Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1on1 Speedpicking
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Constie
In this video Kris said we should hold the pick not parallel but about 45° angle, without that it would be impossible to get such a high speed.
I watched some videos and I noticed that some guitarrist for example alexi laiho don't.

I'm really confused what I should do. Without an angle the sound is much straighter, I don't have picking mistakes and get almost the same speed. But why should pros like Paul Gilbert use it if it's not necessary blink.gif

Help biggrin.gif
Gerald
I didn't use it and found once I switched that for me it was much easier to alternate pick. I think at some point it's going to come down to personal preference.
Mackietao
I pick without an angle. I looked at kris video now though when you mentioned it and tried to pick with angle. Now I´m used to other picking so it wasn´t really easier but I sure got the feeling it was less resistance against the string. However the attack wasn´t as clear. Will have to try this more to take a stand...
Resurrection
I hold the pick at a slight angle to the strings, but it's not as much as 45 degrees. I find that too much of an angle loses attack and articulation. I think that learning to pick with the very tip of the pick is key to speedpicking, although a small angle to the strings helps too.
Gerald
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khs0Wl7Hvas...feature=related

Here is an explaination from the master. smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Holding a pick in a 45 degree angle gives you a different sound then holfing a pick at a straight angle. In general it is better to hold a pick as straight angle because you get even tones when you play up or down. THere are off course exepctions - not everyone play like this, but is is a general rule for all beginners to apply and then when they learn to play at a straight angle they can "brake rules".
Pavel
Don't take those "measures" too fixed. It doesn't have to be 45 degrees straight! Experiment with it - playing is not science - it's art, so you have to develop it and search for it all the time wink.gif

I am still working on my picking and discover something new every day, and i must say - nobody can tell you this stuff - you have to feel it for yourself wink.gif
David.C.Bond
This is an interesting subject that I've had vrious debates about. I personally hold my pick at 45 degrees, but one of my old guitar teachers would constantly try to get me to hold it parallel. I know many guitarist (Alexi Laiho is a good example) who can play very fast holding it parallel, and it does sound very clean.
However I feel more comfortable holding it at an angle and as they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, so I'm gonna keep doing that. I don't think theres a right or wrong way to do it, although i do notice I go through plectrums much quicker than some friends who hold it parallel, because it wears unevenly.
David
Constie
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 6 2007, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't take those "measures" too fixed. It doesn't have to be 45 degrees straight!

It was just an example wink.gif I liked it more at about 20°-30°

I'm relieved to hear that it is possible my way.
In the video it sounds like everyone is doing so and like it's the only way.

Thanks for helping me, I was so confused but now I know how I pick best smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.