Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your missing genre…
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2
Gabriel Leopardi
I was wondering, which music styles you find extremely fun or cool to learn but you never got a chance to get more in depth or to actually learn how to play in those styles. I personally don’t have too much experience playing jazz/fusion, tango and Argentinean folk, and I feel bad about it. I would love to be able to play them on guitar and be more comfortable improvising on those styles.

One of my guitar goals for this year is to expand my playing and reach new styles.

What about you? Which is your missing genre?
SeeJay
GYPSY JAZZ!

I've got a good buddy who has a trio and they are EXTRAORDINARY!!! CHECK OUT THE COOK TRIO

I've starting picking up stuff.

The Most well known guy is Django
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 12 2014, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GYPSY JAZZ!

I've got a good buddy who has a trio and they are EXTRAORDINARY!!! CHECK OUT THE COOK TRIO

I've starting picking up stuff.

The Most well known guy is Django

I really like this style! I even have been learning a lesson by Sinisa based on Gipsy Jazz.

Have you tried GMC Gipsy Jazz gmc lessons?
Bogdan Radovic
For me it would be Rockabilly or Country smile.gif
I would love to learn how to play those genres on the guitar, both rhythm and those "punchy" country leads.
As a bass player I guess I'm drawn to the percussive and rhythmic component of the country guitar.

When it comes to playing bass - I would love to learn more about latin bass rhythms and walking lines applied there.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 13 2014, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me it would be Rockabilly or Country smile.gif
I would love to learn how to play those genres on the guitar, both rhythm and those "punchy" country leads.
As a bass player I guess I'm drawn to the percussive and rhythmic component of the country guitar.

When it comes to playing bass - I would love to learn more about latin bass rhythms and walking lines applied there.

Very cool Bogdan! Country music is also another style I would like to master on guitar. It's very funny to play.

and Latin is fantastic for percussion and bass... Do you usually listen to Latin music?
Marius Pop
My missing genere is this, because i don't play at the weddings smile.gif)

http://www.trilulilu.ro/video-film/mitica-...imilare_carusel
Spock
I think my missing genre would be whatever you call this sort of music. I love this music.

I heard of this guy one evening (Antoine Dufour) and purchased a few of his albums in one. I also like world music like Windham Hill stuff, Loreena McKinnett, Michael Hedges and stuff like that. It's good background music for reading or cleaning, just to sort of mellow you nerves.

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Marius Pop @ May 14 2014, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My missing genere is this, because i don't play at the weddings smile.gif)

http://www.trilulilu.ro/video-film/mitica-...imilare_carusel

Kudos to you for not doing it bro smile.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ May 14 2014, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think my missing genre would be whatever you call this sort of music. I love this music.

I heard of this guy one evening (Antoine Dufour) and purchased a few of his albums in one. I also like world music like Windham Hill stuff, Loreena McKinnett, Michael Hedges and stuff like that. It's good background music for reading or cleaning, just to sort of mellow you nerves.

Same here man! I love this sort of playing! And country as well smile.gif I think that I would love to have more time to develop acoustic playing and country - a bit electric and a bit acoustic as well biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Spock @ May 13 2014, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very nice playing, I love acoustic guitar playing. The cool thing that it sounds complete, you can play a song just with acoustic guitar and it doesn't seem to be lacking a backing or something. I love that.
Cosmin Lupu
I also posted this in a separate thread, but the natural way in which he plays it and the expression, orchestration and all around feeling is simply awesome:

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 15 2014, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also posted this in a separate thread, but the natural way in which he plays it and the expression, orchestration and all around feeling is simply awesome:

This is fantastic! It's a very enjoyable version.

It seems that Candyrat Records have all the great acoustic guitar players....
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 13 2014, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you usually listen to Latin music?

Not much unfortunately sad.gif ...but I do love the feel of the bass in the style.
I do listen to a lot of modern country music nowadays.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 15 2014, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is fantastic! It's a very enjoyable version.

It seems that Candyrat Records have all the great acoustic guitar players....

I'm stoked ... still listening biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 15 2014, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not much unfortunately sad.gif ...but I do love the feel of the bass in the style.
I do listen to a lot of modern country music nowadays.

Gabi, I very much like the influences brought from the Argentinian music on the guitar and for instance, one guy who uses them in his more pop acoustic music, would be Raul Midon - I heard him speak about this in an interview (can't find it, unfortunately) a while ago smile.gif

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 16 2014, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm stoked ... still listening biggrin.gif

Gabi, I very much like the influences brought from the Argentinian music on the guitar and for instance, one guy who uses them in his more pop acoustic music, would be Raul Midon - I heard him speak about this in an interview (can't find it, unfortunately) a while ago smile.gif

Cool! I don't know Raul but I will check him. Yes, Latin music is very interesting, there are many different rhythms and styles here. Each country has its own folk, style and influences. The most known styles are salsa, merengue, tango, compas, bossa nova and bachata, but if you explore, you will find endless variations.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 16 2014, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool! I don't know Raul but I will check him. Yes, Latin music is very interesting, there are many different rhythms and styles here. Each country has its own folk, style and influences. The most known styles are salsa, merengue, tango, compas, bossa nova and bachata, but if you explore, you will find endless variations.

Indeed! Most people I know, are more into the Brazillian side, but I don't like it that much smile.gif Here's my favorite tune from Raul:

Gabriel Leopardi
Nice song, he has a great feeling and groove. I checked his bio and I found this curious thing:

"Midón was born prematurely in a rural hospital in Embudo, New Mexico, to parents of Argentine and African American descent. His father was a folkloric dancer from Argentina."

He also worked with some very popular Latin artists.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 17 2014, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice song, he has a great feeling and groove. I checked his bio and I found this curious thing:

"Midón was born prematurely in a rural hospital in Embudo, New Mexico, to parents of Argentine and African American descent. His father was a folkloric dancer from Argentina."

He also worked with some very popular Latin artists.

Hehe! I was sure he had some roots in the phenomenon! biggrin.gif Gabi, who's your favorite Argentinian guitarist?
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 18 2014, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehe! I was sure he had some roots in the phenomenon! biggrin.gif Gabi, who's your favorite Argentinian guitarist?

We have many great guitarists here. This is my list of favorite Argentinean guitarists:

Pappo
Ricardo Mollo
Claudio Tano Marciello
Luis Salinas

What about you Cosmin and everybody? Which are your favorite guitarists of your countries?

Ben Higgins
I enjoy jamming the blues but I don't feel a desire to record or perform it.. so does that count ?

I think I'd really love playing industrial metal / electronica too... but it doesn't fit into what I do yet.

If Rammstein need a replacement guitarist any time........ I won't wear the Lederhosen though. ph34r.gif

Who am I kidding, of course I will wink.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 19 2014, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I enjoy jamming the blues but I don't feel a desire to record or perform it.. so does that count ?

I think I'd really love playing industrial metal / electronica too... but it doesn't fit into what I do yet.

If Rammstein need a replacement guitarist any time........ I won't wear the Lederhosen though. ph34r.gif

Rammstein's songs are very funny to play. They have groovy and killer riffs.

Now I'm curious Ben, which are your favorite British guitarists?
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 19 2014, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I'm curious Ben, which are your favorite British guitarists?

Hmm, good question. I guess I'd have to say Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi... and of the younger generation, Old Drake (ex Evile) and Richie Faulkner (Judas priest) are excellent too.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 19 2014, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude! Here's something industrial I'd DEFINITELY play:

Thank you for the little list Gabi biggrin.gif Well, from our country - I would say:

Cezar Popescu - my best friend and big brother with whom I founded Days of Confusion
Marius Pop - yes, yes, our friend here biggrin.gif
Calin Grigoriu and Horea Crisovan - amazing musicians and players, mates of mine from Mozart Rocks!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 19 2014, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, good question. I guess I'd have to say Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi... and of the younger generation, Old Drake (ex Evile) and Richie Faulkner (Judas priest) are excellent too.

hehehe we could say that you have some classics there... smile.gif

Evile... I think that I heard some songs from them at Spotify, very powerful old school Thrash Metal, fast rhythms, I liked them.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 19 2014, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude! Here's something industrial I'd DEFINITELY play:

Thank you for the little list Gabi biggrin.gif Well, from our country - I would say:

Cezar Popescu - my best friend and big brother with whom I founded Days of Confusion
Marius Pop - yes, yes, our friend here biggrin.gif
Calin Grigoriu and Horea Crisovan - amazing musicians and players, mates of mine from Mozart Rocks!

Cool, they are all friends of you! smile.gif

That band sounds good! I can imagine you playing that stuff, dressed as a priest, off course. biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
We're pretty much all friends here from a certain point onwards biggrin.gif It's nice to know that somehow we are all connected and if you want to jam or chit chat and have a beer with one of the guys, all you have to do is call.

I don't know if that's possible in other places, but Romania is a small country with a relatively small musical community and getting to know everyone, is simply a matter of time once you get in the game.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 20 2014, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're pretty much all friends here from a certain point onwards biggrin.gif It's nice to know that somehow we are all connected and if you want to jam or chit chat and have a beer with one of the guys, all you have to do is call.

I don't know if that's possible in other places, but Romania is a small country with a relatively small musical community and getting to know everyone, is simply a matter of time once you get in the game.

I see. Our country is very big so it seems impossible to know everybody here... we are 41 millions people.
Cosmin Lupu
Just 22 million here and VERY few of them into professional guitarism laugh.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 21 2014, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just 22 million here and VERY few of them into professional guitarism laugh.gif

that's a lot based on the size difference between Romania and Argentina...

Well guys, to get back to topic... I invite you to continue telling with us, which is your missing genre... blues? funk? progressive? jazz? percussive guitar? country?

Another good question that I have, is... who do you think is one of the most versatile guitarists? maybe Guthrie?
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 21 2014, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's a lot based on the size difference between Romania and Argentina...

Well guys, to get back to topic... I invite you to continue telling with us, which is your missing genre... blues? funk? progressive? jazz? percussive guitar? country?

Another good question that I have, is... who do you think is one of the most versatile guitarists? maybe Guthrie?

Most definitely Guthrie! I think that man can play anything and make it sound like it's incredibly natural and professional and expressive!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 22 2014, 03:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most definitely Guthrie! I think that man can play anything and make it sound like it's incredibly natural and professional and expressive!

Is there any other guitarist that we can add to the list?
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 22 2014, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there any other guitarist that we can add to the list?

I kept thinking, but none comes to my mind so...ummm, Guthrie? laugh.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 23 2014, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I kept thinking, but none comes to my mind so...ummm, Guthrie? laugh.gif

hahah ok! Guthrie wins!!
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 26 2014, 03:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hahah ok! Guthrie wins!!

It was to be expected! biggrin.gif He can shred and play the blues and play country and slap and funk and jazz and pop and... God knows what else laugh.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 26 2014, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was to be expected! biggrin.gif He can shred and play the blues and play country and slap and funk and jazz and pop and... God knows what else laugh.gif

he must be an alien... biggrin.gif
klasaine
I keep reading this thread title as ... 'your missing gene'

Click to view attachment
Gabriel Leopardi
what genre is that one klasaine? tongue.gif

Click to view attachment
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 27 2014, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what genre is that one klasaine? tongue.gif

Click to view attachment

It should be called 'Hello Neanderthal Kitty' laugh.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Does this only happen to me? Everytime I heard a great album, I want to compose some songs in that genre...

today: Progressive Alternative Metal or however you would call this...

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 28 2014, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this only happen to me? Everytime I heard a great album, I want to compose some songs in that genre...

today: Progressive Alternative Metal or however you would call this...

I call this 'something that hasn't left my music player since they released it' biggrin.gif I am in love with this album without any means of recuperation laugh.gif

What's the album that you are obsessively listening to?
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 29 2014, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I call this 'something that hasn't left my music player since they released it' biggrin.gif I am in love with this album without any means of recuperation laugh.gif

What's the album that you are obsessively listening to?

yeah!! It's a killer album! Let's do some modern progressive metal songs Cosmin, come on! You sing them! biggrin.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 29 2014, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah!! It's a killer album! Let's do some modern progressive metal songs Cosmin, come on! You sing them! biggrin.gif

Well, I am still waiting on that thing we talked about tongue.gif So, ready when you are biggrin.gif I will announce some great news for my band these days. We are opening for an incredible band which has influenced us a lot!
Blavod
Hi guys!

Reviving the topic, i think there is a style which uses a lot of nice guitar licks and has a very typical sound: bachata! And it's very popular nowadays. Check this videos, focusing on the guitars wink.gif

Of course Enrique Iglesias... Acoustic guitar + electric at 0:47

Almost 500.000.000 views for Prince Royce

More than 500.000.000 views on the next one (guitar starts at 0:47)!

On all 3 songs the guitar part is pretty nice, not too technical but with enough tricks to spend some time learning it! A "bachata" style class will be a must, don't you think?
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate, thanks for this request! This is a very good idea that I'll add to my list. Great to find some Spanish lyrics stuff here. smile.gif
Blavod
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 28 2015, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mate, thanks for this request! This is a very good idea that I'll add to my list. Great to find some Spanish lyrics stuff here. smile.gif

And playing bachata greatly enhance your possibilities to impress girls tongue.gif
PosterBoy
Chord Melody, I mean I can fingerpick a melody and accompaniment in more of a folk guitarist kind of way, but with Jazz type chords it's really the only Jazz I like (I do like some others like gypsy jazz) it's now that I'm attempting to start learning the chords used in Jazz comping and understanding the approach to jazz comping and trying to tackle some Ted Greene arrangements.

It's a really slow process.
klasaine
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 28 2015, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chord Melody, I'm attempting to start learning the chords used in Jazz comping and understanding the approach to jazz comping and trying to tackle some Ted Greene arrangements.

If you have any questions regarding the TG stuff, ask me. I studied with him.
PosterBoy
The jealousy I'm feeling right now is unreal. I'm so glad there are so many youtube clips people have made available of him teaching
klasaine
Do you go to the website? ... http://tedgreene.com/
All that stuff in the lessons area is compiled by his former students. As a teacher he had no equal.
Not a day goes by where I don't think about something he said to me.

The album 'Solo Guitar' is his best recorded work and a must have if you dig chord melody.
http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Guitar-Ted-Greene/dp/B0007CNXQ4

The best book of the 4 he wrote is 'Modern chord Progressions' - http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Chord-Progres...rd+progressions
PosterBoy
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 28 2015, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you go to the website? ... http://tedgreene.com/
All that stuff in the lessons area is compiled by his former students. As a teacher he had no equal.
Not a day goes by where I don't think about something he said to me.

The album 'Solo Guitar' is his best recorded work and a must have if you dig chord melody.
http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Guitar-Ted-Greene/dp/B0007CNXQ4

The best book of the 4 he wrote is 'Modern chord Progressions' - http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Chord-Progres...rd+progressions

I go to Tedgreene.com quite regularly that place is an absolute goldmine. I have all the recordings of him that I can find, and of course Chord Chemistry and Modern Chord Progressions. I just wish my fingers would bend and stretch more easily!

I've started working on Send in the clowns, very slowly!!!
Gabriel Leopardi
Hey guys! This talk is turning really cool! Klasaine, you have a great talent playing chord melody, and now I've just noticed that you studied with one of the masters!

What do you recommend to players who like chord melody but don't have experience with it? Which are the first steps? How was your journey?
klasaine
In the beginning ...

1) Pick a song that has some harmonic motion to it. *2 or 3 chord songs are difficult to translate to a solo instrumental arrangement. Certainly not impossible, just harder. The more chords (harmony/motion) the easier to keep and add interest to the arrangement.
2)Learn the chords and melody separately.
3) In 'general' try to keep the melody on the top 3 strings (G, B and E) so you can have some harmony below.
4) Learn the notes that make up the chords so that you can re-arrange the voicings. This is helpful when the melody is a chord tone that is not usually on top (the highest note) of the chord - which is much of the time.
5) Listen to as many different versions of the song as possible (vocal, instrumental, etc). Steal the ideas that you like.
6) Learn as much as you can about harmony (more of a long-term process - TG knew more about harmony than any other musician I've ever met).

*All these suggestions are just that - suggestions. I actually don't play anything like Ted Greene when I do a chord melody arrangement.

'My journey' was an unintentional one. I always loved and still do love playing in a band with other musicians. Playing solo evolved from my love of melody and harmony. And probably from the fact that I'm a really lousy singer ... but I want to play 'songs' laugh.gif

If anybody has specific questions I'll be happy to talk about it.

**I love the Bachata stuff. It reminds me a bit of Mexican guitar feature bands like 'Trio Los Panchos' from the 50/60s.
'Sin Ti' and 'Perdida' were big hits even in the States ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDme9SBjfec...Dme9SBjfec#t=10 Tons of 'lead' guitar in these tunes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.