Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Up The Irons Collaboration
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Cosmin Lupu
Any Iron Maiden fans around the house? Well, you are in luck! It's time to kick off a new collab featuring an Iron Maiden track and bringing a tribute to one of heavy metal's greatest icons!

Grab your Maiden t-shirt, guitar and attitude - and join us as we unleash the beasts. (hopefully there'll be 666 of ya!?)

Remember! This is the perfect opportunity for you to jam with the pentatonic scale or minor scales, and apply some of the recnt tricks and techniques you have learned at GMC.

Working with collabs give you the type of input you cannot achieve when practicing on your own - so even if you feel shy about this, you should give it a serious try. You will improve in unpredictable ways for certain!

-------------------------------------------

BACKING TRACK: Click to view attachment

This collab is based on Gabriel's Iron Maiden for beginners lesson.

Tempo: 110 BPM

Key: E minor

-------------------------------------------

Here's everything you need to know about how to enter this collaboration:

1. Download the backing track and open it in your recording software
2. Record your part in the recording software and with your video cam (if you have the possibility to record video).
You can record anything - a short fill part, rhythm based ideas, or a full lead part (solo).
3. Render one track containing your recording only - 16 bit wave file 44,1 kHz
4. Render one track containing both solo and backing track in an .mp3 format
5. Send us your video (preferably in .mp4 format)

As always, you can send us the last 3 files mentioned, using a dropbox link, or any other transfer service you are used to, by posting them in this thread or attaching them to a private message.

If you can't submit a video, you can send us only the audio files and some pictures of you - it will work out great as well!
The more pictures you send, the better will it be for editing in the final video!

When attaching/sending the collab files, please include the source file of the video as well.

Very important: IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER/ ADVANCED/ PRO/ GOD - all styles, approaches and all levels are welcome and you can even play just a short fill if you feel like it!

Bringing your contribution to this track and tribute to the GMC community is what really matters!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collab tips:

As in the previous collabs, we want this one to stand out as much as possible, because this will give your playing and progress maximum exposure. So here's what we suggest:

Making short but polished and detailed lines will always give you better results! If you focus on a short part of the backing track, then you will most likely amaze yourself and others! No explicit need to play over the full backing track length, pick any amount of bars you feel most comfortable playing over. It is always better to come up with something short but catchy or memorable!

Check out these lessons for inspiration:

Dave Murray Style
Adrian Smith Style
Iron Maiden Masterclass
Iron Maiden For Beginners
Iron Maiden Style Lesson
Iron Maiden Style 2 Lesson
Murray Vs Smith

Scales you could use:

Remember - the only thing we require is that you participate and be yourself - there are no rules, and no limits!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: June 30th

Participants: Cosmin Lupu, Gabriel Leopardi, bleez, huargo, Sensible Jones, Todd Simpson, Jeroen, Ulrik (maybe), Spock, Hajduk

UPDATE : final video and instructor comments - click here
bleez
scream for me gmc biggrin.gif

I'll have a go smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (bleez @ May 31 2014, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
scream for me gmc biggrin.gif

I'll have a go smile.gif

Alright! Welcome man! biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
hey guys!!! this one will be epic! Here you have some inspiration:

Huargo
In!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (huargo @ May 31 2014, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In!

Welcome!! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Welcome mate! smile.gif
Huargo
Hi guys!
Me working in the intro with all my fans taking photos an videos to add more diffyculty on my routine!
I work the intro in a loop between 80 to 110...
UP THE IROOOOOOOONSSSSS!!!!!
Sensible Jones
I'm in for sure!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
Awesome!! Welcome guys! This month will I will be covering Iron Maiden soloing style at my Vchat sessions so I will share stuff that will surely help you with ideas for this collab! The next session is this Wednesday at 20 hs (London Time).

Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (huargo @ Jun 2 2014, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys!
Me working in the intro with all my fans taking photos an videos to add more diffyculty on my routine!
I work the intro in a loop between 80 to 110...
UP THE IROOOOOOOONSSSSS!!!!!

Whoaa! Look at those fingers fly! And your kid sounds like he already remembers the lines biggrin.gif Good going mate!

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jun 2 2014, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in for sure!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Welcome Neil!
Jeroen
Maiden for life!
I'm innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!

"A light in the black or just a Fear of the Dark"

Whoehahahahahahahaaaaaa

Yes, this one is gonna be epic

Huargo
Hi!
this is my take. Tomorrow start a job and i'll be bussy to play enought guitar... good for my pockets bad for my playing.
I steal two licks from Gab and Ben, my apollogies for that guys... but now are mine jejeeje.
If i had time i'll make a more accurate take... some tempo issues here... as always sad.gif
i don't use the first part of the video take for the audio.... i use a more accuratte one. If i had time i try to make a one take only video and audio.
Thanks Gab for this amazing baking track.
Please enjoy the IROOOOOOONSSSSSS!!!

the files here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aa18g95yc76p7qf/...aRChr39mnWXpria

https://soundcloud.com/david-vico-2/up-the-irons_mix
https://soundcloud.com/david-vico-2/up-the-irons-guitars
Todd Simpson
You had me at "Iron Maiden" smile.gif

Your sweeps are very spiff and seem spot on in timing!! Then for some reason when you go in to individual notes, it seems like your timing starts to drift?

It seems like the sweeps would be harder to time, but you are having a LOT more difficulty with the single note stuff? Do you practice sweeps a LOT compared to scale runs and such? Usually I see the opposite in students playing with single note work being more precision and sweeps drifting. So it's sorta odd to see it this way smile.gif Any ideas?

QUOTE (huargo @ Jun 3 2014, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi!
this is my take. Tomorrow start a job and i'll be bussy to play enought guitar... good for my pockets bad for my playing.
I steal two licks from Gab and Ben, my apollogies for that guys... but now are mine jejeeje.
If i had time i'll make a more accurate take... some tempo issues here... as always sad.gif
i don't use the first part of the video take for the audio.... i use a more accuratte one. If i had time i try to make a one take only video and audio.

the files here:

Huargo
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 3 2014, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You had me at "Iron Maiden" smile.gif

Your sweeps are very spiff and seem spot on in timing!! Then for some reason when you go in to individual notes, it seems like your timing starts to drift?

It seems like the sweeps would be harder to time, but you are having a LOT more difficulty with the single note stuff? Do you practice sweeps a LOT compared to scale runs and such? Usually I see the opposite in students playing with single note work being more precision and sweeps drifting. So it's sorta odd to see it this way smile.gif Any ideas?

Hi Todd! thanks for your comments smile.gif
I ussually compose the solo and practice for 3 weeks to get better results... the runs are very new compare with the sweep parts thats why sounds insecure and out of time, i finish the composition minutes before the video... and of course are a little bit too much fast for me.
when i record a video or take to a collab i use to warm up for three hours to have better results but it wasn't possible this time.
I hope you like the solo and i promise a better take if my work letme play guitar this weeks

smile.gif

see you in our threat wink.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (huargo @ Jun 3 2014, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi!

the files here:

Thanks for the files man! If you don't have the time to fix the timing stuff, don't worry we have great material here in the take! Nice sweeps!

Welcome Todd and Jeroen!!
Ulrik
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Janick-Gers-Style/
Remember to add Bens new lesson as Maiden inspration!

Going to their concert next wednesday: http://copenhell.dk/line-up/

I had to bail out from the last collab, so let's say I'm not in, and then maybe I will suddenly surprise you with a solo.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (huargo @ Jun 3 2014, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi!

the files here:

Hey Huargo!! Your take is pure Maiden!! I love the composition! It's true that you have some timing issues here and there, but we can fix it if you are not able to do it. Don't worry. Thanks for joining!! smile.gif

Hey guys! Today I will be covering Maiden style at the chat-room!!

Link to join the chat: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/chat

Direct link to lesson notes: http://tinyurl.com/oq59m4o

The session starts at 20 hs (London Tiime).

Cosmin Lupu
Hey Ulrik! Enjoy the gig man wink.gif I will just put you on the list with a little 'maybe' and if you are brave enough to face the challenge biggrin.gif maybe the 'maybe' will not be such a maybe after all biggrin.gif
Spock
Here's my initial idea. I'll work on it over the weekend and polish it up some, maybe change a couple parts. I had a difficult time trying to come up with parts for the fast rhythm so I just doubled them in places thinking Maiden would do that.

Anyway...

Click to view attachment
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 6 2014, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my initial idea. I'll work on it over the weekend and polish it up some, maybe change a couple parts. I had a difficult time trying to come up with parts for the fast rhythm so I just doubled them in places thinking Maiden would do that.

Anyway...

Click to view attachment

Hi Spock! There are some killer moments on this take, and there are some others that could be great if you do some little note changes. Let's go with some precise feedback:

00:00 to 00:20: This phrase is very maiden, be sure to play it tighter, focus on rhythm. At 00:19, you get off of scale, you play C# and that's not a note from Em key. I would change those last notes by by B and C.

00:28 to 00:37: This is a tricky part to play a solo because the chords move by tones and semi tones. When you stay on 1 notes using a bend, the chord moves and doesn't fit great all the time. Try to follow a bit more the chords with the melodies, and try to avid staying too much on not chord notes, for example when you end the phrase on G, sounds weird, like a bit off.

00:37 to 00:45: This riff should sound tighter.

00:45 to end : The first bends are a bit weird, mostly the note at 00:49 which is a 4th based on the chord that it's sounding. Then the solo becomes to cool, it would be great if you can play those pedal note ideas even more adjusted with the tempo.

That's all! It could seem to be a lot, but it's not, some specific changes would make this one killer.
Spock
Thanks for the valuable feedback Gab!

I listened to it on the way to work this morning and heard many things that need to be redone. I'll go through your post point by point on the parts I keep. Quite a few of those parts I'm going to scrap and redo though - they can be more Maidenesque.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 6 2014, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the valuable feedback Gab!

I listened to it on the way to work this morning and heard many things that need to be redone. I'll go through your post point by point on the parts I keep. Quite a few of those parts I'm going to scrap and redo though - they can be more Maidenesque.

Excellent! Looking forward your new take.
Huargo
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 6 2014, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyway...

Click to view attachment

Hi Spock!
I really like the last part of the solo with the end riff with the open strings! dont'n dissmiss that in the new take please cool.gif

Thanks for the feedback Cosmin and Gab! smile.gif

Spock
QUOTE (huargo @ Jun 6 2014, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Spock!
I really like the last part of the solo with the end riff with the open strings! dont'n dissmiss that in the new take please cool.gif

Thanks Huargo that's very nice of you to say. Yes, I do plan on keeping that part. I wish I could rip those solos out like you can, but I'm enjoying the attempt at coming up with something.

I've been working on it since I got home from work and I'm still not happy with what I've come up with, it's not Maiden enough, it sounds more like Alex Lifeson (after a liter of tequila) trying to come up with a Maiden solo - except I'm sober.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 7 2014, 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Huargo that's very nice of you to say. Yes, I do plan on keeping that part. I wish I could rip those solos out like you can, but I'm enjoying the attempt at coming up with something.

I've been working on it since I got home from work and I'm still not happy with what I've come up with, it's not Maiden enough, it sounds more like Alex Lifeson (after a liter of tequila) trying to come up with a Maiden solo - except I'm sober.

Haha! Mr. Spock, as the guys already pointed out, you have nice ideas in there wink.gif Use Gabi's suggestions and make them shine in a new take and post it so that we may help further smile.gif

QUOTE (huargo @ Jun 6 2014, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Spock!

Always a pleasure, man!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 7 2014, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahaha, the current solo, the one that I gave feedback is already sounding very maiden. If you are fixing the weird parts I think that you are on the right track!

What about borrowing some maiden licks from GMC lessons? Click HERE.
Spock
Really awesome Iron Maiden lessons!
Todd Simpson
I like it wink.gif I was just struck by the difference between the sweeps vs scales. But I'm an instructor so I'm probably being overly picky smile.gif

QUOTE (huargo @ Jun 4 2014, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Todd! thanks for your comments smile.gif
I ussually compose the solo and practice for 3 weeks to get better results... the runs are very new compare with the sweep parts thats why sounds insecure and out of time, i finish the composition minutes before the video... and of course are a little bit too much fast for me.
when i record a video or take to a collab i use to warm up for three hours to have better results but it wasn't possible this time.
I hope you like the solo and i promise a better take if my work letme play guitar this weeks

smile.gif

see you in our threat wink.gif

Very Maidenesque smile.gif I don't have much to add beyond the critique from GABE. Looking forward to round 2!

QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 6 2014, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyway...

Click to view attachment
Huargo
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 7 2014, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like it wink.gif I was just struck by the difference between the sweeps vs scales. But I'm an instructor so I'm probably being overly picky smile.gif

Hi Todd no worries! That's what we are here, going better and better.
Thanks for your instructor point of view, makes me push myself more and more smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (huargo @ Jun 7 2014, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Todd no worries! That's what we are here, going better and better.
Thanks for your instructor point of view, makes me push myself more and more smile.gif

Here's a man with a very healthy approach! High 5 bro! Glad to have ya here! biggrin.gif
Spock
I'm trying. I guess I am confused on proper technique. If the rhythm ends a pattern on an A, should the note in the solo also land on the A, or, just any note within the scale?

Click to view attachment

Here's my can of worms since the last can of worms...

Click to view attachment
Todd Simpson
For any given passage, it's a good idea to land on the "Root" note. For example if the backing is in the key of E Minor. Then it's a good idea to land on an E in any octave now and again smile.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 8 2014, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying. I guess I am confused on proper technique. If the rhythm ends a pattern on an A, should the note in the solo also land on the A, or, just any note within the scale?

Click to view attachment

Here's my can of worms since the last can of worms...

Click to view attachment

Cosmin Lupu
As Todd says wink.gif Another possibility would be to finish on the 5th and so that someone who starts on the root will have a nice tie to your take biggrin.gif But that is for Gabi to decide when he takes care of the mix biggrin.gif
Spock
Indeed - I figure I have 20 more days to get it right. I'll work on some of those Maiden lessons to draw some more inspiration from.

My goal was to give a feel of (or my rendition of a feel of) the difference in Dave Murray and Adrian Smith playing - you know how Adrian is more melodic and Dave is more neck pickup trills and rolling hammer ons. So that's what I'm attempting.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 8 2014, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Click to view attachment

Hi mate! Your solo sound a lot better! Congratulations!!

Regarding your question. It would fit great if you end the solo on A, but also it will sound good if you end it playing the 3rd or the 4th of the chord.

Some details to improve:

- 00:19, now you are playing on scale but I'm not convinced of the 4 notes that you are playing to end the pattern.

This is an idea of how I would end the part:

Click to view attachment

I can't explain a theory concept why this sound better, but I trust on my ears. smile.gif

- 00:49: That bend is a 4th related to the chord sounding, I would go for chord tone in this case that the bend is very long.

VilleFIN
Hey guys biggrin.gif

I thought maybe this can be used as a intro or something ?
I'm composing more in few days.

Cheers

-Ville-
Spock
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 9 2014, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for this, I was not happy with that pattern either.

QUOTE (WeePee @ Jun 9 2014, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys biggrin.gif

Cheers

-Ville-

Sounds awesome WeePee - bring on more!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (WeePee @ Jun 9 2014, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys biggrin.gif

Cheers

-Ville-

It sounds very cool! smile.gif
Spock
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 9 2014, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some details to improve:

- 00:19, now you are playing on scale but I'm not convinced of the 4 notes that you are playing to end the pattern.

This is an idea of how I would end the part:

Click to view attachment

I can't explain a theory concept why this sound better, but I trust on my ears. smile.gif

- 00:49: That bend is a 4th related to the chord sounding, I would go for chord tone in this case that the bend is very long.

Okay, I made both changes per your suggestions and like them better too:

At 00:19 - Right now it's impossible for me to make that jump from the last note (10 on the B-String) immediately play the 4 to 1 fret pull-offs on the bottom E. So I tried it by skipping that last note and ending that phrase with the note just before that (8 on the B-String) giving me time to switch positions. It doesn't sound bad to do that but for the sake of this collab, I'll just have this punched in so that last note ends the phrase the way it should.

At 00:49 - I wasn't exactly sure what you meant, but instead of bending the E and B as I had been doing, I jumped up to a 2 note cord - I think that is what you were suggesting. I like it and it's easier to switch to the next position and I don't have to worry about nailing that bend every time.

So here it is written. Since I've been writing it in parts I haven't played the solo as a whole yet, so I'll spend the next few days getting it down. Also, I'm sure I'll polish it up more over the next couple of weeks while practicing it for the final submission.

Feel free to offer any more suggestions and thanks again for all your input!

http://soundcloud.com/lllspocklll/up-the-irons-collab

EDIT: After listening to it again, I still feel the need to change that whole pattern around the :19 - the notes leading up to it. Maybe I just need to let it rest for a day or so and come back and listen to it - my brains kind of fried on it right now - but overall I'm happy with it.
Gabriel Leopardi
It's getting better and better! Here I recorded ideas for the two parts that are still not convincing us:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Spock
Man - you made it look so easy! Why couldn't that have popped into my head? Thanks! And it sounds Maidener than mine.

To be honest, during this process I accidentally hit that double string bend once, and loved it, and it made me think of the bends in this Justin Derrico video, so I started overdosing on the idea.

The bend at 2:34...

Spock
I put the parts you suggested in this morning. They fit and sound good, but the first part is really just doubling the rhythm and it's very Maiden but I hoped to do something different than double the rhythm there and I kind of like the quick pull-offs with the Wild Horsey. I want to explore that a little more with the neck pickup, that whole little section I'm thinking Dave Murray - then at the end go to an Adrian Smith feel on the bridge pup.

Anyway, I'm just going to marinade on it for a little while because after I work on something I really should listen to it a good bit before I post it, 9 times out of 10 after I post something I'll be listening to it on the way to work and wish I had done something different before I uploaded to the site.

EDIT: Glad I didn't post and had a chance to listen through. The 2nd suggestion you gave me is definitely a keeper. The 1st one will work but I will have to make a quick change at the end of the following pattern because it's redundant. Still going to play with the pull-off idea too and if I can't get it to work for me, I'll have that to fall back on.

Thanks Gab!
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 10 2014, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put the parts you suggested in this morning. They fit and sound good, but the first part is really just doubling the rhythm and it's very Maiden but I hoped to do something different than double the rhythm there and I kind of like the quick pull-offs with the Wild Horsey. I want to explore that a little more with the neck pickup, that whole little section I'm thinking Dave Murray - then at the end go to an Adrian Smith feel on the bridge pup.

Anyway, I'm just going to marinade on it for a little while because after I work on something I really should listen to it a good bit before I post it, 9 times out of 10 after I post something I'll be listening to it on the way to work and wish I had done something different before I uploaded to the site.

EDIT: Glad I didn't post and had a chance to listen through. The 2nd suggestion you gave me is definitely a keeper. The 1st one will work but I will have to make a quick change at the end of the following pattern because it's redundant. Still going to play with the pull-off idea too and if I can't get it to work for me, I'll have that to fall back on.

Thanks Gab!

Great! Thanks for the update! I also need to give me some time to the ideas I'm working on, and listen to them later. Sometimes it can be just 5 minutes, sometimes 1 hour and other times 1 day. We have to detect that moment when our mind needs a break to avoid feeling frustrated and wasting time.
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Spock - great to see you are so involved in this one, man smile.gif Slowly, you are building a great line with Gabi's help!

Who else is in? There's still plenty of time!!
Hajduk
Can I still be part of the collab smile.gif finally starting to figure this stuff out, haha.
Spock
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jun 11 2014, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I still be part of the collab smile.gif finally starting to figure this stuff out, haha.

Yes sir - you have 10 more days before deadline
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jun 11 2014, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As Spock said, the answer is yes!!
Cosmin Lupu
By all means Tom! Please feel welcome!!
Cosmin Lupu
Hey guys! Who else is in? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.