Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Egyptian Style Lesson
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Muris Varajic > Techniques (Muris)
FretDancer69
Hey there Muris. I listened to your Oriental Shred Lesson and i love it!!! I was wondering if you could do a lesson more "Egyptian Oriented". I know the cultures in the area are very similar and different in many ways, but i was wondering if you could do a lesson that expresses an Egyptian Setting. Something like that.

Thanks.
Muris Varajic
Yeah,sure smile.gif
Must listen more to some Egyptian stuff first...
Any short tips,links??
FretDancer69
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 19 2007, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah,sure smile.gif
Must listen more to some Egyptian stuff first...
Any short tips,links??

i found this on youtube:

Godfather Theme Egyptian Style

Egyptian Music (Sounds very techno at first, but later it starts to have that egyptian feeling.

ill search for more and add them here.
Muris Varajic
Thanks,lesson will come smile.gif
fkalich
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 19 2007, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks,lesson will come smile.gif

If I can put my 2 cents in. I think most people would love to see this kind of thing. In your case, and Pavel's, well I would like to see some Eastern European stuff. I remember in one of Kris's early lessons, he did this thing sort of as a joke, that sounded like traditional music from Scotland. I thought "that is cool, why does he not show that, rather than the same old same old that 5 trillion other guys play?". There have been a few British and Aussie bands who did some of that, and it was cool.

I personally have no interest in techo wierdo stuff. Would like to see rock music with new elements based on traditional music from the countries that you teachers come from, of that you are familiar with. Personally I think Eastern European (with the Muslim influence) is something you clearly could demonstrate to us. I doubt I am the only one who would be interested.

Btw, to any Scandinavian teacher reading this, traditional music in your part of the world does not include death metal. I know nothing about your traditional music, but it would be neat to see some rock music with elements of it.
Muris Varajic
Yeah,thanks Fkalich.

In this Oriental lesson I made there are many pieces of Bosnia traditional music.
Point is that must of our music is played of instruments like accordion,saz etc.
And imitation on guitar isn't always so great.
Mean you can try imitating saz cause it's string instrument but with accordion it goes quite harder...
fkalich
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 19 2007, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah,thanks Fkalich.

In this Oriental lesson I made there are many pieces of Bosnia traditional music.
Point is that must of our music is played of instruments like accordion,saz etc.
And imitation on guitar isn't always so great.
Mean you can try imitating saz cause it's string instrument but with accordion it goes quite harder...

I think I accidentally sent that before editing. I type fast, read, and don't like stuff (often it sounds offensive, or I am not expressing what I am really trying to express).

However, newbie that I am, I disagree. I think really neat music can come from those influences. Maybe it might not be obvious.

But for example, I use a lot of tremolo picking. From remembering the Croatian kids traditional music group. I do a lot of that, sometimes instead of vibrato. For example, in that middle slow part in Canon Rock, I do that, and I honestly consider it much nicer than the slow vibrato stuff everyone else does there. But that is a more obvious one. But I don't see a lot of people doing that, in the sense I am saying.

btw: I am of Slovenian ancestry. My cousin was a very skilled Accordion player. Very successful. He was even on national television some. Accordion is great, my family would not have a wedding without a polka band.

edit: while on the subject of accordion, a good friend of mine in high school played that. What was funny, is that he was of mixed racial parents (certainly part black). He was adopted by people of Polish ancestry. He did not look like your basic accordion player. I think that was what made him mean. Nobody messed with Willie. One reason I made friends with him, he was always good protection.
Muris Varajic
Well point Fkalich.
Still I'm listen to this music everyday here and many guitar players around are trying
to play it on guitar,no good.
But I can make one in a day or two,it'd be a miss for me but interesting for community. smile.gif
Hemlok
An Egyptian style lesson would be neat o!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg7WG6tCbrw
Muris Varajic
laugh.gif Nice video Hemlok,thanks biggrin.gif
FretDancer69
Thanks alot muris. Cant wait for the Lesson biggrin.gif smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.