Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ben's Vibrato Odyssey 5
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > REC
Chris S.
Original lesson: Ben's Vibrato Odyssey 5 by Ben Higgins

I'd like to give a special thanks to Mr. Ben Higgins for creating this lesson and to Cosmin for opening my eyes to how bad my vibrato really was (and all this time I thought I had the world's best vibrato heheheh). I lost the callous on my middle finger and it hasn't calloused over yet so my finger is a bit under the weather after this one and I shall retire him for the day (unless someone cuts me off on the highway). Thanks!

Cosmin Lupu
Hey Chris!

Nice to see this lesson in here, mate! Your vibrato has evolved fantastically and it's far stronger, wider and in pitch then it was just about 2-3 weeks ago - it's obvious you put a lot of time in it.

Now, what I would like to see, would be more interpretation and more precision in reaching the pitches at once - you tend to reach them all but not in the first place sometimes - see second 0:10 for instance smile.gif

What I would suggest about this lesson, would be to polish it some more as it can sound a lot more natural and precise, but it needs more playing and you becoming more and more acquainted and natural with the idea of recording.

Keep rocking mate!

Cosmin
Ben Higgins
Hi Chris, well this is very cool to see !

Ok, starting off with the slow bends.. the semitone was a bit sharp and the last whole tone a little flat. This is a vibrato lesson so I'm not going to penalise you for that so much but it's always good to get a handle on being really accurate with bends for future reference.

When the lesson gets to the quicker stuff you've got the goods ! You can directly see and hear how the slow bends translate to that wide, aggressive vibrato and you demonstrate that very well.

The B string vibratos are almost as good as the G. They could do with a little bit of extra time, especially that really wide one before the end as it feels a little unnatural. I think you're playing the fretted note, then bending, keeping there and then applying vibrato.

Try letting the vibrato happen in such a way so that you return to the fretted note in between 'bends'. Hopefully that makes sense smile.gif

Excellent work !
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Chris, good to see you working on this technique. We tend to let it for later but then, we realize that this technique is one of the most important because of how better can make a solo.

Both Ben and Cosmin talked about the important things to have in mind in order to improve this one. You have to be careful with pitches, and also with the rhythm when you play the faster vibrato since it must have some relation with the backing's groove to fir good.

I think that the best to work on both things is to dedicate some time to play this one over the original lesson and then some time just with the backing, record yourself and check the improvements. IT's easier to analyze our playing when we are not playing, so that's why recording is very important.

Keep on the hard work! wink.gif
Fran
Almost there, 7.3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.