Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pirate Video Collab
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Cosmin Lupu
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Cosmin Lupu
Yo ho-ho mateys!! If ye be riffing and bending on the high sees, I'd be glad to welcome thee on a quest for the pirate's gold!

Let's join forces on this one, because as I promised - the Pirate collab is here! biggrin.gif

Bottom line? We all get to dress up as pirates by using patch eyes, hats, fake teeth, wooden legs, hook hands, maybe a parrot? biggrin.gif And jam together on this piratey backing track!

Here are the details:

Time signature: 4/4

Chord progressions: C5 G5 F5 C5 x 2 G5 Bb5 Eb5 G5 Ab5 F5 D5 G5

Scales you can use: C Aeolian, G Phrygian, Ab Lydian, Bb Mixolyian, F Dorian

Material format:

- 1 track containing the solo only (.mp3 or .wav)
- 1 track containing both solo and backing track
- the video in .mp4 format would be ideal

Deadline: February 25th

G# = Ab

A# = Bb

Stay tuned for the next two video chat sessions in which we shall dissect the backing track and discuss what sort of licks and phrases we can use!

Let's rock mateys!

Cosmin
Jouve
That's great. biggrin.gif
But it sure sounds like green day holiday. ohmy.gif
TylerTeeple
Heyyy Cosmin!!! Long time no chat! This sounds cool and I am eager to try out the scales biggrin.gif. If time permits I'd like to participate !
sammetal92
But I have no pirate costume sad.gif Even though I'm a fan of pirates laugh.gif
mroberts70
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 5 2013, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yo ho-ho mateys!! If ye be riffing and bending on the high sees, I'd be glad to welcome thee on a quest for the pirate's gold!

Let's join forces on this one, because as I promised - the Pirate collab is here! biggrin.gif

Bottom line? We all get to dress up as pirates by using patch eyes, hats, fake teeth, wooden legs, hook hands, maybe a parrot? biggrin.gif And jam together on this piratey backing track!

Here are the details:

Time signature: 4/4

Chord progressions: C5 G5 F5 C5 x 2 G5 Bb5 Eb5 G5 Ab5 F5 D5 G5

Scales you can use: C Aeolian, G Phrygian, Ab Lydian, Bb Mixolyian, F Dorian

Material format:

- 1 track containing the solo only (.mp3 or .wav)
- 1 track containing both solo and backing track
- the video in .mp4 format would be ideal

Deadline: February 25th

G# = Ab

A# = Bb

Stay tuned for the next two video chat sessions in which we shall dissect the backing track and discuss what sort of licks and phrases we can use!

Let's rock mateys!

Cosmin

Yaar, sounds a blast. Although ye say "dress up as pirates by using patch eyes, hats, fake teeth, wooden legs, hook hands" like some of us don't do that already??

Interesting fact, my ancestors on me fathers side contains a famous pirate... Bartholomew Roberts, or better known as Black Bart.

It's been told to me that aside from being a pirate, he was also a great romantic gentleman as he landed me great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great,... whew... great, great, great grandmother by using this simple pickup line.......

Pardon me, but would ye mind if I fired me cannon through your porthole?

I don't really know if that's a true story or not.... just telling it like I heard it.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Feb 5 2013, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I have no pirate costume sad.gif Even though I'm a fan of pirates laugh.gif

Yer missin the point Sam me boy.... ye should go and pirate ye a pirate costume...!

Ok, maybe that post was a bit ... overboard?
Gitarrero
Woohoohooooo!!!!

There might be an epic video on the way, Cosmin...don't wanna promise anything though wink.gif
mroberts70
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 5 2013, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woohoohooooo!!!!

There might be an epic video on the way, Cosmin...don't wanna promise anything though wink.gif

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you kidding me? Sure there will be...
Slavenko Erazer
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 5 2013, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woohoohooooo!!!!

You're saying that u're recruiting some german pirate women for it? mellow.gif
Todd Simpson
ARRGGGGH!!!! Matey!!! it's a Punk Pirate collab smile.gif Sounds like fun I"m all in!
Cosmin Lupu
This sounds like a lot of fun already! Mark! Are you serious man? biggrin.gif A pirate?!! How cool is that!!!

Todd - if I am not mistaken has an interesting family history!
mroberts70
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 6 2013, 04:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This sounds like a lot of fun already! Mark! Are you serious man? biggrin.gif A pirate?!! How cool is that!!!

So I've heard, but so far I've yet to see any proof of it... Genetically speaking, I've seen noone in the family with any wooden legs that I'm aware of... smile.gif Although there has been a parrot or two.... oh and and at least one eye patch that I can recall.

Todd Simpson
BORDER REIVERS UNITE!! smile.gif My family name (along Bart, Homer, and O.J) SIMPSON is one of original "Border Reiver" Clan names. So a fine legacy of Horse Thieving and generally being scoundrels. But as my Grandfather used to day "Be proud of anything you can't change, you might as well!!" smile.gif

Here is a list of the original clan names. If your name is in this list, Your a Reiver and when your ancestors left a Widow with her recently cleaved hubby, she was said to be "Bereived" which is where we get that word smile.gif

A List of Border Reiver Surnames
Archbold Armstrong Beattie
Bell Burns Carleton
Carlisle Carnaby Carrs
Carruthers Chamberlain Charlton
Collingwood Crisp Crozier
Cuthbert Dacre Davison
Dixon Dodd/s Douglas
Dunne Elliott Fenwick
Forster Graham Gray
Hall Hedley Henderson
Heron Hetherington Hume/Hulme
Irvine/g Johnston/e Kerr
Laidlaw Little Lowther
Maxwell Milburn Musgrove
Nixon Noble Ogle
Oliver Potts Pringle
Radcliffe Reade Ridley
Robson Routledge Rutherford
Salkeld Scott Selby
Shaftoe Storey Simpson
Tait Taylor Trotter
Turnbull Wake Watson
Wilson Woodrington Young

\
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 6 2013, 04:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Feb 6 2013, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I've heard, but so far I've yet to see any proof of it... Genetically speaking, I've seen noone in the family with any wooden legs that I'm aware of... smile.gif Although there has been a parrot or two.... oh and and at least one eye patch that I can recall.

Well then, Mark, it means that you have to participate on this one biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 7 2013, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BORDER REIVERS UNITE!! smile.gif My family name (along Bart, Homer, and O.J) SIMPSON is one of original "Border Reiver" Clan names. So a fine legacy of Horse Thieving and generally being scoundrels. But as my Grandfather used to day "Be proud of anything you can't change, you might as well!!" smile.gif

Here is a list of the original clan names. If your name is in this list, Your a Reiver and when your ancestors left a Widow with her recently cleaved hubby, she was said to be "Bereived" which is where we get that word smile.gif

A List of Border Reiver Surnames
Archbold Armstrong Beattie
Bell Burns Carleton
Carlisle Carnaby Carrs
Carruthers Chamberlain Charlton
Collingwood Crisp Crozier
Cuthbert Dacre Davison
Dixon Dodd/s Douglas
Dunne Elliott Fenwick
Forster Graham Gray
Hall Hedley Henderson
Heron Hetherington Hume/Hulme
Irvine/g Johnston/e Kerr
Laidlaw Little Lowther
Maxwell Milburn Musgrove
Nixon Noble Ogle
Oliver Potts Pringle
Radcliffe Reade Ridley
Robson Routledge Rutherford
Salkeld Scott Selby
Shaftoe Storey Simpson
Tait Taylor Trotter
Turnbull Wake Watson
Wilson Woodrington Young

\

Todd, you should wear the family insignia while shooting the video for this collab! wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Anyone fancy a little v-chat on this collab tonight? biggrin.gif

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=632145

Check out my ideas in the tab above and come over at 8 PM London time!

Cosmin
Slavenko Erazer
Does anybody fancies Pirate Metal pioneers ??

BTrian
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Feb 7 2013, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anybody fancies Pirate Metal pioneers ??

Alestorm?
mroberts70
[quote name='Cosmin Lupu' date='Feb 7 2013, 02:16 AM' post='632074']
Well then, Mark, it means that you have to participate on this one biggrin.gif

Gonna give it a try... The due date on this will be about in the middle of the time my son will be born, should be bringing him home that week!

He can sit with me while I play.... I see one of two things happening.... He will either hate it, OR he will want to play too one day due to me inspiring him either by good playing, or inspiring him by bad playing thusly leading him to wanting to pick up a guitar to show me how to do it properly. smile.gif

Slavenko Erazer
QUOTE (BTrian @ Feb 7 2013, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alestorm?

Alestrom are Ok, but they're not pioneers. Btw. u're a german, u should know Running Wild smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Wow, Mark, you're gonna have a little buckaneer with you to record this biggrin.gif
mroberts70
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 7 2013, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, Mark, you're gonna have a little buckaneer with you to record this biggrin.gif

Probably more like the captain, and once he gets here I'll be the one swabbing the deck...... the poop deck that is.

I may see if I can opt for walking the plank instead. smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Eh, you'll make ends meet wink.gif Too bad you missed last evening's session - we had loads of fun with the pirate song theme smile.gif

Well, here's something to help you guys out a bit biggrin.gif

Listen to these tunes and observe the phrasing - for instance, you can phrase in triplets and you will obtain that traditional phrasing style which is so much encountered in this sort of music smile.gif Give it a try!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (TylerTeeple @ Feb 5 2013, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heyyy Cosmin!!! Long time no chat! This sounds cool and I am eager to try out the scales biggrin.gif. If time permits I'd like to participate !

Hey Tyler! I'd be honored man!
Cosmin Lupu
Arrrghh mateys! How be them takes farin' ?
Grace
I can't resist pirates........I'm in!! Arrghhh!
Cosmin Lupu
Welcome m'lady! biggrin.gif
Ulrik
Am I allowed to use this as an intro?
It is not in the scale you suggested!
Cosmin Lupu
Haha! Row row row your boat! Sure man biggrin.gif
Ulrik
Ok, one more question:

I tried to do a reply in the other scale, which sounds more piraty.
Should I stick with one scale or is it ok to do what I do in this soundclip?
Cosmin Lupu
Hmmm there are some notes that don't sound too good here and there - you should try to alternate things with the minor scale so that it would bring things home wink.gif What do you think?
Ulrik
I think you might be right.
I just wanted to use the scales C Aeolian + G Phrygian (and later Ab Lydian, Bb Mixolyian, F Dorian).
But now I will just compose the next part without thinking too much about scales, which often gives me OK results.
Cosmin Lupu
Best idea mate smile.gif I did the same and modified here and there, when I wanted a particular flavor of a mode to come out wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey mate! Nintendo Pirates biggrin.gif As we discussed wink.gif

But you might want to check the video out, as there's a problem with it - it says that an error has occurred.. sad.gif
Jouve
Oh really? The YTUBE one or the filesharing site? ohmy.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Checked it again! All working!! YT was the faulty one, but now it is o - I think it didn't finish uploading biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey everyone! 4 days left smile.gif If yer takes aren't gonna be here, I'll make ye to swab the deck! Or worse! laugh.gif
Ulrik
Latest one from me, I'm almost done:
Ulrik
Making preparations to be a pirate

Grace
Having fun with this Ulrik? biggrin.gif sounding and looking awesome! I'm gonna start working on mine tonight smile.gif and I MIGHT have a little surprise rolleyes.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Wow biggrin.gif Nice outfit Mr. Ulrik and Miss Grace, let's see how fit to sail the high seas with us you are! biggrin.gif
Grace
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 23 2013, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow biggrin.gif Nice outfit Mr. Ulrik and Miss Grace, let's see how fit to sail the high seas with us you are! biggrin.gif

Oh I'm fit for the seas you'll see hehe wink.gif
Grace
Well here's my take and I'm working on the video smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/get-7-1/01-pirate-collab-with-track

http://soundcloud.com/get-7-1/02-pirate-collab-guitars
sammetal92
QUOTE (Grace @ Feb 24 2013, 02:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jack Sparrow would love this wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Yes indeed he would! Congrats miss Grace - you know, you have a very fine sense of melody smile.gif Congratulations!
Grace
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Feb 24 2013, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jack Sparrow would love this wink.gif

wink.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 24 2013, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes indeed he would! Congrats miss Grace - you know, you have a very fine sense of melody smile.gif Congratulations!

Wow! Thanks Master Cosmin! biggrin.gif
Ulrik
This is what I got.
I somehow felt more and more like a pirate as I keept on playing...

Grace
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Feb 24 2013, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what I got.

laugh.gif laugh.gif That is pure GOLD. laugh.gif
Ulrik
QUOTE (Grace @ Feb 24 2013, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif laugh.gif That is pure GOLD. laugh.gif

Thanks Grace.

I actually deleted the scene, where my girlfriend hit me in the head with a frying pan
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Feb 24 2013, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what I got.

WOW man - that is the coolest thing I saw! laugh.gif

The playing is awesome and pirate transformation - priceless! smile.gif
Ulrik
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 24 2013, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW man - that is the coolest thing I saw! laugh.gif

The playing is awesome and pirate transformation - priceless! smile.gif

Thanks, with a bigger budget, I would have some explosions and smoke to make the transformations look better, than just fading out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.