Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting With An Upstroke, Ascend
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
ElHombre
Hello, I start my alternate picking with an upstroke when I ascend.
Is this a bad thing?

I can play fast with this, its a system of course like starting with a downstroke.
Only thing is, do I need to change this? im like 50 % of the speed starting with a downstroke
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate. I don't think that this is a bad thing if it works for you. Does this "speed" thing happen with every lick or with some particular ones?
HungryForHeaven
Does it really have anything to do with inside/outside or is it the ascendingness itself?
dreadlocks

Aaron A
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Jan 20 2014, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this a bad thing?

I can play fast with this, its a system of course like starting with a downstroke.
Only thing is, do I need to change this? im like 50 % of the speed starting with a downstroke

Definitely not a bad thing. I generally determine my picking direction based on what part of the beat I am starting on (i.e. downstroke for down beat, upstroke for up beat). I do practice switching it up some times as well. There are times when it will beneficial to start on a downbeat with an upstroke and vice verse. The thing I adhere to most in my playing is to switch it up as much as possible in my practice sessions. Making things as difficult as I can on my picking, fretting, counting, and everything else you can think of so when it comes time to perform I can get through a run with ease.
Darius Wave
Hungry has good point here. With some licks it makes them much easier but if we speak about constant alternate on one string it's a weird thing. The problem You might found is outside and inside picking switch on the licks designed for downstroke as a first. Also You have to be aware of what is Your picking precision. Very often we let ourselfs believe in illusion that we are doing something right. The real verify comes while we start to demand a high precision from our playing.

For example - if some pick, wrist angles make you able to get insane speed with tremolo picking on one note, it doesn't mean this will work same well while playing witch strings changing.

Make sure Your reference for Your observation is relatively good.
jstcrsn
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Jan 20 2014, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this a bad thing?

I have problems playing the fourth note if it ends up being an upstroke when changing strings and that usually means that I started with a down stroke, Lately I have strated with an up stroke then causing the 7th note in a 3np scale be an upstroke which I can pull off for some reason so i don't see a problem unless when you get to a string skip with an upstroke if you use economy, and that in itself is not cheating unless you are trying to teach yourself strict alt. picking
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Erik - it's normal, as if you haven't applied this method, your hands are not trained enough, so it's really a different thing. Don't worry, just practice by starting with an upstroke as well and as Darius said, there are certain phrases which are meant to be like that by design.

I remember hearing John Petrucci say that it's important to practice your phrases by starting with a downstroke and then with an upstroke as well. In that way, you will never be caught off hand in any situation.
Gabriel Leopardi
As Darius suggested, I was thinking that this can be maybe related to crossing strings with outsides or insides. Please have a look at this lesson where I explain the concept and give very effective exercises to work it.

LINK
Taka Perry
Some licks run better when you start with an upstroke smile.gif
Darius Wave
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Jan 21 2014, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some licks run better when you start with an upstroke smile.gif

That is correct but when You try to make statistics You'll see about 90% of alternate picking licks designed for down stroke start
Cosmin Lupu
I practiced this lesson from Muris a few months ago, as it is a nice drill smile.gif I think it could help a lot wink.gif

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...upstroke-focus/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.