Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question For Bogdan (or Other Bassplayers)
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Davidian
Hi!

My brother wanted a bass for a long time, and today he had the opportunity to buy it. So he did. (Fender Squier Starters Package)
Now he obviously wants to learn how to play...
He got a book in that starters pack, which should keep him busy for a while, but are there any other exercises he should do? Or are there any famous/good songs that are not that hard to play?
(Btw, he mainly listens to hard rock and metal, but I think any style will be ok)

Thank you very much!
-Davidian.
Owen
Money by Pink Floyd is a good one to get the groove going, not really a hard rock song but a nice piece to start out on. smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
So he is starting from scratch (never played an instrument before,guitar maybe)? I would recommend him to start by playing fingerstyle.It may not be easy in the beginning but he'll need to master that technique sooner or later.He should watch out for hands positioning.Left hand fingers should finger strings from approximately 90 degrees angle.Thumb should be on the same position on the other side of the neck.Not hangining over the neck!!! He should play one finger per fret with his left hand.And try to alternate index and middle finger with his right hand (not play with just one finger)..I would recommend him to check out the bass lessons section here at GMC also (I will be doing more lessons soon) to see if anything looks doable to him and try to learn it. Exercises : he should buy a metronome and play basic scales (one finger per fret if possible) up and down..That way he will be getting familiar with fretting notes on bass and develop his left and right hand dexterity..Thats very good exercise. Also he should try to play some songs he likes best..First song I learned was Smoke on the water and Californication..Also songs for bass can be simplified by just following roots and adding few notes from the appropriate scale...

I will do some beginner lessons in the future..(For proper warm up and finger dexterity for example)

What is he learning in the starters book ?? What exercises are included there ?
Davidian
Yes, he's starting from scratch... He once took my guitar, and played Smoke On The Water, but that's it.

He has been practicing for about 4 hours straight now, and only plays with his fingers. He's playing Seven Nation Army now.
I'll tell all the things you mentionned. smile.gif

What is in the book? I took a quick look and from the things I've seen the book contains some basic information: some picking exercises (hand and fingers) and how to fret.
Then it explains where the notes are on the fretboard and how they are called. It gives one or two notes at a time, and then gives some simple licks with those notes.
A little further in the book, I saw some scales (major, minor and blues). And there is also some information about time signatures and note length and stuff like that.
Bogdan Radovic
Well that book sounds great , he should get into where notes are and exercises with licks sounds great! Seven nations army is cool! wink.gif I would recommend Another one bites the dust - queen too..Its easy and fun to play..Also Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit...When he gets comfortable with fretting notes, and goes to scales I made this lesson about playing dead notes ( http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-les...d-notes-lesson/ ) which utilizes G minor pentatonic scale in its first (and later second position)..It can be fairly doable at lower tempos (I included slower backing tracks)..
Davidian
Thanks, Bogdan (and Owen too ofcourse)!
He just learned Another One Bites The Dust, and I think he's starting with the first lesson in the book.
I'll tell him to take a look at your lessons when he's starting with the scales! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.