Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ? On My Guitar
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Pavel Denisjuk > Gear Talk (Pavel)
Gerald
Hello! I saw that your forum heading that you like to chat about Ibanez guitars; I thought I'd ask you question about mine and about Ibanez in general.

I have a 470DX and cannot find another 470 in AMS or guitar center anywhere and didn't know if they were discontinued or replaced with the 370DX. Is the 370 and 470 one in the same?

Also - what are the higher end models of Ibanez? I like the JEM, but would like to find a guitar that played just as well, but without all the bling so it was more affordable. Something that I'm looking for in a new guitar is better action. I really want to have a new axe that doesn't have the strings so high from the fretboard near the 12th fret and beyond. Is there a way to adjust this?

Thanks!
- Gerald
Pavel
Hey Gerald!

As you can see here: http://www.ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=rg_tremolo
Ibanez pretty much made the cheaper RG's all in some 370 and similar 3** series. i think they did it on purpose so you don't have to think of 500 models names.

You can easily set the string height by lowering the whole bridge - you can find the huge screws on each side of the bridge. Turning them clockwise will lower the strings and the bridge.

The higher end guitars would be RG Prestige models: http://www.ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=rg_prestige

These are all sick guitars so any RG Prestige model would be a great axe.
Gerald
Cool thanks for the info! If I adjust the bridge height lower will I have to have the intonation adjusted on the guitar? Should I do that with the strings slack or can I do it tuned up?

Thanks!
- Gerald
Chris Evans
It shouldnt affect the intonation if you just raise or lower the bridge smile.gif

I`ve done it before with slack strings and tuned up, although you will have to re tune regardless, prob better to do it with strings slackened imo.
RobM
QUOTE (Gerald @ Nov 15 2007, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello! I saw that your forum heading that you like to chat about Ibanez guitars; I thought I'd ask you question about mine and about Ibanez in general.

I have a 470DX and cannot find another 470 in AMS or guitar center anywhere and didn't know if they were discontinued or replaced with the 370DX. Is the 370 and 470 one in the same?

Also - what are the higher end models of Ibanez? I like the JEM, but would like to find a guitar that played just as well, but without all the bling so it was more affordable. Something that I'm looking for in a new guitar is better action. I really want to have a new axe that doesn't have the strings so high from the fretboard near the 12th fret and beyond. Is there a way to adjust this?

Thanks!
- Gerald

I'm not sure about your 470/370 Model question but some of the better models of Ibanez other than jem are the RG2550 and the RG1570 prestige. There are quite a few other models out there that people here play, I'm sure you will get their input as to what they feel are the best Ibanez models are.

As far as adjusting the bridge you can find out all you need to know about that and more

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
Gerald
Thanks for the info; I'm assuming that the 470DX I have is basically the same guitar, same quality as a 370DX that you can buy now? I bought the 470 about 9 or so years ago and am trying to gauge the quality and price point for it today. I'm thinking about getting another guitar and it's going to either be a better quality Ibanez or a Les Paul.

thanks!
- Gerald
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.