Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice On A Midi Controller
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Chris S.
Hey guys!

So I've been getting into synth sounds recently to try and experiment with using them creativity with guitar and I have run into a dilemma:

Right now I am loading the VSTs into my DAW and creating a MIDI item and keying everything in from the DAW - which is proving to be slow and not as hands on - so I am thinking it's time for a starter MIDI controller.

My question is: Do I spend $150-$200 on a MIDI controller or do I spend $35 and get a MIDI to USB cable and use my Casio 88 Key Digital piano instead?

The Casio would be great because it has a full range with touch sensitivity (not sure if this is the right term - the harder you hit the note the louder it is). So this would work great with any piano and string type synths.

On the other hand a midi controller has various knobs, sliders and wheels that go hand in hand with synth sounds.

I guess both would be a good investment, I'm just not sure which one to use first.

Thanks!
Darius Wave
When You're a guitarist, You expect every other part of stuff to be as simple as possible. I would go for M-audio keyboard or do not waste money for something between...and go already for a digital, home piano. When I was doing a research for myslef, I found some piano players agreed that in the midrange price Casio has a better keys than Yamaha for example - it refers only to digital piano like CDP series. Hope that's helps just a bit

BTW. Yes - having keyboard is great. Even if You're a loppy player You can always quantize Your track and it takes less time than drawing everything by hand
Chris S.
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 18 2014, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When You're a guitarist, You expect every other part of stuff to be as simple as possible. I would go for M-audio keyboard or do not waste money for something between...and go already for a digital, home piano. When I was doing a research for myslef, I found some piano players agreed that in the midrange price Casio has a better keys than Yamaha for example - it refers only to digital piano like CDP series. Hope that's helps just a bit

BTW. Yes - having keyboard is great. Even if You're a loppy player You can always quantize Your track and it takes less time than drawing everything by hand

The CDP is the one that I have now.

So I should use this until I can afford a quality midi controller and not waste any money on a low end one?
Todd Simpson
Does your CDP have MIDI output? I"m actually selling my M Audio 49 key usb to midi keyboard as I've switched to using my guitar midi game controller for most things smile.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 18 2014, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The CDP is the one that I have now.

So I should use this until I can afford a quality midi controller and not waste any money on a low end one?
Bogdan Radovic
I think you should be fine with midi to USB adapter and the keyboard you already have. Hopefully there won't be any latency. I have m-audio oxygen 49 midi keyboard which I'm very happy with. It has lots of buttons on it which would be neat for controlling the DAW but I was always too lazy to configure it (you need to install additional software for those buttons to work).
Darius Wave
I meant don't waste money for anything between m-audio simple midi-usb keyboard and CDP. Casio CDP is a great digital piano for the price! For me personally it would be even a bit above my needs. I don't use any additional controllers than keys themselfs.

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 19 2014, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you should be fine with midi to USB adapter and the keyboard you already have. Hopefully there won't be any latency. I have m-audio oxygen 49 midi keyboard which I'm very happy with. It has lots of buttons on it which would be neat for controlling the DAW but I was always too lazy to configure it (you need to install additional software for those buttons to work).

To lazy You say - exactly the same thing with me. Do not want to focus too much on anything else but guitar. I have Behringer UMX49 but
I never use those controllers above the keys smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
I was already going to suggest the M-audio controller as well smile.gif That one is affordable out of what I know, but since I don't have much experience with MIDI controllers, I would think in the following manner:

- what exactly can I do with a new MIDI controller that I couldn't do with the setup you mentioned comprised of the midi cable and your old CASIO?
- how much money do I have?
- do I REALLY need the new MIDI controller?

If the answer to the last question is YES - then you could think about a possibility fitting the budget smile.gif
Chris S.
Thanks for all the great advice guys!

I think I'm going to stick with the Casio that I already have and just get a cable.

Right now I'm mostly using cheap/free VSTs so I think I can hold off on getting a new controller until I invest in more quality VSTs.

cool.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 19 2014, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the great advice guys!

I think I'm going to stick with the Casio that I already have and just get a cable.

Right now I'm mostly using cheap/free VSTs so I think I can hold off on getting a new controller until I invest in more quality VSTs.

cool.gif

It's always a matter of assesing the situation from all the perspectives at hand smile.gif The more organized and thoughtful you are, the less chances you have to spend money in a bad way and end up with something you don't really need. I for one am all for buying expensive things rather then cheap ones, but make sure that the investment is wellthought of and it will serve you on a long term. In that way, you actually save both time and money. Buying something cheap, will most likely lead you to having to replace it A LOT sooner than you would think - so being happy for not spending much spot on, but not thinking on what lies ahead, is not too good of an option wink.gif Just for a general approach which I find healthy.
Darius Wave
If You do not want Your CDP anymore You can easily send it to me tongue.gif That's exactly what I want for my home studio and nothing more. It's a great tool that would also make Your piano plaers friends be able to feel comfortable while recording some part for You as a guests smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 20 2014, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If You do not want Your CDP anymore You can easily send it to me tongue.gif That's exactly what I want for my home studio and nothing more. It's a great tool that would also make Your piano plaers friends be able to feel comfortable while recording some part for You as a guests smile.gif

It seems he wants it biggrin.gif If CDP means Casio tongue.gif Say - Darius, how's your solo album coming along, mate?
Darius Wave
Yes - CDP (100 por 200?) by Casio smile.gif

My album stucked on the drums. I'm gonna try to engage a real drummer.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 21 2014, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes - CDP (100 por 200?) by Casio smile.gif

My album stucked on the drums. I'm gonna try to engage a real drummer.

Need a recommendation? smile.gif I mean, would you work via internet?
Darius Wave
I have a few cool drummers and a good friends in here. I only consider buying a midi drumset for my home studio. I could then work with them directly...for example..inviting for a beer and ocassionaly recording some drums. In some cases having an instrument You can't play on, still can give You lots of profits smile.gif
Chris S.
Yep it's a CDP 100 - and I'm definitely going to stick with it (sorry Darius tongue.gif )

I can't wait until the day where I can finish a song let a lone an entire lam in like you guys tongue.gif

Everything I start to write it seems like I get writers block and can't develop it any further dry.gif
Cosmin Lupu
I had the same trouble as the one you are going through, when I was about 24 years old - I thought i could never be able to write a song from A to Z. Well one year later, my best friend introduced the idea of working with a DAW - writing drums, basslines, recording guitars and so on.. my world changed totally. All I did was record and arrange and write - about 65 - 70% of the stuff I wrote went to the garbage, but the ideas that remained became either GMC lessons or parts/songs in Days of Confusion.

What I would suggest here, would be to start off by recording all of your ideas and seeing which ones you like best - those will eventually inspire you to move forward with them. Create structures for and from each idea, so that you can start developing them - by structures, I mean a chain of parts linked together, such as an intro, verse, chorus, bridge and so on.

See your favorite songs and write down their structures smile.gif It's a good starting point. By all means, use your thread to share these ideas with me wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.