Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Abrsm Theory Exams
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
OrganisedConfusion
I'm wanting to start doing graded exams and I don't know whether I'd be able to learn the stuff for February although I've been playing guitar for 5 years so I am pretty sure I'm quite above this level anyway.

What is involved in Grade 1 Theory with ABRSM?
mattacuk
hi There ! I skipped to grade 2 as a start, I just worked though the AB guide to music theory, which i got of the net. I would have thought if you studied hard its more than doable !! smile.gif
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 23 2007, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi There ! I skipped to grade 2 as a start, I just worked though the AB guide to music theory, which i got of the net. I would have thought if you studied hard its more than doable !! smile.gif

Where can you get that information from? Have you a link at all?
mattacuk
sure! more info can be found here http://www.abrsm.org/?page=exams

smile.gif
OrganisedConfusion
Thanks Matt. I hope the exams go well for me and good luck for your Grade 3 exam smile.gif
mattacuk
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 23 2007, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Matt. I hope the exams go well for me and good luck for your Grade 3 exam smile.gif

Thanks man, i may be doing 4 but see how it goes smile.gif My music teacher gives me tips on how to answer questions too, it all helps ! smile.gif
OrganisedConfusion
I bought the Music Theory in Practice book for Grade 1 and past papers from last 3 years for Grade 1. I am looking forward to starting my Music Theory Road smile.gif
David.C.Bond
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 23 2007, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm wanting to start doing graded exams and I don't know whether I'd be able to learn the stuff for February although I've been playing guitar for 5 years so I am pretty sure I'm quite above this level anyway.

What is involved in Grade 1 Theory with ABRSM?

I skipped straight to grade 5, then did 8, so I'm not 100% sure about the grade 1 syllabus. But I assume it will deal with basic key signatures, note values, time signatures, maybe some basic harmony (notes in chords etc). Nothing too swish, so with 5 years guitar behind you I'm sure you'll ace it. smile.gif

Edit: Just got your PM dude, yeah no problem bring your grade 1 workbook to your first lesson with me and we'll spend some time on that too!
OrganisedConfusion
I did have another question. Once you get Grade 2 in Theory does that totally cancel out Grade 1. So if you get Merit for Grade 1 and Distinction for Grade 2 then all you need to worry about is Grade 2 Distinction?
David.C.Bond
Hmm well grades are just an achievement, it's not like someone comes round to your house and demands your Grade 1 certificate back when you get Grade 2!
Its just like in high school for instance, you could get a B in your Maths SATS, and an A in GCSE Maths, but you still have both qualifications under your belt.
That make sense?
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 24 2007, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm well grades are just an achievement, it's not like someone comes round to your house and demands your Grade 1 certificate back when you get Grade 2!
Its just like in high school for instance, you could get a B in your Maths SATS, and an A in GCSE Maths, but you still have both qualifications under your belt.
That make sense?

Yeah. That makes sense. I guess people wouldn't bother asking for a Grade 1 Certificate when you are Grade 8. I'm going to do Grades in actually playing the guitar at some time also.
David.C.Bond
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 24 2007, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah. That makes sense. I guess people wouldn't bother asking for a Grade 1 Certificate when you are Grade 8. I'm going to do Grades in actually playing the guitar at some time also.

Cool, thats a good idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.