Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Musicain Health Issues
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
fkalich
I came across this. There have been a lot of posts about various types of pain on the forum. I think you can find some answers here.

http://www.musicianshealth.com/askthedr.htm

edit: I see the typo spelling of musician. can't change that
Ivan Milenkovic
When i was younger i never worried about muscle fatigue, but as my exercies got complicated and time consuming, a noticed pains in my wrists, expecially in my index finger.

Big advice to all of the younger players: ALWAYS warm up your fingers and hands before each and every playing. It is very dangerous to play exercises, in studio or on gigs not warmed up. In the studio the problem is that you dont generaly don`t have enough time to warm up so you warm up as you go along. THis can create very big pain problems in the LONG RUN. So always...
PlayAllDay
What would you recommend as a warmup Ivan? What I would really like to know is what are the essential components of a warmup?? Anybody know? There's lots of different opinions on this one...
PlayAllDay
Anybody????? unsure.gif
Robin
QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Nov 22 2007, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody????? unsure.gif

Play scales or other alt picking excersises VERY slow for about 10 minutes, and make sure you use all your fingers smile.gif

Oh btw thanks alot fkalich, I'll check it out.
Xranthoius
to warm up I usually flex my fingers and go through scales slowly
Jerry Arcidiacono
John Petrucci shows some warm-up exercises on his Rock Discipline video. I really recommend to see this section.
Muris Varajic
Push-ups might help too biggrin.gif
PlayAllDay
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Rock
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 20 2007, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I came across this. There have been a lot of posts about various types of pain on the forum. I think you can find some answers here.

http://www.musicianshealth.com/askthedr.htm

edit: I see the typo spelling of musician. can't change that

This is an excellent site, I'll have to bookmark this one. Thanks fkalich!
botoxfox
Very useful site, thanks for the link.
Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Nov 21 2007, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would you recommend as a warmup Ivan? What I would really like to know is what are the essential components of a warmup?? Anybody know? There's lots of different opinions on this one...

I would say that you need to play anything that you feel comfortable with. Try to use some hromatic variations in a slow 60bpm tempo 8th notes up and down for 5 minutes, and some right hand strumming in a slow tempo with some easy chord changes and you`ll get warmed up pretty fast. DOn`t rush it. In general this is it if you are planning to do some gigging or some technical exercising after.
Also I must rewrite what Robin wrote - that scales might be usefull in warming up. This is very true, expecially if you are planning to do little jaming and can actually HEAR youself warming up. This way you are warming up your ear as well. Some of great jazz players do just this. They play some ordinary scales and warming up their ear sense in that way. Just pick up a progression and play different scales slowly and you will benefit grately. In the end everyone has a different way of worming up. You should find what best suits for you. Hope this helps smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.