Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do You Warm Up Before Playing?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Bogdan Radovic
Do you always warm up before playing and which exercises do you use to do that?

I must say that I don't actually always warm up properly before practicing and it might affect my performance. I know quite a few cool warm up exercises that really get my fingers going and than it is much easier for me to start playing more complicated stuff. Sometimes I do them sometimes I don't prior to home practice sessions. What I'm always careful about is to start slowly and don't play any crazy stuff immediately.

I do warm up before going to stage on the gigs, usually with fretting exercises going up the neck and also some slap bass stuff. What I have noticed there is that if I don't warm up properly, my hands would get tired very fast during the first song (and if the band chose a fast one - you're in trouble).

How does your routine look like?
Nava
Sadly to say, no I dont warmup sad.gif

However do I often play the modal scales in the beginning so thats is some kind of warmup for me wink.gif

But If u dont have the amount of time practice, I rather go straight for the things I practice! I guess thats wrong, but I cant spend like 15 minutes on warmup if I only have like 45 min. to play. Or?

How to best plan ur practice time? Maybe its better with 5 minutes of warmup and then do whatever..

Sounds like I need a mentor haha...
leonard478
I go for a 20 minute warm up, Using the warm up from John Petrucci's rock discipline, first warming up the left hand with extreme stretches, then the right hand with arpeggios, and a typical 'spider' style Alternate picking work out smile.gif gotta warm up properly nowadays, had a very big scare with tendinitis, ive learned my lesson laugh.gif

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Mar 27 2013, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you always warm up before playing and which exercises do you use to do that?

I must say that I don't actually always warm up properly before practicing and it might affect my performance. I know quite a few cool warm up exercises that really get my fingers going and than it is much easier for me to start playing more complicated stuff. Sometimes I do them sometimes I don't prior to home practice sessions. What I'm always careful about is to start slowly and don't play any crazy stuff immediately.

I do warm up before going to stage on the gigs, usually with fretting exercises going up the neck and also some slap bass stuff. What I have noticed there is that if I don't warm up properly, my hands would get tired very fast during the first song (and if the band chose a fast one - you're in trouble).

How does your routine look like?

jstcrsn
I usually just practice the same lesson that I am working on,
I just play it slow and perfect( avoiding a speed that is uncomfortable/pain) and before I know it I am warmed up and playing it at my fastest
TreyDeschamp
I don't I just play. I tried warming up but the only thing that did was make me bored.
Cosmin Lupu
For me, warming up before I practice is more of a mindset routine smile.gif

I start with massaging my fingers to stimulate the bloodflow, then flexing my tendons with some moves I've seen on the Rock Discipline DVD (John Petrucci) then doing the tendon stimulation massage - you guys might know the video I did for GMC a few years ago.

Now, after that and while doing it, I close down the phone, browsers and such and create a mindful and aware practice space around me smile.gif

Then, I can begin..
Darius Wave
If I don't warm up before playing...I won't be able to play some of the hardest parts in my solos...Warm up is a must ...unless Your a slow-down blues player haha smile.gif Unfortunately there are situations like being a bit late for the gig and there is there is no time to warmp up...then I have to do it while playing...
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 28 2013, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I don't warm up before playing...I won't be able to play some of the hardest parts in my solos...Warm up is a must ...unless Your a slow-down blues player haha smile.gif Unfortunately there are situations like being a bit late for the gig and there is there is no time to warmp up...then I have to do it while playing...

Man, I have something for you smile.gif Try it before going onstage and let me know how it felt!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.