Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mary Did You Know (heavy)
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
thefireball
Hey guys! I've posted this on facebook and I have received great feedback so far! smile.gif I even had people on YouTube asking me to do a tutorial. Sounds like I have my fun work cut out for me. I followed my heart on this one, starting with the climax and building around it.

Hope you like this one too! First time to cover this song. I am going to play it for the family gathering this Saturday. wink.gif

ConnorGilks
Sounds great man! Really excellent! I will mention though I think the guitar at the beginning was too loud compared to the rest of the song, and when the drums/rhythm guitars kicked in it was less climactic because they were so much quieter than your lead guitar.

Anyways, the arrangement was great and you did a great job with everything. Very impressive man! Merry Christmas smile.gif
SirJamsalot
RAD!
thefireball
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Dec 27 2012, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds great man! Really excellent! I will mention though I think the guitar at the beginning was too loud compared to the rest of the song, and when the drums/rhythm guitars kicked in it was less climactic because they were so much quieter than your lead guitar.

Anyways, the arrangement was great and you did a great job with everything. Very impressive man! Merry Christmas smile.gif

Thanks. smile.gif I actually purposely did that because I am playing for a family gathering. I didn't want to scare them. biggrin.gif I wanted to ease them into it. I originally had it like you were talking about.

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Dec 27 2012, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RAD!

Thank you. smile.gif
ConnorGilks
Good call biggrin.gif
thefireball
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Dec 27 2012, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good call biggrin.gif

After all, we have some older people that will be in the gathering. biggrin.gif I had to hold back my METAL side! tongue.gif

It'd be cool if one year I did an 8-string version of a Christmas song - if I ever get an 8. biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Brandon! Young man! I am so proud! You have developed a great touch!! biggrin.gif I love what you did and I say keep going up! Looking forward to listening to your following musical creations smile.gif
thefireball
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 28 2012, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brandon! Young man! I am so proud! You have developed a great touch!! biggrin.gif I love what you did and I say keep going up! Looking forward to listening to your following musical creations smile.gif

Thanks, Cosmin. smile.gif It means a lot.
Gabriel Leopardi
This composition is beautiful mate! I enjoyed this one a lot!
Great job!!! smile.gif
Todd Simpson
Your production and playing has really come a long way! This is really well played and well recorded/produced. I can remember before you got your studio monitors and you got some impressive tones even then, but now it's even better!

Todd

QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 27 2012, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys! I've posted this on facebook and I have received great feedback so far! smile.gif I even had people on YouTube asking me to do a tutorial. Sounds like I have my fun work cut out for me. I followed my heart on this one, starting with the climax and building around it.

Hope you like this one too! First time to cover this song. I am going to play it for the family gathering this Saturday. wink.gif

thefireball
Thanks Gab and Todd! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
And the touch ... You only get that from your hands smile.gif Regardless of what gear you have - I think this is a major plus in your overall skill as a musician/ guitarist!
thefireball
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 29 2012, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the touch ... You only get that from your hands smile.gif Regardless of what gear you have - I think this is a major plus in your overall skill as a musician/ guitarist!

happy.gif Glad you like my touch!
Blister
Hey Brandon! Nice job! smile.gif

I saw your post on facebook before Christmas but didn't have time to watch it (I'm in retail). I love the ballad part in keeping with the original lyric & melody & then transitioning it into the heavier solo.

You are an inspiration, sir! smile.gif

Have you ever had a private instructor?
HungryForHeaven
Good job, man! I totally love the aggressive not-so-wide vibratos in the section starting at 2:35.
thefireball
QUOTE (Blister @ Dec 29 2012, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Brandon! Nice job! smile.gif

I saw your post on facebook before Christmas but didn't have time to watch it (I'm in retail). I love the ballad part in keeping with the original lyric & melody & then transitioning it into the heavier solo.

You are an inspiration, sir! smile.gif

Have you ever had a private instructor?

Thank you, Gary! smile.gif I have never had a private instructor. Just lessons on GMC and YouTube. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Dec 29 2012, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good job, man! I totally love the aggressive not-so-wide vibratos in the section starting at 2:35.

Thanks! I have begun incorporating that into my style.

Attention:

I will be uploading my performance of this song for the family gathering today! I think it went very well. I nailed the fast descending run - which is what I was mainly concerned about. There was over 30 people there. Will post here.
zoom
Well done Fireball! Liked it alot. Great skills on the solo. Loved the backing track also.
thefireball
QUOTE (zoom @ Dec 29 2012, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well done Fireball! Liked it alot. Great skills on the solo. Loved the backing track also.

Thanks ZOOM!
vonhotch
Very cool. I liked it a lot.
Cosmin Lupu
Hehe! Great, Brandon! Looking forward to see the live version! Hope your folks are happy to have such a talented axeman in the family biggrin.gif
thefireball
Thanks again! Family enjoyed my performance. smile.gif Even my great grandmother said she enjoyed my music! ohmy.gif

Cosmin Lupu
oBran! I already pressed the 'Like' button on FB, but hell mate, if Grandma says she likes it.. then it's clear that it's good!
Blister
QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 29 2012, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you, Gary! smile.gif I have never had a private instructor. Just lessons on GMC and YouTube. biggrin.gif

As I figured. You're a fantastic example of what one can do with GMC & some passion for the the guitar! I think it's gonna take me little longer than 3 years, though! smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 30 2012, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks again! Family enjoyed my performance. smile.gif Even my great grandmother said she enjoyed my music! ohmy.gif

Great job on the performance, too. It's one thing to record (& re-record) in your home studio & quite another in front of people (& it doesn't matter whether it's family, club or thousands in an arena - the stress is still there!)
Spock
Excellent Fireball. I am especially impressed with your 3 year progression video and have sent it to quite a few friends. To watch you progress from fumbling basic chords to peeling the meat off the neck in a mater of minutes is truly inspiring!
thefireball
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 31 2012, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oBran! I already pressed the 'Like' button on FB, but hell mate, if Grandma says she likes it.. then it's clear that it's good!

I was surprised she said a word! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Blister @ Dec 31 2012, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I figured. You're a fantastic example of what one can do with GMC & some passion for the the guitar! I think it's gonna take me little longer than 3 years, though! smile.gif
You can do it, Gary!! smile.gif However, my prior knowledge and exposure to piano music and lessons may have helped me as a child.

Great job on the performance, too. It's one thing to record (& re-record) in your home studio & quite another in front of people (& it doesn't matter whether it's family, club or thousands in an arena - the stress is still there!)

Indeed! I was mainly concerned about nailing the fast descending run and whammy bar dive and recover. I was so relieved to nail it - even better than the studio version!

QUOTE (Spock @ Dec 31 2012, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent Fireball. I am especially impressed with your 3 year progression video and have sent it to quite a few friends. To watch you progress from fumbling basic chords to peeling the meat off the neck in a mater of minutes is truly inspiring!

Thanks so much for sharing that video!! I want to be an inspiration to people, because there were times I wanted to give up, but I pressed on. I am doing it. I want people to know it's possible. smile.gif Thanks for the encouragement.

-Brandon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.