Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Chord Is This?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Travelin' Man
I know that this is an A major chord, but when I put the G on it, what chord name does it take now? I have searched, maybe not hard enough, but I can't find it, and I know someone in here would know. Its a blues song that Im working on, if that helps guide you in the right direction.

E|--G---
B|-C#--
G|-A----
D|-E----
A| open
E|
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Travelin' Man @ Aug 16 2007, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know that this is an A major chord, but when I put the G on it, what chord name does it take now? I have searched, maybe not hard enough, but I can't find it, and I know someone in here would know. Its a blues song that Im working on, if that helps guide you in the right direction.

E|--G---
B|-C#--
G|-A----
D|-E----
A| open
E|

A7 smile.gif
Travelin' Man
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 16 2007, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A7 smile.gif

I looked that one up 1st, just because thats what I thought it was, but it gave me some barre chord, and I was at aloss from that point on.

Thnx Muris smile.gif

I just found it as the chord I fingered. It was the 9th variation....thnx again
exorcyze
Just to make sure I understand how the chord naming works :

A Major Scale : a b c# d e f# g# a ( ttsttts )

The I-III-V ( A-C#-E ) is the primary chord voicing, but G is a b7, not a pure 7th right ? Does that not matter for the naming ?
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (exorcyze @ Aug 17 2007, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to make sure I understand how the chord naming works :

A Major Scale : a b c# d e f# g# a ( ttsttts )

The I-III-V ( A-C#-E ) is the primary chord voicing, but G is a b7, not a pure 7th right ? Does that not matter for the naming ?

Yeah, A7 chord is not part of A major scale...you can find it on 1st degree of A mixolydian or....let's say, on 5th degree in D major scale.
Chord made of notes A C# E and G# is named Amaj7,because of major 7th,not b7 as in A7 chord. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.