Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Jacks, Switches, Pots
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Jim S.
Since Just a little boy I collected audio equipment. Mostly by Junk Picking. People loved throwing away amps and speakers. To this day I still have 3 amps and some pretty loud speakers. 15" monsters that would shake a house. Recently I decided to bring them home and give the house some needed vibrations. I also decided to fix up the best amp and found that I had a real gem of an amp. Yamaha cr-2020 which needed taken apart and cleaned. After taking the whole front of the amp off and de soldered the volume pots out I discovered that this style of pot couldn't be taken apart with out destroying it. I stopped and put it all back together and opted for a cheaper solution. I found Deox spray from RadioShack and gave all of the controls and inputs a quick spray and wipe with a q-tip and literally within seconds the amp became like new. Seriously! No scratchy pots, no crackling from the Rca jacks and damn was it clear. Extremely clear.

I turn around and see my 70's Jazz amp and gave it a quick spray.Bam!!!! Loving the sound of it. Changed the entire tonality.

Never have I ever cleaned any wire or put treatments on connectors but I will now.

At my shop I have a 70's peavey stack with a bunch of pedals that I can't wait to treat. Do a little research on good products and keep that end of your equipment maintained.

Peace!
fkalich
I use a can of that, electronics cleaner, I also get it from Radio Shack. You really need to clean your tube prongs and sockets, that is often the problem with tube amps acting up. Also great for the pickup selector switch when it is not working right. I learned about this from Eurotubes, also from a luthier about the pickup selector switch on guitars.
Jim S.
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jan 12 2015, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use a can of that, electronics cleaner, I also get it from Radio Shack. You really need to clean your tube prongs and sockets, that is often the problem with tube amps acting up. Also great for the pickup selector switch when it is not working right. I learned about this from Eurotubes, also from a luthier about the pickup selector switch on guitars.

Oh man don't even get me started, I'm about to take a bath in that stuff...lol

I shall definitely be cleaning those too... Thanks!
Chris S.
One of the reasons I use CTS potentiometers is because if they ever do start to be scratchy is you can shoot cleaner into them just by taking the knobs off cool.gif

I do agree though, keeping everything maintained is an important responsibility!
klasaine
Anyone who plays an electric instrument (or wants to fix a stereo) needs this ...

Click to view attachment

Caig 'De-oxIT D5' to clean and pro-gold G5 to protect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.