Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ben's Quick Licks #1
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Ben Higgins
Hey guys and girls, I'd thought I'd shove some quick licks your way. Nothing too outrageous, just some interesting little ditties that you may be able to use to spice up your playing !

Here's something that sounds a bit VAI-esque. It's in G Mixolydian and involves a combination of alternate picking and hammer-ons and pull-offs. Essentially it's a way that you can break up your picking runs to make them sound more exotic. You can hear Steve do stuff like this all the time and it sounds great.

Here's the essentials. You can hear me do it with a click at 2 different speeds then you've got the INTEL below.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Start with a down stroke. You'll encounter the first hammer-on straight away. Immediately take up the picking again on the B string. However, because the hammer-on / pull-off broke up things a bit, you can resume the picking with another down stroke. This is a general rule that I stick to when picking. If there's enough of a pause between pick strokes, resume your picking with a down stroke as if you were starting a new picking run.

This is just one way in which you can use quick hammer / pull trills to inject some vitality into your picking runs and stop you sounding like a shred robot !

Upload some of your takes of this lick here ! cool.gif
Opetholic
This reminds me of the Bushido Tasks in the Temple of Donuts smile.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jul 26 2014, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This reminds me of the Bushido Tasks in the Temple of Donuts smile.gif

Hell yeah, well done !! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.