Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 40 Power Metal Bands
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2
superize
I Think we need a thread for this lesson so that people who are working on it can share their progress.

I have laerned 20 parts so far and are practising them togheter at 115 bbm. I am having very big problmes with the sweep picking in the dragonforce part. It is very fast and the 5 string thing is so hard to play even at a slower tempo so i am working on that seperatly.

Anybody else working on this?
superize
This is a recording of the 23 first bands played at 125 bpm

https://soundcloud.com/isac-lundqvist/power...l-bands-125-bpm
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Superize!! It's has been a great idea to start this thread!! smile.gif I will monitoring this one all the time to give feedback and suggestions to help you master this lesson.

I checked your take at Soundcloud and I must say that you are doing a very good job. You've already learnt a lot of sections! Well done!! I can notice that Sweep Picking licks (Rhapsody & Dragonforce) are giving you some trouble and that's normal because these are them trickier parts. You definitely have to isolate both parts and work on them over metronome.

I don't find other important issues in the take, just this details:

- Blind Guardian: There are some differences in the melody's rhythm.
-Grave Digger: You are playing the "bagpipes" melodies with a different rhythm.
-Primal Fear: The last fast lick needs some adjustment.
-Epica: There is one wrong note at 03:55 and 04:02.
-Avantasia: The rhythm is different.
-Firewind: The AP pattern needs some adjustment.
-Yngwie Malmsteen: Be careful with the timing of the first lick.

That's all, keep on the hard work!
superize
Thanks for all your inputs Gabriel. I know i still got alot of work to do on most of the parts thats why i record myself so that i can hear them.

I really hope some more people will join this thread so that we can help each other out
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (superize @ Oct 9 2013, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all your inputs Gabriel. I know i still got alot of work to do on most of the parts thats why i record myself so that i can hear them.

I really hope some more people will join this thread so that we can help each other out

Me too!! Who else is working on this one??
Nava
I am amazed that you take this lesson Superize smile.gif
All cred to you!!
Unfortunately, I cannont take this. First of all its hard tongue.gif and the second is that I have sooo many lessons to work on!
But I will follow this closely, cause power metal is one of the genres I love (if its good).
Best of luck to you though!
Sounds great btw biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Superize! As this is a practice thread I wanted to share with you a midi file of the backing track of this lesson. It includes drums, bass and all orquestal, synth and piano arrangements. You can use it for practising at different tempos, create loops for the trickier parts and also to see how I worked those arrangements.

Click to view attachment

superize
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 10 2013, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Superize! As this is a practice thread I wanted to share with you a midi file of the backing track of this lesson. It includes drums, bass and all orquestal, synth and piano arrangements. You can use it for practising at different tempos, create loops for the trickier parts and also to see how I worked those arrangements.

Click to view attachment

It seems that there is only piano in this midi.

As a Little update i have learned 30 parts of the lesson and i am trying to learn to connect them togheter. When i have learned all the parts i will start working on the things i have problem with and really focus on them.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (superize @ Oct 13 2013, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems that there is only piano in this midi.

Hi mate, this file need to be open with a daw. There you will have all the tracks separated and you can assign different instruments (ez drummer for drums, hallion for other instruments, even you can use your soundcard's midi synth) and you are also able to edit them, change tempo, tonality, and make loops. Does it make sense?

QUOTE (superize @ Oct 13 2013, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a Little update i have learned 30 parts of the lesson and i am trying to learn to connect them togheter. When i have learned all the parts i will start working on the things i have problem with and really focus on them.

This sounds really good! The best would be to create a backing loop for the trickier parts like Rhapsody and Dragonforce and add both of them to your diary routine. That's why I was thinking that having the midi file would be good. You can export a loop of the backing at many tempos.

When is the new audio sample coming? smile.gif
superize
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 13 2013, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mate, this file need to be open with a daw. There you will have all the tracks separated and you can assign different instruments (ez drummer for drums, hallion for other instruments, even you can use your soundcard's midi synth) and you are also able to edit them, change tempo, tonality, and make loops. Does it make sense?

This sounds really good! The best would be to create a backing loop for the trickier parts like Rhapsody and Dragonforce and add both of them to your diary routine. That's why I was thinking that having the midi file would be good. You can export a loop of the backing at many tempos.

When is the new audio sample coming? smile.gif

Yeah that make sense.

I might make a new audio sample tonight
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (superize @ Oct 14 2013, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah that make sense.

I might make a new audio sample tonight

Cool! Looking forward it! smile.gif
superize
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 15 2013, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here it is

http://snd.sc/1bv7krQ

This is the full lesson played at 125 bpm. I skipped the sweep picking part in the Dragonforce lesson since i cant play that at all at this speed.

Its recorded in one take except for the last two bands since i fucked up pretty bad on thoose
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (superize @ Oct 15 2013, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here it is

http://snd.sc/1bv7krQ

This is the full lesson played at 125 bpm. I skipped the sweep picking part in the Dragonforce lesson since i cant play that at all at this speed.

Its recorded in one take except for the last two bands since i fucked up pretty bad on thoose

Awesome job mate!! I think that most of the parts are sounding perfect now! You will have to start a strong Sweep Picking training if you want to master the Rhapsody an Dragonforce parts. I think that the other parts are ready for a faster tempo. Keep on the great job!
superize
I have increased the tempo the 140 bpm.

The dragonforce sweep picking part i can play at about 80 bpm. its a very slow process

https://soundcloud.com/isac-lundqvist/power-metal-140-bpm
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Ize and Gabe smile.gif First off, congrats to Ize for the endeavor - if you master it, you are one hell of a player, mate biggrin.gif

Now, I would like you guys to receive Opetholic in this thread as he is working on the lesson as well and he did a great job so far smile.gif He doesn't know about this thread probably, so I recommended it to him. Here's his take:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...sg&id=34020
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 23 2013, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Ize and Gabe smile.gif First off, congrats to Ize for the endeavor - if you master it, you are one hell of a player, mate biggrin.gif

Now, I would like you guys to receive Opetholic in this thread as he is working on the lesson as well and he did a great job so far smile.gif He doesn't know about this thread probably, so I recommended it to him. Here's his take:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...sg&id=34020

Cool to know that he is working on the lesson too!! The link is not working for me.

QUOTE (superize @ Oct 23 2013, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The dragonforce sweep picking part i can play at about 80 bpm. its a very slow process

Hey mate! congrats on this take! except for those sweeps the other parts are sounding really good!! How many time a day are you practicing this one?
Gabriel Leopardi
I found Opetholic's link!

https://soundcloud.com/opetholic/40-metal-bands-practice-115
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (superize @ Oct 23 2013, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isac - this is an epic journey! smile.gif

I fully support you towards mastering this lesson. Your playing sounds very good for the most part. I especially like the fast riffing parts, your rhythm is very tight. Keep practicing by isolating problematic parts and please keep us updated here in the thread with your progress.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 23 2013, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isac - this is an epic journey! smile.gif

I fully support you towards mastering this lesson. Your playing sounds very good for the most part. I especially like the fast riffing parts, your rhythm is very tight. Keep practicing by isolating problematic parts and please keep us updated here in the thread with your progress.

yeah! it's really cool to see that 2 GMCers are already working on this one! I hope to see more guys submitting takes here!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 23 2013, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wrote him about this thread in a PM smile.gif Let's hope he doesn't shy away and he will come over and talk about his progress!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 24 2013, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wrote him about this thread in a PM smile.gif Let's hope he doesn't shy away and he will come over and talk about his progress!

yeah, he contacted me at the same time that you posted his links here so I've already given feedback to him via PM. He is doing a very good job, let's see if he joins us here.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 24 2013, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, he contacted me at the same time that you posted his links here so I've already given feedback to him via PM. He is doing a very good job, let's see if he joins us here.

He has great AP technique indeed smile.gif I'm trying to get him more on the articulation side as he could use some work to get it up to the level of his AP tongue.gif Let's see what he's going to say wink.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 25 2013, 05:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He has great AP technique indeed smile.gif I'm trying to get him more on the articulation side as he could use some work to get it up to the level of his AP tongue.gif Let's see what he's going to say wink.gif

Let's wait if he finally visit us here... biggrin.gif
Opetholic
Hey guys smile.gif wow thanks for all the comments smile.gif I am working on the lesson indeed. I will post my progress.. As Cosmin says I need to work on my articulation a lot! Also the sweeps smile.gif

I will post here what I have so far one of these days..
superize
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Oct 26 2013, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys smile.gif wow thanks for all the comments smile.gif I am working on the lesson indeed. I will post my progress.. As Cosmin says I need to work on my articulation a lot! Also the sweeps smile.gif

Great to see that i am not alone working on this. How many parts have youe learned so far?
Opetholic
So far I have learned 15 parts smile.gif I am no where near the end yet..
Here is what I have so far
Click to view attachment
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Oct 26 2013, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Opetholic @ Oct 26 2013, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So far I have learned 15 parts smile.gif I am no where near the end yet..
Here is what I have so far
Click to view attachment

yeah, there are some sections that need some more work but there are some others that are already sounding killer. I think that you should create loops with the trickier parts. I shared the midi file in this thread. If you open it with a Daw, you can assign the midi channels to drums, bass and orquestal intruments and create your own backing loops at every tempo.

PS: Check out the lead melody in Rage's part. It's a bit different.
Cosmin Lupu
I will be around here too tongue.gif Watching and listening smile.gif Mert and Ize, you are on the good path, so keep pushing! Hope you didn't mind I took the liberty of posting your take here, Mert
Opetholic
Hey Cosmin, it is great that you stick around in this forum also smile.gif Would be great to have your feedback.. And no, not at all, I am glad you posted here my take smile.gif Thanks !!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 27 2013, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be around here too tongue.gif Watching and listening smile.gif Mert and Ize, you are on the good path, so keep pushing! Hope you didn't mind I took the liberty of posting your take here, Mert

Cosmin Lupu
Anytime mate smile.gif We'll keep in touch here regarding this lesson, so let me know when you post a new recording wink.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
I am here monitoring this one! Any news guys?
Opetholic
Here is what I have so far. I play it at 145 bpm..
Click to view attachment
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 28 2013, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am here monitoring this one! Any news guys?

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Oct 29 2013, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is what I have so far. I play it at 145 bpm..
Click to view attachment

Hi mate! This is great! You are getting closer to the main tempo!! The overall is sounding very well and I think that there are a few parts that need more work. Here some parts that I think have issues.

Stratovarius: Last lick - sync between both hands issues
Gamma Ray: first lick - sync between both hands issues
Rhapsody: Sweep Picking needs work
Dragonforce: Very close!!
Edguy: Some wrong notes
Rage: Last melody timing issues
Firewind: Timing issues
Opetholic
Thanks for comments Gab!! I agree with them all. I will post something new this weekend with of course more bands worked out smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 30 2013, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mate! This is great! You are getting closer to the main tempo!! The overall is sounding very well and I think that there are a few parts that need more work. Here some parts that I think have issues.

Stratovarius: Last lick - sync between both hands issues
Gamma Ray: first lick - sync between both hands issues
Rhapsody: Sweep Picking needs work
Dragonforce: Very close!!
Edguy: Some wrong notes
Rage: Last melody timing issues
Firewind: Timing issues

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Oct 30 2013, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for comments Gab!! I agree with them all. I will post something new this weekend with of course more bands worked out smile.gif

Cosmin Lupu
Mert - got an idea. Since you are close to nailing the parts, it could be a good idea to record over the original lesson and thus noticing where you still need to work smile.gif This sort of comparison is always a good starting point to figure out tiny details wink.gif
Opetholic
Hey Cosmin, brilliant idea. I will do that while I am practicing it at full tempo smile.gif
Ok here again at 145 bpm. This time there are more bands (25) but I messed up in this recording the last few tongue.gif
I have also practiced the lesson at full speed and I can play it but I will post that once I am done with all the bands.
Here we go
Click to view attachment
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 31 2013, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mert - got an idea. Since you are close to nailing the parts, it could be a good idea to record over the original lesson and thus noticing where you still need to work smile.gif This sort of comparison is always a good starting point to figure out tiny details wink.gif

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 2 2013, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Cosmin, brilliant idea. I will do that while I am practicing it at full tempo smile.gif
Ok here again at 145 bpm. This time there are more bands (25) but I messed up in this recording the last few tongue.gif
I have also practiced the lesson at full speed and I can play it but I will post that once I am done with all the bands.
Here we go
Click to view attachment

Hi mate, I'm impressed of how fast you are adjusting this lesson. All the parts that I marked before are better now and even the trickier sections are getting very close. I agree with Cosmin about recording a version at tempo to find the real problems and work on them isolated.
Congrats on your great job!!
Cosmin Lupu
Hehe biggrin.gif great job mate - you are getting there fast! I am glad you like my idea and I'm curious to hear it in action - also glad you decided to share your progress in this thread and it's only a matter of practice till you get this one under your thumb. A lot of the stuff played in here is based on AP which as we all know, is your strong point!
superize
Been a while since i last wrote in this thread so i thought i would give you an update on my progress.

I am mainly focusing on the sweep picking in the dragonforce part. I can play it at 100 bpm at the moment.

I am also trying to work on the trickier parts in the lesson so that i can play them better. Other then that its not much to tell.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (superize @ Nov 6 2013, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been a while since i last wrote in this thread so i thought i would give you an update on my progress.

I am mainly focusing on the sweep picking in the dragonforce part. I can play it at 100 bpm at the moment.

I am also trying to work on the trickier parts in the lesson so that i can play them better. Other then that its not much to tell.

Hey Ize smile.gif isolating the difficult parts and getting them up to speed as well as polishing the articulation elements present in the context is always a good approach wink.gif Keep at it and let us know when it's good to go - maybe even record those parts exclusively?
Opetholic
Ok here is my attempt at 150bpm. There are 39 bands covered and I messed up the last one as usual tongue.gif Other than that also there are mess ups here and there. I will learn the last section tomorrow and practice the whole thing at 150 bpm for the whole week and then next weekend I should post something better smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 10 2013, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok here is my attempt at 150bpm. There are 39 bands covered and I messed up the last one as usual tongue.gif Other than that also there are mess ups here and there. I will learn the last section tomorrow and practice the whole thing at 150 bpm for the whole week and then next weekend I should post something better smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Hi mate! I got this one. It's great to see you working hard! I will give you feedback on 12th when I'm back home.
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Mert smile.gif

Gave things a listen and I honestly think that the real obstacle here is not the technical side of things, but the length of the whole thing - I noticed the hickups and I know you know them too biggrin.gif But this is more of a mental challenge in my opinion, because things sound great in a proportion of 95%

It will probably take some time to bring this to perfection due to heavy focusing, but I think you are up to the challenge! Let's see what Gabe says biggrin.gif
Opetholic
Hey Cosmin,
Thanks for the thoughts smile.gif you are absolutely right. The whole piece is so long, at some point it is almost impossible not to make a mistake smile.gif But well we will see.. I learned the last section as well so now I can play the whole thing. I will practice this week and lets see how it is by the end of the week..

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 11 2013, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Mert smile.gif

Gave things a listen and I honestly think that the real obstacle here is not the technical side of things, but the length of the whole thing - I noticed the hickups and I know you know them too biggrin.gif But this is more of a mental challenge in my opinion, because things sound great in a proportion of 95%

It will probably take some time to bring this to perfection due to heavy focusing, but I think you are up to the challenge! Let's see what Gabe says biggrin.gif

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 11 2013, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Cosmin,
Thanks for the thoughts smile.gif you are absolutely right. The whole piece is so long, at some point it is almost impossible not to make a mistake smile.gif But well we will see.. I learned the last section as well so now I can play the whole thing. I will practice this week and lets see how it is by the end of the week..

Great mate biggrin.gif Let's see a complete version and try to focus on anticipating the parts or you can even write down a structure that you can have in front of you while recording - something that will remind you of the places where you have to pay more attention..? I did that with the Pantera songs and at some point, I got it memorized and I didn't need he paper anymore smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! I could hear the whole thing now and I can say that I agree 100% with Cosmin. You don't seem to have important techniques limitations but there are parts that aren't tight and some wrong notes. I think that it's something that will disappear once you can anticipate the parts enough and the best way to do this would be to divide the whole thing in blocks... I was thinking on 3 big parts and loop them. That's how it worked for me. Once you are very familiar with each of the 3 blocks, it will be easier to play the whole thing.

That's my suggestion but you can keep on working on your way because you are getting good results and I think that you are getting closer and closer. Well done!! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Now that we know Gabe thinks the same, it's clear that you are on the good way smile.gif Keep at it and let us know wink.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
I wonder about Superize! It's been a while since he posted at this thread. I'll send him a PM to know about his progress. smile.gif

QUOTE (superize @ Nov 6 2013, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hehe I missed this post while I was out. Great to hear from you mate. Keep us updated!!
Opetholic
Ok here is another take. Still at 150 bpm and still far from perfect. I messed it up pretty badly in a couple of places in this take...I am able to play it at full tempo but I haven't recorded that yet. I also practice using Cosmin's suggestion, playing up to tempo along with Gabs original take. It is going fine.. I think in a month or so with practicing like I am now I should be ready for a rec take, fingers crossed biggrin.gif
Here it is
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.