Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kemper Guys? Mesa Guys?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Todd Simpson
Before I sell a kidney and buy this mini RECTO, someone with a KEMPER tell me if they have been able to profile this amp and does it sound like this? I realize part of this is the man himself wink.gif I know at least one GMCer has this amp and a kemper!

SpaseMoonkey
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/real-fake-fakefx/

My ears are ringing! laugh.gif

Round 1: Real
Rhythm: Bridge Pickup, Graphic EQ V, with all knobs down but treble which is full on, gain/presence/volume set to noon.
Lead: Same as Rhythm except Graphic EQ V slightly boosted mid.

Round 2: Fake
Pretty much everything across the board set to noon. Difference was lead was set to neck and rolled down the volume a bit.

Round 3:
Left is the Frog Studio Rectifier. Bass: 11 , Mids: 12 , Highs 12:30. Some delay.
Right Frog Studio Engl. Bass: 12 , Mids: 2 , Highs: 1. Slight Reverb
Solo: Dual Rect. Bass: 12 , Mids 3 , Highs: 1. Reverb, Delay, Stereo Widener, Flanger.

All mixed Raw nothing is EQ'd other than a limit to bring up the levels.
Mertay
...And just recently you got the Soldano biggrin.gif

Keep the kidney smile.gif Wether modern clean or dist. tones (tones you like and use) seriously check out the taurus amp; http://www.taurus-amp.pl/guitar/stomp-head...in/sh-4-hg.html

I demoed it in a store with a nice Fender cab. and loved the cleans. Its not versatile like a Mesa, can't mimic other amps but sound great for modern stuff. Darius is the expert with these I'm sure he'll help with any detail.
klasaine
Way more gain than I'd ever use but that is a bitchin' little amp!
Todd Simpson
Thanks smile.gif Quick questions?

1.)Have you been able to PROFILE your mini recto or is it easier to just download a profile of the same amp that's already done?

2.)Do you find the recto sounds great in the room but is sometimes harder than the kemper to get "in the box" e.g get the tone from the amp actually in to the computer?

I just keep watching petrucci and this amp just keeps blowing me away. I can't believe they stuffed that much tone in that small a foot print without using anything digital.

Tell me the truth though, which do you reach for? the mini recto or the kemper recto preset?

Todd

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ May 26 2015, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/real-fake-fakefx/

My ears are ringing! laugh.gif

Round 1: Real
Rhythm: Bridge Pickup, Graphic EQ V, with all knobs down but treble which is full on, gain/presence/volume set to noon.
Lead: Same as Rhythm except Graphic EQ V slightly boosted mid.

Round 2: Fake
Pretty much everything across the board set to noon. Difference was lead was set to neck and rolled down the volume a bit.

Round 3:
Left is the Frog Studio Rectifier. Bass: 11 , Mids: 12 , Highs 12:30. Some delay.
Right Frog Studio Engl. Bass: 12 , Mids: 2 , Highs: 1. Slight Reverb
Solo: Dual Rect. Bass: 12 , Mids 3 , Highs: 1. Reverb, Delay, Stereo Widener, Flanger.

All mixed Raw nothing is EQ'd other than a limit to bring up the levels.

Kristofer Dahl
I think it's important to understand that what the kemper does is 'just' to digitally replicate the audio signal coming from the mic used to capture any amp (minus the IR/reverb part of the sound). The algo is refinded to the point that it works flawlessly for 99% of all amps. And I have found great rectifier profiles.

However - very few people can mic up a rectifier amp to have it professionally sit well in a mix. So this is where the issues lies.

If I had a rectfier, my answer to you would be no - I probably wouldn't be able to profile it in a way that would sound awesome to you.

Hope it makes sense? I don't want you to sacrifice your kidney in vain ph34r.gif
SpaseMoonkey
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 27 2015, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks smile.gif Quick questions?

1.)Have you been able to PROFILE your mini recto or is it easier to just download a profile of the same amp that's already done?

2.)Do you find the recto sounds great in the room but is sometimes harder than the kemper to get "in the box" e.g get the tone from the amp actually in to the computer?

I just keep watching petrucci and this amp just keeps blowing me away. I can't believe they stuffed that much tone in that small a foot print without using anything digital.

Tell me the truth though, which do you reach for? the mini recto or the kemper recto preset?

Todd

1.) I've never profiled my Mark 5:25, they have a ton of profiles made of the bigger brother. All geared towards JPs tones.

2.) When I owned my Recto, I hated trying to mic it. Had to be way to loud for it to sound right for me to record it.

The Kemper is pretty much plug and play when I record things. Most of the time I just leave everything set to noon and have little tweaks and go. The Mark 5:25 I feel I can never get what I want. Oh I got a nice rhythm ok cool, great now I have to play around with everything to get the lead. Kemper I may toss on a boost, some reverb, a chorus, flanger, or phazer on a super low amount to just give it a wider effect. Nothing else is even touched in the preset as far as knobs.

I'll answer this the easier way. Typically when I get home from work I turn the Kemper on and I turn it off when I go to bed. The Mark 5:25 I've had since February, I bet I have less than 10 hours of time on it.

I'm waiting on the new Rocktron Velocity 300. I may get that and toss it on the Kemper then I can get recording and in the room.
Todd Simpson
Well said!!! The mysticall "AMP IN THE ROOM TONE" is only as good as the person trying to get it back in the BOX (computer. smile.gif

I tried wads of mic positions for my first demo of the MYASNIKOV preamp on the cabinet. Then was utterly stunned by how much better it sounded in the loop of my 11 rack recorded direct.

**EXAMPLE A ( 3 hours of tedious mic placement)

EXAMPLE B ( USB DIRECT under 2 minutes of setup)

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 27 2015, 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's important to understand that what the kemper does is 'just' to digitally replicate the audio signal coming from the mic used to capture any amp (minus the IR/reverb part of the sound). The algo is refinded to the point that it works flawlessly for 99% of all amps. And I have found great rectifier profiles.

However - very few people can mic up a rectifier amp to have it professionally sit well in a mix. So this is where the issues lies.

If I had a rectfier, my answer to you would be no - I probably wouldn't be able to profile it in a way that would sound awesome to you.

Hope it makes sense? I don't want you to sacrifice your kidney in vain ph34r.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.