Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sveina60's Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Gabriel Leopardi
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Svein! Welcome to our thread for Gab's Army!

Here I will help you with your guitar practice, designing routines in order to achieve your goals as musician and guitarist. Here I will share some info that you've sent me via PM to have it as a reference:

"I am a beginner on el guitar, and think i am on level 2 on Your system.

I have a warmoth stratocastertype, and PRS custom 24 guitar. I mostly practice on my Ipad with Irig and Jamup pro.

I like to listen to Bb.King, Albert King, Santana, Pink Floyd, Gilmour, SRV, ZZ topp, and more. Most blues, blues rock and rock, but also some heavy metall can be fine.

My biggest problem are the tempo and synchronization with the left and right hand, that always Stops me when i shall learn a solo.

I should like to have a practice plan. I can play 2 hour's a day every day. I have looked at "picking hand basis", "Sweeps major an minor" and "beginner soling 1". In the end of beginner soling 1 i have problem with a sort of sweeping, so i think i need practice on alternate picking, sweep picking and of course Much more."

Next step would be to share here some audios and videos of you playing. I'll send you details about this via PM.

I hope that you enjoy this journey! smile.gif
Sveina60
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 2 2014, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Svein! Welcome to our thread for Gab's Army!

Here I will help you with your guitar practice, designing routines in order to achieve your goals as musician and guitarist. Here I will share some info that you've sent me via PM to have it as a reference:

"I am a beginner on el guitar, and think i am on level 2 on Your system.

I have a warmoth stratocastertype, and PRS custom 24 guitar. I mostly practice on my Ipad with Irig and Jamup pro.

I like to listen to Bb.King, Albert King, Santana, Pink Floyd, Gilmour, SRV, ZZ topp, and more. Most blues, blues rock and rock, but also some heavy metall can be fine.

My biggest problem are the tempo and synchronization with the left and right hand, that always Stops me when i shall learn a solo.

I should like to have a practice plan. I can play 2 hour's a day every day. I have looked at "picking hand basis", "Sweeps major an minor" and "beginner soling 1". In the end of beginner soling 1 i have problem with a sort of sweeping, so i think i need practice on alternate picking, sweep picking and of course Much more."

Next step would be to share here some audios and videos of you playing. I'll send you details about this via PM.

I hope that you enjoy this journey! smile.gif

Hi again and thank you for your fast response

I wil try to link to some audio on soundcloud, and get a youtube channel tomorrow. I know the soundquality is not good, but i hope you can get some understanding of what i should start my practice with

https://soundcloud.com/user194970809/solfactorysolo001

https://soundcloud.com/user194970809/albatross-peter-green

https://soundcloud.com/user194970809/time-pink-floyd

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Vein! Thanks for this audios! I can say that your playing is very nice to hear. You sound warm and there aren't notes out of pitch or something sounding bad there. You must have a good ear which is a very important thing for a musician.

Based on this audios, I think that the next things to work are:

- Vibrato
- Bending
- Alternate Picking
- Dynamics

As you like blues, I think that you should learn the theory behind blues progressions, pentatonics, blue scale, dominant chords, Mixolydian and Dorian modes.

I think that the 3 lessons you suggested could be good starting points so working on them for some days and share your video progress here would be a good idea. Do you think it's possible?

And also, what do you know about theory?
Sveina60
Hi Gab

I have tried to link som youtube videos to the thread. I will talk to you what i know about the theory tomorrow

Gabriel Leopardi
Great videos Vein! Thanks a lot for being that fast to post everything here! smile.gif

I love that guitar, it looks so good, and reminds me a bit to my custom guitar because of the color. It also sounds very warm and has good sustain. It's a killer guitar for learning. Great choice!

I would like to suggest a plan for these first days of practice that includes these 3 lessons. Divide your practice time in 3 blocks and work on these three lessons.

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/String-Bending/

Also, dedicate some time to just jam a bit over the String bending backing using the scale suggested in the lesson, and also feel free to share your improvisations here.

What do you think?
Sveina60
Hi Again Gab

First of all i will say what a fantastic place this is, and what an fantastic inspiring and good instructor You are. I realy think You can see what i need of practice and will help me to reach a higher level of my guitar playing. I am realy happy.

You suggest that i could improvise Over the backing track, but i think that must be sometime later. I should realy like to learn to improvice, but is not ready for that yet.

I think the practice plan You have Suggest for me are perfect. I will try to practice 3 hours every day in the week.

Now i can say something i know about theory. It is not so much, but som basic things.

1. I know all 5 positions of pentatonic minor and major scale, and all 5 positions of the blues minor and major scale.

2. I know that a chord is buildt up of 1. 3. and 5. note in the major scale

3. I know about quick change in blues progression, and that a usual bluesprogression Often includes 1, 4 and 5 chords of the major scale.

4. I know some about intervals in some of the scales. Root, b3, 4, 5 and b7 in the pentatonic minor scale, and if You add b5 to the pentatonic scale it will be the blues scale. In the major scale we use 3 and 7 instead of b3 and b7.

I know nothing about Mixolydian and Dorian modes so i have a lot to learn about theory. What I sayed i know can
Of course be wrong, but it is how i think about it.

I think i have a lot to do in the folowing days, so You will not hear from me for some days smile.gif

And again thank You for Your fantastic support

Svein
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Svein! Thanks for your nice words. I'm glad to know that you find the guitar plan for this week appropriated for you. smile.gif

Thanks for your info about theory. I think that you have all the knowledge needed to dedicate some time to improvisation. This is usually the moment when we just let our mind create, and at the same time we help to make the connection between mind and hands smoother, and what's even more important we train our ears. That's why I suggest dedicating some minutes every day to just make music which should be our main goal at every stage of practice.

In this lesson you can check some ideas for working on improvisation: HERE.

Another very useful tip to get the most of the lessons is to use the backings to practice and create variations of the licks learnt, and combine them with your own phrasing. I think that this is mostly applicable for "musical" lessons and it's the best to incorporate the licks to your playing and make them yours.

However, this are just suggestions based on my own experience and my experience with students. If you don't feel comfortable doing this you can let if for later. wink.gif
Sveina60
Hi Gabriel

Now it's a week since I started the lessons, and I have worked hard 3 hours every day. It realy go forward, but it need much more work to get all three lessons down, so i think the current routine is ok for the vacation period.

If I have more time left I will start to practice on the "beginner soloing #1".

I realy need to practice a lot on my picking hand and the synchronizaton of both hands, so wich lesson do You think i should go for after the "picking hand basics". It must be a lesson that take me to a higher level then the "picking hand basics", but not to hard to master.

My goal is to share a video of the "picking hand basics" before Friday.
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Svein! Great to know that you are feeling good with the current routine! smile.gif

About your question, I think that you could work on this lesson after "picking hand basics": http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-2/

It's a bit more demanding but I think that it's the next step! What do you think? smile.gif
Sveina60
Hi Gabriel

I like the lesson you suggest.

I should make a video, but here is a audio file of the "picking hand basic" instead of.
i know that it is a lot to work with the lesson before it's perfect, but it is a first try.

https://soundcloud.com/user194970809/pickinghandbasic01

Svein

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! This is much better than what I expected!! You are very close to master this lesson! There are still some timing issues when you play the triplets and the 16th notes but the overall is sounding good. Your AP sound clear and consistent. Just focus on timing of the parts that I said and you will be ready to start with the next lesson! Well done!

Keep on the great job! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.