Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extensive Scale Drills
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
PosterBoy
I've had more time to practice in the last couple weeks and again I start drilling scales, straight up and down and in intervallic sequences (mainly 3rds and 4ths), to help my fretboard knowledge, my alt picking and my left hand fingering.

I found a very extensive pdf outlining a lot of possibilities so I thought I'd share.

I can see that to focus just on doing this there would probably be a point where the returns don't outweigh the time spent. but adding to a warm up or scales practice and putting them in rotation would be very useful.
Cosmin Lupu
Ohohoo! This can spark up some great ideas man biggrin.gif Thanks a lot! Where did ya find this document?
PosterBoy
I was just searching around for scale interval sequences and came across it.

Looks like it's from pbguitarstudio.com
There are other materials there too
Storm Linnebjerg
I feel stupid. I'm not getting these patterns with the 1-2, 2-3 etc.
PosterBoy
ok so that one you used as an example isn't the best but look at the ones in 3rds

Take the major scale, play the first note then the 3rd then the 2nd then the 4th and so one. Rather than just playing the major scale you do it in different intervals

Also it shows doing it sequentially in intervals so taking 3rds again

play the 1st, 2nd and 3rd note of the major scale then 2nd 3rd and 4th, then 3rd 4th 5th etc

it'll give you a solid right and left hand workout going through all the major scale positions in different intervals and sequences, and much more beneficial than just running the scales up and down.

You can use this for any scale, a lot of solos will use these ideas especially using the pentatonics.

It might make a good basis for a workshop series (although it might be a little dull) or a Vchat
Socky42
Wow, this is great, will really help with my improvising. Thanks for this!

Looks like the guy that made this had a video to go with it.

edit: huh..turns out he taught Buckethead at one point laugh.gif
PosterBoy
Awesome find Socky.

That really helps to have the video too
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Nov 23 2013, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, this is great, will really help with my improvising. Thanks for this!

Looks like the guy that made this had a video to go with it.

edit: huh..turns out he taught Buckethead at one point laugh.gif

Absolutely great find man - it's ALWAYS a plus to see and hear what you need to play smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Hey guys! Fantastic stuff here! This is a great training and it's cool to have it all together in a pdf and video. I'm working on guitar routines at my Vchat sessions and Army, so if you excuse me, I will incorporate this to them because it's a good complement to my Intensive Technique Course. smile.gif

Thanks for sharing!!
Cosmin Lupu
Might be I'll join the chat too if I am home - I'd be curious to see what you have in mind regarding these, Gabe biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.