Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Setup And What I Would Like To Get. Help?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
gnarkill
Iv'e been playing guitar for about 13 years now, but that doesn't mean I know what I am doing or that I am any good. But about a year ago, I took all my old equipment and garbage amps and guitars and traded them into a Guitar Center and got myself some new toys. I picked up the Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR and a Line 6 Spider 4 120 watt. I also picked up the floor board to go with it.

I really liked the looks of the Hellraiser a lot, and it was recommended based on my tastes in music (In Flames, Killswitch and Trivium). And as far as the Line 6 amp, I wasnt looking for anything big, I just wanted something to explore and find a new sound for myself, as well as play with sounds that are already used by some big players. I figured a modulation amp like this would do me good to start out with as I only play by myself. I also picked up Rocksmith 2014 to learn some songs and improve my skills.

Now that I have had the Hellraiser for a year, I really like the tones and the feel. But I have determined that I HATE tuning a guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo. I have to ask, what advantage does the Floyd Rose really provide besides the whammy? I just recently found out the guitar has a coil tap, and I barely know what it does. Ive been told it only uses one coil in the pickup. But what situation would I use this?

The Spider 4 has been solid for me, as I have found lots of things I have liked, and lots of different tones. I know I LOVE the looper, but it doesnt have a very long time to record for it. It has a good amount of effects, but I wish I could have more.

After playing around enough with the Spider 4, and looking on a bunch of the lessons on GMC where a ton of the songs have presets used on the POD HD500x, I would like to know more. I want to know how you all feel about it? What advantages does it bring? I like the idea of being able to use a to play around with more tones, distortions and effects and putting them how I want.

I also am interested in some sort of metronome or drum machine. Any ideas there?

I am also interested in a really awesome looper. Perhaps something that can go for more than a few minutes. And if there is anything out there that allows me to loop multiple parts.

Final few questions, what are the advantages of the Floyd Rose? What exactly would I use the coil tap for? Any advise on making my own tones?
Todd Simpson
WELCOME TO GMC!!! smile.gif I"m Todd and I teach our Weekend Video Chat lessons and I'd love to have you come out for a jam/learning session smile.gif

Some spiff gear you have there! Got any soundcloud or youtube vids we can check out? If not, you will soon!! smile.gif

QUOTE (gnarkill @ Dec 22 2014, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iv'e been playing guitar for about 13 years now, but that doesn't mean I know what I am doing or that I am any good. But about a year ago, I took all my old equipment and garbage amps and guitars and traded them into a Guitar Center and got myself some new toys. I picked up the Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR and a Line 6 Spider 4 120 watt. I also picked up the floor board to go with it.

I really liked the looks of the Hellraiser a lot, and it was recommended based on my tastes in music (In Flames, Killswitch and Trivium). And as far as the Line 6 amp, I wasnt looking for anything big, I just wanted something to explore and find a new sound for myself, as well as play with sounds that are already used by some big players. I figured a modulation amp like this would do me good to start out with as I only play by myself. I also picked up Rocksmith 2014 to learn some songs and improve my skills.

Now that I have had the Hellraiser for a year, I really like the tones and the feel. But I have determined that I HATE tuning a guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo. I have to ask, what advantage does the Floyd Rose really provide besides the whammy? I just recently found out the guitar has a coil tap, and I barely know what it does. Ive been told it only uses one coil in the pickup. But what situation would I use this?

The Spider 4 has been solid for me, as I have found lots of things I have liked, and lots of different tones. I know I LOVE the looper, but it doesnt have a very long time to record for it. It has a good amount of effects, but I wish I could have more.

After playing around enough with the Spider 4, and looking on a bunch of the lessons on GMC where a ton of the songs have presets used on the POD HD500x, I would like to know more. I want to know how you all feel about it? What advantages does it bring? I like the idea of being able to use a to play around with more tones, distortions and effects and putting them how I want.

I also am interested in some sort of metronome or drum machine. Any ideas there?

I am also interested in a really awesome looper. Perhaps something that can go for more than a few minutes. And if there is anything out there that allows me to loop multiple parts.

Final few questions, what are the advantages of the Floyd Rose? What exactly would I use the coil tap for? Any advise on making my own tones?
Chris S.
The only wisdom, from my experience, that I can contribute is:

1. Since a locking trem locks in two areas (the nut and the bridge) it gives you an overall better tuning stability. Even if you don't use the arm to dive bomb or anything - having those two locked points will help keeping everything in tune with bending and vibrato.

Take a Strat style guitar for example, there are no areas that lock. So when you bend the string, the string can slip a little around the tuning peg if it wasn't properly winded, it can bind on the string trees or on the nut - and the ball end of the string (where you slip into the trem block) is essentially like a noose knot, So that extra tension you create while bending the string can actually tighten that noose and cause some tuning instability.

So in order to eliminate these problems on my Strat, I installed locking tuners, graphite string trees, (working on a roller nut at the moment), graphite saddles and I solder the ends of the strings where that noose is (a tip I learned from Dan Erlewine).

With all of these measures my tuning stability has increased a tremendous amount, but it's still not as good as any guitar I have played with a locking tremolo.

So long story short, once the strings have been properly stretched - a guitar with a locking trem will have a better tuning stability than a guitar without - at least with anything that I have used so far.

&

2.) A coil split/tap, essentially splits the humbucker (2 coils) into a single coil (1 coil). It's to give you more of that twangy/quacky sound that you would get with a Strat/Tele style guitar.

That being said, a split humbucker will never sound as authentic as a true single coil - in my opinion.

Hope my two cents helped a little.

biggrin.gif
Todd Simpson
Great reply!! smile.gif Some folks love locking trems, some folks hate them. The main thing they are for is to allow tuning stability. However, if not setup properly, they can be a real pain in the neck. They are not for everyone. If you like to tinker a bit with things, it will be fine smile.gif If you are annoyed by having to adjust things all the time until they are right, you may want to skip it.

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 22 2014, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only wisdom, from my experience, that I can contribute is:

1. Since a locking trem locks in two areas (the nut and the bridge) it gives you an overall better tuning stability. Even if you don't use the arm to dive bomb or anything - having those two locked points will help keeping everything in tune with bending and vibrato.

Take a Strat style guitar for example, there are no areas that lock. So when you bend the string, the string can slip a little around the tuning peg if it wasn't properly winded, it can bind on the string trees or on the nut - and the ball end of the string (where you slip into the trem block) is essentially like a noose knot, So that extra tension you create while bending the string can actually tighten that noose and cause some tuning instability.

So in order to eliminate these problems on my Strat, I installed locking tuners, graphite string trees, (working on a roller nut at the moment), graphite saddles and I solder the ends of the strings where that noose is (a tip I learned from Dan Erlewine).

With all of these measures my tuning stability has increased a tremendous amount, but it's still not as good as any guitar I have played with a locking tremolo.

So long story short, once the strings have been properly stretched - a guitar with a locking trem will have a better tuning stability than a guitar without - at least with anything that I have used so far.

&

2.) A coil split/tap, essentially splits the humbucker (2 coils) into a single coil (1 coil). It's to give you more of that twangy/quacky sound that you would get with a Strat/Tele style guitar.

That being said, a split humbucker will never sound as authentic as a true single coil - in my opinion.

Hope my two cents helped a little.

biggrin.gif
Mertay
Your gear selections are pretty good, nice replies here too.

I actually blocker my floyd type tremolo, like this;

So it goes down but not up! tuning is easy and very stable, sustain increased...but this must be done by someone very confident or a luthier right before an overall setup. This is the affordable type as its always there, some even cut wood and its basically free to make.

There is a reversible one thats more expensive called tremol-no, check out the youtube demos and see if you need such flexibility.

I use split or arpeggio stuff usually as it doesn't sound Fender-like. Nice to have but not something there to be used always, really depends on the user.

As for gear, I use the computer like you use your amp fx or hd500. I do like my subtly working tubescreamer between the guitar and digital fx, gives a better feel to the guitar.
gnarkill
Yeah, its actually pretty funny I recently decided to start playing some Drop C, and in order to accommodate, I put on some 56 top, 11 bottom strings. They are pretty gnarly. But then my bridge was sitting WAAAAY above level. I was getting so upset that I couldnt tune it back to Standard with out the bridge sitting way too high. Watched a video... just tightened the springs in the back, and that solved everything. After a year of owning the guitar, I would say I finally understand how to adjust it properly.

@Mertay- that video was very informative. At the very end there he talked about how much of a pain it is to drop D or C (what I have experienced too). He said that this solves this. I am very interested to try.

Can you talk to me about the POD HD500x? I am seriously debating on getting one. Tho I am not sure if its going to be that big of an upgrade over the Line 6 Spider 4 amp I have.

Can anyone recommend a good metronome or drum machine for me?

Also, any advise on making my own tones?
Mertay
Yeah it should work, I first tried by glueing coins (coins together, not on guitar) smile.gif thought it would work better than wood and easier to make cause I don't have a saw at home, the coins stayed there for almost a year so I decided to make it permanent.

I can't give much advice on hd500 or compare to your current amp, but noticed as you also want a looper and metronome/drum machine maybe its time to move things to the computer?

In the 90's everybody I know bought drum machines, loopers or cassette 4-track recorders and all that was to improve by jamming. Today though for home use the computer can do all of this, I'm only not sure of the looper cause I never use one.

Also programs like guitar rig, TH2 etc. sounds pretty good. I recently listened a 10 year old axe fx unit (can't remember model) and honestly thought its no better than what we have on computer today.
gnarkill
Mertay, I like the sounds of that! How much would it cost? Does it have all the effects and amp sounds I would ever need? Could I make it work on a taptop? I currently dont have a desktop, though we were thinking about getting a very nice one for her work (and for my guitar apparently).

But all I use it for is personal use at home, so the computer idea sounds nice.

*edit* A quick search, and I dont really know what I am looking at with the computer programs. But I will keep looking.
Mertay
QUOTE (gnarkill @ Dec 23 2014, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mertay, I like the sounds of that! How much would it cost? Does it have all the effects and amp sounds I would ever need? Could I make it work on a taptop? I currently dont have a desktop, though we were thinking about getting a very nice one for her work (and for my guitar apparently).

But all I use it for is personal use at home, so the computer idea sounds nice.

*edit* A quick search, and I dont really know what I am looking at with the computer programs. But I will keep looking.

The computer doesn't have to be super strong (I use a 5 year old desktop, so I guess a newer laptop should be fine), but you will need a recording oriented soundcard (check m-audio or focusrite affordable USB models) and speakers that are loud/big enough (can be affordable) for you to enjoy playing guitar through computer. Program prices vary but there are a lot of freeware too besides the expensive ones.

Maybe opening another topic here specific to this would be more helpful. But before that make sure to search this forum as much as possible so you'll at least have a basic idea and members can help you with the details like computer specs, software etc....
Chris S.
I personally like the Avid 11 Rack over the POD - a much more organic tone compared to the line 6.

I got mine without Pro Tools for about $300USD which was a steal.

Special thanks to Mr. Todd Simpson for introducing me to it cool.gif

EDIT: there are plenty of videos on youtube comparing both - check some out to see which you prefer
Cosmin Lupu
To suport Chris' post smile.gif I thought you might be interested in this:

Todd Simpson
Well said smile.gif The 11 rack is around the same price and IMHO is far superior on sound and amp sim quality. Also has a XLR MIC in so you can record a guitar amp or accousitc guitar or vocals with a mic.

I've tried the POD products they are KILLER On FX!! Great Sounding FX on pod and pod pro!! The only place they fall down IMHO is super high gain. For that all the pod products I've tried turn super fizzy sad.gif Here is a crazy high gain patch on the 11 rack that I built. It's waaaaay over the top but a good example of how far the 11 rack can go. To 11 smile.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 23 2014, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally like the Avid 11 Rack over the POD - a much more organic tone compared to the line 6.

I got mine without Pro Tools for about $300USD which was a steal.

Special thanks to Mr. Todd Simpson for introducing me to it cool.gif

EDIT: there are plenty of videos on youtube comparing both - check some out to see which you prefer
gnarkill
A quick search on the Avid 11 and I like what I see, however it does appear to be more expensive and I cannot seem to find it without Pro Tools. To be completely honest, I dont even know what Pro Tools is.

The video posted by Cosmin was kind of revealing. I hope as the POD evolved, that the sounds got better. But yeah, the Avid sounds much much better.

Todd, do they have the same amount of features, effects, cabs, and amps? I'm more of a metal guy myself. So I would be wanting those sorts of sounds.

*edit* The one thing that I know right away, I do like the floor model of the POD HD 500, I think I prefer it to a rack model of the Avid. But sound does make a difference in what I buy. I dont really have a big rig to connect my rack model to.
Cosmin Lupu
I'm glad if I could help smile.gif Well, the question here would be - are you going to use the AVID at home, or onstage? If there's no proprietary solution in respect to adding a controller, I would recommend this one:

It's around 150 bucks and there's no better solution in terms of a midi foot controller that ggoes cheaper and sturdier than this one smile.gif
gnarkill
I would be using it at home. But when I practice, I like to change sounds quickly, loop, and all that fun stuff. Im looking into the Avid 11. I am strongly considering this. Do you think it can serve as an amp? For example, I just need this and a cab, right?
jstcrsn
I would go for the 11, it has some extra features when it comes to recording.As far as a drum machine , I would get EZdrummer 2 and reaper.You would have to set up drums and tracks ( a little harder than a drum machine), but as you would have those three items , you would not need much else to start into the wonderful world of recording/mixing
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (gnarkill @ Dec 30 2014, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be using it at home. But when I practice, I like to change sounds quickly, loop, and all that fun stuff. Im looking into the Avid 11. I am strongly considering this. Do you think it can serve as an amp? For example, I just need this and a cab, right?

Hmmm, I understand - about the cab and options in this direction - I think Todd knows best, as out of what I know, he is an AVID user. If I judge things based on logic, you would need a power amp and cabinet or you can hook up the AVID to the PC and work your way around the cab and power amp - Todd will most likely correct me, if I am wrong wink.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 31 2014, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would go for the 11, it has some extra features when it comes to recording.As far as a drum machine , I would get EZdrummer 2 and reaper.You would have to set up drums and tracks ( a little harder than a drum machine), but as you would have those three items , you would not need much else to start into the wonderful world of recording/mixing

Writing drums from scratch using virtual instruments such as the EZ Drummer or Superior drummer, will only expand and enrich your understanding of music and experience as an arranger. So, do go for it and don't get scared by the idea of having to write a drum track that serves your song. I know many folks that aren't used to doing so and get stuck in using pattern grooves provided by the EX/Superior Drummer.

The amazing Ola Englund explains a thing or two in this video wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.