Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blacker Than Black Collab
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Ben Higgins
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Ben Higgins
Warriors of the Axe ! I thought it time to bring you a more intense, extreme track. So without further ado I present my latest audio collab...

BLACKER THAN BLACK

Click to view attachment

I was inspired by Todd's Black Metal documentary thread. I wanted to get something with icy chords and blastbeats happening. It's bit of a change to the kind of thing you guys know me for.. wink.gif

The first 'riff' is basically centred around D Minor and alternates between G# (which is the Tritone, flat 5th etc) and D. It hits the G# and D a2 time before resolving from G# to A. That would essentially mean that it resolves from the flat 5th to the perfect 5th.

So this can give us mainly a minor sound. I would use D Minor, D Minor Pentatonic.. and just emphasise the G# (flat 5th) every now and then. Or try D Phrygian Dominant.. or even Harmonic Minor.. see what gives you an evil sound !

The next riff use Em to Fm with an open E root note as a pedal tone between the chords. The F would give us a minor 2nd suggesting modes like Phrygian, Phrygian Dominant.. but also try the normal E Minor scale too smile.gif

I know it's a fast track but don't worry about your skills, I want this to be open to everyone.

Why not totally go against the grain and put some slow, bluesy licks over it ?! laugh.gif

It's an audio collab only so mp3's or wavs will do just fine !

Deadline is Wednesday 28th November !
VilleFIN
You know I'm in wink.gif

Thank God this isn't vid collab. Otherwise our friend Christian might get too serious with filming.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 15 2012, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know I'm in wink.gif

Thank God this isn't vid collab. Otherwise our friend Christian might get too serious with filming.

Oh my... that made me give the biggest laugh I've had in a while - thank you !! biggrin.gif

Good to know you're in.. I thought you might like this cool.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
This backing is killer!! Great job Ben! smile.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 15 2012, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This backing is killer!! Great job Ben! smile.gif

Thanks man, thought I'd try something different ! smile.gif
Todd Simpson
NIIIIIIICCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Who could say no to this collab? Pure Blackened Metal Perfection, I"M IN!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 15 2012, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Warriors of the Axe ! I thought it time to bring you a more intense, extreme track. So without further ado I present my latest audio collab...

BLACKER THAN BLACK

Click to view attachment

I was inspired by Todd's Black Metal documentary thread. I wanted to get something with icy chords and blastbeats happening. It's bit of a change to the kind of thing you guys know me for.. wink.gif

The first 'riff' is basically centred around D Minor and alternates between G# (which is the Tritone, flat 5th etc) and D. It hits the G# and D a2 time before resolving from G# to A. That would essentially mean that it resolves from the flat 5th to the perfect 5th.

So this can give us mainly a minor sound. I would use D Minor, D Minor Pentatonic.. and just emphasise the G# (flat 5th) every now and then. Or try D Phrygian Dominant.. or even Harmonic Minor.. see what gives you an evil sound !

The next riff use Em to Fm with an open E root note as a pedal tone between the chords. The F would give us a minor 2nd suggesting modes like Phrygian, Phrygian Dominant.. but also try the normal E Minor scale too smile.gif

I know it's a fast track but don't worry about your skills, I want this to be open to everyone.

Why not totally go against the grain and put some slow, bluesy licks over it ?! laugh.gif

Christophe
Hell yeah ! I just know this style like my pocket. Those chords progression are just the same in Dimmu Borgir songs.

I'm in of course smile.gif
Grace
Are girls even allowed here??? laugh.gif I think I might like to give this a try......smile.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Grace @ Nov 16 2012, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are girls even allowed here??? laugh.gif I think I might like to give this a try......smile.gif

Of course !! biggrin.gif

Everybody's welcome !! cool.gif
VilleFIN
Tempo is 200 bpm right ?

smile.gif
bleez
cool backing, it nips along at a fair old speed huh.gif After watching that black metal documentary Im all satanic-ey so I wouldnt mind giving this a go.
I tried to do the spiders collab but eveything I came up with sucked!
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 16 2012, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tempo is 200 bpm right ?

smile.gif

Yeah man, you got it !! cool.gif

The magic 200

QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 16 2012, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool backing, it nips along at a fair old speed huh.gif After watching that black metal documentary Im all satanic-ey so I wouldnt mind giving this a go.

Yeah it's weird how that all happened to you, Todd and myself !! laugh.gif
Gitarrero
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 15 2012, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know I'm in wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Dude, you promised not to show my picture to everyone!

I'm really sad this isn't a video collab...which doesn't stop me from shooting a video anyway laugh.gif

btw, killer backing track Ben!
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Nov 16 2012, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, you promised not to show my picture to everyone!

I'm really sad this isn't a video collab...which doesn't stop me from shooting a video anyway laugh.gif

btw, killer backing track Ben!

Yessss.. and Ze German is in !!!! biggrin.gif

Btw, 2 video collabs back to back ?? I think that would kill me !!! tongue.gif
Slavenko Erazer
Here's my take, i played on first ball , didn't take any chances , to maintain true Norwegian black metal spirit !!
HungryForHeaven
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 16 2012, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my take, i played on first ball , didn't take any chances , to maintain true Norwegian black metal spirit !!

This should be worth some kind of donut.
Dieterle
Hey you Guys and you Girl are real crazy !

I must try that out too even if i dont know yet what to do huh.gif tongue.gif

Dieter
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 16 2012, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh man that is totally NECRO !!

I'm starting to think we should make a mini album cool.gif
Dieterle
Ok here a little record !

Dieter

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Slavenko Erazer
Mini album would sound totally mutilated.. can't wait for another piece of brutality.. \,,,/_
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Nov 16 2012, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This should be worth some kind of donut.

A Black Donut... or maybe something more like this..

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 16 2012, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah, D-Killer !! cool.gif

Your first Black Metal solo !! biggrin.gif
Todd Simpson
Created a new OVERLOUD TH1 patch with an old school sound and used some of vintage blackened chops which focus much more on vibe/atmosphere than technical precision. It's primitive, but that's what Black Metal is all about smile.gif We are going to go through these techniques in this SATURDAYS VIDEO CHAT SESSION so BEN!! CAN I USE YOUR SPIFF TRACK THIS WEEKEND IN MY LESSON?

YOU RAAAAAAAWWWWWWWKKKKKKKK (Growl/grunt/argghh)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

http://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/todd-blackened-solo-wbt-ben

Here is the patch just in case!
Click to view attachment

***BEN!!! WHAT ABOUT MAKING THIS IN TO A FULL TRACK?******
Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 15 2012, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BLACKER THAN BLACK

Click to view attachment

VilleFIN
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 17 2012, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Click to view attachment

Whadda 'bout black sausage laugh.gif

Slavenko Erazer
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 17 2012, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Created a new OVERLOUD TH1 patch with an old school sound and used some of vintage blackened chops which focus much more on vibe/atmosphere than technical precision. It's primitive, but that's what Black Metal is all about smile.gif We are going to go through these techniques in this SATURDAYS VIDEO CHAT SESSION so BEN!! CAN I USE YOUR SPIFF TRACK THIS WEEKEND IN MY LESSON?

***BEN!!! WHAT ABOUT MAKING THIS IN TO A FULL TRACK?******
Todd

Todd u drilled this one , like with Black & Decker Power Driller

Yeah, FFULL track would be awesome!!!
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 17 2012, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Todd this rocks ! I was hoping for guitar insanity and you didn't disappoint !! cool.gif

Dude, you can use any of my riffs anytime !! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 17 2012, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whadda 'bout black sausage laugh.gif

That is black sausage that I posted, just a complete one that hasn't been chopped into biggrin.gif

It's funny because we call it Black Pudding in England smile.gif
Slavenko Erazer
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 16 2012, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Click to view attachment

Oh yeah, D-Killer !! cool.gif

Your first Black Metal solo !! biggrin.gif

Yakk, that looks ugly... at first i thought it's a dog poop mellow.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 17 2012, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yakk, that looks ugly... at first i thought it's a dog poop mellow.gif

I'd be worried about the dog if it produced that !!! laugh.gif

"What's this dog been eating ? Car tyres ??" laugh.gif
Todd Simpson
Glad you dig it! wink.gif I'm going to teach those chops in todays SATURDAY METAL MELTDOWN. They are a tad nuts, but wads of fun smile.gif Great collab dude, and I"m way serious that we should make this in to a full tune!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 17 2012, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Todd this rocks ! I was hoping for guitar insanity and you didn't disappoint !! cool.gif

Dude, you can use any of my riffs anytime !! biggrin.gif

Thanks man wink.gif The drill analogy is really dead on!!! The right hand technique I'm using is very "Drill Like", mechanical/repetitive/forceful and gives that spiff aggressive sound. The pioneers in the genre have to be credited for creating these approaches that so many (including me) have stolen/borrowed.

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 17 2012, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Todd u drilled this one , like with Black & Decker Power Driller

Yeah, FFULL track would be awesome!!!

The Uncreator
Dropboxed you my stuff you asked for wink.gif
Slavenko Erazer
Huh, Todd didn't manage to recruit more people in this Black metal vegan chef collab!!
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 19 2012, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huh, Todd didn't manage to recruit more people in this Black metal vegan chef collab!!

Only a few can withstand the intensity !!! cool.gif
Saddlefall
Even though I like black metal, I', totally stumped on this one, can't seem to come up with something good. I just end up picking the strings like crazy and it sounds crap cause I can't shred, lol tongue.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Saddlefall @ Nov 19 2012, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even though I like black metal, I', totally stumped on this one, can't seem to come up with something good. I just end up picking the strings like crazy and it sounds crap cause I can't shred, lol tongue.gif

Hey dude, just because the backing is typical fast BM, doesn't mean the licks have to be. I often choose to do a total contrast with what the backing is doing. If the backing is fast, go slower, hold some notes for ages.. a bit like what Chris Poland did in Megadeth on the super fast tracks.. he'd hold those high bends for ages and then play a little flurry of something.

Go for melody.. it's less of a headache and easier to get a better solo !! smile.gif

I've heard what you can play so no excuses !!! Are you a NINJA or a NANCY BOY ?? cool.gif
VilleFIN
Heyey Ben

I have these notes a# b c g d# for the 2nd part. Do they "fit" blink.gif
I half bend to c then release to b and pull of to a#
Slavenko Erazer
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 20 2012, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heyey Ben

Man, have you listened to Black Metal at all? tongue.gif
Every note fits , if it's nice incorporated into atmosphere wink.gif
VilleFIN
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 20 2012, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, have you listened to Black Metal at all? tongue.gif
Every note fits , if it's nice incorporated into atmosphere wink.gif

Allright !! wink.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 20 2012, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heyey Ben

Yeah, just go for it man ! smile.gif
llibach
Ain't really into black metal but thought I'd have a stab at this one. So corpse paint and studs on.
http://soundcloud.com/llibach/blacker-full
http://soundcloud.com/llibach/blacker-no-backing
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 20 2012, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hell yeah, diggin' this ! smile.gif

This is what I meant when I said that the solo doesn't have to reflect the speed of the backing track. Just because the backing is fast, the solo doesn't have to be. In fact, a contrast is usually better to add melody to the extreme nature of the track ! Great work V ! cool.gif

QUOTE (llibach @ Nov 20 2012, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ain't really into black metal but thought I'd have a stab at this one. So corpse paint and studs on.

Nice work L !! Did you feel the icy blasts of the Norwegian landscape as you sculpted out your caustic licks ?? cool.gif

Great stuff !
VilleFIN
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 21 2012, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hell yeah, diggin' this ! smile.gif

Great wink.gif
Todd Simpson
Now your getting it!!!! It's Black Metal so the notes are actually less crucial than the overall "Vibe" of Dark/Heavy/Aggressive/Bit Nuts. So notes that are dissonant and out of key actually work better in many cases smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 20 2012, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spiff! You really nailed the vibe!

Todd

QUOTE (llibach @ Nov 20 2012, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

llibach
[
Nice work L !! Did you feel the icy blasts of the Norwegian landscape as you sculpted out your caustic licks ?? cool.gif

Great stuff !
[/quote]
You psychic or something Ben. That's actually what did happen. On my delivery rounds yesterday I was going through a pass in the Ogwen valley and it's been raining heavy here the past few days. Stopped in a lay by jumped over the wall to look at a water fall and imediately got vibes of Norway. I knew then I had to have a go at the collab, check out the photo I took on my phone.
Click to view attachment
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (llibach @ Nov 21 2012, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You psychic or something Ben. That's actually what did happen. On my delivery rounds yesterday I was going through a pass in the Ogwen valley and it's been raining heavy here the past few days. Stopped in a lay by jumped over the wall to look at a water fall and imediately got vibes of Norway. I knew then I had to have a go at the collab, check out the photo I took on my phone.
Click to view attachment

Oh that is just stunning !! Wales is just beautiful smile.gif
bleez
I may need some new picks now huh.gif

With backing:
http://soundcloud.com/bleez666/bleez-blacker-wb

without backing:
http://soundcloud.com/bleez666/bleez-blacker-nb

\m/

Patrik Berg
Here is my take on it, sorry about eq-ing the original a bit with the master edit, hope you don't mind Ben, I can redo it without post eq if you prefer.
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 22 2012, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With backing:

without backing:

\m/

Man that is beautiful, which is a very un-black metal word !! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Nov 23 2012, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is my take on it, sorry about eq-ing the original a bit with the master edit, hope you don't mind Ben, I can redo it without post eq if you prefer.

That sounds fantastic, Patrik.. no, I don't mind what you did with EQ at all smile.gif

Nice work !!!
Slavenko Erazer
Cool, I see This Collab's Turning from Black metal into Technical Death Metal biggrin.gif
ElHombre
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 22 2012, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With backing:

without backing:

\m/

Thas was pure evil smile.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 23 2012, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man that is beautiful, which is a very un-black metal word !! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Nov 23 2012, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thas was pure evil smile.gif

ohmy.gif wow! thank you guys, that's cheered me up no end smile.gif
beautiful and evil.... I like it cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.