is Spot On Soldier!! Good right hand, Good left hand, Good synch!

In short Soldier, you just......

!!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep ripping it up Soldier!!!! You are burning through the Missions!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (mad @ Sep 18 2013, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sir, Mission7 - double and quad picked:

mad
Here goes mission8!

Todd Simpson
I like to see you earning it like this Soldier!! You are playing near the edge and that's always a challenge! I think you may be pushing it just a pinch far though as I can hear some extra string noise now and again, and you are missing the odd note here or there. Your left hand position is very good and your right hand as well! If at all possible try these tips and give it one more go.

1.)Try (if possible) to do one take in Classical position (guitar on the left leg)
2.)Try to increase the angle of the neck just a bit. The angle is a bit flat making your hand work overtime. Get the head stock a bit more toward the ceiling.
3.)Slow down just a pinch.
4.)Add DOUBLE PICK and QUAD PICK if at all possible.

You are making great progress Soldier!! Fight On!!!

Todd

QUOTE (mad @ Oct 2 2013, 03:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here goes mission8!

mad
Mission 8 redone@180bpm, Sir..

Todd Simpson
Well played Soldier!!! You continue to knock em down as quick as I can set em up!!!! RELOAD SOLDIER AND PRESS THE FIGHT!!!!!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Double Picking is quite nice and very tight!!!
2.)Quad Picking is also nice and tight!
3.)Right Hand Technique Continues to be very good and improve vid to vid. Very Short strokes, tight pattern, good mute!!!

In short Soldier, you just......

!!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Click to view attachment
mad
Sir, Mission9 ready!

Todd Simpson
This video is private soldier!! You have to change it to unlisted at least smile.gif

QUOTE (mad @ Oct 13 2013, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sir, Mission9 ready!

Todd Simpson
A fine Start here Soldier!! This is a quote from the lesson page

"Play the pattern once per position then move up one fret all the way to the 12th fret. Then play twice per position, then four times per position and move up one fret at a time to the 12th fret. "

Try to play the bit as specified and and even throw in some Double and Quad Picking!! Your ready for the crazy versions Soldier!!!

Sarge

P.S. That is one Killer Shirt you have there!!!

QUOTE (mad @ Oct 13 2013, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sir, Mission9 ready!

mad
Sorry, didn't had the exact mission brief in mind while practicing and final recording..
Here's the full take:

Todd Simpson
Fine playing here Soldier!! This is what I like to see! Good technique, brisk pace, nice!!

Let's Debrief!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)GoodClean Strikes
-Your picking just keeps getting better. Your using just enough force. Not too much not too little.
2.)Double Pick
-Your MultiPicking keeps getting better as well!! Very tight in terms of timing.
3.)Great hand synch
Your right and left hands are synching up nicely!!

You really crushed this one Soldier!!

In short you just.....

!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!

Click to view attachment

I fear these may not be presenting enough of a Challenge but we are in luck!! Your about to hit several that will make your fingers BLEED!!!! Fight on Soldier!!

QUOTE (mad @ Oct 14 2013, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, didn't had the exact mission brief in mind while practicing and final recording..
Here's the full take:

mad
Sir, mission 10.. this one is tough indeed...

Todd Simpson
This one is a tricky one eh? Well played!! Your technique is really solid here!!!

Soldier, you've been really killing these so I think it's time again to push it!!!! Two things to add to this mission.

1.)Precision=Speed
-See how far you can push the metronome while maintaing your splendid technique!!! Give me a pass that is at the very edge of your ability!!

2.)QUADS: You nail the DOUBLE PICK on this, add a QUAD PICK Version to the end!!!

FIGHT ON!!

Todd

QUOTE (mad @ Oct 21 2013, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sir, mission 10.. this one is tough indeed...

mad
Todd Simpson
NICE!!!!!!

This is some FINE playing Soldier!!! You continue to impress me with your technique!! Stable and steady as a Special Forces Sniper!!! Let's debrief!!!

Fine playing here Soldier!! This is what I like to see! Good technique, brisk pace, nice!!

Let's Debrief!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Like a Freaking ROCK on the picking!!!!
-Even handed and smooth!
2.)Double Pick/Quad pick
-Multipicking has been the death of many Proud Soldier and you are nailing it!
3.)Great hand synch
Righ/Left Hand Synch is spot on!!

You are joining the FEW/PROUD group of MERCS who have broken DOUBLE DIGITS in rank. We can count them on one hand Soldier.

In short you just.....

!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (mad @ Nov 1 2013, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.