Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems When Practicing Scales
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
rahimiiii
I tried to practice the major scale (unfortunately during my years of just teaching myself the guitar.. I neglected to teach myself the major scale) My middle finger or the index finger always likes to hit the wrong note even at low tempo, causing my timing and rhythm to become totally screwed. I do this from time to time... any way to minimize this or perhaps eliminate it?

I really wished I discovered this site years ago...
Saoirse O'Shea
Hi rahimiii,
Perhaps try the scale at a slower tempo until you can play through cleanly without a mistake for say 7-10 cycles? Think it's been said elsewhere but it's about muscle memory, if you make a mistake and keep repeating the mistake all you effectively do is teach your muscles the wrong way. So slow down the tempo to a point where you can play it without mistakes, get the muscle memory and then speed up the tempo say 5-10 bpm and rinse and repeat.

Cheers,
Tony
Kosei Kubota
Hi,rahimiiii!

I would also suggest playing it slooooowly.

How slow?

So slow that you can prepare for the next note.

Let's say you are playing C major scale starting with your middle finger on the 5th string, 3rd fret.
As you play it, prepare your pinky just above 5th fret to prepare for D.
Then, play D and prepare your index finger on the 4th string.

If you play (and prepare) this way, you may need a couple of seconds per note. That's really slow, isn't it?

This way, you are training your brain to control your finger.
Iscariott
Dont play the scale past the area where you mess up. Play through the spot you mess up and climb back down the scale from just before the problem note(s). Do it slowly, but the key is going to be hammering in the lead up to the part that trips you up from both sides. Get your fingers and brain used to making the transition.

This is probably herecy, but skrew playing it as a scale all together. Take the 3 notes that make up the problem spot and write a little jam riff using only those 3. As you get comfortable playing those notes grouped together try finishing by decending through the part of the scale you already know.

After that you'll feel a lot better about your playing, and can go back to hammering home the scale, and i bet you can get through the hard part no problem.

*edit*
Also, i hate the major scale mainly because it gave me the same trouble for the same reason. I play the minor scale and derivitives of it for the most part, that third is a "wrong note" to my fingers. I probably should do the same thing i suggested again, because chances are good i dont remember it anymore.
DeepRoots
Also- when playing scales like the major scale- try singing it while/before you play it, it help internalize the "flavour" of the scale and when you hit that wrong note - you'll try harder to get it right as it'll sound sooo wrong.
But the key is to play ridiculusly slowly...

Also, when you hit that bad note: start again. Until you hit a wrong note again: play it again from the start. Try to pretend someone cracks you over the head with a cane whenever you do something wrong...
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 14 2007, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also- when playing scales like the major scale- try singing it while/before you play it, it help internalize the "flavour" of the scale and when you hit that wrong note - you'll try harder to get it right as it'll sound sooo wrong.
But the key is to play ridiculusly slowly...

Also, when you hit that bad note: start again. Until you hit a wrong note again: play it again from the start. Try to pretend someone cracks you over the head with a cane whenever you do something wrong...

Well said,singing helps a lot!!
And play it slow of course,very slow.
Preparing for next note as Kosei said is of great matter as well.
Just practice and result must be there! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.