Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Wish I Knew This Before
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Ben Higgins
We can apply this to guitar playing or life in general but is there anything that stands out to you as something that you really wish you knew before ?

Talking about guitar / music, I think one of the hardest things to learn (that's if you even want to) is to let go of following what other people do and trying out your own ideas with the ultimate goal of finding YOU through the instrument.

I've touched upon this in another old post; One of the things that holds us back from trying out ideas that are 'unproven' is a fear that we may waste time on something that may not even work. So the lure back to working on 'proven' licks is too tempting to ignore. But what if there was no actual categorical need to be able to play certain licks ? What if there was nobody saying that you've got to have a specific type of lick down ? What if the door was blown wide open and you could just explore (without any guilt or doubt) any sounds that take your fancy ? It could be something that is just the seed of an idea in your head but you might have an inkling of a particular sound, style or phrase in your mind but you haven't managed to make it real yet.

A great quote from Jimi Hendrix reinforces one of the most satisfying goals of playing a musical instrument:

"My own thing is in my head. I hear sounds and if I don't get them together nobody else will."

I think that quote encapsulates the musicians 'burden' perfectly. How many player out there truly dig deep and unearth something that doesn't sound like something already out there ? It's hard because the repertoire of established guitar techniques is pretty much universal so we all use them. It's not easy to get our own sound out but I kind of feel that it is a noble duty of ours that we can choose to take on if we are so inclined.

A lot of you have already talked about the idea of listening to other instruments and / or vocalists and emulating them for inspiration. That can force one to find a new way of negotiating a phrase. Before you might have played a typical linear guitar line but now you may be faced with a lick that is played on a violin tuned in fifths. So you fingers may have to travel unfamiliar paths. Not only that but the inflections of a different instrument may inspire you to use your bending skill and vibrato in ways you'd never thought of before.

That's without touching upon the tonal possibilities or if you have a whammy bar.... we're just scratching the surface but that's how we start playing outside the box.. the box that we put ourselves in. But we can't blame ourselves. As humans we hear, we see, we do. Mostly. So what if we take that away ?

Pretend you've never seen or heard another guitar player. You've got this electric guitar thingy. It make noise. What sort of noise would you make with it ?

There is a balance, as always. I think it's necessary to learn a lot of foundational skills that are vital to playing with other musicians, in a band, or getting work in some way... but to balance that out with enough time spent in 'discovery' mode is the ideal goal, I think.

But I wish I knew this stuff years ago. I would have started concentrating less on playing what I have heard and concentrated more on what I haven't !

So, what about you ? The above subject could warrant much discussion as it is but you can apply the question to any aspect of life. What do you wish you had known years ago ?
Chris S.
Great stuff, Ben!

For me:

1) I wish I knew back then where I would be at now - so that I could push myself harder to surpass my ability (if that makes sense)

&

2) When making grilled cheese - to not touch the griddle with your bare finger to see if it is hot enough dry.gif

And let's not forget:

3) Never let my dad cook popcorn... Ever. Seriously, he misread the bag as 30 minutes instead of 3 minutes and fell asleep on the couch - I'm surprised my parents still have a house blink.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 30 2014, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) When making grilled cheese - to not touch the griddle with your bare finger to see if it is hot enough dry.gif

Ouch !!!!!!!! laugh.gif

And how about:

Don't eat that pizza too early - that melted cheese is going to take the skin off the roof of your mouth !! God, I hate that rolleyes.gif

Todd Simpson
I wish I had a better grip on the concept of "BALANCE" years ago, or heck even now!! Like many folks, I sometimes tend to over do things. Practice to the point of injury, zip down a flight of stairs and break my ankle, run a red light and nearly get killed in a car wreck, etc.

I still struggle with the idea of balance in all things. I wish I had started struggling with it earlier smile.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 30 2014, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ouch !!!!!!!! laugh.gif

And how about:

Don't eat that pizza too early - that melted cheese is going to take the skin off the roof of your mouth !! God, I hate that rolleyes.gif

Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 10 2014, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
zip down a flight of stairs and break my ankle,

This is always easy to do when two Germans are around ! biggrin.gif
Sensible Jones
Great subject Ben!
1) Never 'just try' a tiny dip of Naga Chilli paste.
2) Never sell your favourite guitar just to make the Rent. Get the money some other way.
3) Never eat yellow snow.
biggrin.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Dec 12 2014, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great subject Ben!
2) Never sell your favourite guitar just to make the Rent. Get the money some other way.
biggrin.gif

Is there something about yellow snow ? It's never done me any harm before.........

Oh...

Wait....

Ahhh, so that's why it's yellow......
klasaine
Todd Simpson
Very true!!! Those crazy Germans tend to bring out the best qualities in us all smile.gif Two of them in tandem out for a night of automatic weapons and such is certain to end in bloodshed and shattered bone. I haven't had that much fun at a gun range in YEARS. IT was a real blast smile.gif I hope they come back! Gonna wear armor next time wink.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 12 2014, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is always easy to do when two Germans are around ! biggrin.gif

Well said!! NEVER SELL YOUR FAVE GUITAR!! I"ve kept my two fave guitars since I bought them used years ago. I've never played their equal and I"d rather sleep under a bridge with both guitars than sell them.

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Dec 12 2014, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great subject Ben!
biggrin.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 13 2014, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope they come back! Gonna wear armor next time wink.gif

Yes, you need proper PANZER when there's Germans involved !! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.