Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Strings
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
ElHombre
There 1 error that keeps me from doing this myself wink.gif
When Im about to insert the string in the knob and start turning

Is there anyone who knows a good close up Video of this?
And not someone that involves turning, twisting and stuff

I watched at the guitar shop, they just put it in, held a finger or something on and turned
Taka Perry
Well, there are different ways of doing them, but after a few times, it becomes natural. All the methods will involve turning and twisting though ohmy.gif
PosterBoy
It doesn't matter that this is for acoustic guitar. Watch from 3:00

I use the method he uses for the low E on the Low E and A and the one he uses for the A string on all the rest

klasaine
I do what he does for the low A on all my strings (with post like that).
I don't put more than 2 or 3 wraps on the low E so it doesn't get messy.
Cosmin Lupu
Hey mate - for me, it's always the same smile.gif Wrap the string around the knob for about - 3-4 times and then insert it in the hole, holding the loose end tight and then starting to turn the key.

I will buy new strings soon and I'll remember to make a vid with the procedure smile.gif
ElHombre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrLKlJS1wEo

Here around 1:40 was a more easy methode without a lock
I suppose this will do as well?
klasaine
The 'lock' is only really necessary on the G B and high E strings.
Darius Wave
This is pretty much what I do at least for tuning pegs

Cosmin Lupu
I think Darius' vid sums things up wink.gif It's a real woosh to change strings on a normal guitar, but when you have to deal with a floyd system, it's a lot more fussy, as you need to watch out for calibrating it.

Out of curiosity, how do you guys place the strings in the floyd - do you cut the ball end or place the string in such a way that it goes through the hole in the headstock while leaving the ball end there and placing the free end into the floyd slot?
sammetal92
I just measure how much play I need in the string and then I put a 90 degree bent at that exact location. I put the string in the peg's hole without letting the bend go through and then from the other end I put another hard bend in the string way over 90 degrees. Then You can literally lift the guitar up with the string and it won't come off. Plus its a breeze when you're taking the strings off because you don't have to deal with untying knots smile.gif

I'll find a video for you, I learned this off a youtube video.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Nov 10 2013, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just measure how much play I need in the string and then I put a 90 degree bent at that exact location. I put the string in the peg's hole without letting the bend go through and then from the other end I put another hard bend in the string way over 90 degrees. Then You can literally lift the guitar up with the string and it won't come off. Plus its a breeze when you're taking the strings off because you don't have to deal with untying knots smile.gif

I'll find a video for you, I learned this off a youtube video.

Alright mate - post it here wink.gif I'm sure everyone can benefit!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.