Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Melodic Madness Guitar Mentoring
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Alex Feather
Alex Feather
Hello! I am very happy you have decided to join my theory mentoring program!
I have a few questions before we will start!
-What are your goals?
-What is your weakness?
-What is your strongest point?
-Your favorite guitar players?

Theory questions (will help me to get a better idea where to start! )

- Harmonize G major scale
- Build A7 chord
- Write ii - V - I chord progression starting with Cmi7
- D mi7 - Bb - Gmi - F What key this chord progression in?

Looking forward to start working with you!
Melodic madness
Hi Alex,
Ok to start I have been messing around with the guitar about 10 years now. A little here a little there with no real direction and it has hurt my progress big time I feel like nothing sticks in my head . I've learned small licks of favorite songs and stuff but I feel lost big time.What I need is someone with knowledge like yourself to put me down that right path.
As for the theory questions I really don't have the answers.
My goals-
To become a good lead guitar player I love scales, modes and all that stuff it just doesn't make sense to me and it drives me nuts. Is that weird or what?
Weakness-
I have no direction' nothing seems to make sense!
strong points-
I have a great disire to be good at the guitar and i feel I can do this
Favorite guitar players-
Eddie Vanhalen, lots of 80's guitar players

one more thing. I don't have much for guitar recording programs (open for suggestions though). I do have a camcorder that I can up load vids to You tube if needed.
Well thanks for your time and I hope you are still up for the challenges.
until next time. Melodic Madness
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 15 2012, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Alex,
Ok to start I have been messing around with the guitar about 10 years now. A little here a little there with no real direction and it has hurt my progress big time I feel like nothing sticks in my head . I've learned small licks of favorite songs and stuff but I feel lost big time.What I need is someone with knowledge like yourself to put me down that right path.
As for the theory questions I really don't have the answers.
My goals-
To become a good lead guitar player I love scales, modes and all that stuff it just doesn't make sense to me and it drives me nuts. Is that weird or what?
Weakness-
I have no direction' nothing seems to make sense!
strong points-
I have a great disire to be good at the guitar and i feel I can do this
Favorite guitar players-
Eddie Vanhalen, lots of 80's guitar players

one more thing. I don't have much for guitar recording programs (open for suggestions though). I do have a camcorder that I can up load vids to You tube if needed.
Well thanks for your time and I hope you are still up for the challenges.
until next time. Melodic Madness

Awesome! I am glad you joined my program! smile.gif Welcome aboard!
You can use camcorder to record takes for the assignments I will be giving you!
I am looking forward to start, but still need you to answer theory questions so I can get a better idea about where to start!

Just in case you missed them here they are again! smile.gif

Theory questions (will help me to get a better idea where to start! )

- Harmonize G major scale
- Build A7 chord
- Write ii - V - I chord progression starting with Cmi7
- D mi7 - Bb - Gmi - F What key this chord progression in?

Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif
Melodic madness
Alex,
I don't know the answers to the theory Questions.
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 16 2012, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex,
I don't know the answers to the theory Questions.

Ok! So lets start from the theory than!
Have you every heard about the circle of fifths?
Melodic madness
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 16 2012, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok! So lets start from the theory than!
Have you every heard about the circle of fifths?

Yes I have. Don't know much about them though.
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 16 2012, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I have. Don't know much about them though.

It is very easy you just have to get the concept! smile.gif
Here is the circle of fifths!
Click to view attachment
This is how you will add sharps and flats to your scales! It call circle of fifths because it goes up in fifths!
We are adding sharps (#) C - G - D - A - E - B - F#
Going down forth adding flats:F - Bb - Eb - Ab - Db - Gb

Here are all the sharps:
F# - C# - G# - D# -A#

Here are all the flats:
Bb - Eb - Ab - Db - Gb - Cb

So if for example we have a D major scale we will have 2 sharps F# and C# Every time a new scale comes up we will be adding one sharp or flat!

Now let me explain the numbers! It's very simple

Each note of the scale will have a number it will make it easier to memorize all the scales/chords and will be able to transpose it to any key!
As an example I will use C major scale

C - I
D - II
E - III
F - IV
G - V
A - VI
B - VII

Let me know if you need any help!
Melodic madness
Hi Alex,
Very excited about this new adventure in guitar playing I'm about to take.Again I would like to thank you for your time and effort with this.
I'm looking more in to the circle of fifths this weekend.
until next time, Later biggrin.gif
Melodic madness
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 18 2012, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Alex,
Very excited about this new adventure in guitar playing I'm about to take.Again I would like to thank you for your time and effort with this.
I'm looking more in to the circle of fifths this weekend.
until next time, Later biggrin.gif
Melodic madness

It is my pleasure!!! I am happy that I can teach you some new things!!!
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif
Also let me know when you are ready for a new assignment!
Melodic madness
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 18 2012, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is my pleasure!!! I am happy that I can teach you some new things!!!
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif
Also let me know when you are ready for a new assignment!

Alex,
I now know how to add sharps and flats to the scales. I looked up other ways of using the circle of fifths and some of it seems a little confusing. mad.gif
Are the sharps and flats all you wanted me to know for now? or did you want me to master the whole concept of the circle.
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 21 2012, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex,
I now know how to add sharps and flats to the scales. I looked up other ways of using the circle of fifths and some of it seems a little confusing. mad.gif
Are the sharps and flats all you wanted me to know for now? or did you want me to master the whole concept of the circle.

For now I would like you to understand the idea! I will be giving you more things to learn as we will move forward! smile.gif
I have created a new assignment for you! smile.gif
Here is a backing track:
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/chord-progression
The chord progression is:
Dmi - Bb - Gmi - F
I would like you to create a solo pretending it is in the key of F
You can use
D minor pentatonic
F major pentatonic
F major scale
D minor scale
Try to be as melodic as possible and let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif
Melodic madness
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 21 2012, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For now I would like you to understand the idea! I will be giving you more things to learn as we will move forward! smile.gif
I have created a new assignment for you! smile.gif
Here is a backing track:
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/chord-progression
The chord progression is:
Dmi - Bb - Gmi - F
I would like you to create a solo pretending it is in the key of F
You can use
D minor pentatonic
F major pentatonic
F major scale
D minor scale
Try to be as melodic as possible and let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif

Hay Alex,
I don't think I am quite capable of producing this solo quite yet. Maybe something a little simpler for now to get me to this point.
You see, this is the stuff I want to be doing I just don't know how to go about it. I understand what the pentatonics and the scales are. I just don't know how to put them in to a solo.
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 22 2012, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hay Alex,
I don't think I am quite capable of producing this solo quite yet. Maybe something a little simpler for now to get me to this point.
You see, this is the stuff I want to be doing I just don't know how to go about it. I understand what the pentatonics and the scales are. I just don't know how to put them in to a solo.

Ok no problem! How about we do that!
I would like you to create a solo using only D minor pentatonic in this shape

Just jam with it for a little bit and try to be as melodic as you can! It might seem hard at first but actually very easy! smile.gif Just have fun and be creative!!!! This way you will learn how to use pentatonics!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!
Melodic madness
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 23 2012, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok no problem! How about we do that!
I would like you to create a solo using only D minor pentatonic in this shape

Just jam with it for a little bit and try to be as melodic as you can! It might seem hard at first but actually very easy! smile.gif Just have fun and be creative!!!! This way you will learn how to use pentatonics!

Alex,
Do u want me to play over th backing track? Or just play a solo by its self useing the D minor shape.
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 24 2012, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex,
Do u want me to play over th backing track? Or just play a solo by its self useing the D minor shape.

I would like you to play over the backing track I gave you! wink.gif
Melodic madness
Hey Alex,
Just to let you know, I'm still working on the D minor solo. having a lot of fun with it. I just need to find time to record you something. It's been pretty busy lately at work but I hope to have something this weekend smile.gif

Later, Melodic madness
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Aug 30 2012, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Alex,
Just to let you know, I'm still working on the D minor solo. having a lot of fun with it. I just need to find time to record you something. It's been pretty busy lately at work but I hope to have something this weekend smile.gif

Later, Melodic madness

Awesome! I am looking forward to hear your take! Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif
Melodic madness
Ok Alex here is my d minor solo. Sorry it took so long. It took me a little while to figure out how to record the vid for you. Not the best but at least you know where I stand as a player, some what. Can't wait for the next assignment I'm fired up now!
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Sep 5 2012, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok Alex here is my d minor solo. Sorry it took so long. It took me a little while to figure out how to record the vid for you. Not the best but at least you know where I stand as a player, some what. Can't wait for the next assignment I'm fired up now!

Wow you did a great job!!! I love the melody and the whole take sounded very nice!!!
I have an advice! When you have a main melody try playing exactly the same thing octave higher! It will help you to develop solo and will get listeners attention right away!!!!
I will post a new assignment and my take in a few hours!!!
Great job!!!
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 6 2012, 06:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow you did a great job!!! I love the melody and the whole take sounded very nice!!!
I have an advice! When you have a main melody try playing exactly the same thing octave higher! It will help you to develop solo and will get listeners attention right away!!!!
I will post a new assignment and my take in a few hours!!!
Great job!!!

Awesome! For the next assignment I would like to add another pentatonic and we will also start using a blues scale
It is exactly the same as a minor pentatonic accept of added bIV in it! That is how you get a cool bluesy sound!
I would like you to use those two blues shapes:

I have recorded a track to give you ideas!
Please continue my solo
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/dminor-solo

Melodic madness
Alex,
What is the purpose of using these two shapes if they have the same notes in them? Does it have to do with positioning of my fingers to make the solo easier to play? The question seems kind of weird but I don't know how else to say it. biggrin.gif
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Sep 13 2012, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex,
What is the purpose of using these two shapes if they have the same notes in them? Does it have to do with positioning of my fingers to make the solo easier to play? The question seems kind of weird but I don't know how else to say it. biggrin.gif

The reason why I gave you those two positions is because 99% of all solos are based on combining two pentatonics together
By understanding each shape and concentrating only on two you are mastering this technique and it will be much easier for you in the future! Also those two shapes are very close to each other and you will be able to hear how to substitute notes with different strings!
I hope that answered your question! smile.gif
Let me know!
Melodic madness
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 13 2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason why I gave you those two positions is because 99% of all solos are based on combining two pentatonics together
By understanding each shape and concentrating only on two you are mastering this technique and it will be much easier for you in the future! Also those two shapes are very close to each other and you will be able to hear how to substitute notes with different strings!
I hope that answered your question! smile.gif
Let me know!

Alex I'm still working on the solo. Just not as much as I would like, do to my work and the last two weekends have been crazy busy. I'll try to get something recorded within the week biggrin.gif
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Sep 22 2012, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex I'm still working on the solo. Just not as much as I would like, do to my work and the last two weekends have been crazy busy. I'll try to get something recorded within the week biggrin.gif

Awesome! I am looking forward to hear your take! smile.gif Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Sep 22 2012, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!
Melodic madness
Alex,
Here is the solo. I feel I should of did better but I have spent such along time on it I feel it is time to move on to the next assignment. Plus no matter what I did the solo sounded like the first solo. Oh well for good or bad here it is.http://youtu.be/QpFSxe9BmT4
Melodic madness
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Oct 11 2012, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex,
Here is the solo. I feel I should of did better but I have spent such along time on it I feel it is time to move on to the next assignment. Plus no matter what I did the solo sounded like the first solo. Oh well for good or bad here it is.http://youtu.be/QpFSxe9BmT4

Alex,
For some reason the video didn't upload to the last post so I'll try this again.
[/youtube]
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Oct 14 2012, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex,
For some reason the video didn't upload to the last post so I'll try this again.
[/youtube]

You did a great job!!! Be careful with bends cause some of them are a little out of pitch!
I like your melody a lot and it sounds very good now let's take it up a notch and try to play the same one octave higher on the second half! This way you will get a better development! You are doing fantastic! In the meantime I will prepare a new assignment for you!
Alex Feather
Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Are you ready for a new challenge? Let me know!
Melodic madness
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 23 2012, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Are you ready for a new challenge? Let me know!

I'm ready Alex bring it on ! Can't wait.
Melodic madness
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Oct 23 2012, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm ready Alex bring it on ! Can't wait.

Hey Alex,
Sorry about the miscommunication on the lesson. I totally did not see the part were you wanted me to play a second part of the solo a octave higher I can't believe I did that, my fault! Only one problem now, I'm a little confused on how to play a octave higher. Can you give me an example please.
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Oct 25 2012, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Alex,
Sorry about the miscommunication on the lesson. I totally did not see the part were you wanted me to play a second part of the solo a octave higher I can't believe I did that, my fault! Only one problem now, I'm a little confused on how to play a octave higher. Can you give me an example please.

It is very simple! All you have to do is to move pentatonic position octave higher!
Here is what I would like you to do:
Use this shape for the first part of your solo (You can also use it after the 12 fret) The same shape!

And this part for the second part: (Assume the low notes are beyond the 12 fret as well)

I hope that makes sense! smile.gif Let me know if not and I will write it out in Guitar Pro
Also I would like you to check out this lesson since you like Van Halen! smile.gif
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Van-Halen-Style-Rhythm/
Maybe we can work on it for a while as well!
Let me know!
Melodic madness
Hey Alex,
Ok, I think I have most of this figured out. If I play the first shape for the solo in the first position and then move it to the 12th fret I will be a octave higher correct? I'm a little confused with the second part though. As for the Van Halen lesson, I'm all for it. Been practicing it for awhile now and will keep you posted on my progress. smile.gif
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Nov 2 2012, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Alex,
Ok, I think I have most of this figured out. If I play the first shape for the solo in the first position and then move it to the 12th fret I will be a octave higher correct? I'm a little confused with the second part though. As for the Van Halen lesson, I'm all for it. Been practicing it for awhile now and will keep you posted on my progress. smile.gif

You are correct about octaves!!! What do you mean about the second part? What is your confusion?
I am glad you like Van Halen lesson if you can do a take of your playing would be great! smile.gif So I can help you out more!
Melodic madness
My confusion with the second part is do I just add the notes on the tenth fret in the second part to the first part (shape) or am I playing notes on the first fret and tenth fret only for the second part. I hope this makes sense. It is sort of hard to explain.
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Nov 4 2012, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My confusion with the second part is do I just add the notes on the tenth fret in the second part to the first part (shape) or am I playing notes on the first fret and tenth fret only for the second part. I hope this makes sense. It is sort of hard to explain.

Since scale generator is not letting me to post after the 12 fret you have to assume that 1st fret is actually 13th does it make sense or would you like me to tab it for you so it is easier to understand?
Melodic madness
So the notes for the second part of the solo are on the 13th and 22nd frets?
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Nov 5 2012, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the notes for the second part of the solo are on the 13th and 22nd frets?

Give me a few hours and I will tab it for you! smile.gif
I got confused myself! LOL
Melodic madness
Sounds good!
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Nov 7 2012, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds good!

So here are the positions I would like you to use:
For the first part of your solo use E minor pentatonic in this position
----------------------------3--5---------------------|
-----------------------3--5--------------------------|
------------------2--4-------------------------------|
-------------2--5------------------------------------|
--------2--5-----------------------------------------|
---3--5----------------------------------------------|

For the second part use this one

-------------------------------------------12--15------|
-----------------------------------12--15--------------|
---------------------------12--14----------------------|
-------------------12--14------------------------------|
-----------12--14--------------------------------------|
---12--15----------------------------------------------|

It is the same pentatonic what is different is octave you are playing it in and the starting note

Here is what octave is in case you would like to know more

Definition: An octave is a musical interval with the distance of:
12 half steps in the chromatic scale.

7 or 8 notes in the diatonic scale.
(An octave consists of 7 unique notes, but spans 8; octo is Latin for “eight.”)

Two notes spaced one octave apart sound similar, despite one being higher in pitch. This is because the higher note’s frequency (its pattern of sound waves) is double the speed of the lower note, but that pattern is the same for both notes - this is the similarity your ear is observing.
And here is the link to a wikipedia page for more information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octave
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif
Melodic madness
Excellent....Thank you Alex. I will get right on this. I'm also working on the Van Halen lesson at the moment. It's been going pretty good so far. Just wish I could find more time in the day to play more biggrin.gif
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Nov 11 2012, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent....Thank you Alex. I will get right on this. I'm also working on the Van Halen lesson at the moment. It's been going pretty good so far. Just wish I could find more time in the day to play more biggrin.gif

Awesome!!! Maybe you can submit Van Halen take to REC!!! That would be great!
Take your time! And let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!
Melodic madness
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Nov 11 2012, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome!!! Maybe you can submit Van Halen take to REC!!! That would be great!
Take your time! And let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

Hey Alex just to let you know I'm still working on the Van Halen lesson and I will post it to Rec. I got it pretty much done. Just having some problems with the harmonic part of it. can't get the notes to ring out like they should every time. They sound kind of flat most of the time unless I hit them just right. I think I just have to practice more on that part and I'lll have it, sorry for the wait.
Alex Feather
QUOTE (Melodic madness @ Dec 9 2012, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Alex just to let you know I'm still working on the Van Halen lesson and I will post it to Rec. I got it pretty much done. Just having some problems with the harmonic part of it. can't get the notes to ring out like they should every time. They sound kind of flat most of the time unless I hit them just right. I think I just have to practice more on that part and I'lll have it, sorry for the wait.

Sounds good! I am looking forward to hear your take! If you want post it here first so I can check it out and make some suggestions if necessary!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.