Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orange Tiny Terror Review!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Todd Simpson
Here is the first of my ORANGE TINY TERROR JIM ROOT EDITION videos that I'm working on. The Video is unliested and not released yet, but you guys get a preview!!

Blister
Great review Todd. I've been waiting on your review of this little....oh...excuse me...uh...Tiny Terror tongue.gif . There is something about those cool looking Tiny orange amps that seem to have so much punch. smile.gif
vonhotch
Sweet vid man! I'm gonna live vicariously through your video. I really want an orange amp someday. And did I actually see you turn the gain DOWN at one point! ohmy.gif
Grace
Oh man this makes me so proud you're one of my awesome instructors!! biggrin.gif
Andre Nieri
It sounds awesome, Todd.
Have you already compared it to the other Tiny Terrors ? They sound similar ?

Todd Simpson
Glad you like it smile.gif It was really nice of Alex from Orange to let me hold on to this amp for nearly a Month when it was THE ONLY ONE LEFT @ Orange (In Atlanta, they still have some in the U.K.) ! All the others were gone and they were waiting on More.

So we gave it a the full treatment with spiff expensive cameras (Sony EX1, Canon DSLR) and a Mini Crane! The camera is on a small crane so it can zip around. smile.gif

This is a KILLER little amp. It's set on 7 WATTS!! Which is half the 15 watt rating. And it was so loud we had to isolate the cabinet in a sound booth. You couldn't be in the same room with it. It's really impressive and LOUD. I don't know if it would hold up with other loud things, E.G. Drums, but I wouldn't doubt it. I honestly think you could gig with it.

Todd

QUOTE (Blister @ Nov 27 2012, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review Todd. I've been waiting on your review of this little....oh...excuse me...uh...Tiny Terror tongue.gif . There is something about those cool looking Tiny orange amps that seem to have so much punch. smile.gif

I"ve played them all and they are all pretty darn great. They all do sound similar IMHO. They all sound like an Orange. smile.gif The JIM ROOT SPECIAL EDITION sounds a bit higher gain since it uses the same preamp magic that the bigger Orange RockerVerb Head uses (According to the Orange Rep) So It's a miniaturized version of their full on, crazy gain head.

Also, the JIM ROOT has a Sweepable Mid EQ which the Terror and Dark Terror do not have. It's the sweepable mid that lets you dial in that DEEEEEP CHUG.

We paired it with a MESA cab and it was PERFECT. The Orange heads are so monster that they simply overwhelm standard cabs IMHO. I paired it with a RANDALL cab and it just sounded like crap to me. Same thing with a Marshall cab. The only cabs that seem to do it justice, are the orange cabs and the mesa. Most other cabs can't seem to deal with the massive amount of low end/bass information. Not gracefully at least.

Todd

QUOTE (Andre Nieri @ Nov 27 2012, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounds awesome, Todd.
Have you already compared it to the other Tiny Terrors ? They sound similar ?

Gabriel Leopardi
Excellent video mate!! I used to think that Orange was just for vintage rock styles until I saw Down and Stonesour breaking walls with these ones... biggrin.gif
Todd Simpson
Not as proud as I am to have the AMAZING GRACE as one of my Studetns!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Grace @ Nov 27 2012, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh man this makes me so proud you're one of my awesome instructors!! biggrin.gif

Wads of folks use ORANGE amps that anything but "Vintage" smile.gif Tons of new bands are using these heads. They really do LOUD and MEAN very well smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 28 2012, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent video mate!! I used to think that Orange was just for vintage rock styles until I saw Down and Stonesour breaking walls with these ones... biggrin.gif

Here is the first of my ORANGE TINY TERROR JIM ROOT EDITION videos that I'm working on. The Video is unliested and not released yet, but you guys get a preview!!

Alex Feather
Nice review!!!! Actually I have never tried Orange I have no idea why but I guess they are not as popular as Marshall or fender I really like the sound and review is just awesome!! Makes me wanna go and buy one!!!!:)
Todd Simpson
Thanks man smile.gif Orange amps just RAWK!!! I wish I could have kept this one but it was just a loaner for the review. Maybe I"ll get lucky and they will like it enough to send me one smile.gif Watching the vid makes me want it back!!

Todd

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Nov 29 2012, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice review!!!! Actually I have never tried Orange I have no idea why but I guess they are not as popular as Marshall or fender I really like the sound and review is just awesome!! Makes me wanna go and buy one!!!!:)

Alex Feather
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 30 2012, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks man smile.gif Orange amps just RAWK!!! I wish I could have kept this one but it was just a loaner for the review. Maybe I"ll get lucky and they will like it enough to send me one smile.gif Watching the vid makes me want it back!!

Todd

Oh really? How did you get a review loaner? Just went to the factory and asked for it?
AK Rich
Awesome review Todd thanks man! cool.gif That little amp definately sounds beastly, I was wondering though, Is there any chance you can get your hands on one of the Rockerverb MKII 2x12 combo amps to demo and review?

http://www.orangeamps.com/products/guitar-...kii-2x12-combo/
Todd Simpson
Good Question! I'd love to. I"ll ask the local Orange rep here. He is the one who let me borrow the Terror. He's a great so I"m hoping yes!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 30 2012, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome review Todd thanks man! cool.gif That little amp definately sounds beastly, I was wondering though, Is there any chance you can get your hands on one of the Rockerverb MKII 2x12 combo amps to demo and review?

Yes Really! How cool is that eh? I contacted Alex @ Orange Amps here in Atlanta. The national distribution center is right here. And he was very cool. I went down there with a buddy and and Alex showed us around and was very cool. He then let me borrow the last Jim Root Terror in the southeast united states. Which was also very nice smile.gif

He is a GREAT guy and I hope to work with him again on more reviews. GMC will always get the EXCLUSIVE preview of any review I do.

Todd

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Nov 29 2012, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh really? How did you get a review loaner? Just went to the factory and asked for it?

Todd Simpson
GREAT NEWS!!! Heard back from the guys at Orange and it looks like I'm going to be able to get hold of a MKII Rockerverb for a video review and of course GMC will get the EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW!!! Thanks for suggesting this amp!

This is the same amp the the guitarist for PRIMUS is using on tour. He combines them with a terror head and cab.

Todd

Click to view attachment

AK Rich
Oh man that great news! Thanks Todd you are the man! I can hardly wait cool.gif
Todd Simpson
I"m STOKED!!!! I've heard great things about these amps. It's a regular combo sized 2x12 but punches well above it's weight. if the terror is any indication, it will melt walls. We had to keep the terror on 7 watts (switchable down from 15) cause it kept eating through the iso booth and bleeding in to the vocal mic.

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Dec 1 2012, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh man that great news! Thanks Todd you are the man! I can hardly wait cool.gif

---

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 30 2012, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ItSME3
great review
Todd Simpson
Thanks man smile.gif This is the first of a series I"m doing on this little amp. Got another playthrough vid coming!

QUOTE (ItSME3 @ Dec 12 2012, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great review

Patrik Berg
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 14 2012, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks man smile.gif This is the first of a series I"m doing on this little amp. Got another playthrough vid coming!

If its anywhere near as good as your tiny terror review it will be excellent.
Todd Simpson
Hopefully it will be even better! smile.gif

QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Dec 14 2012, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully it will be even better! smile.gif

QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Dec 14 2012, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

fluff191
Great video Todd!
maharzan
Sweet!
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (fluff191 @ Dec 25 2012, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great video Todd!

Thanks man! More TERROR vids to come in 2013 smile.gif Alex from Orange Amps was really cool and let me hang on to it long enough to shoot several sessions.

QUOTE (maharzan @ Dec 26 2012, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sweet!

It's a really killer little amp! Well worth the price of admission.
AK Rich
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 30 2012, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GREAT NEWS!!! Heard back from the guys at Orange and it looks like I'm going to be able to get hold of a MKII Rockerverb for a video review and of course GMC will get the EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW!!! Thanks for suggesting this amp!

This is the same amp the the guitarist for PRIMUS is using on tour. He combines them with a terror head and cab.

Todd

Click to view attachment

Hey Todd! Any updates as to when we can expect a review of the MK II Rockerverb?
Todd Simpson
It's still part of the plan but I"ve got to find time to edit the other two vids from the shoots for the Terror Head before booking another shoot so it may be a bit. Sorry to keep you waiting sad.gif Hopefully sooner than later!

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 6 2013, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Todd! Any updates as to when we can expect a review of the MK II Rockerverb?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.