Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playing By Ear
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Andrew Cockburn
Xranthoius
Andrew,

How can you tell what note is is by ear? I can't tell an A from a D, or a B from a Q. Is there some special way to train your ear to detect the tone? This would be extremely helpful to me especially for riffs I hear that don't have a tab to them.

I have tried closing my eyes on clean channel and playing a random note, and no matter how long I do that I still can't figure it out. Really fustrating me. dry.gif

Xran~
Hemlok
Your signature frustrates me everytime i think there is a bug on my screen!

laugh.gif laugh.gif it just keeps getting me
Wyvernx
QUOTE (Xranthoius @ Dec 8 2007, 07:05 PM) *
Andrew,

How can you tell what note is is by ear? I can't tell an A from a D, or a B from a Q. Is there some special way to train your ear to detect the tone? This would be extremely helpful to me especially for riffs I hear that don't have a tab to them.

I have tried closing my eyes on clean channel and playing a random note, and no matter how long I do that I still can't figure it out. Really fustrating me. dry.gif

Xran~

i think this comes along after many years of playing or by "talent" playing and listening to music is what really helps out your ear training, and sometimes by experiment, I envy my friend who can almost do it effortlessly. dry.gif
Unleash-The-Shred
You can buy these dvds that teach you how to learn do it.

http://www.perfectpitch.com/
Xranthoius
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Dec 8 2007, 09:16 PM) *
Your signature frustrates me everytime i think there is a bug on my screen!

laugh.gif laugh.gif it just keeps getting me

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Wyvernx @ Dec 8 2007, 09:16 PM) *
i think this comes along after many years of playing or by "talent" playing and listening to music is what really helps out your ear training, and sometimes by experiment, I envy my friend who can almost do it effortlessly. dry.gif

Alright thanks,

Xran~

QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Dec 8 2007, 09:28 PM) *
You can buy these dvds that teach you how to learn do it.

http://www.perfectpitch.com/

ohmy.gif I gotta get that! Thank you!!

EDIT: It certenly isn't cheap wink.gif
Unleash-The-Shred
Yeah it is pricey. But I bet it is worth it. I would like to get it too but i'm starting lessons with this guy my dad knows. He is a professional guitarist, my dad is good friends with so I think he will teach me all that sh*t I need to know.
nickmarx12345678
Well I think I might be able to help you out. Getting perfect pitch so you know exactly what note is being played wher you hear it is incredibly difficult. However much easier to obtain is learning a kind of relative pitch. What I mean is being able to tell a note when you can compare it with the root note of it scale. This is still very hard bot nearly as much. One way you can get better a learning them though (while learning the fret board) is just go over random notes and sing the note as you say it aaaaaay sharp ceeeeeeee sharp
partly tyhough it just comes from experiance
Xranthoius
Thanks Nick,

I have one more question,

Do you have to have relative pitch before you can achieve perfect pitch, because I have no relative pitch whatsoever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.