Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Less Is More Competition
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Bogdan Radovic
'Less is more' competition

By playing less, you will quickly get better. Read on to find out how.

Challenge rules:

1. Find a backing track that you like from any of the lessons in our archive
2. Record a video of yourself playing a rhythm or lead over the backing track
3. Play as simple as possible in your take.
4. Upload your take to Youtube and post the link in this thread to enter the competition

Goal:

The goal is absolute simplicity. The less notes you play the better. Use the power of melody and expression to achieve the best results, while keeping it simple. Let you music breathe with long pauses, and carefully chosen notes/chords/bends/vibrato .

We all tend to play a bit too much at times, and this challenge is about the complete opposite: playing as little as possible. This can be as hard as playing flashy licks - taming ourselves is something we often forget to do, even though it probably is the most efficient path towards making progress.

Therefore - we hope that you'll take part in this challenge and that we'll inspire you to think in new terms and approach guitar playing from a different perspective.

Instructions:

* Playing should be as simple as possible

* Recording should be done in video format. Must be a brand new recording, specifically recorded for this occasion.

* You can choose any backing track from the archive.

* Winners will be chosen by GMC Staff and based on the impression we get from your performance and ability to play less...but make it sound more.

* Deadline : 2nd of January 2014.

THE PRIZES

1st prize

Click to view attachment

Completely custom made per your desire signature guitar pick from Vonhotch Custom Designs.

2nd prize

Click to view attachment

Cirse - Rompiente album signed by Gabriel Leopardi

3rd prize

Click to view attachment

1 Year Gift Subscription to Guitar Player Magazine

Who is up for the challenge?

EDIT: competition results here
Monica Gheorghevici

Great idea for this competition, Bogdan!!!! When it's a challenge I will surely be in wink.gif

Darius Wave
Awesome new thing for GMC smile.gif Can't wait to see some takes smile.gif I know some users that have a really nice touch to phrasing thing smile.gif
Slavenko Erazer
How can less be more? It's Impossible!? MORE IS more !!! laugh.gif
Ben Higgins
Sounds great !

Ok.. so who's gonna do it ?

Who's gonna do.. The ONE NOTE SOLO !
Darius Wave
You could as Edge from U2....He would win with his "with or without You" feedback things biggrin.gif
Huargo
Very good Idea!!!
i'll try.
Sensible Jones
I think I'll give it a go!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Dec 2 2013, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can less be more? It's Impossible!? MORE IS more !!! laugh.gif

haha Yngwie is not invited to this one! tongue.gif
Mertay
Pretty smart idea to boost members composition/musicality a step further smile.gif
Darius Wave
Just a little tip - less notes doesn't mean less articulation smile.gif Try to impress us with tone control and color available in whole articulation box smile.gif
sammetal92
Less, as in using less notes and less shredding techniques, right? smile.gif

I'm gonna try taking part in this, but I think its gonna be hard... I've been working on my shred techniques lately, so we'll see soon enough biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Dec 3 2013, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Less, as in using less notes and less shredding techniques, right? smile.gif

I'm gonna try taking part in this, but I think its gonna be hard... I've been working on my shred techniques lately, so we'll see soon enough biggrin.gif

Less is more. Sometimes we think that it's something difficult, we can say, how will I do to make a solo with a few notes that can blow everybody's minds??

The answer to this question is simple: be yourself. I'm sure that if I ask you to sing the first melody that comes to your mind over a backing track you wont sing a million of notes in a second. You won't make your mouth sound like a machine gun. You will sing something nice, something melodic. This melody talks much more about yourself than a machine gun effect.

I think that if everything goes well, we will have many unique takes over this backing... forget the pre-conceived patterns and let your soul express. smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Awesome to have you in everyone! smile.gif

Please feel free to take any approach you find interesting as "simplicity" can be very personal and subjective matter.
When I compose my lines, I usually first come up with something that I like and then I start taking out the unnecessary notes in order to make it sound more effective and easier to play on the instrument. I have learned that I usually come up with more then its needed for the song.

Again - possibilities here are endless as well as possible choice for the backing track in the GMC archive so please give it a shot if you can, you might be surprised by the results! smile.gif

Who else is in?
DeGroot
I'll give it a shot. Count me in! smile.gif
Doug Lane
Things are looking hectic for the next couple weeks, but I'll do my best to try and submit an entry. Can I make my own backing track for it if I choose?
bahadirpeker
There are lots of good backing tracks and it's very difficult which one to choose! Especially after Darius' Vchat, I realize that a lot of GMC backing tracks can suit the competition!
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Dec 5 2013, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Things are looking hectic for the next couple weeks, but I'll do my best to try and submit an entry. Can I make my own backing track for it if I choose?

Sure - you can do this as well!

QUOTE (bahadirpeker @ Dec 5 2013, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are lots of good backing tracks and it's very difficult which one to choose! Especially after Darius' Vchat, I realize that a lot of GMC backing tracks can suit the competition!

Yeah - the possibilities are endless. What can also be interesting is to choose a busy backing track and play "less" smile.gif
vonhotch
Great idea for a contest. Good luck everyone. smile.gif
Headbanger
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Dec 5 2013, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great idea for a contest. Good luck everyone. smile.gif

I dont suppose you will get 1st prize VH! laugh.gif
(Haha or me)
vonhotch
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Dec 5 2013, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont suppose you will get 1st prize VH! laugh.gif
(Haha or me)

Ha ha. Might be the only way for me to actually finish making myself a custom one. laugh.gif

But seriously, I am looking forward to making one for whoever does win. Going to be fun. smile.gif
gregc1
This is a great idea! Really looking forward to hearing what everybody comes up with.
Gabriel Leopardi
Hey guys! As you can see, one of the prizes is the album of my band. I would like to invite you to join my Army is you want my support on composing the solo for this competition. You can send me a personal message and I will give you tips and feedback. No matter your current level, don't be shy! smile.gif
Darius Wave
Same with me. Everybody's invited wink.gif Wanna work on You competition approach? Sign in for the thread wink.gif
Doug Lane
Hey guys! Hope everyone is having fun getting down with the slowness smile.gif I've finally worked out a way where I can finally record my video the same time as my audio without destroying the quality of my product. That being said, this take is less perfect than my usual entries, but I feel that it is necessary for me to get in the habit if recording this way for own benefit. I chose the backing track for "Melodic Yoppe" . Hope I kept it simple enough for y'all! enjoy.
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Dec 9 2013, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys! Hope everyone is having fun getting down with the slowness smile.gif I've finally worked out a way where I can finally record my video the same time as my audio without destroying the quality of my product. That being said, this take is less perfect than my usual entries, but I feel that it is necessary for me to get in the habit if recording this way for own benefit. I chose the backing track for "Melodic Yoppe" . Hope I kept it simple enough for y'all! enjoy.

Very nice and creative take Mr. Doug!
Congratulations on breaking the ice in this competition smile.gif

It's good to hear that you have mastered a process of recording live guitar, you had a very good sound in this video.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Dec 9 2013, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey mate! Great to find a first take for this one! You did a very nice job. Your playing is very melodic and tasty.
Thanks for joining!! smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Who else is planning to enter? smile.gif
Storm Linnebjerg
I'll give it a go for sure. Not been active much in the last month or so, but I'm in.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 12 2013, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll give it a go for sure. Not been active much in the last month or so, but I'm in.

Cool!!!! Looking forward your take! smile.gif
bleez
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 12 2013, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who else is planning to enter? smile.gif

I've been working on a couple of ideas, if I can get them sounding good , I'll give it a go smile.gif
I really like the concept of 'less is more', very cool.
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 12 2013, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome to have you in! smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 12 2013, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been working on a couple of ideas, if I can get them sounding good , I'll give it a go smile.gif

You should record what you come up with, I'm sure it'll be interesting smile.gif
Simplicity and how we perceive it can be very different for each musician.
Sensible Jones
I'm working on mine, will have it up by next week!
biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 12 2013, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Dec 13 2013, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm working on mine, will have it up by next week!
biggrin.gif

Cool guys!! Nice news. smile.gif
Darius Wave
Well Doug...that was tasty smile.gif Good luck then:D
maharzan
I am in too. smile.gif
Monica Gheorghevici
This is my approach for "Less is More". Was a huge pleasure to make my take for this competition and I enjoyed every minute from the composing process. Sorry because I look very tired in this video but.... I'm very tired and one of my photo light it's not working anymore laugh.gif
Thank you Darek for your big support smile.gif You are an awesome instructor and You are always guilty for my progress smile.gif
Returning to my take, because I really love Piotr Kaczor lessons, I chose one of his awesome backing track from the lesson "Whammy Bar Phrasing" smile.gif

Insidious
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Dec 13 2013, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is my approach for "Less is More". Was a huge pleasure to make my take for this competition and I enjoyed every minute from the composing process. Sorry because I look very tired in this video but.... I'm very tired and one of my photo light it's not working anymore laugh.gif Thank you Darek for your big support smile.gif You are an awesome instructor and You are always guilty for my progress smile.gif Returning to my take, because I really love Piotr Kaczor lessons, I chose one of his awesome backing track from the lesson "Whammy Bar Phrasing" smile.gif

That sounds so good Monica! Love the tone!
Fayeed Tan
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 2 2013, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds great !

Ok.. so who's gonna do it ?

Who's gonna do.. The ONE NOTE SOLO !

LOL DUDE! laugh.gif

Someone should play the ONE NOTE SAMBA with the ONE NOTE SOLO laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Oh my God, Ben I can't stop laughing here biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Monica Gheorghevici
QUOTE (Insidious @ Dec 13 2013, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sounds so good Monica! Love the tone!

Thank you so much smile.gif I'm very happy you like it smile.gif

Darius Wave
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 12 2013, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Your need any help just send me a message. Maybe I could help I bit wink.gif

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Dec 13 2013, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is my approach for "Less is More". Was a huge pleasure to make my take for this competition and I enjoyed every minute from the composing process. Sorry because I look very tired in this video but.... I'm very tired and one of my photo light it's not working anymore laugh.gif
Thank you Darek for your big support smile.gif You are an awesome instructor and You are always guilty for my progress smile.gif
Returning to my take, because I really love Piotr Kaczor lessons, I chose one of his awesome backing track from the lesson "Whammy Bar Phrasing" smile.gif

I think I already said everything in messages and FB so...just wanted to congratulate You for Your great work smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Very interesting backing track choice and solo Monica! smile.gif
Great to have you in this competition.
Timmez
So here is my improvisation.

I don't go for the competition because i know that i'm not on that level, but i just want to try it and hear what you think about it.

The backing track is: Bending ballad from max sokolov.

Grtzz Tim

I don,t know why i can't see my video but here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DTboRnL9fU

grtzz tim
Storm Linnebjerg
Here's what I'm working on:

klasaine
I'm not entering the competition because playing 'less' is kinda my modus operandi.
But I thought I'd challenge myself to play it all on one string (3rd - G) and use an E-Bow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBow

I used Jonathan Burgos' really cool Minor Funk backing track http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Minor-Funk-Solo/

https://soundcloud.com/klasaine2/ebow-fusion
bahadirpeker
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Dec 13 2013, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great entry Monica, so tasty!
bleez
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 15 2013, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dude, that's very awesome ohmy.gif
bahadirpeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 15 2013, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah man! That's cool!
klasaine
You should absolutely participate in the competition.
That's f'n beautiful!

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 14 2013, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't go for the competition because i know that i'm not on that level, but i just want to try it and hear what you think about it.

Grtzz Tim

I don,t know why i can't see my video but here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DTboRnL9fU

grtzz tim

Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 14 2013, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grtzz Tim

grtzz tim

We should consider this one as entry to the competition. This is not a regular competition rather more of a challenge so everyone wins in the end - its just that some will also get neat prizes along the way smile.gif

Great to see your take, it is very cool! smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.