Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bending & Floating Tremolo
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Ron Lucas
I want to use my Ibanez electric, which has a floating tremolo bridge, for most of my performances. I play stuff from "Sultans of Swing", with lots of bends, to hard rock where I like to use my tremolo for fun and crazy dives!

However, when I play "Sultans of Swing", there are those licks where you play the 3rd string, bend it up, and then play the 2nd string a fret higher. Very common lick.

But because of the floating tremolo, the "bend up" of the 3rd string causes the floating bridge to dive a bit, and the pitch of the 2nd string goes a little flat.

If you understand what I'm referring to, do you have any suggestions on how I can get around this? I do have another guitar with a fixed bridge, so I use that when I need to play the "Sultans of Swing" style solos, but that guitar just doesn't have the sound I want.

Thanks!
Ron
Arrival
QUOTE (Ron Lucas @ Nov 29 2007, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to use my Ibanez electric, which has a floating tremolo bridge, for most of my performances. I play stuff from "Sultans of Swing", with lots of bends, to hard rock where I like to use my tremolo for fun and crazy dives!

However, when I play "Sultans of Swing", there are those licks where you play the 3rd string, bend it up, and then play the 2nd string a fret higher. Very common lick.

But because of the floating tremolo, the "bend up" of the 3rd string causes the floating bridge to dive a bit, and the pitch of the 2nd string goes a little flat.

If you understand what I'm referring to, do you have any suggestions on how I can get around this? I do have another guitar with a fixed bridge, so I use that when I need to play the "Sultans of Swing" style solos, but that guitar just doesn't have the sound I want.

Thanks!
Ron

Try to match the correct pitch on the second string with a slight bend. It's probably not the cleanest idea but if you practice the technique it might work and sound a little better.
USAMAN
Go to Ibanezrules.com and check out the product called a trem-no or tremel-no or something like that....It may be what you are looking for.
Hope this helps.
They have a link to a vid showing how it works.

Peace out.........

I woke up grumpy this morning

Then she rolled over and went back to sleep...lol
Ron Lucas
Thanks both of you. I found both of your answers on IbanezRules.com. Really useful sight.

smile.gif
David.C.Bond
Yeah a common problem with floyd rose type bridges. I've used floyds all my life and I wouldn't use anything else because it lets you do silly whammy stuff, but I still hate the bastards! Cause far too many problems. mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.