Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great Reference On "mastering" Concepts
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Todd Simpson
This is a link to a very spiff document that details many of the concepts involved in AUDIO MASTERING. Reading this, nor any other document won't make you ready to "Master" tracks, but it will give you insight in to the process and vocabulary involved smile.gif This particular resource was created by IZOTOPE who make OZONE so it has a lot of focus on the software side of things. The concepts though are pretty broad.

I really found it helpful, hope you guys do too!!!

http://downloads.izotope.com/guides/iZotop...ngWithOzone.pdf
Gabriel Leopardi
This is very interesting! Thanks for sharing Todd! One of my goals for this year is to expand my mixing and mastering knowledge and I use Ozone a lot for it. Do you have any cool mixing books to recommend? I have read "The mixing engineer handbook" which is a great one.
Todd Simpson
From what I have read in various forums and such, two books that folks like are

Desktop Mastering (Music Pro Guides)
By: Steve Turnidge

and

Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science
Bob Katz

I haven't read either yet, but folks speak highly of them on Gearsl**tz and Sevenstring.org smile.gif Of course, TONY MIRO should write a book or at least and Ebook on mastering!!! I'd read that for sure smile.gif
Todd

Here is the mastering guide as an EBOOK

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dithering-...479324338?mt=11

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 8 2013, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is very interesting! Thanks for sharing Todd! One of my goals for this year is to expand my mixing and mastering knowledge and I use Ozone a lot for it. Do you have any cool mixing books to recommend? I have read "The mixing engineer handbook" which is a great one.
Saoirse O'Shea
Bob's book is generally regarded as the one to read as an introduction to mastering. He says he's working on a new edition as the present edition is a bit dated. One thing with Bob's book is that it reflects his opinion about how to master and how to use processors etc. Some people assume that what he says is the only way to do things, it isn't it's an opinion.
I don't know the Turnidge book personally but from what I've heard it is a basic introduction whereas Bob's is a bit more technical.

For mixing Mike Senior's 'Secrets of the small studio' book and Roey Izhaki's 'Mixing audio' are good beginer/intermediate.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 9 2013, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I have read in various forums and such, two books that folks like are

Desktop Mastering (Music Pro Guides)
By: Steve Turnidge

and

Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science
Bob Katz

I haven't read either yet, but folks speak highly of them on Gearsl**tz and Sevenstring.org smile.gif Of course, TONY MIRO should write a book or at least and Ebook on mastering!!! I'd read that for sure smile.gif
Todd

Here is the mastering guide as an EBOOK

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dithering-...479324338?mt=11

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing Todd.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.