Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anese's Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Gabriel Leopardi
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army, my mentoring program. Here I will guide you with your guitar practice, creating routines, practice plans, giving feedback of your playing always based on your guitar goals and musical tastes.

Before we start I would like to know a bit more about you.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

Anese
Hello Gabriel
Thanks for accepting me in your monitoring program .
sorry for the late reply btw.
here's some of info about me that might help you.
- been playing guitar since 2008 at first I was playing only classical guitar
you can watch some of my crappy vids in the links below smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKVhBfCDSjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPpHVtWyM_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xqOFcgPaG0

I was always interested in electric guitar but unfortunately western music is not very popular where I live
so I was lucky to find someone who could teach me classic guitar just to get the basic knowledge of the instrument
then last year I decide to start looking on the internet to learn what I actually liked about the instrument.

I love a lot of kinds of music not only rock and metal
but in this area I like bands such as Manowar, Megadeth, Ironmaiden, Metallica, Sabbath, Dethklok,
zztop, the Georgia satellites, red hot chilli peppers, tenariwen, pinkfloyd, eric clapton, satriani, steve via. guns n roses I also like blues and folk metal but I cant recall any favorite band at the moment.
in five years from now .. I can't be specific about this but I surly want to grab my guitar and rock out real good ASAP smile.gif
maybe I'd start to make clean good covers of my favorite solos and bands .. compose some good solos and guitar riffs.. to upload on my channel !! since that's the only stage I can rely on where I live.

I can practice from 2 to 3 hrs everyday.

I havent played live before, no .. not even with my friends .. haven’t known anyone who share the same passion before.

what's my weakest and strongest points ? I guess I still know little about guitar to answer that properly.. but in a technical point of view .. Id say that my hands tends to sweat a little and that makes the whole playing experience uncomfortable .. but it doesn’t bother so much till now except in the summer where the weather gets too hot.

I know the basic stuff about music theory .. timing, major and minor chord construction, major and minor scales, the pentatonic scale ..

yes I can record my self .. I use guitar Rig and a cheap webcam .. I guess you've seen my vids in the Rec Room before
but once I guess better in playing I'll spend some money on a good cam and learn more about making good videos.

wanna c some vids ? watch the links above and you can also check my posts in the Rec room.

btw way I have worked with Cosmin before on the two lesson
and the lesson I'm working on right now is Ben's vibrato odyssey I'll upload my take here..
I’m not done with it yet I still have more work to do on it.
check it out and let me know what you think.

if you have any more questions plz let me know.

Tnx

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 2 2015, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Anese! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army, my mentoring program. Here I will guide you with your guitar practice, creating routines, practice plans, giving feedback of your playing always based on your guitar goals and musical tastes.

Before we start I would like to know a bit more about you.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.
]

Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese! Thanks for this info! Your classical guitar videos are really cool. I think that having learn to play that stuff is a great background for you. I remember Zakk Wylde saying on an interview that he took classical guitar lessons and then when he switched to electric he used that technique combined with pick in an hybrid technique called Hybrid Picking, and he is a monster on it!

I've been also checking some of your REC takes, picking hand, power chords. Could you please post here the last take of each of the GMC lessons that you've worked?

Anese
Hello Gabriel

Here's the link for my last takes on the the power chord and picking hand lessons

Power Chord Lesson
Picking hand lesson

I also anttached an Audio take I recorded yesterday for Ben's Vibrato lesson which I'm still working on

Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate! Thanks for the links. I think that your take on the alternate picking lesson is good so you are ready for the next step on this technique. I was thinking on this lesson that combines legato with alternate picking, in order to incorporate the work over a new technique: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...cking_beginner/

and in order to continue your work on power chords but on a more "musical" situation, I think that a lesson like this one can work: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Classi...nk-Sex-Pistols/

I have many lessons in the style of at this level so you can check my archive to choose another lesson that covers the style of a band that you like more. Check my archive HERE

What do you think?

Anese
Hello Gabriel
I have looked through both of the lessons, and they seemed fine to me, I have not looked through all of your rock rhythm lessons yet, but if I found a one that i liked more I'd let you know. however, I'd rather finish working on my vibrato lesson and take it to the REC room before I step on the new lessons . so have you listen to my vibrato lesson take ? what do you think?
if you have other practice plans, please let me know.
Thank you
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese, your plan sounds good to me.

Your vibrato work is evolving good. There are many parts that sound really good while some others need still to be polished. I notice that there are some moments the rhythm of your vibrato doesn't go with the groove of the backing (ex: 00:25), and there are also some pitch issues, mostly when you move to higher notes (for example at 00:12). The last notes of the lesson have more notorious pitch issues (00:55).

To clarify, I think that your take on this lesson is not bad, but you have to focus on this details to master it. Practicing over the original lesson can really help for this.

Anese
Hello Gabriel
thanks for your feed back
I've playing the first three part here
can you check and let me know how is it. specially about the rhythm in the third part.
i also tried to upload the Guitarrig setting files that I use, to show the settings and amp im using but unfortunately
it says i can not upload these kind of files.
Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate, rhythm is much better on this new take. There is still some room to make the 8th notes and triplets even tighter but you are very close. Practice the tune a bit more over the original lesson and then get back to the backings track, I think that you'll master this soon.

About guitar rig files, I think that you can share them if you first zip the files. Try it and let me know.
Anese
Hello Gab
thanks for that
here's a zipped Guitar rig file attached, Id like you to see if I can find a better setting close to the original lesson
tone color, if you have please zip it and send it over to me.
I hope I can nail this one by the end of next week can't wait to start working on new stuff happy.gif
thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese, what version of Guitar Rig are you using?

Anese
version 5.0.2 (R2476), why ?
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Anese @ Mar 16 2015, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
version 5.0.2 (R2476), why ?

ok! to be able to open it because I don't use it! I'll check if there is a demo version to open your preset.

By the way, could you please share some print screens to let me see your current settings?
Anese
hello Gabriel
here i attached two screens, this was a preset already included in Guitar rig, I had to change some nobs to get a better sound.
even though it seems complicated but this is the only one i could find which is so close to the original lesson tone color.
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate, thanks for the print screens. You say that you can't get a similar color and it's normal because if you check Ben's lesson he adds in the description that he is using a Marshall amp while your patch is build based on a mesa boogie amp. Those presets usually have complex combinations of modules that can confuse so I recommend you to start a new preset build with a simple chain:

Guitar - Ov Pedal - Marshall Amp - Cabinet

Check out Ben's details about settings:

Gear: Marshall JVM 410H, OD1 channel (Red setting) Bass - 1 Mid - 9 Treb - 6 Gain - 3

There you also have the EQ balance that can be a starting point. Please try it and let me know what happens.
Anese
Hello Gabriel
I tried some combinations of what you suggested I got some good sounds but I feel
more comfortable with the preset that I previously used.
however I was trying to work on that last B-string note of the vibrato lesson ..please listen and let me know
what you think.
Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Well, this amp that you are using will have more sustain and mid bass frequencies than Marshall so if you like it more you can keep it since that's related to your taste and can help to develop your own tone/style.

The audio sample sounds good. The vibration could be a bit wider to reach the original but the speed is very close. How does it sound over the backing?

Anese
Hello Gab
sorry that took a little while but did my best to make it sound as close as possible.
I played the last part along with the backing track.. there are several chops ..listen and let me know what you think
Thanks
Anese
Hello Gabriel
I noticed that my guitar volume was a bit louder than the backing track and I thought it would sound better if i lower the volume.
here's another take I recorded today.
check it and let me know what you think.
thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese, thanks for the audio. I can say that your vibrato is evolving well but the pitch that you are reaching is not precise. The slower vibrato is a bit lower than the pitch while the faster is higher. The timing is ok, but you have to be careful with pitches.

Does it make sense?
Anese
Hello Gabriel
I hope this one is better, listen and let me kn0ow what you think
thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate, the first half is much better, the second (faster) is below the pitch now, so try a bit higher but not as high as the previous take. Ok?
Anese
Hello Gab
how about this one
thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese, it's again a bit better than the previous one. The rhythm of your vibrato goes ok with the backing, but the second one (faster) is still a bit lower than the correct pitch. Please keep on working on it.
Anese
Hello again Gab
I tried to raise the pitch a bit more, do i need more ?
tmx
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese, yes, this is better now. It still need practice to sound more consistent and regular but you are on the right track. I'd like to hear you playing the whole lesson, and if it's possible on a video. smile.gif
Anese
Hello Gabriel
Check these two takes.
Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese! Great job! You did a very good job with this lesson. It's ok if you continue practicing it being careful with pitch, but you are now ready to start to apply this technique on more musical lessons and your own phrasing.

Congrats for the great and hard work!

Anese
many tnx for your advice and guidance Gab,
You were really helpful.
I'll bring this to the Rec room and see what the others think about it.
Tnx again.
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Anese @ May 11 2015, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
many tnx for your advice and guidance Gab,
You were really helpful.
I'll bring this to the Rec room and see what the others think about it.
Tnx again.

Great idea. REC is great to know different points of views. Go for it! I'll grade your take there too.
Anese
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 8 2015, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mate! Thanks for the links. I think that your take on the alternate picking lesson is good so you are ready for the next step on this technique. I was thinking on this lesson that combines legato with alternate picking, in order to incorporate the work over a new technique: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...cking_beginner/

and in order to continue your work on power chords but on a more "musical" situation, I think that a lesson like this one can work: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Classi...nk-Sex-Pistols/

I have many lessons in the style of at this level so you can check my archive to choose another lesson that covers the style of a band that you like more. Check my archive HERE

What do you think?

Hello Gabriel
Thank you for rating me in the REC room.
Do you think I should move on to the lessons you suggested a while back ?
I checked both lessons and they seem quiet enjoying.
if you agree with me. do you suggest to work on both lessons simultaneously ? if not, then which one I suppose to start with?
or do you have any particular practicing plan ?
let me know what you think
Thanks

Gabriel Leopardi
This depends on you, but if you ask me, I would work on both since they cover different and important topics. It's important to divide your time to work enough each one. You can work on 1 new part of each every day of the week and after a week you should have learnt both, then it's time to connect everything and practice.

Anese
Hello Gabriel
here's my first go on the first part of the picking and legato lesson.
i used a slow downer to practice the lesson. the recorder take is at 95% speed.
is it ok to use such method for practicing?

Also while playing the legato notes i muted the lower string with my middle finger and kept moving it up to the next string as
I play up the fret beard. is that right or wrong ?

let me know what you think.

Thank you
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi mate, the lick on the audio sample sounds great, good job!

I don't get what you mean in your question. It's ok to mute the strings that you are not playing but I should see how you do it. Do you have a video?

Anese
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 18 2015, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mate, the lick on the audio sample sounds great, good job!

I don't get what you mean in your question. It's ok to mute the strings that you are not playing but I should see how you do it. Do you have a video?

Hello Gabriel
I don't think I would be able to get the angle with a video.
Let me explain here...
When you pull off a string u accidentally hit the next lower string by the pull off finger. So I muted that string with my middle finger of my picking hand.. And I as I move to the next string to play another pull off - hammer on line.. I (move /tilth) my picking hand slightly up and place my muddle finger on the string beneath the string which I'm playing the hammer on pull off notes on to muted as well and so on.
Get it??
Don't forget to tell me if it's acceptable to practice with a slow downer or not.

Thanks man
Anese
Hello again Gabriel

I was trying to find a good sound for the punk rock lesson.
check this preset sound i found on guitar rig. how does it sound ?
also tell me what do you think about my timing for the first two chords.

there's also my first attempt on the G scale part for the legato lesson, it feels a bit noisy to me .. listen and let me know what you think

Thank you
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Anese @ May 18 2015, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Gabriel
I don't think I would be able to get the angle with a video.
Let me explain here...
When you pull off a string u accidentally hit the next lower string by the pull off finger. So I muted that string with my middle finger of my picking hand.. And I as I move to the next string to play another pull off - hammer on line.. I (move /tilth) my picking hand slightly up and place my muddle finger on the string beneath the string which I'm playing the hammer on pull off notes on to muted as well and so on.
Get it??
Don't forget to tell me if it's acceptable to practice with a slow downer or not.

Thanks man

Ah ok, now I get it. I mute the closer lower string to what I'm playing with the index of my fretting hand. Even when I'm playing a fret with that finger, I use it in a way that besides pressing the fret, it mutes a bit the lower string, and also as a bare mutes all the higher ones. So this finger combined with the palm or my right hand for lower strings is enough to mute the strings that I'm not playing. Try it and let me know if you need help.

About practicing with slow downer, yeah! It's a great tool! Go for it.

QUOTE (Anese @ May 18 2015, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello again Gabriel

I was trying to find a good sound for the punk rock lesson.
check this preset sound i found on guitar rig. how does it sound ?
also tell me what do you think about my timing for the first two chords.

there's also my first attempt on the G scale part for the legato lesson, it feels a bit noisy to me .. listen and let me know what you think

Thank you

The tone for the Sex Pistol lesson is ok, I think that I would set it with a bit less drive since it's not necessary to make it so dirty being a rhythm tone. About your timing, it's ok, maybe it's a very little before the beat but I'm being very strict, it's ok, just focus on it when you play it.

The lick sounds good. It has some little moments when the sound is dirty and it's related to the fact that you play the following string without muting totally the previous one. The more precise you are with this the cleaner all the notes will sound.

Anese
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 19 2015, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The lick sounds good. It has some little moments when the sound is dirty and it's related to the fact that you play the following string without muting totally the previous one. The more precise you are with this the cleaner all the notes will sound.

Hello Gabriel
How are you doin ?
Thank you very much for explaining your muting technique.
I had to start up from the begining again and adapt both of my hands to follow your advice... I think this sound
much better than the previous one .. have a listen and let me know what you think...

you'll also find scree shots for the presets i'm using for both lessons .. have a look .. and tell me if you have any tweaks to do ..
when looking to all those buttons knobs It feel like a pilot capenet to me biggrin.gif .

talk to you soon

Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Great! You can check out this lesson about muting, which includes musical uses as well but that can give you an overall idea of this concept: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...g-101-tutorial/

About your tone, I think that it's good on the audio that you sent so I don't feel you need to do some specific tweak, however it's always good to experiment with this to get used to the different tones you can get modifying different settings. The only thing that I commented is about the quantity of drive, this can be lowered from the amp or from the overdrive pedal, just experiment with it.
Anese
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 22 2015, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great! You can check out this lesson about muting, which includes musical uses as well but that can give you an overall idea of this concept: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...g-101-tutorial/

About your tone, I think that it's good on the audio that you sent so I don't feel you need to do some specific tweak, however it's always good to experiment with this to get used to the different tones you can get modifying different settings. The only thing that I commented is about the quantity of drive, this can be lowered from the amp or from the overdrive pedal, just experiment with it.

Hello Gabriel
I will check the muting tutorial.. thank you for referring that lesson.. I was looking through youtube the other day about such a thing .. i didnt know that I could find something like this in here...

for the Punk Rock tone .. I understand that I can control the drive from the Screamer Pedal by turning down the drive knob..but while doing that I dont hear any kind of changes.. but while turning down the preamp knop from the amp .. I start to hear less distortion... so I believe that's the way to do it in this case.
I'll post a take with the preset screenshot later on.

Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Yes! The overdrive reacts different depending on the settings that you are using on the amp so if you have a lot of drive on the amp, the overdrive will make the sound a bit dirtier and add sustain but if you lower drive from it, you won't notice a big change.
Anese
Hello Gabreil
how are you >
have a listen to this part and let me know what you think.
now since I have to start working on connecting the whole thing together .. do you have any method or way to practice that ?
I noticed that as I progress to new part of the track my muscle memory tends to get weaker and loses track of the previous parts ...
Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese, it sounds great!

In order to start connecting the different parts, it's good to work on connecting 2 parts first. This means that you will start creating bigger blocks now, that then you'll connect again in even bigger parts. It should be a progressive process, does it make sense?
Anese
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 27 2015, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Anese, it sounds great!

In order to start connecting the different parts, it's good to work on connecting 2 parts first. This means that you will start creating bigger blocks now, that then you'll connect again in even bigger parts. It should be a progressive process, does it make sense?

Hello Gabreil
I tried to connect the first two parts and somehow the third part started to take shape too.
this take is at 85% speed playing along the backing track.

so what do you think ?
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese! Excellent work! That's what I meant! This sounds very promising, keep going!
Anese
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 29 2015, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Anese! Excellent work! That's what I meant! This sounds very promising, keep going!

Hello Gabriel
Thanks for your feed back.
I missed some notes there but it's not a big deal the
Only thing I'm struggling to do it is the last vibrato note
On the D scale. it's kinda difficult to do a vibrato right after lagato.

The second thing im worried about is when I tried to play the first three parts over the metronome I couldn't do it. Well it didn't sound cool and I didnt want to force my brain to do something boring.
But when I tried to play over the backing track .,..bam!! Everything flew so naturally from the first go no matter what speed I choose.
So is that a problem??
Talk to you soon
Ah... Don't think I forgot to practice the punk lesson im working on that as well. .
Thanks
Anese
Hello again Gabriel
here's another take attached ... this one is smother and i managed to raise the tempo to 95%.
Thanks
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Anese @ May 29 2015, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Gabriel
Thanks for your feed back.
I missed some notes there but it's not a big deal the
Only thing I'm struggling to do it is the last vibrato note
On the D scale. it's kinda difficult to do a vibrato right after lagato.

The second thing im worried about is when I tried to play the first three parts over the metronome I couldn't do it. Well it didn't sound cool and I didnt want to force my brain to do something boring.
But when I tried to play over the backing track .,..bam!! Everything flew so naturally from the first go no matter what speed I choose.
So is that a problem??
Talk to you soon
Ah... Don't think I forgot to practice the punk lesson im working on that as well. .
Thanks

mm that's not a big problem, if you can play tight over drums, you should be able to do it over metronome after some little practice. Drummer divides the beat with hihat and that helps, so when you play over metronome, you should imagine the hihat sounding over the beat in 8th, you can use your head to make it easier. For example, if you move your head down with the beat and keep it moving groovy, the second 8th note will happen every time your head gets back to normal position.... does it make sense?

QUOTE (Anese @ May 29 2015, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello again Gabriel
here's another take attached ... this one is smother and i managed to raise the tempo to 95%.
Thanks

Great to see this one evolving! The legato sections are less tight than the picking ones, but you're on the right track, just keep on the hard work! smile.gif
Anese
Hello Gabriel
lets see how i'm doing on the punk song
and once again thanks for help.
have a good day.
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Anese! This sounds really good! Your playing is very tight and precise on the chords and melodic sections. You just have to learn the last measures and record a take for REC program. You'll be ready in a few days.

About your tone, I feel that it has too much distortion, maybe lowering drive could help to make it sound more classic punk style. Experiment and let me know what happens.

Congrats!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.