Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Having Trouble Progressing In Speed/alternate Picking
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Geogaddi
Hi all, I have a question to make sure I've come up with the right solution and am not pissing my time away. My picking hand technique is good, and my fretting hand technique for the following patterns are good

12-13-15 and 11-13-15

for some reason though, I have trouble with 12-14-15, especially when alternating between that pattern and the above two patterns on the same string.

Sorry that this is kind of a stupid question and I have started practicing the 12-14-15 pattern using the pointer ring and pinky by itself and then alternating between that and the 12-13-15 pattern using pointer middle and pinky alternatively. Is this the right path? I'm just confused why I'm so weak here when my speed picking is otherwise pretty decent, I can play the intro to Scarified decently.

So should I continue as I am? Is there a more effective way to practice? Or am I missing something entirely?

EDIT: Just to clarify why I'm confused and frustrated, I thing Muris labels as level 5 without even having to practice any of the parts but I'm having trouble with this one solo he has marked as level 4 because it has the alternating patterns on the same strings.
Ben Higgins
Hi my friend. It's quite a common problem so you're not on your own. Shapes that use the 3rd and 4th together are notorious because it feels like those fingers are not independent of each other.

You're doing the right thing which is 1. Noticing what the problem is and 2. Doing something about it smile.gif

There's not a specific method apart from doing stuff which utilises those fingers.. that shape is one that does so go for it !
Cosmin Lupu
As Ben says, practice and give yourself time mate smile.gif Don't be hard, but instead practice hard and focus on the task at hand.

You can also try the following drill to work on your finger independence:

1) keep your hand parallel to the ground palm facing down in the air
2) bend each finger at 90 degrees, one at a time, without moving the others

See how fast you get biggrin.gif and the best part is, you don't even need a guitar to do it wink.gif

Cosmin
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 22 2012, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As Ben says, practice and give yourself time mate smile.gif Don't be hard, but instead practice hard and focus on the task at hand.

You can also try the following drill to work on your finger independence:

1) keep your hand parallel to the ground palm facing down in the air
2) bend each finger at 90 degrees, one at a time, without moving the others

See how fast you get biggrin.gif and the best part is, you don't even need a guitar to do it wink.gif

Cosmin

I've never heard of that one before ! Is this one of your samurai drills ? biggrin.gif
PosterBoy
Join Ben's Video chats, he regularly drills licks involving these posititions. It really drives home the discipline needed when working on the mechanics of a technique
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 23 2012, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never heard of that one before ! Is this one of your samurai drills ? biggrin.gif

laugh.gif No man, I just stripped down one of Guthrie's ideas I heard him tell: While on the bus for instance, he would create chromatic shapes with his left hand fingers and slowly tap them on anything at hand. In that way, he developed his finger independence even when he did not play/ practice tongue.gif
Geogaddi
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice and it's good to hear that shapes involving the 3rd and 4th finger are a bit tough. Thanks for the exercise idea too Cosmin, I know what I'll be doing at work tomorrow cool.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Geogaddi @ Sep 24 2012, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice and it's good to hear that shapes involving the 3rd and 4th finger are a bit tough. Thanks for the exercise idea too Cosmin, I know what I'll be doing at work tomorrow cool.gif

biggrin.gif Be careful not to freak people out! It happens! At least it happened to me laugh.gif laugh.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 24 2012, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif Be careful not to freak people out! It happens! At least it happened to me laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yeah don't do it with your hands in your pockets...
Cosmin Lupu
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Todd Simpson
Todd here wink.gif I'd say JOIN MY BOOTCAMP! And start working through process. It's built around Alternate Picking. If you can make it to RANK 10, you'll have made huge strides. Also join every video chat you can!

Todd

QUOTE (Geogaddi @ Sep 22 2012, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all, I have a question to make sure I've come up with the right solution and am not pissing my time away. My picking hand technique is good, and my fretting hand technique for the following patterns are good

12-13-15 and 11-13-15

for some reason though, I have trouble with 12-14-15, especially when alternating between that pattern and the above two patterns on the same string.

Sorry that this is kind of a stupid question and I have started practicing the 12-14-15 pattern using the pointer ring and pinky by itself and then alternating between that and the 12-13-15 pattern using pointer middle and pinky alternatively. Is this the right path? I'm just confused why I'm so weak here when my speed picking is otherwise pretty decent, I can play the intro to Scarified decently.

So should I continue as I am? Is there a more effective way to practice? Or am I missing something entirely?

EDIT: Just to clarify why I'm confused and frustrated, I thing Muris labels as level 5 without even having to practice any of the parts but I'm having trouble with this one solo he has marked as level 4 because it has the alternating patterns on the same strings.

Cosmin Lupu
Todd's chat is always a good idea! biggrin.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 25 2012, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Todd here wink.gif I'd say JOIN MY BOOTCAMP!

Absolutely ! Joining GMC and wanting to improve alternate picking but NOT joining up with Todd Simpson is like going to the best restaurant in Paris and not eating any food ! smile.gif

Do it !!! cool.gif
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 26 2012, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Absolutely ! Joining GMC and wanting to improve alternate picking but NOT joining up with Todd Simpson is like going to the best restaurant in Paris and not eating any food ! smile.gif

Do it !!! cool.gif

Thanks! smile.gif Join the BOOTCAMP AND EAT FRENCH!!!!!!!
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 27 2012, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks! smile.gif Join the BOOTCAMP AND EAT FRENCH!!!!!!!

SAUCISSON !!! biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 27 2012, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SAUCISSON !!! biggrin.gif

Ou Souflee biggrin.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 27 2012, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ou Souflee biggrin.gif

Cafe au Lait, sil vous plait !! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.