Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Folks Using Large Displays In Studios
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Todd Simpson
Finally starting to see folks using large flat panel displays in pro and home studios. I have been doing this for a few years now and I have to say it's the best and cheapest setup I've ever had. You can get a HDTV 42 inches and up for just a couple/few hundred bux. Getting a computer display near that large is crazy pricey. The resolution of 1920x1080 works perfect for audio applications imho. I noticed Keith Merrow doing a similar setup. Anyone else doing this at home?

Pro version
Click to view attachment

My home studio version
Click to view attachment
dcz702
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 25 2015, 04:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally starting to see folks using large flat panel displays in pro and home studios. I have been doing this for a few years now and I have to say it's the best and cheapest setup I've ever had. You can get a HDTV 42 inches and up for just a couple/few hundred bux. Getting a computer display near that large is crazy pricey. The resolution of 1920x1080 works perfect for audio applications imho. I noticed Keith Merrow doing a similar setup. Anyone else doing this at home?

Pro version
Click to view attachment

My home studio version
Click to view attachment

I was thinking of doing this. I'm looking for a new desk right now, one that long flat and wide, or maybe a long 2 teir desk so I can use a larger display. So can you tell me can I use my Mac and have a another monitor and switch back and forth from each screen keeping certain windows open on each screen?
If I could do that that would be really useful, not have to bring up certain window all the time that are buried underneath other windows.
Storm Linnebjerg
I've only got two 19" displays, but I'm quite happy with having two of those when working with music, as it can get a bit annoying working with everything on just one screen, so two really helps freeing up some space.
Todd Simpson
Well sure smile.gif Depending on your mac of course but generally yes. Which mac are you running? I"m using a THUNDERBOLT to HDMI converter and just running right in to a large TV smile.gif And yeah you can either mirror the displays or have each be separate. I use them as separate monitors.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 25 2015, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of doing this. I'm looking for a new desk right now, one that long flat and wide, or maybe a long 2 teir desk so I can use a larger display. So can you tell me can I use my Mac and have a another monitor and switch back and forth from each screen keeping certain windows open on each screen?
If I could do that that would be really useful, not have to bring up certain window all the time that are buried underneath other windows.

I'm using two displays as one of them is built in to my computer smile.gif The other one is the big TV so yeah I'm a big fan of "Dual Head" setups smile.gif But if you do have a really big display, it's like have a dual head setup without the line in the middle caused by the monitor frame. Two 19s is similar to having a big 42 inch display but wider like 24x9 aspect ratio smile.gif

The handy thing about the TV as monitor thing is that it can always be used as a TV for DVDs or XBOX or what not as well as a big monitor for music/video production.

I really like not squinting at menus anymore but I may just be going blind smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jun 25 2015, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've only got two 19" displays, but I'm quite happy with having two of those when working with music, as it can get a bit annoying working with everything on just one screen, so two really helps freeing up some space.

dcz702
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 25 2015, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well sure smile.gif Depending on your mac of course but generally yes. Which mac are you running? I"m using a THUNDERBOLT to HDMI converter and just running right in to a large TV smile.gif And yeah you can either mirror the displays or have each be separate. I use them as separate monitors.

I'm using two displays as one of them is built in to my computer smile.gif The other one is the big TV so yeah I'm a big fan of "Dual Head" setups smile.gif But if you do have a really big display, it's like have a dual head setup without the line in the middle caused by the monitor frame. Two 19s is similar to having a big 42 inch display but wider like 24x9 aspect ratio smile.gif

The handy thing about the TV as monitor thing is that it can always be used as a TV for DVDs or XBOX or what not as well as a big monitor for music/video production.

I really like not squinting at menus anymore but I may just be going blind smile.gif

I have had my Mac now for 6 years and it's the smaller screen iMac I was looking at the larger screen I macs, but I can just get a display, or could you tell me if the macs now are really worth it compared to my 6 year old Mac?
Todd Simpson
SURE!! smile.gif I use a standard WESTINGHOUSE HDTV. smile.gif Just get an adapter for your imac. If you have VGA output then VGA to HDMI if you have THUNDERBOLT on your imac then THUNDERBOLT to HDMI and use any HDTV smile.gif

If your mac still does what you need then sure smile.gif It's fine. But if you notice it's not doing what you need then it's upgrade time smile.gif

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 27 2015, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have had my Mac now for 6 years and it's the smaller screen iMac I was looking at the larger screen I macs, but I can just get a display, or could you tell me if the macs now are really worth it compared to my 6 year old Mac?

Mertay
I can't do wide screens sitting close as I easily get a headache and don't have such distance at home. But yeah, in a midfield listening studio environment flat screens totally makes sense to me.

I'm using a 22" flat screen though. Had a nice discount in a mall, at first I thought it for the bedroom but soon later my monitor died. Never thought it would work so well, using 1920x1080 resolution.

Just not sure if it would work for gamers, there is 5ms latency and I have no idea what is a good latency for monitors. I only notice it when sliding browsers down very fast but besides that (music stuff, movies, websurf etc.) works great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.