Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Line 6 Variax
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Andrew Cockburn
Unleash-The-Shred
I've seen this guitar before but never understood what it is used for. It has no pickups so i'm guessing you have to play it through a computer or something other than an amp. Can you give me some specs on this since you have one?
ZakkWylde
That`s a question for Andrew who,i believe, has two variax guitars and a variax bass. All i know is that it is modeling guitar sounds.
Unleash-The-Shred
Yeah I was asking Andrew that question, I posted it in his section of the forum.
Andrew Cockburn
Hi there ..

It actually does have pickups - -they are piezo electric pickups in the bridge saddle (becasue of this it picks up zero hum).

Each string has an individual pickup, and these are fed into some modeling electronics that amplify the sound and change it to sound like one of the modeled guitars. By the time it comes out of the output jack in the guitar is sounds just like a regular guitar, the difference is that with the flick of a switch you can go from a classic strat sound to a deep LP sound, or a Banjo, or Sitar. There are also acoustic models. Whilst the models aren;t 100%, they are pretty darn good, and nothing can beat this guitar for versatility. You can plug it into a regular amp just like any other guitar.

If you use it with a Pod XTL or Vetta amp, you can store the guitar sound along with the patch, so with a single footswitch you can flip form a distorted Les Paul sound to a clean Fender Strat sound.

Line 6 alos supply a workbench that allows you to assemble a new type of guitar out of parts - you can select the body type, the pickups, position the pickups and everything to get the sound you like.

The final trick is that you can program it for alternate tunings - Drop D instantly at the flick of a switch - it does this using internal pitch shifting technology (the original string plays its original pitch, but is shifted up or down when you hear it through the amp). As long as the amp is loud enough to mask the sound of the string itself it works really well.

All in all they are cool guitars of you want something incredibly versatile. The 300 is very cheap, but also feels it. The 600 and 700 are a lot better made.
Unleash-The-Shred
Ok, thanks a lot for your response i've been curious about these for a while now. Good explanation by the way. I appreciate it.
Andrew Cockburn
No problem smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.