Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Cosmin Lupu
At times, most people encounter these types of problems when learning to play guitar:

- You are a beginner and you don't know where to start
- You are stuck with a certain area of your playing
- You don't use your practice time as efficiently as possible
- You feel lost because you have started practicing too many things at once and you are nowhere near your desired goal...

We want to help you get on the right track as soon as possible - and for this reason I am offering you a unique opportunity to set up a personalized lesson plan.

Please just answer the questions below, either in this topic or via private message. I will then set you up with a practice regimen consisting of GMC materials, that can cover a week of practice towards your desired goal.

* How long have you been playing the guitar?
* What do you feel your current level is?
* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far?
* How much time/day can you spend practicing?
* What are your favorite techniques?
* What would you like to improve?
* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)?
* What gear do you own?
* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing

If you can provide audio/ video materials of your playing, it would be very helpful.
If not, we can work things out either way smile.gif

I will try to get back to you as soon as possible, hopefully today already - depending on the amount of applications.

I am looking forward to helping you getting on the right track!

Cosmin
bahadirpeker
I posted a pm Cosmin. Thank you so much!
Darius Wave
Great idea Cosmin! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (bahadirpeker @ Sep 7 2013, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey mate - I'll get back to you asap once I figure out a good plan wink.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 7 2013, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great idea Cosmin! smile.gif

Thanks D-man!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (bahadirpeker @ Sep 7 2013, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out your inbox, mate wink.gif
Terence
You got a mail smile.gif Very cool offer!
bahadirpeker
You are great man! Thank you so much! smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2013, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check out your inbox, mate wink.gif

mad
Awesome idea Cosmin smile.gif let's add this one to our thread..
Sent you a PM
Storm Linnebjerg
Very good initiative, Cosmin. I hope people get a lot out of it. I don't think it's quite for me at the very moment though.
Cosmin Lupu
I'm sure that everyone will benefit out of this smile.gif

QUOTE (mad @ Sep 8 2013, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome idea Cosmin smile.gif let's add this one to our thread..
Sent you a PM

Got it mate!
Storm Linnebjerg
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 9 2013, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure that everyone will benefit out of this smile.gif

Absolutely! I just need to settle in with what I have going now. Don't want to get my hands too full and stumble in the process and get too stressed out about it.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Terence @ Sep 7 2013, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You got a mail smile.gif Very cool offer!

Check your inbox tongue.gif
Bogdan Radovic
This is great - everyone should try to get some structured practice! smile.gif

Who else needs a plan?
coffeeman
Hey my friend. I'm working on Gab's army but I'm feeling so frustrated (of course not with Gab but with my playing) lately that any additional help is more than welcome.

*How long have you been playing the guitar?
- Forever. I'm 37 and I started playing when I was 16. I played for 2 and a half years, I stopped for 3 years. Then I took it again for one year. And then I stopped again for a long time. For the last 6 years I've been very inconsistently with my practice, because of a lot of things, I practice 6 months then I stop for another 6 months and so on. But I really want to improve my playing and I'm committed into practicing.
-A Lousy intermediate.
- I can spend 3 hours at least 4 days a week.
-Rock riffing, bending, vibrato, legato, alternate picking.
- Rock riff playing and composing, legato, alternate picking, bending and vibrato. And to improve my ability to compose melodies, both for solos and for singing.
- At home, but I'm working on my solo project playing the guitar and singing, so I'll start practicing with a drumer and a bass player friends to get the project out.
* What gear do you own?
-I have a fender strat, a cheap les paul, a Line 6 toneport UX1, and a BOSS ME-70.
* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing.
-Steven WIlson, Nuno Betancourt, Tom Morello, Richie Kotzen, Chris Cornell.

Here are a few of my latest REC takes, but I know you have watch them(Thanks for your comments! )

Rocker riff 2
Winter tune
Intermediate Rock song

And here are a couple of my own compositions, I haven't finished them.
Crea
Wake Up
Earth Inside
El Cubo

Thanks a lot my friend.
PosterBoy
I think learning paths are a really good idea, not only personal ones, but with so many lessons on here some gems get missed, and the choice is overwhelming, it might be worth making a sticky thread with ones for certain techniques and styles.

For example

Country guitar

Give some major pentatonic lessons, some mixolydian mode lessons, hybrid picking lessons, lessons on string bending and of course country style lessons, all building up in level of difficulty.
Cosmin Lupu
Hey my friend!

You are one of the people who's activity stands out and I for one am a big fan of your compositions as they tend to have a close influence from Chris Cornell/ Audioslave, which I am a HUGE fan of smile.gif

Now, here's what I have in mind regarding what you should focus on:

Technique - alternate picking or legato or articulation elements - one/ week tho, as your time is limited
Rhythm - tightening up your rhythm skills
Composition - observing the concepts behind lessons you have learned so that you my apply these concepts in your own playing

Day 1 - Rhythm: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Grunge-V-Soundgarden/ grungy riffs combined with bends and

Day 2 - Technique: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...cking_beginner/ - this combines both alternate picking and legato

Day 3 - Revision

Day 4 - Revision and conclusions

In 3 hrs per day, you could divide your time like this:

Day 1 -2 -> 2hrs to understand the parts in the lesson, 30 min to rehearse them and another 30-45 min to try and put them together against the slowest available backing track

Day 3-4 ->

- rehearsing the lessons against the backing tracks, gradually - starting from the slowest towards the fastest - focus on timing, clean playing and expression - if you can record/ rehears the lesson at full speed over the original one to see what parts cause problems, it would be great, as this will act as a mirror smile.gif
- revising the theoretical concepts behind the lesson, so that you may pick them up and see if you can use them in your own compositions - have you ever tried this?

At the end of the week, I will invite you to write your conclusions here, in this thread so that we may see if there are any uncertainties and how you progress with the lessons. Of course, communication between us, during the week is essential and if you have questions, by all means ask me smile.gif

What do you think mate?

Cosmin

QUOTE (coffeeman @ Sep 12 2013, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey my friend. I'm working on Gab's army but I'm feeling so frustrated (of course not with Gab but with my playing) lately that any additional help is more than welcome.

*How long have you been playing the guitar?
- Forever. I'm 37 and I started playing when I was 16. I played for 2 and a half years, I stopped for 3 years. Then I took it again for one year. And then I stopped again for a long time. For the last 6 years I've been very inconsistently with my practice, because of a lot of things, I practice 6 months then I stop for another 6 months and so on. But I really want to improve my playing and I'm committed into practicing.
-A Lousy intermediate.
- I can spend 3 hours at least 4 days a week.
-Rock riffing, bending, vibrato, legato, alternate picking.
- Rock riff playing and composing, legato, alternate picking, bending and vibrato. And to improve my ability to compose melodies, both for solos and for singing.
- At home, but I'm working on my solo project playing the guitar and singing, so I'll start practicing with a drumer and a bass player friends to get the project out.
* What gear do you own?
-I have a fender strat, a cheap les paul, a Line 6 toneport UX1, and a BOSS ME-70.
* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing.
-Steven WIlson, Nuno Betancourt, Tom Morello, Richie Kotzen, Chris Cornell.

Here are a few of my latest REC takes, but I know you have watch them(Thanks for your comments! )

Rocker riff 2
Winter tune
Intermediate Rock song

And here are a couple of my own compositions, I haven't finished them.
Crea
Wake Up
Earth Inside
El Cubo

Thanks a lot my friend.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 12 2013, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think learning paths are a really good idea, not only personal ones, but with so many lessons on here some gems get missed, and the choice is overwhelming, it might be worth making a sticky thread with ones for certain techniques and styles.

For example

Country guitar

Give some major pentatonic lessons, some mixolydian mode lessons, hybrid picking lessons, lessons on string bending and of course country style lessons, all building up in level of difficulty.

Hey mate - do I understand that you would like a practice plan as well? If yes, please answer the questions and I'll get to ya wink.gif Indeed, the database is very big and your thought is one that I also had for a long time now smile.gif

Let me know, ok?

Cosmin
coffeeman
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 13 2013, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey my friend!

You are one of the people who's activity stands out and I for one am a big fan of your compositions as they tend to have a close influence from Chris Cornell/ Audioslave, which I am a HUGE fan of smile.gif

Now, here's what I have in mind regarding what you should focus on:

Technique - alternate picking or legato or articulation elements - one/ week tho, as your time is limited
Rhythm - tightening up your rhythm skills
Composition - observing the concepts behind lessons you have learned so that you my apply these concepts in your own playing

Day 1 - Rhythm: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Grunge-V-Soundgarden/ grungy riffs combined with bends and

Day 2 - Technique: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...cking_beginner/ - this combines both alternate picking and legato

Day 3 - Revision

Day 4 - Revision and conclusions

In 3 hrs per day, you could divide your time like this:

Day 1 -2 -> 2hrs to understand the parts in the lesson, 30 min to rehearse them and another 30-45 min to try and put them together against the slowest available backing track

Day 3-4 ->

- rehearsing the lessons against the backing tracks, gradually - starting from the slowest towards the fastest - focus on timing, clean playing and expression - if you can record/ rehears the lesson at full speed over the original one to see what parts cause problems, it would be great, as this will act as a mirror smile.gif
- revising the theoretical concepts behind the lesson, so that you may pick them up and see if you can use them in your own compositions - have you ever tried this?

At the end of the week, I will invite you to write your conclusions here, in this thread so that we may see if there are any uncertainties and how you progress with the lessons. Of course, communication between us, during the week is essential and if you have questions, by all means ask me smile.gif

What do you think mate?

Cosmin

Hey mate - do I understand that you would like a practice plan as well? If yes, please answer the questions and I'll get to ya wink.gif Indeed, the database is very big and your thought is one that I also had for a long time now smile.gif

Let me know, ok?

Cosmin

It's sounds great. I'll start working tomorrow as day 1. Should we maintain the conversation on this thread? Or should we do it on another thread or via PM.

revising the theoretical concepts behind the lesson, so that you may pick them up and see if you can use them in your own compositions - have you ever tried this? Yes, I've done it with a couple of riffing lessons. It's an awesome excercise and it helps me a lot with creativity. Sometime I feel that I'm doing the same riff over and over so I go to a riff lesson and steel a couple of riffs and melodic parts. This soundgarden lesson sounds awesome.

Thanks a lot for doing this!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Sep 13 2013, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's sounds great. I'll start working tomorrow as day 1. Should we maintain the conversation on this thread? Or should we do it on another thread or via PM.

revising the theoretical concepts behind the lesson, so that you may pick them up and see if you can use them in your own compositions - have you ever tried this? Yes, I've done it with a couple of riffing lessons. It's an awesome excercise and it helps me a lot with creativity. Sometime I feel that I'm doing the same riff over and over so I go to a riff lesson and steel a couple of riffs and melodic parts. This soundgarden lesson sounds awesome.

Thanks a lot for doing this!

We'll do it the way you feel most comfortable with, mate! Be it PM or here, you decide - I am glad that this concept is not a strange one for you biggrin.gif so let me know if there are any questions along the way, ok?
Cosmin Lupu
Hey everyone smile.gif How about posting your impressions on the first week, in this thread here?
mad
First week is going great! I think having a plan to organize my practice time will
become essential for improving my playing. But we have to fine-tune the plan for the next weeks,
because last week showed I spent about 3h a day - maybe I could even improve a lot faster biggrin.gif

Thank you!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (mad @ Sep 15 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First week is going great! I think having a plan to organize my practice time will
become essential for improving my playing. But we have to fine-tune the plan for the next weeks,
because last week showed I spent about 3h a day - maybe I could even improve a lot faster biggrin.gif

Thank you!

Glad you like it so far Marc, indeed, the plan we created at first was designed for less time/ day, but hey, who says we can't upgrade? Once you draw the conclusions - I invite you to post the video you plan on doing here as well if you'd like - we can see how you are faring and upgrade to a full 3h/ day plan. Do we have a deal, my friend?
uncguy4321
Cosmin, I'd love this. Id actually like to start my own thread with this...where I can answer the questions, you could give a plan, and I can report back to you in the same thread throughout the process. Or should I just stick to this thread? Ill make a vid tomorrow when I get sun light.

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (uncguy4321 @ Sep 17 2013, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cosmin, I'd love this. Id actually like to start my own thread with this...where I can answer the questions, you could give a plan, and I can report back to you in the same thread throughout the process. Or should I just stick to this thread? Ill make a vid tomorrow when I get sun light.

Hey man! Great to have you biggrin.gif You can post your answers here and after that I will build you a thread of your own in which we can work together - how does that sound?
Cosmin Lupu
Hey guys! How's everyone doing? With some of you, I have kept a fluid communication line through private messages, but it would be nice if as many of you would post their conclusions and thoughts on progress after using the schedules smile.gif In this way, we can improve faster and I will be able to help you even better smile.gif
sblack82
cosmin.....

just found this thread and messaged you about a plan. I would be more than happy to go back and forth with you here in the thread as far as progress on a plan and feedback. love the idea and couldn't help but leap at the opportunity for some direction.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 19 2013, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cosmin.....

just found this thread and messaged you about a plan. I would be more than happy to go back and forth with you here in the thread as far as progress on a plan and feedback. love the idea and couldn't help but leap at the opportunity for some direction.

Hey Steven! I am reading your message and I will post the schedule I thought up for ya in this thread here smile.gif Stay tuned!
Cosmin Lupu
Hey again Steven, here's what I have in mind regarding a possible schedule for you:

We will focus on two lessons a week, one based on rhythm and one based on lead. The goal is to be able to understand, learn and play them as well as possible, so that at the end of that week, you will know what you have learned and later on, use the concepts in your own musical creations if you wish to wink.gif We can also focus on theory if you wish, but you let me know, ok?

Day 1 - 2 - Rhythm: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Rhythm-Guitar/

The process should go like this: listen to the lesson and try to get as familiar as possible with the structure and each part. Read the theoretical explanations and ask me anything that sounds strange or difficult to understand. Learn and rehearse each part slowly and then practice it against the metronome. After that, put the parts together as the structure of the lesson dictates and try to play them clean and with good timing, against the slowest backing track available. Theoretically, you have 4 hours for this (2 days/ 2 hrs each)

Day 3 - 4 - Lead: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/blues_...ntasy_in_g-min/

The same process applies in this case as well!

Day 5 - Break - your brain needs a bit of rest to settle things down. Don't neglect this aspect, aye? wink.gif

Day 6 - 7 - Revision and conclusions - rehearse both lessons with the available backing tracks, focusing on reaching the full speed and paying attention to play clean, with good timing and being attentive to the details.

At the end, it would be great if you could write your thoughts about your experience in this thread smile.gif What say you?

Cosmin
sblack82
I like it!! as someone still on the beginner level I can definitely see why you would organize my schedule of practice the way you have. both of those lessons will allow me to not only have a great place to start but more importantly, have a foundation to begin to understand why the music is structured the way that it is......which is something that has evaded me as I didn't know where to start. I will keep a journal for myself to write down what I learn on the musical structure and theory part of it so that I can ask questions without having to worry about forgetting anything and also so that I have a reference to look back to and build from.

as for the playing.....as I get thru each lesson and get to the point where I can play it cleanly with the full speed backing track, I will post videos to be graded so that we also have a video reference of how my playing has progressed. I figure that way if I have any repetitive playing or technical sloppiness that could lead to bad habits, we can correct those issues before they develop into bad habits.

I think this whole concept is rockin' as understanding a little bit of theory in each lesson isn't going to overload the brain (especially if it builds in a logical way over time), AND being able to play it cleanly at full speed with a backing track is both a short term goal and challenge.

only question I have is this.......thus far, aside from jumping from video lesson to video lesson, I have a few videos that are technical exercises that I have gotten into to help accuracy and moving around the fretboard without having to think so much. like some of the alternate picking videos and some right hand exercise videos so that I'm playing something that isn't just straight scales over and over again. should I keep up with those exercises or should we throw those in later? I figured I could go thru 2 or 3 exercises as a warm up for the session of the day that you have prescribed in my schedule above. I can make a separate post with the 3 or 4 video links that I have been doing if you'd like, that way you can tell me if they are going to be complimentary to what you have me doing in my plan.

thanks again form letting me jump on this opportunity!

keep it loud!
-steven
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 20 2013, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like it!! as someone still on the beginner level I can definitely see why you would organize my schedule of practice the way you have. both of those lessons will allow me to not only have a great place to start but more importantly, have a foundation to begin to understand why the music is structured the way that it is......which is something that has evaded me as I didn't know where to start. I will keep a journal for myself to write down what I learn on the musical structure and theory part of it so that I can ask questions without having to worry about forgetting anything and also so that I have a reference to look back to and build from.

as for the playing.....as I get thru each lesson and get to the point where I can play it cleanly with the full speed backing track, I will post videos to be graded so that we also have a video reference of how my playing has progressed. I figure that way if I have any repetitive playing or technical sloppiness that could lead to bad habits, we can correct those issues before they develop into bad habits.

I think this whole concept is rockin' as understanding a little bit of theory in each lesson isn't going to overload the brain (especially if it builds in a logical way over time), AND being able to play it cleanly at full speed with a backing track is both a short term goal and challenge.

only question I have is this.......thus far, aside from jumping from video lesson to video lesson, I have a few videos that are technical exercises that I have gotten into to help accuracy and moving around the fretboard without having to think so much. like some of the alternate picking videos and some right hand exercise videos so that I'm playing something that isn't just straight scales over and over again. should I keep up with those exercises or should we throw those in later? I figured I could go thru 2 or 3 exercises as a warm up for the session of the day that you have prescribed in my schedule above. I can make a separate post with the 3 or 4 video links that I have been doing if you'd like, that way you can tell me if they are going to be complimentary to what you have me doing in my plan.

thanks again form letting me jump on this opportunity!

keep it loud!
-steven

Hey man! So glad you like it! By all means, show me all you've done as vids, it will help me help you smile.gif Post them here, or send me a PM, as you feel comfortable, ok? If you have good results with them, keep them and use them as a warm up smile.gif
sblack82
alright.....first day of practice and all is well. 1st question, and you can either respond or give me a link to read that will explain it. first off, I recognized the basic 12 bar blues structure as soon as I heard the lesson's main video. I can play on that rhythm but have only played with chord shapes as opposed to individual notes (example....E5, A5, B5 type stuff).

I have watched plenty of videos on the site, and the lesson you asked me to do is easy enough to follow, but in this lesson as well as many others I have watched, I see the chord names and then watch the guitarist take the shape and do slides to different spots and sometimes (other videos), do some single note riffing and all it says is the chord name. why is it that when he does some fancy fingering or a slide with the same shape, or a different shape entirely, it is still the same chord that appears on screen? I'm well aware of the fact that there are different ways to make the same chord in various spots on the fretboard but I'm not sure if that's all I'm seeing or why when the guitarist does a single note riff it just shows the chord name. is it just playing something fun from the major blues scale of the key that the piece is composed in to complement the 1,4, 5 progression of the chords, or even a relative minor or pentatonic riff in the same key? and if it is, then why does it just show the chord name?

help me see the light

I hope my questions makes some kind of sense.

keep it loud
-Steven
Nava
I see some real cool lessons here which I never seen before biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Awesume!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 20 2013, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
alright.....first day of practice and all is well. 1st question, and you can either respond or give me a link to read that will explain it. first off, I recognized the basic 12 bar blues structure as soon as I heard the lesson's main video. I can play on that rhythm but have only played with chord shapes as opposed to individual notes (example....E5, A5, B5 type stuff).

I have watched plenty of videos on the site, and the lesson you asked me to do is easy enough to follow, but in this lesson as well as many others I have watched, I see the chord names and then watch the guitarist take the shape and do slides to different spots and sometimes (other videos), do some single note riffing and all it says is the chord name. why is it that when he does some fancy fingering or a slide with the same shape, or a different shape entirely, it is still the same chord that appears on screen? I'm well aware of the fact that there are different ways to make the same chord in various spots on the fretboard but I'm not sure if that's all I'm seeing or why when the guitarist does a single note riff it just shows the chord name. is it just playing something fun from the major blues scale of the key that the piece is composed in to complement the 1,4, 5 progression of the chords, or even a relative minor or pentatonic riff in the same key? and if it is, then why does it just show the chord name?

help me see the light

I hope my questions makes some kind of sense.

keep it loud
-Steven

Cheers Steven! Your questions make perfect sense and because of that, I will make a video in which I will talk to you about these things - far easier than typing tongue.gif You'll have it tomorrow posted here in this thread!

Cheers!

Cosmin
sblack82
awesome cosmin!!! thanks so much....surely I'm not the only person who has scratched their head about this.

keep it loud
- steven
sblack82
was working on the day 1 and 2 lesson and am having a blast but I have noticed that I need some work (perhaps a technical exercise) in using a pedal like in the 3rd section of my day 1 and 2 video.....hitting the 4th string while going down the neck hitting the double stops took me a bit to work out and get coordinated. I have also noticed a similar weakness when working up the neck in a chromatic scale and having to skip strings (like 4th and 6th) while I move the shape down the neck.

I did get it worked out but it did shine light on a weakness i would like to improve upon.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 20 2013, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
awesome cosmin!!! thanks so much....surely I'm not the only person who has scratched their head about this.

keep it loud
- steven

Hey mate - I've been battling a nasty headache today and I am burned out. I will get a good sleep hopefully and get back at ya first thing in the morning smile.gif Thank you!
sblack82
no worries mate!! its always better to be sharp....just gives me more practice time
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 21 2013, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
was working on the day 1 and 2 lesson and am having a blast but I have noticed that I need some work (perhaps a technical exercise) in using a pedal like in the 3rd section of my day 1 and 2 video.....hitting the 4th string while going down the neck hitting the double stops took me a bit to work out and get coordinated. I have also noticed a similar weakness when working up the neck in a chromatic scale and having to skip strings (like 4th and 6th) while I move the shape down the neck.

I did get it worked out but it did shine light on a weakness i would like to improve upon.

Hey mate - here's the video - I hope it clears things up a bit, but as I said, it's a matter of understanding theory and I can help you with things further if you wish:

Regarding the exercise - in order not to shift the focus from the lesson - you can isolate that part and work on it slowly with the metronome. I can also think about some additional exercises, if you wish to develop skills in this area smile.gif What say you?
sblack82
cosmin..

first off, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. secondly, thank you for the video. it cleared things up and makes total sense. as for the theory side of things, I would definitely like to learn it BUT I wouldn't want it to make your ideas for.my personalized plan secondary. I want to play and become a more.proficient player technically and have been tentative about diving into theory because if I wasn't any good at applying it to the guitar then what's the point in knowing it?? I will probably start to dive into then theory side more in depth in "the professors guide to theory" section of the forums and start at the beginning of that as it seems pretty organized. ideally, the way I would like to learn it would be to study a concept and then learn to play a piece that applies it so that I understand how it works in a hands on manner (which is my best way to learn).

if you want to recommend something along those lines as an addition and secondary to backup what you already prescribe as my playing develops and the plan evolves, I would definitely be up for that.

as for exercises, I did go back thru and work on the subsection slowly and that may be the only way for me to develop that skill (repition). it is what I have always done in pieces that I wanted to learn.......just do it slowly until it starts to click. it just takes more time for certain things. I wouldn't mind a string skipping exercise though. I only think it would make me stronger, and it wouldn't take the place of working through the primary lessons. it would be something to help me develop more as I get the prescribed lessons to the point that I can play them fluidly and relaxed and want to put an extra half hour into my session just to push myself a little. I also think that being as technically sound as I can with my playing will only aid me in learning new pieces and make my playing more clear

I know we are talking about a lot but I would rather keep it simple and organized and the theory and technical exercises would not be something I would let take the place of my main lessons as I think that trying to do too much at once will only make it where I'm okay at a few things but master of none......and that would be counter productive.

as I have questions on the theory I will definitely run the ideas by you for discussion and as I get my lessons and playing cleaned IP I will post videos for grading and critique. thanks again for all your help in going out of your way for me.

keep it loud
-steven
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Nava @ Sep 20 2013, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see some real cool lessons here which I never seen before biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Awesume!

Hey mate - are you in for a plan as well? Let me know and I can set you up wink.gif

QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 22 2013, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cosmin..

first off, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. secondly, thank you for the video. it cleared things up and makes total sense. as for the theory side of things, I would definitely like to learn it BUT I wouldn't want it to make your ideas for.my personalized plan secondary. I want to play and become a more.proficient player technically and have been tentative about diving into theory because if I wasn't any good at applying it to the guitar then what's the point in knowing it?? I will probably start to dive into then theory side more in depth in "the professors guide to theory" section of the forums and start at the beginning of that as it seems pretty organized. ideally, the way I would like to learn it would be to study a concept and then learn to play a piece that applies it so that I understand how it works in a hands on manner (which is my best way to learn).

if you want to recommend something along those lines as an addition and secondary to backup what you already prescribe as my playing develops and the plan evolves, I would definitely be up for that.

as for exercises, I did go back thru and work on the subsection slowly and that may be the only way for me to develop that skill (repition). it is what I have always done in pieces that I wanted to learn.......just do it slowly until it starts to click. it just takes more time for certain things. I wouldn't mind a string skipping exercise though. I only think it would make me stronger, and it wouldn't take the place of working through the primary lessons. it would be something to help me develop more as I get the prescribed lessons to the point that I can play them fluidly and relaxed and want to put an extra half hour into my session just to push myself a little. I also think that being as technically sound as I can with my playing will only aid me in learning new pieces and make my playing more clear

I know we are talking about a lot but I would rather keep it simple and organized and the theory and technical exercises would not be something I would let take the place of my main lessons as I think that trying to do too much at once will only make it where I'm okay at a few things but master of none......and that would be counter productive.

as I have questions on the theory I will definitely run the ideas by you for discussion and as I get my lessons and playing cleaned IP I will post videos for grading and critique. thanks again for all your help in going out of your way for me.

keep it loud
-steven

Hey Steven, my friend smile.gif

Regarding The Professor's theory subjects - that's exactly what I had in mind smile.gif Picking up one which seems most interesting to you and after reading through it, I would select a lesson that involves that particular concept.

I say we do it like this: finish the first week schedule and then we can start working as above (lesson and some extra exercises to help you on your way) - deal?

Repetition is always helping, the idea is to practice with mindfulness and not let yourself dragged astray by various sources of distraction (phone, hunger, internet smile.gif) Being technically proficient is ok, but just being technically proficient and not knowing what and why you are doing, is like imitating a language perfectly without having any clue on what you are saying smile.gif So, in my opinion, learning things in the context of applying a theoretical concept is the best way to learn and understand.

The more you show me, the more I am able to help out, so by all means when you feel ready, share your conclusions with me, ok?
sblack82
cosmin.....

yes, we are on the same page for sure. one thing at a time. this week is going pretty well. days 1 and 2 were pretty good and I am going to work later in the week on bringing it up to full speed and post a video. the lessons are easy to follow and I ended up getting about 3 hours each day in, instead of the two I originally planned. my fingers are also beginning to get memory for the riffsand that is definitely making things easier. I am also starting the second video lesson today and have made extra time tonight so that I can really get on it (plus its fun so the time just flies by). I hope to have a video up of both lessons over the next 4 days or so. sooooooo happy you are helping me on my journey!! smile.gifsmile.gif

keep it loud!
-steven
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Steve-o! I am happy you are feeling the progress occurring!

If you get the time, the videos will help a lot as you can always watch them and review the level at which you had the lessons recorded at. The more you do it, the better you will become. I always say this - the recording is a mirror of your playing smile.gif Don't get bummed if you don't always like what you see, but work hard so that you will start liking what you see, more and more smile.gif

keep me posted mate!

Cosmin
sblack82
cosmin...

I plan on getting a few videos soon in the rec section for grading. both from these exercises and from other lessons I have done (basic stuff). funny thing is that the tubes in my amp blew two days ago so its just me and the guitar right now for videos. shouldnt matter though...I'm not shy and know that I've got loads of improving to do if I want to be considered a decent player. no shame in that as long as I keep trying. besides what's the worst someone can say? "oh man.....that's terrible".....so what....I'll just keep trying and post when I improve things. all part of the process.

keep it loud
-steven
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Steven - you are perfectly right smile.gif In order to receive feedback from all of us, you can post the videos in the Practice room, so that everyone can see them. It's always good to know where you stand so that you will know what to work on to get up that ladder at the next level - on the other hand, it would be great if you would post videos in the REC zone, when you have your guitar amplified in such a way that it can be heard against the backing track - maybe you knew this already, but I felt obliged to tell you wink.gif Keep me updated broheim!
Cosmin Lupu
Hey guys!

Here's an AMAZING conclusion video done by mad, regarding the stuff that he has learned after using a practice schedule we have agreed upon. Everything is based on understanding a theoretical concept (The Ionian mode) and applying the practical ideas that came with it - all based on GMC materials - kudos to the Professor for the great theory based lessons!

Cosmin Lupu
Hey Bahadir! As we discussed, I posted the practice plan here switching the topic to emotive ballads instead of fusion wink.gif Let me know what you think mate:

Here's what I have in mind for you:

Spending 6 hrs/ lesson (3 hrs each day) in which you should:

- understand the theoretical concepts
- learn the lesson structure
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track
- work your way up tempo with the available backing tracks

Day 1-2 - Ballad oriented lesson 1 - http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Modern_Ballad_Soloing/

Day 3-4 - Ballad oriented lesson 2 - http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Heavy_..._C_sharp_Minor/

Day 5 - Revision (you practice every lesson, assuming you that you already know their structures and you can play them) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details!

Day 6 - You can take a break from these on this day as the brain needs some time to settle things down - find inspiration in other things - what do you like to do aside playing guitar?

Day 7 - Revision and recording - if you wish - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned in that week wink.gif

How does it sound mate?

Cosmin
bahadirpeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 29 2013, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Bahadir! As we discussed, I posted the practice plan here switching the topic to emotive ballads instead of fusion wink.gif Let me know what you think mate:

Here's what I have in mind for you:

Spending 6 hrs/ lesson (3 hrs each day) in which you should:

- understand the theoretical concepts
- learn the lesson structure
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track

Day 1-2 - Ballad oriented lesson 1 - http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Modern_Ballad_Soloing/

Day 3-4 - Ballad oriented lesson 2 - http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Heavy_..._C_sharp_Minor/

Day 5 - Revision (you practice every lesson, assuming you that you already know their structures and you can play them) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details!

Day 6 - You can take a break from these on this day as the brain needs some time to settle things down - find inspiration in other things - what do you like to do aside playing guitar?

Day 7 - Revision and recording - if you wish - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned in that week wink.gif

How does it sound mate?

Cosmin

Thank you so much Cosmin! I like the plana and I will study absolutely! Maybe I can record a take for the second lesson, it seems very cool! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Awesome mate smile.gif Looking forward to your new recordings and also, please tell me if there's any trouble along the way or if you might have questions wink.gif
saintofbladez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2013, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At times, most people encounter these types of problems when learning to play guitar:

- You are a beginner and you don't know where to start
- You are stuck with a certain area of your playing
- You don't use your practice time as efficiently as possible
- You feel lost because you have started practicing too many things at once and you are nowhere near your desired goal...

We want to help you get on the right track as soon as possible - and for this reason I am offering you a unique opportunity to set up a personalized lesson plan.

Please just answer the questions below, either in this topic or via private message. I will then set you up with a practice regimen consisting of GMC materials, that can cover a week of practice towards your desired goal.

* What gear do you own?

If you can provide audio/ video materials of your playing, it would be very helpful.
If not, we can work things out either way smile.gif

I will try to get back to you as soon as possible, hopefully today already - depending on the amount of applications.

I am looking forward to helping you getting on the right track!

Cosmin

Hey Cosmin,

- Around 2 and a half years. (Over the space of 5 years, I had year long breaks from it etc.)

- Somewhere just above beginner, i suppose with hints of intermediate.

- About 3 hours.

- Bends, sweep picking, legato, pinch harmonics etc.

- Generally my musicianship, I want to be able to learn songs by ear, understand what i'm playing, improvise confidently and play all my favourite songs. I wanna be versatile and not a one trick pony lol.

- Just home playing, I have a YouTube channel that I upload covers to once I learn them.

* What gear do you own?
- Chapman ML-1
- ESP Ltd MH-1000NT
- Line 6 Pod HD 500
- Peavey Vypyr 30

- Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Protest The Hero, Buckethead, Sylosis, The Human Abstract, John Mayer, Opeth, Twelve Foot Ninja, John Petrucci - those are a few favourites anyway.

Yeah I can post videos etc, i'm not sure what the advertising policy is, but here's my YouTube channel so you have an idea of what I have done so far - http://www.youtube.com/user/saintofbladez

Dan smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Dan smile.gif Let's get you in tip top shape - shall we? smile.gif

For a three hour/ day schedule, here's what I have in mind - you said you want to understand. In order to understand, you need to learn how to use and communicate with the language of music. For that you need theory.

In order to understand theory, in respect to your theoretical knowledge so far, I suggest the following idea:

We start working on 2 lessons/ week for which you need to focus on the theoretical aspects as well - can you also tell me what your theory knowledge consists of, so far?

Judging by what I've heard on your YT channel, you are not really that much of a beginner in terms of playing smile.gif Maybe you just feel lost and what you need now would be structure that can help you get closer towards your goals. I see that your articulation is a bit shaky, but you seem to have a good sense of rhythm!

When you approach these lessons, I would like you to keep in mind the following steps:

- understand the theoretical concepts - music is a language and you need to learn how to speak in order to express yourself and communicate with others - see my question above smile.gif
- learn the lesson structure - knowing the parts and which comes after which helps a lot!
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome - pay attention to details in order to make this a one time process - by that, I mean that studying focused will not make you come back and re-learn it as you will not miss anything.
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track - keep the technique consistent at all times so that you will be efficient at the original speed smile.gif

Day 1 and 2 - Lead oriented lesson based on articulation - http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/John-Mayer-Style-Ballad/
Day 3 and 4 - Rhythm oriented lesson - http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Killswitch-Engage-Style/

Day 5 - Revision - use the 3 hours to practice these lessons with all the available backing tracks from slow to fast, focusing on the details, clean playing and good timing!

Day 6 - Break - if you practice too much with real focus, you will feel the need for breaks sometimes. Some people more often than others, but the thing is - the brain needs a time to place things in order. So this might be it wink.gif

Day 7 - Revision and conclusions - at the end of each week, it's good to draw a line and see where you are at, what you have developed and what you can use out of what you have learned. Maybe even shoot a video if you feel like it wink.gif

How does this sound to you mate?

Cosmin
saintofbladez
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 30 2013, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Dan smile.gif Let's get you in tip top shape - shall we? smile.gif

For a three hour/ day schedule, here's what I have in mind - you said you want to understand. In order to understand, you need to learn how to use and communicate with the language of music. For that you need theory.

In order to understand theory, in respect to your theoretical knowledge so far, I suggest the following idea:

We start working on 2 lessons/ week for which you need to focus on the theoretical aspects as well - can you also tell me what your theory knowledge consists of, so far?

Judging by what I've heard on your YT channel, you are not really that much of a beginner in terms of playing smile.gif Maybe you just feel lost and what you need now would be structure that can help you get closer towards your goals. I see that your articulation is a bit shaky, but you seem to have a good sense of rhythm!

When you approach these lessons, I would like you to keep in mind the following steps:

- understand the theoretical concepts - music is a language and you need to learn how to speak in order to express yourself and communicate with others - see my question above smile.gif
- learn the lesson structure - knowing the parts and which comes after which helps a lot!
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome - pay attention to details in order to make this a one time process - by that, I mean that studying focused will not make you come back and re-learn it as you will not miss anything.
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track - keep the technique consistent at all times so that you will be efficient at the original speed smile.gif

Day 1 and 2 - Lead oriented lesson based on articulation - http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/John-Mayer-Style-Ballad/
Day 3 and 4 - Rhythm oriented lesson - http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Killswitch-Engage-Style/

Day 5 - Revision - use the 3 hours to practice these lessons with all the available backing tracks from slow to fast, focusing on the details, clean playing and good timing!

Day 6 - Break - if you practice too much with real focus, you will feel the need for breaks sometimes. Some people more often than others, but the thing is - the brain needs a time to place things in order. So this might be it wink.gif

Day 7 - Revision and conclusions - at the end of each week, it's good to draw a line and see where you are at, what you have developed and what you can use out of what you have learned. Maybe even shoot a video if you feel like it wink.gif

How does this sound to you mate?

Cosmin

Hey man,

This sounds great, you're pretty accurate in that i'm lost smile.gif
My knowledge on theory is pretty limited, I kind of know how to build major and minor chords, I know the 5 pentatonic shapes, i'm getting to grips with learning the fretboard, aaand that's pretty much it. Like I said, limited.
Also i'm useless with a metronome, I know it's pretty much blasphemy but i've never really used one :/

Dan smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.