Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guitar Challenge!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Todd Simpson
Todd Simpson
Along the lines of "BETCHA CAN"T PLAY THIS", here is a VIDEO CHALLENGE. Open to EVERYONE. You don't have to play exactly what I"m doing just try to replicate the technique. It's something we have worked on in Video Chat.

1.)THUMBLESS!!!: Notice the left thumb is not touching the neck.

2.)NO PICK!!!!!: NO PICKING at all. Hammer on / Pull Of only.

3.)STRING TRAVERSE: Across every string.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!

PRIZE:

Anyone that pulls off a good entry will get a CUSTOM MISSION BADGE from the Bootcamp!!!!!

vonhotch
Challenge accepted!
Ben Higgins
Perfect articulation T-Meister ! cool.gif
vonhotch
korblitz
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 27 2012, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+1
DeGroot
I've been practicing legato quite a bit lately... but I haven't tried it like this. Great drill!

Ben Higgins
Who needs the thumb anyway ? biggrin.gif
korblitz
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 28 2012, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who needs the thumb anyway ? biggrin.gif

I do. But oh well...
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (korblitz @ Oct 28 2012, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do. But oh well...

Click to view attachment
AK Rich
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 26 2012, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Along the lines of "BETCHA CAN"T PLAY THIS", here is a VIDEO CHALLENGE. Open to EVERYONE. You don't have to play exactly what I"m doing just try to replicate the technique. It's something we have worked on in Video Chat.

1.)THUMBLESS!!!: Notice the left thumb is not touching the neck.

2.)NO PICK!!!!!: NO PICKING at all. Hammer on / Pull Of only.

3.)STRING TRAVERSE: Across every string.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!

PRIZE:

Anyone that pulls off a good entry will get a CUSTOM MISSION BADGE from the Bootcamp!!!!!

Cool so we can do any pattern we wish? smile.gif
Todd Simpson
Thanks man! smile.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 27 2012, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perfect articulation T-Meister ! cool.gif

Thumblessness is next to Cleanliness!

QUOTE (korblitz @ Oct 28 2012, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do. But oh well...

Sure! The MISSION is just to use all the strings (demonstrate traverse), and avoid the thumb and use left fingers only (demonstrating finger control/articulation) . Go for it!

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 28 2012, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool so we can do any pattern we wish? smile.gif

Well played Soldier! You are the FIRST recipient of our SPECIAL OPS commendation on your mission badge! (The Bullseye, Representing Pure Precision/Articulation)

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 27 2012, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Played Soldier! And I must say that is one FINE looking Weapon you have there! smile.gif I think it may have even come from my own ARMORY!

Really nice finger control and use of "Back and Forth" Technique as well!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 28 2012, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been practicing legato quite a bit lately... but I haven't tried it like this. Great drill!

DeGroot
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 29 2012, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well Played Soldier! And I must say that is one FINE looking Weapon you have there! smile.gif I think it may have even come from my own ARMORY!

Really nice finger control and use of "Back and Forth" Technique as well!

Thanks! smile.gif It was the obvious weapon of choice to take on this special op. Hope to see more of your guitar challenges soon!
vonhotch
Thanks. And I agree with Degroot, more challenges would be cool!
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 29 2012, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. And I agree with Degroot, more challenges would be cool!

More challenges on the way Soldier! Congrats on your Badge!

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 29 2012, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks! smile.gif It was the obvious weapon of choice to take on this special op. Hope to see more of your guitar challenges soon!

More SPECIAL MISSIONS in the pipeline!
Todd Simpson
BLACK OPS SPECIAL MISSION 2!!!!!! Almost Complete!

Prepare for BADGE UPGRADES!!!

Click to view attachment
DeGroot
Armed and ready!
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Nov 5 2012, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Armed and ready!

Looking forward to your Mission Vid Soldier! The BLACK OPS CHALLENGE goes up on TERRIFYING TUESDAY!!!!

Todd
Todd Simpson
NEW BLACK OPS CHALLENGE MISSION!!!!!!!!!!!

Betcha Can't Play This Part 2!

*Clean strikes
*Good Speed
*Right/Left Hand Synch!!!!

**P.S. No actual amps were harmed/used in the making of this video smile.gif Emulation/VST Only.
DeGroot
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 6 2012, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NEW BLACK OPS CHALLENGE MISSION!!!!!!!!!!!

Betcha Can't Play This Part 2!

*Clean strikes
*Good Speed
*Right/Left Hand Synch!!!!

**P.S. No actual amps were harmed/used in the making of this video smile.gif Emulation/VST Only.

Awesome cool.gif

Working on challenge and will report to Mission HQ soon!
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Nov 6 2012, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome cool.gif

Working on challenge and will report to Mission HQ soon!

Looking forward to it Soldier! It doesn't have to be note for not, just try to capture the overall vibe of the lick. Do try to get as close as is workable. This one is a bit over the line in to CRAZY TOWN!!

Todd
DeGroot
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 7 2012, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking forward to it Soldier! It doesn't have to be note for not, just try to capture the overall vibe of the lick. Do try to get as close as is workable. This one is a bit over the line in to CRAZY TOWN!!

Todd

Reporting to mission control. I ended up using your formula here. Went for fastest speed I could do with clean strikes before detecting some slur (mostly with middle and ring finger).

Don't mind the rug rat scampering through. She did not pay notice to the heavy artillery and jeopardize the mission at hand. biggrin.gif

Todd Simpson
Nicely done Soldier! You really NAILED it on this one! I can see the bodies of the slain under your desk! Your enemies cower in fear! The rug rag is on border patrol!!!

BLACK OPS
1,)Blistering Speed
2.)Deadly Strikes
3.)Assassins Touch

You are the ONLY soldier so far to attack this mission. Well done!!!! Here is your

BLACK OPS MISSION BADGE UPGRADE!!!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Nov 7 2012, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reporting to mission control. I ended up using your formula here. Went for fastest speed I could do with clean strikes before detecting some slur (mostly with middle and ring finger).

Don't mind the rug rat scampering through. She did not pay notice to the heavy artillery and jeopardize the mission at hand. biggrin.gif

DeGroot
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 8 2012, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nicely done Soldier! You really NAILED it on this one! I can see the bodies of the slain under your desk! Your enemies cower in fear! The rug rag is on border patrol!!!

BLACK OPS
1,)Blistering Speed
2.)Deadly Strikes
3.)Assassins Touch

You are the ONLY soldier so far to attack this mission. Well done!!!! Here is your

BLACK OPS MISSION BADGE UPGRADE!!!

Thanks for the mission and badge upgrade! smile.gif

Now hopefully others aren't trapped behind enemy lines and will complete this mission!
Ben Higgins
I am loving the vibe of this thread.. well done T-Master !!

And great playing, guys !
mroberts70
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 28 2012, 05:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice DeGroot!

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Nov 7 2012, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HA, the rug rat scampering by only means that you have achieved victory in a greater challenge my friend!
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Nov 8 2012, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HA, the rug rat scampering by only means that you have achieved victory in a greater challenge my friend!

If we didn't know any better we could almost say it looks like she's making a mad dash to unplug DG from the mains.. laugh.gif
DeGroot
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Nov 8 2012, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice DeGroot!

I didn't know it at the time but she was the hero by warding off the enemy. Usually its the other way around, like when she is running in my direction I have to ABORT! biggrin.gif

Thanks dudes. Now we need more troops on board so that these challenges keep rolling. They are fun to do! wink.gif

vonhotch
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Nov 8 2012, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't know it at the time but she was the hero by warding off the enemy. Usually its the other way around, like when she is running in my direction I have to ABORT! biggrin.gif

Thanks dudes. Now we need more troops on board so that these challenges keep rolling. They are fun to do! wink.gif

Nice job DeGroot! These are fun! I have been working on this too, it's hard to record during the week. Hopefully I will join you on the battlefield soon!
vonhotch
Here is my best attempt, I was tripping all over myself on this one.

Todd Simpson
well fought Soldier! You have good precision here! I see the BLOOD ON THE FRETBOARD!!! I would say releoad and see if you can put just a little more speed on this lick and give it one more shot!!!!

Todd

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Nov 11 2012, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is my best attempt, I was tripping all over myself on this one.

Thanks smile.gif The soldiers are laying down the law and the pain!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 8 2012, 05:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am loving the vibe of this thread.. well done T-Master !!

And great playing, guys !

Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 13 2012, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks smile.gif The soldiers are laying down the law and the pain!!!!!!!

I seriously think that within a couple of weeks you guys will be ready to invade a small country tongue.gif
Todd Simpson
That's our plan! Global Guitar Takeover!!!!!!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 13 2012, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seriously think that within a couple of weeks you guys will be ready to invade a small country tongue.gif

Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 13 2012, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's our plan! Global Guitar Takeover!!!!!!

Sounds good to me !! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.