Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jamming With The Dinosaurs
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Blue Willy
This historic video was made on 15 July, 1984 at a free concert in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. I'm sitting in on vocal and guitar with the all star band, the Dinosaurs composed of Barry Melton, guitar (from Country Joe & the Fish); John Cipollina, guitar (from Quicksilver Messenger Service); Peter Albin, bass (from Big Brother & the Holding Company) and Spencer Dryden, drums (from Jefferson Airplane). I had played with the '60s San Francisco band the Charlatans. We played the Robert Johnson blues tune, When You Got A Good Friend. The only discussion beforehand was me telling the band, "Key of A." This is the kind of jam that can never happen again...both Cipollina and Dryden are deceased and free concerts in the park are a thing of the past. The last concert held in Golden Gate Park had a $125 ticket price.

coffeeman
QUOTE (Blue Willy @ Sep 12 2013, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This historic video was made on 15 July, 1984 at a free concert in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. I'm sitting in on vocal and guitar with the all star band, the Dinosaurs composed of Barry Melton, guitar (from Country Joe & the Fish); John Cipollina, guitar (from Quicksilver Messenger Service); Peter Albin, bass (from Big Brother & the Holding Company) and Spencer Dryden, drums (from Jefferson Airplane). I had played with the '60s San Francisco band the Charlatans. We played the Robert Johnson blues tune, When You Got A Good Friend. The only discussion beforehand was me telling the band, "Key of A." This is the kind of jam that can never happen again...both Cipollina and Dryden are deceased and free concerts in the park are a thing of the past. The last concert held in Golden Gate Park had a $125 ticket price.

That was awesome what a great jam and memory man! I visited San Francisco in april and I loved that city, I went to this bar I think was called the saloon and there was a really cool blues band playing that night, they say it is the oldest bar in the city. Loved that city.

Thanks for sharing such a cool story and jam!
Darius Wave
I was exaclty 3 months old back than (born on 15th of April) so I was busy sucking mom's milk...didn'tinterest in music yet tongue.gif Very cool performance smile.gif
Blue Willy
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Sep 12 2013, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was awesome what a great jam and memory man! I visited San Francisco in april and I loved that city, I went to this bar I think was called the saloon and there was a really cool blues band playing that night, they say it is the oldest bar in the city. Loved that city.

Thanks for sharing such a cool story and jam!

The 1232 Saloon at 1232 Grant Ave. has been a blues bar for as long as I can remember...we used to call it The 1232 but these days everyone calls it The Saloon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.