Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unmasking The Drama
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Cosmin Lupu
Pages: 1, 2
Cosmin Lupu
Hey there, my fellow GMCrs!

How about a prog-modern sounding track for this collab right here? It's very dramatic and dark sounding so what I'd like to propose to you guys is:

- make a video of yourself while performing your take
- wear a mask and use a guitar that we do not know, if you can biggrin.gif
- I will be the only one knowing who's who and everybody else has to guess who performed what in the final mix!

We mask our face, but unravel the soul

All GMC will play this role

While music speaks and we close our eyes

Find out who it is and have a surprise

This is the motto of our new collab and let's see the tech specs:

Tempo: 120 BPM

Scales: C natural minor, C minor pentatonic, C phrygian, C blues

Meter: 4/4

Material format:

Audio - 1 file with your solo only (.wav) 1 file with the whole track and your solo (.mp3)
Video - 1 .mp4 file

Deadline: August 28th

So, prepare your masks and let's rock!!

Cosmin
Gitarrero
I might have an idea for the video...
I'm in!
Dieterle
I am in cool.gif gonna use my oldest guitar for the record - hope it will not explode huh.gif

Sinisa Cekic
Superb idea smile.gif
bleez
This will make quite a bizarre and dark video huh.gif excellent concept dude! Im all for the bizarre and dark biggrin.gif

I always knew someday I would end up on the internet wearing some sort of mask blink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Christian, Dieter and bleez - welcome to the world of masks biggrin.gif

Thank you Sinisa, would you like to join us too?
Sinisa Cekic
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 9 2013, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you Sinisa, would you like to join us too?

We will reveal that at the end ph34r.gif
Darius Wave
VERY COOL IDEA COSMIN! smile.gif

I'm only afraid You have to add some point to the terms

10. Use a guitar borrowed from a friend

I'm afaraid some of us could be recognised by their guitar...I would detect You duuuude immiediately biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 9 2013, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
VERY COOL IDEA COSMIN! smile.gif

I'm only afraid You have to add some point to the terms

10. Use a guitar borrowed from a friend

I'm afaraid some of us could be recognised by their guitar...I would detect You duuuude immiediately biggrin.gif

Hey D-man - i already stated that in the description tongue.gif I thought it would be easy to see who's who simply by looking at the guitars they are using biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Aug 9 2013, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We will reveal that at the end ph34r.gif

Alriiight! biggrin.gif
sammetal92
Everyone has seen my guitars but I'll still try to give it a go laugh.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 17 2013, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone has seen my guitars but I'll still try to give it a go laugh.gif

Be my guest! smile.gif You are most welcome aboard Sam!
jstcrsn
I don't know if I will have time , but if I do, I was wondering when would be the best time to switch modes between the a fore mentioned modes
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 18 2013, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if I will have time , but if I do, I was wondering when would be the best time to switch modes between the a fore mentioned modes

Hey mate! You can play the Phrygian over the nasty riff part and the other modes over the clean part smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hello guys!! 4 days left biggrin.gif Let's see the masks and then figure out who's who wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Everyone smile.gif I am extending the collab entry deadline till this Friday - don't forget for this one, you need to send me the takes in a PM
Cosmin Lupu
Hey guys! At midnight the entries will be closed so, please send me your takes in a PM smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Alright mates! Time's up - got the files from everyone and I will be presenting the final mix this Monday biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Final mix readyyyyy!! biggrin.gif Alright, now before telling you what's what with what was being played and other details, let's watch the vid and see if you guys can guess who's who??

Hajduk
Lost on who is who, the one mask with the light shining was a awesome effect and great sounding song smile.gif Great Job
Jim S.
I don't know the members that well to tell them apart but I will say that the guy with the feet had a real nice feel to it! Cool
sammetal92
I know I'm gonna be way off but here are my guesses (couldn't guess all of them laugh.gif)

The first person is maybe Christian, second is maybe Sinisa, third is maybe Mr. Rich and the person with the acoustic guitar maybe bleez? tongue.gif I know I know, way off biggrin.gif can't guess anymore, just a wild guess but maybe the last person is Darius laugh.gif

But way to go guys!! Very dark stuff going on biggrin.gif
Monica Gheorghevici
This was very cool! First time I was have the feeling that I'm watching at a horror movie with maniacs criminals smile.gif
The second time was that parody part with "dancing fingers foots" laugh.gif That part distract my focus from the hands players smile.gif
I don't know who are that persons in the video, but you all was great. I enjoyed yours collab smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Sep 3 2013, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I'm gonna be way off but here are my guesses (couldn't guess all of them laugh.gif)

The first person is maybe Christian, second is maybe Sinisa, third is maybe Mr. Rich and the person with the acoustic guitar maybe bleez? tongue.gif I know I know, way off biggrin.gif can't guess anymore, just a wild guess but maybe the last person is Darius laugh.gif

But way to go guys!! Very dark stuff going on biggrin.gif

The funniest thing is...NONE of the above mention have participated tongue.gif Try guessing some more Sam, my friend biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 2 2013, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know the members that well to tell them apart but I will say that the guy with the feet had a real nice feel to it! Cool

Thank you!! ..oops tongue.gif

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Sep 2 2013, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lost on who is who, the one mask with the light shining was a awesome effect and great sounding song smile.gif Great Job

Thanks Tom - I think that guy did a great job biggrin.gif
sammetal92
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 3 2013, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you!! ..oops tongue.gif

Hahaha I had a feeling wink.gif and I told you I wasn't good at guessing games laugh.gif
VilleFIN
Ha ! I knew Cosmin had a foot fetish biggrin.gif seriously I think there's few new members because I can't tell who these people are. Except that 2nd last wink.gif

Tell the names Cosmin smile.gif
bleez
Got it...... they are ALL ze german guy!
smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Sep 3 2013, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahaha I had a feeling wink.gif and I told you I wasn't good at guessing games laugh.gif

Can you see what's written on my toes? laugh.gif

QUOTE (WeePee @ Sep 3 2013, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha ! I knew Cosmin had a foot fetish biggrin.gif seriously I think there's few new members because I can't tell who these people are. Except that 2nd last wink.gif

The man with the Noh mask biggrin.gif
mad
That's so cool biggrin.gif
I don't know those guys (except one for sure biggrin.gif), but I was sure that 'feet-guy' was you Cosmin smile.gif
And I think that last guy must be Jim Seekford?
Awesome playing everyone!

And what's that on your feets Cos? I can't read it, tell us biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Alrightie biggrin.gif Let's see who's who...geeeeet ready!

1) Bleez - great slicing effect which was by far, the best way to open the track. I liked the fact that you used tapping in order to come up with a great melody. Kudos to you mate!

2) Mad - such an enlightened fellow, isn't he? biggrin.gif Oriental influences and tremolo picking suited this part best, so I think you did a great job as well. I also heard some nice lines in the section that followed but it was difficult to implement everything, so I sacrificed them - hope you're not...mad at me laugh.gif

3) Me - well, I decided to use my fingers and say hello to GMC tongue.gif This track and that solo in particular is a part of a demo video I am working on, for the local PRS dealer, so you will most probably be seeing it played in a more sober context as well wink.gif

4) WeePee - Ville is wearing a Noh mask -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh <- if you are curious about it wink.gif and his take was also very, very fitting with the mask he wore - using minor seconds is always a good way to scare people! biggrin.gif

5) Sammetal92 - Sam, I am really glad you built your line after all and I think you did a good job at it - another oriental sounding motif which fitted well over that part.

6) Jim Seekford - last but definitely not least - Jim also came up with a well structured line and I think that his mask is scary as well biggrin.gif Even tho, at first he didn't want to use it smile.gif Those slides sound very good as well!

Now that we all know who's who, I will only tell you this - something wickedly good is coming your way wink.gif Stay tuned and thank you very very much for participating!

Cosmin

QUOTE (mad @ Sep 3 2013, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's so cool biggrin.gif
I don't know those guys (except one for sure biggrin.gif), but I was sure that 'feet-guy' was you Cosmin smile.gif
And I think that last guy must be Jim Seekford?
Awesome playing everyone!

And what's that on your feets Cos? I can't read it, tell us biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif It says 'Hello GMC' Unfortunately when the idea came, I had no darn marker around laugh.gif
sammetal92
I actually read that "Hello GMC" the second time I Watched the video biggrin.gif That and your hands are kinda very familiar to me tongue.gif But I thought you were playing a Flying V laugh.gif

QUOTE (WeePee @ Sep 3 2013, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hah! You spotted me biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Sep 3 2013, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually read that "Hello GMC" the second time I Watched the video biggrin.gif That and your hands are kinda very familiar to me tongue.gif But I thought you were playing a Flying V laugh.gif

Hah! You spotted me biggrin.gif

Flying V?? laugh.gif It's actually a 1964 Mandolin, that belonged to the grandad of one of my old friends tongue.gif
Darius Wave
Awesome job guys! Sick collab! biggrin.gif
Dieterle
HaHaHa Very COOL Vid !!!

And well played Guys !

cool.gif
mad
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Sep 2 2013, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lost on who is who, the one mask with the light shining was a awesome effect and great sounding song Great Job

Thanks man smile.gif I discovered that effect accidentially while clicking around in sony vegas trying to hide my face biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 3 2013, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) Mad - such an enlightened fellow, isn't he? biggrin.gif Oriental influences and tremolo picking suited this part best, so I think you did a great job as well. I also heard some nice lines in the section that followed but it was difficult to implement everything, so I sacrificed them - hope you're not...mad at me laugh.gif

Now that we all know who's who, I will only tell you this - something wickedly good is coming your way wink.gif Stay tuned and thank you very very much for participating!

Cosmin

Thank you! And I might be not mad at you if we could discuss the rest of my solo in the 'rhythm corner' biggrin.gif

I'm curious what's that wickedly good something that'll come our way..
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Sep 3 2013, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks man smile.gif I discovered that effect accidentially while clicking around in sony vegas trying to hide my face biggrin.gif

Thank you! And I might be not mad at you if we could discuss the rest of my solo in the 'rhythm corner' biggrin.gif

I'm curious what's that wickedly good something that'll come our way..

Patience and all shall be revealed in due time wink.gif Sure we can! Write me in your thread and let me know what questions you might have smile.gif
bleez
I like how dark the whole thing sounds smile.gif excellent job guys.
I see me and sam both went for the 'ninja' look..... everything is a little cooler with some ninjas biggrin.gif
VilleFIN
Oh, bleez was in it. Damn laugh.gif

Great Job guys and thanks Cosmin for a great idea for a collab.

Here's my whole take if someone is interested smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/alfafirefox/wps-take
sammetal92
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 3 2013, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like how dark the whole thing sounds smile.gif excellent job guys.
I see me and sam both went for the 'ninja' look..... everything is a little cooler with some ninjas biggrin.gif

And its a lot cooler when they're a pair of guitar-wielding ninjas biggrin.gif cool.gif
mad
QUOTE (WeePee @ Sep 3 2013, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, bleez was in it. Damn laugh.gif

Great Job guys and thanks Cosmin for a great idea for a collab.

Here's my whole take if someone is interested smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/alfafirefox/wps-take

Wow Ville! Some really nice lines!
And good idea - lets share our full takes for this awesome collab guys..

sammetal92
Great takes Ville and Marc cool.gif

Here's my full take!

mad
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Sep 3 2013, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great takes Ville and Marc cool.gif

Here's my full take!

Great one sam, like that part starting 0:21 very much!
sammetal92
QUOTE (mad @ Sep 3 2013, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great one sam, like that part starting 0:21 very much!

Thanks, that's the part I wrote while noodling around with some blues stuff on the backing track cool.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Sep 3 2013, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow Ville! Some really nice lines!
And good idea - lets share our full takes for this awesome collab guys..

Ville - your melodic lines are very powerful and I really enjoyed the control you have over the tone biggrin.gif You play with intention - by that, I mean that you know exactly what you want to play and where and it can be felt - am I right? smile.gif

Marc - as I said, I felt a bit uneasy for not being able to include that line you played immediately after the first oriental passage - you have to work on your direction a bit more - things look promising, so it's a good idea to break em down in your thread and 'polish the diamond' as they say smile.gif

Sam - it's the same with you man - you tend to get a bit lost in the phrases and that's where you lose a bit of direction - did you know what you were playing before recording, or you just went along with the flow?
VilleFIN
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 4 2013, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ville - your melodic lines are very powerful and I really enjoyed the control you have over the tone biggrin.gif You play with intention - by that, I mean that you know exactly what you want to play and where and it can be felt - am I right? smile.gif

Thank You smile.gif

Well let's say that after 31+ collabs I have really developed my skills and musical ideas. So keep on collaborating guys wink.gif
sammetal92
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 4 2013, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sam - it's the same with you man - you tend to get a bit lost in the phrases and that's where you lose a bit of direction - did you know what you were playing before recording, or you just went along with the flow?

I developed a bunch of phrases in my head, transcribed them and played to the backing track and then I chose the one which sounded best to my ear tongue.gif
bleez
better late than never cool.gif here was my full take.

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Sep 4 2013, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I developed a bunch of phrases in my head, transcribed them and played to the backing track and then I chose the one which sounded best to my ear tongue.gif

oh, I see, I see smile.gif Well then Sam, you need to focus on the direction and dynamics - things are a bit too linear when you play over the clean part of the track. As an initial tip, try working with more note durations and rests rather than full notes and eight notes only, make things more unpredictable tongue.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 4 2013, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
better late than never cool.gif here was my full take.

Mate - as I said in my first round of comments, you stole my heart with that tapping based melody which remained stuck to my head even now wink.gif
sammetal92
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 5 2013, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh, I see, I see smile.gif Well then Sam, you need to focus on the direction and dynamics - things are a bit too linear when you play over the clean part of the track. As an initial tip, try working with more note durations and rests rather than full notes and eight notes only, make things more unpredictable tongue.gif

The first clean part or the second one? And I've never really thought about the length of the notes/rests I use ohmy.gif can I please get an audio example showing the comparison? tongue.gif Like I know what note durations are, but I mean how do I make my phrases more unpredictable biggrin.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 5 2013, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mate - as I said in my first round of comments, you stole my heart with that tapping based melody which remained stuck to my head even now wink.gif

biggrin.gif thanks dude. totally the best bit of my take!
Jim S.
So I found out about this pretty late and really wanted to put something together. The first take with the bag on my head had a nice intro but I couldn't nail the F minor arpeggio in the clean part and played improv more than I would have liked.

So the last night I stayed up practiced all my lines, found new ones and was really happy with it until I put that damn bag on my head, my hands were already tired from practicing and the bag kept completely blocking my face. This is the last take right after I crinkled the bag up and threw it away. I like parts of each video but this one has more licks and seems a bit more thought out.

This was a really fun collaboration, Ill be looking forward to the next one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.