Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Average Time Spent On Guitar Per Day?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2
stratman33
me...probably 1 hour.i feel you dont need to spend any more time than that if you practice effectivly for that amount of time.I've also noticed some people saying they play 12 hours/day.....i dont know how thats possible because whenever i log on to gmc they're on tongue.gif (unless they dont sleep)
shredmandan
I play on average one to two hours a day.Rarly will i ever go a day without atleast playing for that amount of time.I feel it depends on what you want to do with the guitar as to how long you need to practice.If your just doing it for fun then an hour is fine but, if your wanting to master it or make a living from it one day you better be playing every hour that you have available in the day. smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 24 2007, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I play on average one to two hours a day.Rarly will i ever go a day without atleast playing for that amount of time.I feel it depends on what you want to do with the guitar as to how long you need to practice.If your just doing it for fun then an hour is fine but, if your wanting to master it or make a living from it one day you better be playing every hour that you have available in the day. smile.gif

Definately! Also, an hour a day will probably more than keep you tuned at your current skill level, but to improve and master harder techniques more time is necessary.
blindwillie
I practice maybe 2 hours a night for 2 days, then a day when I don't have the time. Then another 2 days with practice... So I'm leveling out on 1 - 2 hours a day I guess.
I'm always thinking "But next week. Then I will be done with this and have more time. But new stuff gets in the way, always :/
Sergeant_Ant
well ive been on summer vacation so like 3-5 hours but school starts monday so itll be back to an hour or 2
The Uncreator
used to be 5 hours on avergae for me, school started though, so its about 2 and half hours now.
Robin
I'm not sure, but probably around 3-4 hours. I do goof around alot though. The past few days I have actually started practicing. I had a slow couple of months becuase I only practiced 1 song I made that I was gonna record.
swingline
Same here I'm around 5 hours but school starts in a week and with 3 A.P. classes that will get cut down real quick.
JVM
I usually play starting around 9 ish to 12 or whenever, then I hit the sack. That's the designated time (I think it helps if you play before you go to bed, but before you get too tired.helps you remember) Most likely after school starts, I'll play some after I finish all the homework, then again at the 9-12 time but maybe slightly less. I'd say 3-4 hours a day when school starts, more on weekends.
Pavel
It really depends on my mood, weather, university...but i am sure i play at least 3 hours each day. Today i played much more...we'll see how it will work tomorrow biggrin.gif
Nick325
depends on the day sometimes i dont have time to play, some times i play all day, sometimes i play a little.
rokchik
It really depends on work and well, life in general, but I usually try for 1.5-2 hrs a day. Sometimes that's broken up throughout the day but I still try to fit it in. It sometimes messes with my workout schedule too but I'm willing to make sacrifices smile.gif
Muris Varajic
Hour or two usually..
It comes to more if I record something or having practice.
Plus hour or two If I have gig that night.
But...there are days when I don't touch guitar at all....sadly sad.gif
FretDancer69
I practice 4 Hours a day Minimum. Sometimes i even get to 10 hours, but thats very rare. And only because im on vacations right now.
MattE
Normally I get about an hour consecutivly
But if you count all the random 10 minute segments I do during the day...probably 2-3 hours

School wont affect me much because I play at school
So I get a good bit of practice regardless laugh.gif

But I'm actually trying to get a set 2 hours each day, because I'm really desireable to get my skill level up >:D
Jerry Arcidiacono
It really depends on scheduled gigs, recording sessions, my mood.
Average time: 2 hours/day
Owen
At the moment I think I'm playing about 10 minutes a day xD
The Spartan
I play for 6+ hours...but i practice for around 4-5 hours
stratman33
QUOTE (Owen @ Aug 24 2007, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the moment I think I'm playing about 10 minutes a day xD

lol thats it??
Spiderusalem
I practice for about 1-2 hours in the morning and about 2-6 hours in the evening. But really I play my acoustic throughout the day whenever I get the chance, and whenever there is a guitar nearby I will play.

Everyday life is that thing that happens between the times I get to play guitar.
mattacuk
I do a minimim of 2 hours solid practice a day, usually 3 smile.gif
Norven
When im free I play 8 hours avarage. Now when the school has started I play about 5-6 hours in avarage.
lefthandman
Im just about the same way as norven average practice for me is anywhere from 3-6 hrs on school nights and then pretty much all night friday saturday and sunday i rarely have time 2 practice during the day sad.gif
Pentatonic Gathering
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 24 2007, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It really depends on my mood, weather, university...but i am sure i play at least 3 hours each day. Today i played much more...we'll see how it will work tomorrow biggrin.gif

Stole the words from my mouth...
Layzer
when i jam\practice....i do it loud....so i can't play for more than an hour straight or my ears will ring for days....but throughout a day, i practice 2-3 on avg.
Proph
Hum.. Maybe 3/4 Hours when i'm in Vacations.. and 2 at school time
Pavel
QUOTE (Layzer @ Aug 29 2007, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when i jam\practice....i do it loud....so i can't play for more than an hour straight or my ears will ring for days....but throughout a day, i practice 2-3 on avg.

Man how loud is that if your ears ring?? blink.gif blink.gif Do you set your amp to 25???
Bulletproof
Lately I've been playing around 4 hours a day. I"m a guard atm while I"m going to school so when I"m at work I put in lots of practice. I don't plug in my guitar but I practice exercises for those hours while I"m at work. I love it.
Kosei Kubota
I used to practice 6-8 hours when I was in school, but maybe 1-2 hours these days.
I think I am getting better than before because I am more focused.
Quality of practice is more important than quantity.
Quality + quantity is the best, though...

KK
Soul_Decision
3-5 hours now.
Layzer
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 4 2007, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man how loud is that if your ears ring?? blink.gif blink.gif Do you set your amp to 25???

hehe yeah i use headphones all the time and with the G-Dec so always having multiple LOUd sound coming in my ears
Ryan
pff it went from a solid 5 hours for me, to lets see. In the past fews weeks altogether, maybe. 5 hours. 5 HOURS IN 3 WEEKS. Whats wrong with me sad.gif, o well I had more important stuff. In the next week or so, I should go back to regular practicing.
Fabian Schulz
I play about 5-6 hours a day.

But today there are holidays here in germany for the next two weeks so i'll play a lot more, for about 12 hours a day ...
Unleash-The-Shred
Thats awesome i wish i had that much time to play, but i also play keyboard so i'd be practicing that also.
muntahunta
ill play anywhere between 1 and 3 hours a day however i have a 6 hour practice on saturday and theres no better kind of practice than playing gigs so ill count that in too tongue.gif.

i really couldnt put the amount of time into an average, its way to dependant on everything else.
Understudy
I never pick up my guitars, I just lurk on the forums to harass all you good people laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Fabian Schulz @ Oct 19 2007, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But today there are holidays here in germany for the next two weeks so i'll play a lot more, for about 12 hours a day ...

Wow,12 hours?!?!?
Looks like we have new Vai in the house!! biggrin.gif
chast
QUOTE (Fabian Schulz @ Oct 19 2007, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pah, My holidays are over now.
On Monday school starts again in Hessen tongue.gif
Fabian Schulz
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 20 2007, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow,12 hours?!?!?
Looks like we have new Vai in the house!! biggrin.gif

ah i'm not that good ( yet, but i think real soon biggrin.gif). But my girlfriend is on vacation at the moment so i have nothing else to do smile.gif also i always feel frustrated when i realize that i wasted a lot time not playing guitar, by doing something stupid like watching tv or something. So i try to use all the time i have...
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Fabian Schulz @ Oct 20 2007, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ah i'm not that good ( yet, but i think real soon biggrin.gif). But my girlfriend is on vacation at the moment so i have nothing else to do smile.gif also i always feel frustrated when i realize that i wasted a lot time not playing guitar, by doing something stupid like watching tv or something. So i try to use all the time i have...

+1 for that Fabian. smile.gif
Fabian Schulz
smile.gif got already six hours today and i'm not willing to stop now smile.gif
Smikey2006
Well. Most days i try and play for 2 hours after school.. Then i have band praci for another 2 eat dinner.. do something random (Study) Then play for an hour before i sleep. So about 5 hours a day. I find this sufficient. Some days im alot worst. I woke up today at 10. and i work at 11:30. Doesn't leave much room for practice. Maybe ill get 2 hours in from 8-10 but im an early to bed er. I wish i had 12 hours a day to play guitar. Once im outta uni and running my guitar shop you guys look out biggrin.gif
Legions
I generally spend anywhere from 2-6 hours (maybe more haha) a day playing and practicing especially now that I am out of high school.

I try to make my practice time as efficient as possible...
ActiveX
It depends...I try to practice at least an hour a day, sometimes I miss a day, sometimes I will play for hours.
Unfortunately at this point in my life, a few things must come before playing guitar...kids, wife, job, etc. Sometimes it sucks being a responsible adult:)
trueblue450
wow I feel pathetic. I play when I have the drive which is usually a couple hours a time a couple days a week. I mean I have band practice twice a week for 3 hours also but some of you people are crazy dedicated. Im impressed!
coffeeman
2-3 Hours , the thing is that I can't play every day so it's like 3 days pe week.
jammer91
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Oct 25 2007, 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2-3 Hours , the thing is that I can't play every day so it's like 3 days per week.

Exactly the same here. Im having too many tests now and dont really have much time for guitar. How do you guys fit in six hour? Do you forget about schoolwork and stuff (i did that and got screwed last year). Im having my IG's coming up so id better be on my toes.

I spend more time on GMC and MSN than guitar.
botoxfox
Right now, none, because of a cut in my finger... sad.gif
Owen
I'm doing about 3-4 hour a day at the moment, I really got my urge to play guitar back recently and I'm coming back with avengeance!

I cant believe I ever hit a rut in the first place, now I'm just so inspired, cheers to everyone here who put up with me during my 'I think I may give up stage...', tongue.gif seems rediculous now I think of it, I just needed to learn more stuff and find the things that interested me about playing in the first place! smile.gif

Although I feel it is detracting majorly from my schoolwork at the time being laugh.gif
Layzer
QUOTE (Fabian Schulz @ Oct 20 2007, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile.gif got already six hours today and i'm not willing to stop now smile.gif

Fabian how long have ya played the guitar at a rate of 6hrs\day? ohmy.gif or how long in general?

Making me feel ashamed of my 2-3 hrs a day!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.